• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
No lie, thought when the Resistance were trying to figure out how the Star Destroyers were supposed to fly into orbit, it'd be Sheev that Force lifts all the ships up off the ground and into space, himself.
Haha! I'd accept that over them all being crewed and ready to roll. There were so many of em.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I mean....you think the Palpatine Skywalkers will be be cursed any less than the Skywalkers?

Anyways, Kathleen Kennedy has already said that they're not done with the Skywalkers yet, lol
Rey was seduced to the dark side but she was able to resist unlike Anakin and Ben, the prophecy of a "chosen one" actually came from the Dark side this time which explains why she was able to kill Sheev.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I know Lando is a charming guy but I think even he would struggle to round up that many ships in what must have been 10 minutes.

Dec 12, 2017
The first 10 minutes sets the tone

60 seconds in a bad guy thought dead for two movies and 30 years shows up, does an exposition dump and then the other 8 minutes is the Millennium Falcon being shot at by a video game number of bad guy ships at high speed through 7 - 8 locations

Pacing JJ. Pacing.
My guess is JJ's draft of 8 included the ending with Kylo discovering he was played and gasp! Palpatine had been alive all this time, pulling his strings.

Likely his middle movie cliffhanger.

So he starts with some weird sequence where he truncates those themes into a short sequence.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
one thing in particular that is killing me in retrospect is the bass boosted force lightning. How did no one realize how stupid that sounded? how did no one realize that inappropriate bass boosting is one of the most common audiovisual memes out there?

This also ties into the wildly excessive yet boring displays of force power in this movie. it starts off early, with apparently kylo and rey being able to teleport objects to each other. because of their deep bond. because of how once he tried to get her to fuck him while he was actively facilitating the murder of hundreds of her comrades by laser barrage at that very moment.

Then Rey can cure life-threatening wounds. this again is apparently from her deep bond. you know, the literal exact power that Anakin turned to the dark side in order to find. just needed a deep bond with a sociopath.

Palpatine can bass boost force lightning due to the power of the ghost of every sith that has ever lived. huh. now hold on, you're telling me this is the same guy whose force lightning slowly, ever so slowly was killing luke in a vastly inefficient and painful way at the end of return of the jedi? and he was actually able to make it strong enough to attack an entire fleet of literally every ship? and despite that it kinda just EMPs them in a really flaccid way?

And of course: Rey discovers how to go Super Jedi God Super Jedi by tapping into the ghosts of dead jedi and placing her laser swords in a cross pattern, thus creating a wave of disintegrating energy. light side energy. right? cause light can disintegrate things if its bright enough, i bet.

Wow, the previous movie made it seem like a solo quest for overwheming power would lead to ruin but apparently all you need is to suck all the power juice out of ghosts and shoot it at the bad guy.

whatever happened to not striking him down in anger? is it ok if you do it with ghost power? the ghost power allows you to ignore your own feelings and erase all evil from existence with no consequences? well that's nice, because i had previously thought this was a metaphor for something but I'm glad its just about disintegrating an old man.

---

TL;DR: I think that's how I feel about this entire movie. "Well, I previously thought literally any of this was a metaphor for our actual lives and morality and world, but I guess this is literally just a series about how fucking cool it is to have a big War in the Stars."

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liked both TFA and TLJ despite their issues, went in expecting this to be the best of the trilogy...

Holy shit am I disappointed. The pacing was atrocious. It was like they were jamming two movies into this single one, and it did not work at all. Could we spend at least 2 minutes in any given scene? Please? The entire first act felt like it was on fast forward. There was not adequate time spent basically anywhere. No actual scenes just between two characters, except sort of the one Poe/Zuri scene -- but even that was for a plot reason. This was just 200% plot macguffins the movie, with just about nothing else. I think the overall plot was fine, and maybe would have worked over two movies, but it just did NOT here. They needed to cut at least one of the steps/locations. I feel for poor John Williams who is trying his best to make great compositions to this but can barely get out a few melodies before he has to swap to a new scene and track.

That's just the tip of this shitshow though.

Finn is just a terrible character. And when I say that, I mean what a missed opportunity. He had a great arc in TFA and then he proceeded to be a complete sidekick character for two movies straight. They did literally nothing with him. His arc here was what? Almost telling Rey he liked her twice? I guess he had the one very minimal scene where he and Jannah both have a shared past, but they dwelled on that plot point (like everything) for only 30 seconds, so it did not resonate in any particular way.

