• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
They should've let Rey die and had Ben bury the lightsabers on Tatooine. Palpatine ultimately loses because his bloodline does not continue and Ben calling himself a Skywalker while his mother and his uncle look on would've been pretty rad.

When Rey "died", that is exactly what I thought the movie name was referring to, it was the ultimate redemption of Ben. Especially after Palpatine explicitly referred to him as the last Skywalker before throwing him down the hole.

Alas not.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Vader living probably would have ended with him rotting in jail, yeah. Leia would not have been accepted as a leader if she and Luke let him go.

Right, Ben spending his life atoning for what he did and fixing the damage he caused in a galaxy that no longer has a centralised government because of his "side" would've been cool.

Even moreso if, as in the Zuko episode in The Last Airbender, anyone that recognises him or finds out who he is would probably try to kill him.

Vader died too
*sorry dp*

Yeah, it's the easy way out. There's a lot more you could've done with an alive Ben than a dead one.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate language, prior infraction for ableism
Finn's suicide run to take out the Star Destroyer indeed stood out as being a complete opposite to what he was supposed to have learned in TLJ. Goddamn terrible.

The movies are so schizo with each other's themes that the ST doesn't actually have any themes that don't contradict itself.

It's just a fucking mess. Individual movies have themes but as a whole, it's meaningless.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
What's even more jagging is that they just skip ahead after Rey get back on the Falcon. Like didn't you thought Chewie was dead for a moment? You didn't even try to hug him?

also: ^ agree. I really feel both Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill are done with SW/ just didn't want to be there. It's even worse for Mark Hamill since he mentioned he didn't agree what Rian did to Luke in TLJ

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
My Odeon cinema had big inflatable Stormtrooper balloons, a couple of people dressed as Stormtroopers and a lady dressed as old school Leia stood outside taking pictures with kids and asking how they liked the film after.

To say that was the highlight of the night shows how I feel about the actual film.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
k3e3gzawmo541.jpg

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Finn, poe and Rey were all at the same place from were they started in the last jedi,
It's getting to the point that this nonsense is highly disingenuous and willfully ignorant.

Finn begins the movie a coward trying to run away from what he views as a hopeless fight. He ends the movie trying to bravely confront them and sacrifice himself in a bid to be a beacon of hope for others, to which Rose reminds him that sacrifice and destroying isn't the answer, but saving lives is.

Poe brashness in the beginning sacrifices the lives of their entire squadron right in the opening and he considers that a worthwhile "victory," because of this hotheaded flyboy attitude. After all the development he goes through, he becomes a more measured leader and has the wisdom to pull the squad back during the end when he sees they're simply throwing their lives away for nothing like he made a bunch of people do in the beginning. Making the hard call to save lives rather than go for victory or bust.

Rey was simply trying to face her fear about her origin and parents and who she is in the universe, and ends the movie with the realization that it doesn't matter where she came from or who her family was, they may as well be nobody, because that doesn't define who she is. She can be comfortable in her own shoes and not be dependent on family ties to win the day for her.

And then this movie happened and threw all of that out. You'd have to be willfully blind to everything that happened in this movie to not see how badly all of this was thrown out the window by JJ.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Say what you will about George Lucas, but Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith are both hugely entertaining movies in their own right, and brought their respective trilogies to a conclusion in a satisfying, meaningful way. Unlike JJ's panicked, directionless "oh shit, we've got to wrap this up!" effort with ROS.

The whole time we were in Palpatine's presence and he was gesturing to the battle going on outside and taunting Rey about how her friends are going to die, all I could think about was how much better it was done in Return of the Jedi.

I can't get this movie out of my head, because I'm slightly in disbelief at how badly they screwed it up.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this, but that was boring.

it's the final one and didn't even deliver some steaks (stakes).

Kerry Russel and the mechanic doesn't deserve any more role. Just let them die.

At least JJ stuck to copying the old trilogies.

the reviews were right. No heart

PS: what happened to the KID JEDIs for TLJ?

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
JJ can't write or direct. What he can do is capture great performances from his cast.

You know getting great performances from your actors is a pretty big part of what it takes to be a good director. Like I don't think anyone is going to disagree that the pacing of this movie is rushed but dismissing JJ as an all around bad director when he did so much well in this trilogy is pretty bold. If anything the problems mostly stem from the fact that Disney did not have a clear map of how they wanted this trilogy to play out and it led to some baffling decisions by the directors.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
It's getting to the point that this nonsense is highly disingenuous and willfully ignorant.

