• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Just posted in the review thread but to put it short: I didn't like how safe it went. I think this is the worst out of the three sequels.

At least they got the sequels out of the way now so we can be excited for new things, right?

I went in with low expectation and within 10 mins I rolled my eyes already when they said "the Final Order." And then I saw the fleet and I just started to remember this is a JJ Abrams sequels. He like to add more in the sequels. More Stardestroyers, more rebels.

This movie made me dislike him as a director. He wasted all the talented actors and actresses. I don't like Rose that much because what she did at the end of TLJ, but man, they just straight up ignore her. Finn's character didn't grow much throughout the trilogy. The romances were so forceful. It was jarring. Rey's being Palpatine's granddaughter was a dumb and safe idea. I am fine with her taking the Skywalker name since even if she was not related to anyone, that ending would fit the end of skywalker saga.

Don't even remind me that Palpatine lighting beacon scene. I had to switch off my brain at that point since that was just so stupid. I guess it really fit the end of this decade since there was so many superhero movies released in this decade had cgi nightmare beacons at the end.

wow I am surprised by how much I cared. I never watched any SW movies until a few years ago.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
My headcanon btw is that Rey is "the chosen one" for the Sith. Just like the Jedi had Anakin, the Sith cultists now anticipate their saviour: only she stays a Jedi.

Dec 12, 2017
You could have had just 1 mega Star Destroyer and sold the final battle. Making it into 100s of Star Destroyers turned them into cartoons.

It was overkill.

Also, thanks to JJ, blowed-ing up planets has lost all value and meaning.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
This is my first Star Wars trilogy so I'm just gonna judge it on it's own.

TFA was meh for me but I was hype to see where it'd go next. TLJ was trash to me but I still thought it was beautiful. TROS made me glad that my mate paid for my ticket.

I'm glad this trilogy is over. So many people done dirty it's depressing. Rey got Sakura'd at the expense of Kylo's redemption and this shitty Reylo ship that ruined TLJ for me as well. Rose got done filthy. Finn been getting done filthy since these movies started so no surprise there. They should just abandon this whole trilogy concept if I'm being honest

Never cared for Star Wars prior to the ST but after the bait n switch in TFA I should've known this wasn't going to get any better for me. I hope whoever this movies for enjoys it but I already feel burnt by this franchise lol.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Okay, just got home.

Immediate reaction ...
I liked it. I actually don't have many issues with the main plot beats, they all more or less fit for me. I'm a TLJ fan, and I don't feel this movie takes much away from it - it does fit the pieces together without causing my head to spin, it just does it in a way that I wouldn't have expected. That doesn't make it bad.

However, I really wish it were slower.
I can't help but feel disappointed with how little time we are given in each moment. It really undercut the emotional impact of many things I would have loved - Leia training Rey, Leia besting Luke in a lightsaber training session, several character deaths, Luke's scene, finding out Finn is force sensitive, Lando's recruitment, 3PO wipe, etc etc - lots to love but little time to feel the love.

Rey's full story and a planet of evil cult Sith worshippers and all that didn't really seem that jarring to me - the Jedi have Watcherd and worshippers and temples and hidden planets, we've seen all of this - the Sith would have a balance to that sure, and now we get a look at it. Cloning and whatnot okay that too, we've seen it before, and why wouldn't the most powerful evil wizard ruler do that stuff. Just felt like it would have been way more impactful over two films.

I don't even find it too derivative.
It could have worked really well, if it was all allowed to breathe.

In short, I liked it and believe in it but I wish I felt
More from it.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the thing Finn wants to say is either :
  1. I love you Rey
  2. I'm kinda force sensitive Rey

2 is supported in the final battle when he feels that she's kinda dead.
But then why the fuck does he not want to say that when Poe is around ?
Which pretty much confirms it's 1.
And it goes nowhere.
Ugh.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Luke will be revealed to have had a romance with a character named Mira Jaye a few years after ROTJ, she got pregnant, but was worried about Luke always being in danger (and thus her child) so she left to raise the child in safety. Mom dies in the intervening years, but Skywalker Jr. is out there.

Yep. And said child could get into contact with Ghost! Luke/Ghost!Anakin/Ghost!Leia/Ghost! Ben/Rey to discover their true origins.