On Jannah, she seemed cool, but also seemed to have no real purpose here other than to bring space goats to the fight? Maybe if they really went into the kidnapped kid stormtrooper stuff this would have worked better (and given Finn an actual arc), but as it stands this is just more missed potential.

Lando shouldn't have been in this movie. Literally they show up on Passana, not knowing exactly where to start, Lando tells them where the thing is, and then goes away until the end of the movie -- really? On top of that, he says he and Luke came here looking for it... so as Lando just chilling here for 20 years or something? Luke just left him in this desert planet cause he liked it? What? And beyond that, Luke really gave up looking for this thing? Especially given Rey and crew find it almost instantly? It makes no sense.

Also, Di-Oh (or however you spell it)... what was his purpose? Just merchandising? He did literally nothing except exist.

Taking a pause on specific character things for a second... they went to the "we killed the character, but SURPRISE just kidding not really" well WAY too many times. Like, I can maybe accept it once, just once. This movie did it FIVE times. Chewie, C3P0, Rey, Zuri, and Kylo Ren. Actually they do Kylo Ren twice technically. Oh... and Palpatine of course starts the movie just back from the dead. So, like, what the hell? Other than badguys, Leia was the only character actually allowed to really die -- because her actress is dead IRL. The concept of death just loses all meaning in a movie when you do this.

Speaking of 3P0's... what an absolutely dumb contrivance that whole sequence even was. "I can read it, but I'm not allowed to tell you." Seriously? This is like amateur hour writing.

The Rebel spy stuff with Hux... what? It makes 0 sense with his previous characterization. Even if you want to go with what the movie wants you to go with and say if Kylo goes he becomes Supreme Leader... that doesn't work because Richard E Grant is clearly above him in rank and was part of the First Order prior to Palpatine (at least in this movie). It just makes no sense, and then he dies immediately. Like what was actually his plan?

Speaking of trying to turn Space Nazis into good guys... Kylo just straight up isn't redeemable, sorry. He literally killed his dad. It is supremely dumb they went with the cop out expected redemption. And even worse that Rey actually had a romantic kiss with him. Like what?

Rey... Like with the previous movies she comes across incredibly boring. Very stoic, and we already did the dark side temptation song and dance in the last movie. After Rian backed away from her and Kylo joining forces in that movie (to be stopped in this one), which could have been potentially interesting, you can't really go to that well again... but they did. Even though it was blatantly obvious she would be the good guy. She's just so generic. I can't say anything particularly negative or positive about her. I wish she was more interesting.

For being the "end of the Skywalker saga" boy is Luke Skywalker barely in this, huh? I know he's dead and all, but after Yoda burned that tree... and he can clearly still lift X-Wings out of the sea and stuff... why is that stopping him? Even if he wasn't more directly joining the action, he should have been in this more. I feel like JJ was just utterly afraid to use him at all. As a result there's also 0 payoff to his line to Kylo in the last movie about seeing him again.

As for Poe, I liked what was going on with him and Zuri, but it was so barely there (because like everything else there wasn't enough time spent to build it properly) that it's really just one of those few things (beyond the production design) I actually say I somewhat liked. A lot of it rides on Oscar Isaac's inherent charisma too.

Palpatine was doing his Palpatine thing. I gotta be honest, it felt like Palpatine's greatest hits at times. They got in "Do it", "Strike me down", and probably a few others I missed. I can't say any of his plans in this movie really make any sort of sense.

The "Dyad" stuff is so barely explained, and seems to be a contingency anyways. He originally wanted Rey to kill him so all siths ever would transfer into her, but then she eventually did... and it didn't happen. Is that really how it works? It don't make no sense.

And on that note, the actual ending of the final confrontation was supremely flacid. All the siths in one vs all the Jedi in one is such a dumb action figure clashing together thing, I actually laughed. And simply reflecting Palpatine's lightning back at him with an extra lightsaber was enough to kill him? Lol. What was even the point of draining Rey and Kylo to get young and powerful again if he was just going to go out like that? They couldn't even have him actually fight her for half a minute to give the illusion of a satisfying climax?