Finn begins the movie a coward trying to run away from what he views as a hopeless fight. He ends the movie trying to bravely confront them and sacrifice himself in a bid to be a beacon of hope for others, to which Rose reminds him that sacrifice and destroying isn't the answer, but saving lives is.

Poe brashness in the beginning sacrifices the lives of their entire squadron right in the opening and he considers that a worthwhile "victory," because of this hotheaded flyboy attitude. After all the development he goes through, he becomes a more measured leader and has the wisdom to pull the squad back during the end when he says they're simply throwing their lives away for nothing like he made a bunch of people do in the beginning.

Rey was simply trying to face her fear about her origin and parents and who she is in the universe, and ends the movie with the realization that it doesn't matter where she came from or who her family was, they may as well be nobody, because that doesn't define who she is. She can be comfortable in her own shoes and not be dependent on family ties to win the day for her.

And then this movie happened and threw all of that out. You'd have to be willfully blind to everything that happened in this movie to not see how badly all of this was thrown out the window by JJ.
Finn a Coward?? Does the force awakens not exist? He already helped the resistance plenty of times and sacrificed himself for his friends in that movie(Kylo battle).

Rian did Poe dirty, the way that he portraits him in that movie doesn't fit in the character of Poe who always listened to Leia.

And Rey can't just be the strongest Jedi and defeat Kylo for no reason, she had to be a somebody for this saga to make sense, as Lucas said many times it's about family.

Nov 8, 2017
I can't get past the logistics of how the Emporer manufactured and manned unlimited Star Destroyer's, had the technology to give each of them the power of a Death Star..all in secret.

I think the implication was the First Order manned them since they mentioned needing to recruit a bunch of new people to crew them.

But yeah wow was this stupid. The visual of the fleet that seemed roughly as large as the entire Empire battle fleet at it's on screen peak in ROTJ was already really really bad. But then they all had planet killing guns, too?

The way they dealt with them was just so wierd too. Like they randomly guessed that it was a major weak point that fucking owned them super fast and it was. Ok... I guess... And then what was with that whole thing about how they can't rise off the evil planet without a navigation beacon because the ships can't tell which way is up? It was a late night screening so maybe my brain missed something here that explained why it made sense for them to not even be able to figure out which way up is? Like forreal?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe I'm saying this, but that was boring.

it's the final one and didn't even deliver some steaks (stakes).

Kerry Russel and the mechanic doesn't deserve any more role. Just let them die.

At least JJ stuck to copying the old trilogies.

the reviews were right. No heart

PS: what happened to the KID JEDIs for TLJ?
There were no kid Jedi in TLJ.

n8 dogg

Oct 25, 2017
Finn a Coward?? Does the force awakens not exist? He already helped the resistance plenty of times and sacrificed himself for his friends in that movie(Kylo battle).

Rian did Poe dirty, the way that he portraits him in that movie doesn't fit in the character of Poe who always listened to Leia.

And Rey can't just be the strongest Jedi and defeat Kylo for no reason, she had to be a somebody for this saga to make sense, as Lucas said many times it's about family.

Finn moves from self-preservation in TFA to rey-preservation at the start of TLJ to resistance-preservation and willing to sacrifice himself.

wow_bob_wow

Oct 28, 2017
another thing about this that makes the hasty answering of questions absurd is that they have an EU. This is a situation that is unique to both the OT and Prequels. OT had no EU at all so it had to answer all questions, while PT had to contend with a backlog of EU. The ST on the other hand has it's own playground.

So, like, you have this director that has a thing for setting up mysteries, but not solving them. Why not just tell him "JJ, try not to set up any more mysteries and try to resolve the main ones on hand, okay? But don't break your back over answering every question because we have an EU. THis is what EU's are basically for. Just make your movie buddy, don't worry about the small stuff."

Everything about the faults of this movie (from what I'm hearing) seem so avoidable.

The sad truth is it's easier to overstuff these movies and distract you by throwing a million things in the plot than to simply deliver on some dramatic writing that resolves conflict in a satisfying way. The only real obligation this movie had after TLJ was resolving the story between Rey and Kylo. Speaks volumes that instead they decided to "wrap up 24 arcs" or whatever.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, was anyone else legit creeped out by Leia?

Like, there was something off about her in a way that even the Rogue One CGI actors wasn't.

It wasn't that she looked wrong, but more that she acted wierd. They tried to write the script around the pieces of recordings they had of her, but it was like a bad photoshop insert except for acting. You could 100% tell that the spoken dialogue and body language she had wasn't intended for the script that they wrote around and you just get flashbacks of Tony Soprano's dialogue with his mother. The most obvious one is her reaction to the news that Palpatine's alive was did not fit at all.

