• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Ben Solo and Rey absolutely fucking up the KOR and Red Dudes was one of the the few well executed scenes for me. Ben's complete shift in body language and performance worked really well.
Ben without the cape looked a bit like a dude wearing his pyjamas.

I must say, i really kinda liked the whole "item teleportation" during their force conversations. Paid off nicely with Rey passing the Lightsaber to Ben.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I'll give the actors props for working with what they got anyway. I think everyone did a good job. Had it been well written and not the hot mess it was, it could have been pretty good.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
And honestly, I'm finding it hard to find cuts that would solve the issues. Even by keeping Chewy and 3PO "dead" and not including the Knights would still leave a whole lot of shoved world building and character development.

This being a film that already cut the bomb of the Emperor alive to the opening crawl and trailers.
The first 20 minutes of the movie could have been part of the opening crawl and no one would have missed not seeing it. Let the setting breathe for a second before starting the adventure. It felt like it started with a montage and never stopped.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I was really hoping that midway through they were gonna have to stop on Batuu and it turns into one 15 minute advertisement for Galaxy's Edge where they stop to get drinks at Oga's Cantina and grab some Ronto Wraps before heading off on their journey again

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I know that JJ Abrams wants to create the happy go lucky feel of the original trilogy but I was pretty shocked when the transporter blew up. It was a wakeup call for Rey but it would have been pretty epic if Chewie went out like that but it was too dark for JJs vision.

Also pretty surprised that Daft Punk lady showed up all of a sudden after her planet was destroyed.

Could someone explain what the deal was with C3P0s red arm? I'm told it was explained in a comic?

Some droid sacrificed himself to save c3p0 or something so c3p0 took his arm to honor him.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'll give the actors props for working with what they got anyway. I think everyone did a good job. Had it been well written and not the hot mess it was, it could have been pretty good.
Yeah out of all things I can't say I'm disappointed with any actor except maybe Harrison Ford but what's new there lol.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I disagree. She was searching for belonging and family, she found that in Luke/Leia and her friends. Her adopting the Skywalker name is her acknowledging their bond and what they and she stands for. It makes thematic sense as a resolution to her search for identity.

The thing is that I have to buy that Rey has a bond with Luke but they don't. Certainly not enough of a bond for me to think of Luke as her surrogate father.

She has a weaker bond to him than Luke had to Ben Kenobi.

And Leia doesn't consider herself a Skywalker. Rey choosing the name Skywalker is really because of marketing.

She's not Rey Solo or Rey Organa because those names don't sell like Skywalker in real life.

Rey's just keeping the brand going.

It's artificial.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
The thing is that I have to buy that Rey has a bond with Luke but they don't. Certainly not enough of a bond for me to think of Luke as her surrogate father.

And Leia doesn't consider herself a Skywalker. Rey choosing the name Skywalker is really because of marketing.

She's not Rey Solo or Rey Organa because those names don't sell like Skywalker in real life.

It's artificial.

Skywalker is the name that is told in legends across all the planets. It's not a big leap to wonder why she would be happy to carry on the legacy of Skywalker.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It was the piercing shriek of "CHEWIE!" that did it for me.
Yeah this was probably one of the worst parts of the film for me. Like the intention was for them to think we fell for them killing chewie, they just tricked me into thinking they were stupid enough to do that for a scene. Good job? Wtf is the point of that. Then they do a similar thing again with c3po (tho in a less convoluted way).

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
What I meant is how much the movie is catering to the fans. It was wrote in way that was trying to be inoffensive to anyone but maybe it was just me expecting more and something special from a SW movie. Safe was not the right word. It is more like nostalgic and familiar.

Oh also, I do agree with how derivative some parts of the movie are. Some parts reminds me of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Romeo and Juliet.
You can never cater to all Star Wars fans because there are 3 separate trilogies and people like different things about them, this film had a lot references but it didn't stop it from being its own thing.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah this was probably one of the worst parts of the film for me. Like the intention was for them to think we fell for them killing chewie, they just tricked me into thinking they were stupid enough to do that for a scene. Good job? Wtf is the point of that. Then they do a similar thing again with c3po (tho in a less convoluted way).

multiple people in my theater were shocked and screamed when that happened. Most people believed he was dead.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The family names of the main cast are more adopted than anything else. Organa, Solo. Even Skywalker doesn't come from the 'parent' whose bloodline is responsible for Anakin and Luke's significance.

Choosing to carry that name forward doesn't seem at all strange to me.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about Kylo in this was the finger pointing.

Copied Harrison Ford's legendary finger pointing well.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
"This will make a fine addition to my collection" -Rey, upon getting yet another lightsaber

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
The really annoying thing is that doing this shit multiple times creates such artificial tension.

It's not the actual plot that makes you feel any sense of danger for the characters, but just wondering when JJ's fuckery is going to not be a fakeout and who it's going to happen to.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
multiple people in my theater were shocked and screamed when that happened. Most people believed he was dead.
Yeah you miss my point. I didn't thinkt hey we're pulling a trick. But if they killed him like that, it would have been a horrible, off screen bs death. so the only thing going through my mind at that time was, wow they're fucking idiots. Not, oh no chewie!