The other side of the climax was also flacid. The space battle was a decent setup. Thousands of star destroyers vs thousands of good guys... but it kinda just... happened? Like there was no real discernible thing the rebels or the FO did other than fly around/try to fly around, apart from Finn and Jannah landing on the bridge and targeting it. It didn't feel like there was any sort of real story to the battle. It's like they didn't even care what was happening there and it was entirely backdrop because they felt they needed it.

Also, the very end with the random woman asking Rey who she was to contrive a reason for her to say Rey Skywalker is one of the worst things in this whole series. I mean, it's equally as bad as Han Solo's last name needing an explanation in the Solo movie, I suppose, but it gets extra bad points for being the thing that closes out the whole trilogy, and saga.

I can probably do some actual nitpicks like the completely unexplained Knights of Ren or the the seemingly thousands of Sith cultists that somehow exist on this impossible to reach planet with no discernible resources, but I'd be here all night.

I just expected way more... I can't believe how this ended up

At least the production design was aces.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Paraphrasing, your parents were nobodies but I didn't say anything about your grandfather!
That really isn't different from Obi-Wan's 'from a certain point of view'.

I didn't care for Rey being a Palpatine though.

"nobodies who sold you for drinking money, and are buried in a paupers grave on Jakku"
Also "you come from nothing, you are nothing"

Must be some 4D view :)

Also, Di-Oh (or however you spell it)... what was his purpose? Just merchandising? He did literally nothing except exist.

yeah, I mean, it was a fun droid, but much of the franchise is for merchandizing. Phasma and the new Sith Troopers too.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
The more I think about it the more i kind of love it. It's the sort of hypothetical star wars movie my friends and i spent endless amounts of time bullshitting about in middle school, except now it's real.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Rey was seduced to the dark side but she was able to resist unlike Anakin and Ben, the prophecy of a "chosen one" actually came from the Dark side this time which explains why she was able to kill Sheev.

Luke and Leia? They like exist. And Sheev Palpatine does too.

Whatever faults you'll find in the Skywalker bloodline, you'll surely find in Palpatine's.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Open spoilers right?

The very last scene made me laugh out loud. I was hoping she would say "no one" but once I saw Luke and Leia, I knew...

Rey being nobody is far more interesting than being Palpatine's granddaughter. It just makes the entire universe (well, galaxy) feel entirely too small. Apparently everyone is related and knows one another? Billions of solar systems, countless worlds and an even more inscrutable amount of beings, and yet every major character is someone's dad or cousin.

Its one of many things that falls into the trap of being way to convenient.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Bigger we're making this shit up as we go moment : Leia is a Skywalker or Rey is a Palpatine

The Leia twist happened because they had to tie up a loose end from Empire once George made it clear he didn't want to do a sequel trilogy. It was kinda dumb but I see the reasoning behind it. The Rey Palpatine thing was just... why?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A scene I did find funny was the First Order Boardroom. Got that First order Officer like what does Palpatine expect from us for all of this stuff. Its like dude you are part of an organization that is dedicated to Palpatines Empire. Why you questioning what the Emperor wants? What do you think the Emperor wants when he tells the Galaxy hes back for Revenge and surrender or Die.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is JJ's fault.

Rian was trying to give JJ as much of a blank slate as possible. If he was giving him sets up, JJ would have to follow up on those and I don't think Rian wanted to direct JJ on what to do but like the hack JJ is, he just decided to redo ROTJ but with nonsensical fanservice
Yup.

At least Rian didn't leave it at a spot where JJ had literally no choice but to start the next movie minutes after the last movie, like TFA did.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Finn is just a terrible character. And when I say that, I mean what a missed opportunity. He had a great arc in TFA and then he proceeded to be a complete sidekick character for two movies straight. They did literally nothing with him. His arc here was what? Almost telling Rey he liked her twice?

I agree with all of your write up but oh man, this was physical cringe in the cinema

When they were sinking in the sand type pit when he started to say it. It was like...EHHHHH???? You spent some time side by side in TFA and then spent TLJ with Rose.

It's a real shame, I liked the idea of Finn a lot in TFA

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Palpatine's lightning becomes way more powerful because he siphons the Force from Rey and Ben.

That's what I thought too but Palpatine reverts to his ROTS look, which implies he's at his ROTS level.

The power levels in this are just insane. Rey being able to stop a cruiser in the air was something Yoda would have a hard time with.