There was something...I don't want to say skincrawling since that's a bit strong, but I had a reaction approaching that, I couldn't stand it. Every time she was onscreen, I wanted the scene to end. It was seriously freaking me out. Am I the only one?

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Say what you will about George Lucas, but Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith are both hugely entertaining movies in their own right, and brought their respective trilogies to a conclusion in a satisfying, meaningful way. Unlike JJ's panicked, directionless "oh shit, we've got to wrap this up!" effort with ROS.

Nah, not even Rey being a Palpy is as bad as the shitty Anakin turn. ROTS is still worse and more boring film IMO .

they call it final order . lmao . fuck off with this shit

I dunno why they just don't call it The Empire, Final Order felt like a game stage or something.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with y'all's point that Palpatine in some way "won" because his "bloodline" lives on.

Sheev doesn't give a single fuck about his bloodline. He was about to kill his granddaughter to suck up her life force. He had his son killed in his attepmt to get ahold of his granddaughter.
Didn't he also just want to be killed so his Dark Force Spirit could somehow possess Rey?

And even if we assume he didn't plot to somehow keep ruling the galaxy (or what's left of it) by himself, but would be fine if it happened via his granddaughter, he still hasn't won. His granddaughter doesn't rule the galaxy. She's not a Sith. Her mere existence isn't in any way, shape or form any kind of success for him. Quite to the contrary.
She's living, breathing proof that the light side of the force is strong enough such that even the "heiress of Darth Sidious" will reject the Sith.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The sad truth is it's easier to overstuff these movies and distract you by throwing a million things in the plot than to simply deliver on some dramatic writing that resolves conflict in a satisfying way. The only real obligation this movie had after TLJ was resolving the story between Rey and Kylo. Speaks volumes that instead they decided to "wrap up 24 arcs" or whatever.

Very much so.

If they'd cut a lot, this movie could have been a lot better if they'd simplified it, spent more time with and focused on three aspects

- Re-emergence of Palpatine
- Ben and Rey dynamic
- Finn / Poe gathering the troops and friends to attack the new First Order fleet

That's it. It wouldn't have helped some major dialogue but it would have helped

May 25, 2019
London
Slept on it. More thoughts:

Can't remember the last time a character had a meaty subplot in one movie, and then got reduced to a glorified extra in its sequel.

Likewise, I can't understand anyone who says they like TLJ and this movie.

I felt like JJ killing Hux like that was his version of aping Rian Johnson's flippant killing of Snoke lol...

Lando's exchange with the ex-stormtrooper lady was....lowkey horny. Reddit tells me there was a subplot cut from the movie where it was revealed he's her father? :|

Chewie's dead! No he's not. C3PO's lost his memory! No he hasn't. Helmet lady died on that planet! No she didn't. On and on, JJ nullifies his own story relentlessly at breakneck pace. Nothing matters. Hollow spectacle. Cynical forcefeeding of Member Berries into a desperate audience's gaping maw, hungry for distraction from the cruel unpredictable world they live in.

People say this movie is bad but not AOTC bad. You know what? I'm pretty sure AOTC has scenes that are longer than 30 seconds long. The prequels are just badly written, but they're coherently directed and edited. Lucas just can't write for shit. JJ can't write or direct. What he can do is capture great performances from his cast.

Someone somewhere made a great observation of him: he directs with the mind of a producer. He comes up with intriguing ideas and just throws them all at the wall. He ramps up the pace, because if he pauses for too long the audience will realise none of this shit makes any sense. He has this obsession with immortality in movies, magic blood in Star Trek, force healing in this movie, fucking Rambaldi in Alias. A writer-for-hire like Chris Terrio can raise concerns about plotholes and character motivations during the outlining stage, but the director is king and has his way. This movie is all on JJ, he decides what stays in and what gets removed. I was indifferent to him before, but now I will actively avoid anything he touches.

Felt the same way about this one vs. the prequels. This one is better looking and better shot from a cinematic perspective, but at least the prequels had a coherent plot that you can follow.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Also every one of Leia's lines in the first part took me out of it so much. It was so obvious that it was cut lines. She was speaking in non sequiturs and then Rey would just be like TOTALLY and then expand on it in a really weird way.

That felt way more ghoulish than if they'd just had Leia start off dead and then maybe use those as flashbacks or Force Ghost... might've been less weird. Even better would've been if Leia was just more prominent in Force Awakens/Last Jedi and they could just, like, flashback cut to lines she'd actually said at the time and they'd be like "yeah Leia was right" or something idk.