There were a few gasps in my theater but it was one of those moments where it also didn't get the reaction you'd think something like that would get. Idk maybe its just me but it was such an unnecessary fake out because it was poorly done. Not in the fact that they didn't trick you, but what the trick was wasn't good. Does that make sense?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke was not.

Han was. Leia doesn't consider herself a Skywalker so choosing Skywalker doesn't even honor. Leia considers Bail to be her father and is surnamed Organa/Solo.
How long are you gonna post this reddit link?
They bonded a bit in TLJ, she even feels his death in the end. Then they bonded some more in TROS.
The bond with Leia is undeniable. It's fine. Doesn't matter that at the end of TLJ Luke isn't exactly her dad figure. It works.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll have an extended cut for this like BvS. The editing for this movie is so bizarre which makes it hard to follow at times.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
If Force Ghosts can use the force, why can't they form an army of invincible Jedi?
Somehow I feel like offing a bunch of jedi to create an army of force ghost jedis would be an abuse of the force that the jedi wouldn't be able to condone. Ideally, the jedi wouldn't want an army of any kind.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah you miss my point. I didn't thinkt hey we're pulling a trick. But if they killed him like that, it would have been a horrible, off screen bs death. so the only thing going through my mind at that time was, wow they're fucking idiots. Not, oh no chewie!

There were a few gasps in my theater but it was one of those moments where it also didn't get the reaction you'd think something like that would get. Idk maybe its just me but it was such an unnecessary fake out because it was poorly done. Not in the fact that they didn't trick you, but what the trick was wasn't good. Does that make sense?

my friend literally turned to me and said, "oh no I can't believe they killed Chewie". So like just becasue you saw through the fake out didn't mean others didn't. Seems like that's exactly the reaction they wanted?

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Leia said something like "never underestimate a droid" then like 5 min later Rey repeated the same line like oh yeah remember when Leia said that a minute ago?. Kinda like the Chewie and 3PO thing, nothing was given any time to cook before the payoff. Everything happened so fast.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I have some complicated feelings About this film. I'll have to see it again.

What I meant is how much the movie is catering to the fans. It was wrote in way that was trying to be inoffensive to anyone but maybe it was just me expecting more and something special from a SW movie. Safe was not the right word. It is more like nostalgic and familiar.

Oh also, I do agree with how derivative some parts of the movie are. Some parts reminds me of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Romeo and Juliet.

ANH was a collection of shots from WWII and Japanese films.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought this made the universe feel smaller than anything. There's so much planet hopping with no indication of time passing that everything feels like they were hopping through portals.

Han, Leia, et al. running from the Empire in ESB felt like they were hiding from the government in a massive forest and taking sanctuary in a place that should have been so remote that they would have never been found. The twist was that the Empire's reach was actually that great.

The traveling around in ROTS felt like kids exploring their block.
This is a problem the entire sequel trilogy has had, and I don't really get it. From planets blown up by Starkiller Base being visible from other systems in real time, to nearly the entirety of The Last Jedi taking place during one chase sequence, to this movie hopping all over the galaxy in a span of less than 16 hours according to the timeline they set early in the movie. They got so into their set pieces on each world that they forgot to put anything that seems like reasonable distance between them to make it feel like a galaxy.

Overall, though, I mostly liked the movie quite a bit more than I was expecting. Most of the themes of The Last Jedi survived despite some of the choices made, and I thought that was particularly vital, so mostly mission accomplished there. The start of the movie was pretty rough since it has to invent Palpatine being here and responsible for everything somehow out of nowhere, but once it gets going it's much more entertaining than not.

Now I really just want to see a Rey adventure movie that has nothing to do with the Empire or any of this other galaxy saving shit. Just a new Jedi roving around a galaxy trying to pull itself out of the ashes of war getting into shenanigans. The stage is set perfectly for this now, and I'm sad we're probably not going to get any follow up on that any time soon.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Skywalker is the name that is told in legends across all the planets. It's not a big leap to wonder why she would be happy to carry on the legacy of Skywalker.

Anakin Skywalker is a treacherous worm that destroyed the Jedi Order and the Republic. It's as infamous as it is famous. Its legacy is mixed.

How long are you gonna post this reddit link?
They bonded a bit in TLJ, she even feels his death in the end. Then they bonded some more in TROS.
The bond with Leia is undeniable. It's fine. Doesn't matter that at the end of TLJ Luke isn't exactly her dad figure. It works.

I can buy the Leia bond but taking the Skywalker name doesn't honor Leia(because that's not a name she's ever used nor does it represent her). It just honors Luke which is the person that's not remotely close to a father figure for her.

Like I said, she's Rey Skywalker because of the brand to the real life audience.

I'm damn sure that Rian didn't know Rey was supposed to be inducted into the Skywalker family or else he would've changed the dynamic so that Rey and Luke could actually build a real father-daughter relationship.

Window

Oct 27, 2017

It's artificial.
So you're issue is with choosing the name Skywalker as opposed to Organa or Solo?

I can kind of understand that.

The thing I don't agree at all with though is that she shouldn't have chosen a last name at all.