It's basically an EU novel come to life.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Palpatine can suck the force out of anybody makes any other Star Wars movie totally pointless.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had two guys burst into uncontrollable laughter when Reylo was confirmed in my showing lol.

Nobody even got mad at them lol.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Yup.

At least Rian didn't leave it at a spot where JJ had literally no choice but to start the next movie minutes after the last movie, like TFA did.
This argument is tired and bad. There is nothing about the end of TFA that dictated where Rian had to start his movie. It is fiction, the story could have continued from anywhere.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My impression was that Rian was giving a blank slate to Colin. And when JJ was hired for IX, he tried to finish what he started.

The problem with though is you're then effectively made two Episode VIIs then, which I think it part and parcel of the issue here. Instead of a VII and VIII to naturally lead into IX, you got two duelling VIIs. TFA is trying to set the slate, then TLJ is also trying to set the slate and now you're down to one movie left.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
but even so you can't claim it was never foreshadowed in this trilogy. Rey being drawn to the darkness in TLJ and never even really apologizing or thinking that it was wrong.

That pretty much happened with Anakin, Ben and even Luke too, it's just some force apprentice stuff at this point. Hell Luke saw his vision of him being Vader, close to how Rey sees her vision of her being a Sith.

It's was JJ who himself made Luke saber "speak" to Rey and making her hear all the Jedi voices in TFA, to latter making the asspull that nope, she's a Palpatine and with a big dark side.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Luke is an idiot, he should have force pulled up Vader's saber and destroyed Sheev once and for all in ROTJ. Or can only Palpatines become Super God Ghost Jedi/Sith

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I don't know which is the most unnecessary kiss, Rey and Kylo or Superman and Lois among the wreckage and bodies in Metropolis.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As negative as I sound on it, I still kinda want to see it again, its just not the same as TFA or TLJ where I wanted to go again right away.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Luke is an idiot, he should have force pulled up Vader's saber and destroyed Sheev once and for all in ROTJ. Or can only Palpatines become Super God Ghost Jedi/Sith
Actually I'd forgotten about this, I love that this movie retroactively explains Palpatine wanting Luke to strike him down, as a Sith Rule of Two ritual where the master goes on living in the apprentice.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Bigger we're making this shit up as we go moment : Leia is a Skywalker or Rey is a Palpatine

Rey Palpatine, by far.

Honestly, as much of an asspull as Leia being Luke's sister was, it still works. Like, it wasn't planned, but rather than overtly contradicting something from a previous movie it actually fits. Yoda says "No, there is another" in ESB, which wasn't written about Leia at the time but fits perfectly well after the revelation. You also have Luke reaching out to speak to Leia as he's hanging from Cloud City; again, not something that was written with Leia being Force-sensitive in mind, but in retrospect it fits in perfectly well. And the way it works in the Throne Room scene where it gives Vader something to needle Luke with to try and coax some Dark Side out of him is great.

For Rey being a Palpatine to work they need to backfill and retcon so much shit, and it's done with all the grace and elegance of a dumptruck. The line in TLJ is:

"They were filthy junk traders. Sold you off for drinking money. They're dead in a pauper's grave in the Jakku desert. You come from nothing. You're nothing."

And in TROS Kylo has to be like "Well, actually...". And, what does Rey being a Palpatine serve? What good does it do, other than just wipe out TLJ's message that you don't have to come from an ancient royal bloodline to do good in the world? It's a bad retcon, poorly executed, and the story is worse for it :P

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Open spoilers right?

The very last scene made me laugh out loud. I was hoping she would say "no one" but once I saw Luke and Leia, I knew...

Rey being nobody is far more interesting than being Palpatine's granddaughter. It just makes the entire universe (well, galaxy) feel entirely too small. Apparently everyone is related and knows one another? Billions of solar systems, countless worlds and an even more inscrutable amount of beings, and yet every major character is someone's dad or cousin.

Its one of many things that falls into the trap of being way to convenient.