It's just funny that the logic is somehow using the outtakes is more respectful to the dead rather than doing the thing they did with young Leia or Tarkin in Rogue One? It's still the same necromancy. Arguably it's almost worse recontextualizing it because it kind of implies "well she would've delivered these lines the same if she knew the context, Carrie Fisher wasn't much of an actor right? so whatever, just carry the weight for her to make it work"

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
You know getting great performances from your actors is a pretty big part of what it takes to be a good director. Like I don't think anyone is going to disagree that the pacing of this movie is rushed but dismissing JJ as an all around bad director when he did so much well in this trilogy is pretty bold. If anything the problems mostly stem from the fact that Disney did not have a clear map of how they wanted this trilogy to play out and it led to some baffling decisions by the directors.

I work with directors so I'm taking into account everything they're responsible for, which is a stressfull amount of stuff, they have to decide basically everything. JJ I imagine is very easy to work with, which is why actors like him, which is why they give committed performances, and he brings productions in on time, etc. But it was his decision to bring back the old cast in Force Awakens, his decision to create the hilariously titled Snoke, his decision to split up the new gang by the end, to end the movie on a cliffhanger, just a calvacade of bad decisions which had a ripple effect across the trilogy. Michael Arndt was the first writer attached to Disney's Star Wars, and wrote the first draft of the Force Awakens which focused more on the new generation, what a shame we never got that.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
your jedi mind trick doesn't work.

The point was to demonstrate that you don't have to be a Jedi to own a part of the force. It's in the text. Luke says this explicitly.

I don't know if posts like yours are intentionally misleading. But they don't recognize the plot or themes of TLJ. That scene makes the point that anyone can have power or be important, regardless of who they are. It expresses that through an orphan to call back to both Luke and Rey, both orphaned, one of who was decadent of a special bloodline and the other who (at the time) was not. It's meant to drill the point home that you don't have to belong to some selected ancestry to own the force, and you don't have to be some incredibly special and rare individual. You can be "a nobody" and still make a difference.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't agree with y'all's point that Palpatine in some way "won" because his "bloodline" lives on.

Sheev doesn't give a single fuck about his bloodline. He was about to kill his granddaughter to suck up her life force. He had his son killed in his attepmt to get ahold of his granddaughter.
Didn't he also just want to be killed so his Dark Force Spirit could somehow possess Rey?

And even if we assume he didn't plot to somehow keep ruling the galaxy (or what's left of it) by himself, but would be fine if it happened via his granddaughter, he still hasn't won. His granddaughter doesn't rule the galaxy. She's not a Sith. Her mere existence isn't in any way, shape or form any kind of success for him. Quite to the contrary.
She's living, breathing proof that the light side of the force is strong enough such that even the "heiress of Darth Sidious" will reject the Sith.

It's not that Sheev won completely. It's that Sheev won against the Skywalkers. He made them go extinct like he wanted them to and now he lives on in his grand-daughter because they're connected by blood forever

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, what was the point of Naomi Ackie's character? other than being some weird spin-off tease ("Lando and Jannah looking for her family")
I don't think she contributed to Finn's (barely existant) character growth... like, at all.
Did they really just avoid having some one-on-one between Finn and Rose?

It's not that Sheev won completely. It's that Sheev won against the Skywalkers. He made them go extinct like he wanted them to and now he lives on in his grand-daughter because they're connected by blood forever

yeah, no. The Skywalker name lives on, the Skywalker spirit lives on, the light side lives on.
Meanwhile: The sith are gone. The empire is gone. The Palpatine name is gone.
ouuuh, up to 25% of his DNA somehow lives on. Woop-dee-doo.

And where do you get the idea from that Palpatine wanted to make the Skywalkers go extinct? He wanted to rule the galaxy. That's been his plan from the get-go.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
His blood rejected him, his politics, and his name. Doesn't sound like a victory to me.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
In retrospect, what was the point of Naomi Ackie's character? other than being some weird spin-off tease ("Lando and Jannah looking for her family")
I don't think she contributed to Finn's (barely existant) character growth... like, at all.
Did they really just avoid having some one-on-one between Finn and Rose?
I assumed it was setting up a Disney+ show. In fact when Lando says "Lets find out..." I expected him to say on "...Disney+"

Oct 28, 2017
BTW, was anyone else legit creeped out by Leia?

Like, there was something off about her in a way that even the Rogue One CGI actors wasn't.