KK:

"It's a mixture of emotions [to end this trilogy]," she began. "We've had such an incredible time. It's just flown by. These five years, and doing these three movies.

"And to realise that we're completing the saga. We're not finishing the Skywalkers, necessarily. The could always, in one way or another, reappear, but for right now it is bringing it to a close."

The option is open.

Last edited:

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I didn't like how safe it went.
I'm not sure safe is the right word to describe any of it.
Don't worry. I'm sure your question will be answered in a comic in the near future just like JJ's red C3P0 arm.

The real answer is probably that JJ just forgot since he didn't do the last movie.
The real real answer is, "What last movie? I just did my own thing and pretended there wasn't anything before it."

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Look at this Palpy though, he felt way stronger that in any other movie, motherfucked did a giant ass storm force.

Tbf that's also fault of the movie going crazy with the Force powers.

And she has the blood of him as well as training from Luke and Leia. Sure it's a little far fetched but she definitely received more formal training than Luke ever did.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I sorta wish this pulled a Harry Potter and split this into two films. I could see that working pretty well tbh.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why did Rey have to be related to anyone ffs

It would have been so much better to keep her a nobody. Meaning everyone can be a jedi master.

Ending shot:

'Who are you?'

'Just Rey'

Boom ending credits. So much more powerfull imo
Yeah there were a few things that felt like they just completely missed the mark of what was built up. Rey being her own person was a huge thing.

The other thing for me was the kiss. Felt like cousins kissing, either they completely presented their relationship fucked up or they just don't know what relationship they built up there.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I don't follow the argument that JJ made Star Wars small with Rey's lineage. Yea, she's related to someone well-known but if anything this film finally makes the sequel trilogy feel big.

Loads of new planets (glimpsed for two minute scenes)
I actually thought this made the universe feel smaller than anything. There's so much planet hopping with no indication of time passing that everything feels like they were hopping through portals.

Han, Leia, et al. running from the Empire in ESB felt like they were hiding from the government in a massive forest and taking sanctuary in a place that should have been so remote that they would have never been found. The twist was that the Empire's reach was actually that great.

The traveling around in ROTS felt like kids exploring their block.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the scene was cheesy but it did kind of make sense. Luke and Leia both trained her and were the closest thing she had to parents.

Luke was not.

Daisy: "Rey was looking for a parent figure and Luke just wasn't that for her"

Han was. Leia doesn't consider herself a Skywalker so choosing Skywalker doesn't even honor. Leia considers Bail to be her father and is surnamed Organa/Solo.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow the argument that JJ made Star Wars small with Rey's lineage. Yea, she's related to someone well-known but if anything this film finally makes the sequel trilogy feel big.

Loads of new planets (glimpsed for two minute scenes), new characters, lots of intentional blank space that future stories can fill.

It's a whole galaxy, and somehow it's not enough that the new people have to meet all the old ones, but one has to be secretly related to one of them. Oh, and another is a known relative already. Who also happens to technically be related to the other descendent as well.

The whole damn galaxy, and somehow it works out that way? That's what people mean.

Yes, there's a whole lot of stuff to explore that the film introduced, and hopefully they do. Still has no impact on the above issue, plus the ST stuff has been notoriously ignored. We had some prequel stuff lightly touching on the circumstances on the time between the OT and ST, and Resistance and some light tie in comics. That's pretty much it. Very little on how the FO became a force to be reckoned with. Nothing on Snoke. Very little on Ben's turn and intro to the FO. Not much on the planets except, of all the places, Jakku over a single battle. Luke's academy. Maz' whole deal.

Hell, there's been more devotion to exploring the theme park planet than anything with these newer films. Marvel comics seems to be picking up on some stuff finally, but compared to PT-OT timeframes it's abysmal.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So, the thing Finn wants to say is either :
  1. I love you Rey
  2. I'm kinda force sensitive Rey

2 is supported in the final battle when he feels that she's kinda dead.
But then why the fuck does he not want to say that when Poe is around ?
Which pretty much confirms it's 1.
And it goes nowhere.
Ugh.
I doubt its 2.
Why would he desperately want to tell her he's force sensitive. Doesn't make much sense

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Btw if you dig deep enough into the old hellsite forum, you could see back in 2015 that I somehow predicted a lot of this stuff happening, like Rey being a Skywalker by name only.