Just generally, media needs to stop using family lines as a crutch. So dull and predictable.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the issue with the Holdo Maneuver line. It's established that:

• Generally, calculating coordinates for a hyperspace jump takes time, especially for a person. Most ship sensors will pick up on this and alert with enough time to maneuver. Holdo needed the fleet distracted and focused on the kill (and counting on perhaps some arrogance and luck) to pull it off.
  • Smaller ships don't cause enough damage. Meeting a much larger object would just atomize fighter craft.
  • It costs lives as it destroys the craft conducting the maneuver. When the suggestion was made, the Resistance consisted of a handful of fighter squadrons, the Falcon, and a single corvette. None of them with the mass to deal with 10,000 Star Destroyers or even a significant fraction.
Out of everything in the film, it counts among the most harmless of any faults if it is classified as such.

The closest thing to a retcon the film had was Rey's parentage, and that's if you had taken the word of Kylo Ren.
You can just lightspeed into the planet. Problem solved.

It would genuinely annihilate the planet and everything on it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm just a sap. As I loved just about all of it.

The weird dagger shape was really the only thing I found dumb and it wasn't enough to bring me down.

Not gonna lie I actually got a little misty eyed when Lando showed up with a big ass fleet to the Star Wars theme.

This is the Platinum games of Star Wars movies to me. Wall to wall crazy ass nonsense bullshit and I live for that.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like, remember when it took like 22 movies before we fucking hear 'Avengers.... assemble' and everyone lost their minds because holy shit they did it they got the hokey-est-it-will-never-work-on-screen thing from the comics to work and to have meaning and be one of the best moments of that entire series of movies.

What do we get here?

"Dudes, go and get help."

And, then, suddenly, for some reason... everyone just shows up. And that's kinda that. And it didn't really matter anyway. I guess that sums up the whole movie for me. Absolutely nothing was earned. Not a single damn thing. Every meaningful moment was overwritten seconds after it happened. The themes were, at best, flimsy as fuck and at worst just thrown into the pot because there has to be something there, right?

And the treatment of Rose was just the biggest 'fuck you' I can remember. Awful. Yes, sideline an established character for maybe Lando's daughter which comes out of fucking nowhere and is absolutely fucking meaningless.

Also why the lady with the helmet wearing eyeliner under it? Like, what the fuck?

Also, y'all are telling me the Death Star blew up, crashed on Endor, then someone made a dagger pointing to Maguffin town like it was the fucking Goonies or some shit? Come on.

I don't even want to get into the Rey bloodline. It's fucking stupid.

It is not a good movie. At all.

Man the tragedy of Darth Plaguis the Wise aint got shit on the sequel trilogy.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I will say this is the first movie where I like all 3 of the main heroes. I really liked Rey and Finn in TFA but Poe was underrepresented. Rey's storyline in TLJ is amazing but Finn's is boring and Poe's makes zero sense. In this one all 3 felt like good characters (though Finn was given another female companion for some reason when they probably should have developed the relationship with Rose that was established, albiet poorly, in TLJ)

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
This argument is tired and bad. There is nothing about the end of TFA that dictated where Rian had to start his movie. It is fiction, the story could have continued from anywhere.
If you continue it from anywhere that isn't on that island you end up having to do dumb flashbacks to show Luke and Rey's interactions. That's terrible film structuring.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Luke and Leia? They like exist. And Sheev Palpatine does too.

Whatever faults you'll find in the Skywalker bloodline, you'll surely find in Palpatine's.
Luke created Kylo, even though he and Leia were strong with the force they failed Ben. As far as we know Sheev's family didn't have any interest in the force, her parents were nobodies.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Leia twist happened because they had to tie up a loose end from Empire once George made it clear he didn't want to do a sequel trilogy. It was kinda dumb but I see the reasoning behind it. The Rey Palpatine thing was just... why?
Because of JJ needing a payoff for his set up in TFA and a certain part of the fanbase wanting the universe small and everything be connected.

Could have been worse. Could have been a Kenobi or something just as pure and nonsensical fan bait.
I don't know which is the most unnecessary kiss, Rey and Kylo or Superman and Lois among the wreckage and bodies in Metropolis.

The latter. While it was undeserved, there was some sense to Reylo given their connection and each trying to reach out to the other out of want.

Man of Steel on the other hand...that was a spit to the face of that character's history.
He said he could only do it because rey+kylo were a force diode.
He didn't know until he Force Drained them iirc. He was just doing it as a way to benefit him with the body he had since Rey wasn't cooperating, and was pleasantly surprised to feel this connection (despite Snoke knowing about this connection?)

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
That was the dumbest, hackiest fanfic of a movie I've ever seen and I had a ton of fun. JJ thought Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.