It wasn't that she looked wrong, but more that she acted wierd. They tried to write the script around the pieces of recordings they had of her, but it was like a bad photoshop insert except for acting. You could 100% tell that the spoken dialogue and body language she had wasn't intended for the script that they wrote around and you just get flashbacks of Tony Soprano's dialogue with his mother. The most obvious one is her reaction to the news that Palpatine's alive was did not fit at all.

There was something...I don't want to say skincrawling since that's a bit strong, but I had a reaction approaching that, I couldn't stand it. Every time she was onscreen, I wanted the scene to end. It was seriously freaking me out. Am I the only one?
I wish they would have just recast the role. I mean, I get it, Carrie Fisher was special to this series but damn it's just a movie and not the first time another actor played the part of a fictional character

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing of Kestsis is that he was a survivor of Order 66. The mechanics in-game are silly, but it was fitting for the timeline.

We haven't really seen any adults get involved given we haven't had much of anything post OT in regards to that subject. Hopefully Finn does turn out to be trainable, even if he was robbed of that opportunity in the films if so.

The bold is the most damning thing and true. I enjoyed all three of these movies (and had my issues with them), but it really did feel like going in a circle.

And who knows. Maybe there's enough Empire/First/Last Order fans to start it all again and that's the eternal fate of this franchise.

The entire First Order still exists. There was no big war between resistance and the first order. They destroyed a fleet pulled out of Palpatine's ass. The rest of the galaxy is unchanged compared to the end of TLJ. The only improvement is that the resistance has now the big civilian fleet from Dunkirk and there's no dark side force user. But now everybody can easily build planet destroying space ships it seems.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
The whole time we were in Palpatine's presence and he was gesturing to the battle going on outside and taunting Rey about how her friends are going to die, all I could think about was how much better it was done in Return of the Jedi.

I can't get this movie out of my head, because I'm slightly in disbelief at how badly they screwed it up.

They got spooked so hard by the online reception of TLJ they retreated back to hollow, cowardly fan service. Despite TLJ being a critical and financial smash. Now Skywalker gets a critical drumming and a lukewarm fan reception. What a ride this trilogy has been lol.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Lmao Anakin telling Palpatine's granddaughter to bring balance to the force while ignoring his unconscious grandson who worships him and wants to be like him

Really wish they had made that more obvious. I'm sure there are many out there who didn't notice that nor recognise Qui Gonn and whatever other voices were there. I wish they had made them appear visually rather than just voices.

Probably was my biggest disappointment that we never actually saw Anakin/Hayden in these films with the closest thing being a damaged Vader mask.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You know, killing Chewie in the way the fake out implied, it would have given it a better weight if they'd followed through

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
The entire First Order still exists. There was no big war between resistance and the first order. They destroyed a fleet pulled out of Palpatine's ass. The rest of the galaxy is unchanged compared to the end of TLJ. The only improvement is that the resistance has now the big civilian fleet from Dunkirk and there's no dark side force user. But now everybody can easily build planet destroying space ships it seems.
Did you see the end of the movie? They went out of their way to show that the resistance took out the first order all over the galaxy. Not just on sith planet.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
We saw First Order Star Destroyers go down around the Galaxy in that montage at the end. Somehow killing Palpatine brought them down or something?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
And oh my god, the fucking romance aspect.

Like, okay, fine, Finn and Rose didn't have the greatest chemistry in TLJ. Legit complaint, I get it...

So you have them just....leave it there? Rose kisses Finn while thinking she was dying, he gets her to a med pack. Next movie, they are talking, but awkwardly avoiding having a real conversation. Finn is still trying to find a way to confess to Rey, whose into Kylo Ren turns out, while Finn apparently has Stormtrooper girl seem to be into him? I mean, they really seemed to have a connection going on there.

Like, pick what girl you want that guy to be into and develop it already.

Also, is Finn supposed to be force sensitive again in this movie?

Because he talks a lot about it and often just comes up with answers on the spot because "he feels it".

Nov 8, 2017
Yall blaming Rian Johnson for this mess are in denial. Straight up.

Yeah. I do think that if Ep 8 was more conventional this would have turned out maybe 15% less batshit crazy, but ultimately this is JJ's fuckup. There was nothing unsalvageable about TLJ, it was JJ and Terrio's choice to tell a story that frankly did not fit what came before, then overstuff it with insanity, then make some really bad choices to top it off.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I'll give Sheev a sneak W cause SW has cemented that it can't do anything new so you know one of Rey's descendants are gonna find out about grandpappy Sheev and pull a Kylo Ren to make Sheev proud.

He's probably not even dead anyway. By taking the name Skywalker Rey has double cursed herself with those legacies.

Status
Not open for further replies.