I wish I was wrong now.
A lot of people predicted a lot of these things (including Skywalker by name). The critic consensus is that it's too predictable.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
does it matter? Did she have to pick a well known name?
She can't pick her mother's maiden name because she doesn't know it. She chose the Skywalker name as Leia and Luke served the role of mother and father that she's missed all her life. While her biological parents are presented as good she doesn't have a deep connection to them. The biggest issue with Rey's heritage in the film was her being related to Palpatine. Adopting the Skywalker name seemed like a fitting conclusion to her arc of identity struggles, as she chose to define who she is based on her experience and people she's met.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I sorta wish this pulled a Harry Potter and split this into two films. I could see that working pretty well tbh.
With everything they wanted to do, I wouldn't have blamed them. It would have been probably a better film. They really needed to cut tons of scenes to make this film work as a whole but they wouldn't have time for every character to come back and take their bow three or four times.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it was hilarious when Rey blew up Chewie

I found it frustrating when the movie kicked things off by undoing literally every good thing from the Last Jedi, but then the Rey Palpatine reveal happened and it was so funny that I just completely switched off from caring and was able to enjoy it

also just me who found it weird to hear everyone referring to him as Palpatine? I know it's his name but they never really called him that before. In the originals, he was just the Emperor. In the prequels, Chancellor Palpatine was an alias and he was referred to as Darth Sidious when he was all robed up and cackling like a maniac

I'm legit disappointed that out of all the fan service, JJ didn't name drop Sheev.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure safe is the right word to describe any of it.
What I meant is how much the movie is catering to the fans. It was wrote in way that was trying to be inoffensive to anyone but maybe it was just me expecting more and something special from a SW movie. Safe was not the right word. It is more like nostalgic and familiar.

Oh also, I do agree with how derivative some parts of the movie are. Some parts reminds me of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Romeo and Juliet.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
She can't pick her mother's maiden name because she doesn't know it. She chose the Skywalker name as Leia and Luke served the role of mother and father that she's missed all her life. While her biological parents are presented as good she doesn't have a deep connection to them. The biggest issue with Rey's heritage in the film was her being related to Palpatine. Adopting the Skywalker name seemed like a fitting conclusion to her arc of identity struggles, as she chose to define who she is based on her experience and people she's met.

Unearned.

Daisy:"Rey was looking for a parent figure and Luke just wasn't that for her"

It would've been a much better arc for her if she accepted that she was just Rey.

WJD

Nov 4, 2017
Ben Solo and Rey absolutely fucking up the KOR and Red Dudes was one of the the few well executed scenes for me. Ben's complete shift in body language and performance worked really well.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With everything they wanted to do, I wouldn't have blamed them. It would have been probably a better film. They really needed to cut tons of scenes to make this film work as a whole but they wouldn't have time for every character to come back and take their bow three or four times.
And honestly, I'm finding it hard to find cuts that would solve the issues. Even by keeping Chewy and 3PO "dead" and not including the Knights would still leave a whole lot of shoved world building and character development.

This being a film that already cut the bomb of the Emperor alive to the opening crawl and trailers.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
This has probably been said before, but when Sheev was explaining the whole all this sith are in him / strike him down and they'll be transferred to Rey all I was thinking was:

Star Wars is Highlander now.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I know that JJ Abrams wants to create the happy go lucky feel of the original trilogy but I was pretty shocked when the transporter blew up. It was a wakeup call for Rey but it would have been pretty epic if Chewie went out like that but it was too dark for JJs vision.

Also pretty surprised that Daft Punk lady showed up all of a sudden after her planet was destroyed.

Could someone explain what the deal was with C3P0s red arm? I'm told it was explained in a comic?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I could have seen it being a really cool part 1 ending where they swap the beginning of this film and end it with Kylo coming across Palpatine. You could have him speak to Kylo but not reveal he's completely back until the end.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Unearned.

It would've been a much better arc for her if she accepted that she was just Rey.
I disagree. She was searching for belonging and family, she found that in Luke/Leia and her friends. Her adopting the Skywalker name is her acknowledging their bond and what they and she stands for. It makes thematic sense as a resolution to her search for identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.