Well why not? She was searching for a family, she wanted one and found one.

If it was a character which didn't care about that stuff who adopted the name then I could understand taking issues but the themes have been there since TFA.

Speaking of Leia though, is this the first time in the films she's shown to be a Jedi master?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
She can't pick her mother's maiden name because she doesn't know it. She chose the Skywalker name as Leia and Luke served the role of mother and father that she's missed all her life. While her biological parents are presented as good she doesn't have a deep connection to them. The biggest issue with Rey's heritage in the film was her being related to Palpatine. Adopting the Skywalker name seemed like a fitting conclusion to her arc of identity struggles, as she chose to define who she is based on her experience and people she's met.
Luke is hardly a father figure to her, she barely knows him. She wanted him to be a father figure and got hit with reality, she connected more with Han. Leia has never identified as a Skywalker and would never want to. And then there's Ben, who is a Solo.

The Skywalker name is something old Rey would like cause she's a fangirl over the legend of Luke. TLJ went to great lengths to tear down that fangirling aspect of Rey so she could grow as her own person and not need these important names/people to define her place and purpose in the world. The Solos are the family she actually bonded with. The Skywalker name is something that means more to the audience than it should to Rey.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I swear I cannot remember anything Mark Hamill actually said in this movie. I remember him pulling out the X-Wing and something about training Leia but I wouldn't be surprised if they just rolled up to his house with a portable green screen and shot all scenes on-location.

What a downgrade from TLJ. He had no screen presence whatsoever and felt like he was there just because he basically had to be.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I cannot remember anything Mark Hamill actually said in this movie. I remember him pulling out the X-Wing and something about training Leia but I wouldn't be surprised if they just rolled up to his house with a portable green screen and shot all scenes on-location.

What a downgrade from TLJ. He had no screen presence whatsoever and felt like he was there just because he basically had to be.

His lines and delivery were mediocre at best in this movie.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
There's one thing that would have made TROS perfect. Picture this - during the Rey on Tatooine scene, she's still doing the things she does, burying the lightsabers, etc. but the camera angles are different. As if something is being hidden from the audience. Then the old lady shows up and asks who Rey is, Rey turns around - she's pregnant.

Boom.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So you're issue is with choosing the name Skywalker as opposed to Organa or Solo?

I can kind of understand that.

The thing I don't agree at all with though is that she shouldn't have chosen a last name at all.

Well why not? She was searching for a family, she wanted one and found one.

If it was a character which didn't care about that stuff who adopted the name then I could understand taking issues but the themes have been there since TFA.

Speaking of Leia though, is this the first time in the films she's shown to be a Jedi master?

They're all dead. Choosing a post-mortem family isn't exactly inspirational.

And I think it's better not attach herself to other people's legacies. She can be her own person not chaining herself to a dead family.

But yeah, it'd have made more sense in-story if she took the Solo name as she did bond with Han, Ben and Leia or the Organa name because she did bond with Leia and Leia herself is adopted so that fits nicely in there.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
my friend literally turned to me and said, "oh no I can't believe they killed Chewie". So like just becasue you saw through the fake out didn't mean others didn't. Seems like that's exactly the reaction they wanted?
Again... Im not saying at all that I saw through the fake out. Not sure how else I can say this again.

I'm saying killing chewie that way, were it real would be among the worst scenes in star wars. So for a cheap fake out, whether or not they got you, was so they could have you believe they made and incredibly bad death scene. What is the gain for this scene existing? It was stupid.

Not even speaking of the logistics of no one being able to see a second ship from the top of a hill and nothing else obstructing their view and Rey who can sense chewie from a mile away didn't notice it was the wrong ship.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Anakin Skywalker is a treacherous worm that destroyed the Jedi Order and the Republic. It's as infamous as it is famous. Its legacy is mixed.

I can buy the Leia bond but taking the Skywalker name doesn't honor Leia(because that's not a name she's ever used nor does it represent her). It just honors Luke which is the person that's not remotely close to a father figure for her.

Like I said, she's Rey Skywalker because of the brand to the real life audience.

I'm damn sure that Rian didn't know Rey was supposed to be inducted into the Skywalker family or else he would've changed the dynamic so that Rey and Luke could actually build a real father-daughter relationship.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone, he is, consumed by Darth Vader."

By the point Anakin was killing kids he was manipulated for years by Palpatine and famously returned to the light side. I'm sure in the timeline of the sequel trilogy the Skywalker name holds much more good than bad.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Unearned.

It would've been a much better arc for her if she accepted that she was just Rey.

I wouldn't have minded "just Rey" or "Rey no-one" at the end, but regarding the Skywalker adoption:

An affectionate mother who passed on her knowledge and an absentee Dad who is too focused on his own failures and work to even relate to the child sure sounds like family to me.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No Ben ghost at the end felt a bit weird, as was no Anakin for what is supposed to be the end of his family's saga. The former wasn't shown how to live on in the force, but then again neither were a number of the of Jedi who suddenly phoned Rey.

Probably classifies closer to a headcanon want/nitpick, but damn it seemed odd that it was only Luke and Leia there given Ben's connection to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.