• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Yes yyyyyeeesss! Sounds like it's exactly what I want. Star Wars is best when it's epic in scale. It's a modern myth, it should be about good versus evil on a grand scale. This sounds great.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think a lot of professional critics will be happy if it really was "rude to Rian Johnson." But it doesn't sound like it is going to get panned or be mediocre either. Happy it is going to go out well (hopefully).

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Damn, that impressions thread is getting a bit messy. Going to avoid it and hide out here only until I see it on Thurs.

Also, based on that thread, the review thread (especially if under 80% RT rating) is going to be really ugly 😕.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
time to go full dark

edit: i also suggest avoiding yahoo.com, they've got a lot of suggested articles that tend to give no fux

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? As long as 2/3rds of the movie isn't a waste of time and we get some good conclusions for Rey/Kylo, it will already be the best final film in a Star Wars trilogy.

(I don't think very highly of Return of the Jedi outside the throne room scene).

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow, I got tickets for Saturday morning.

The red carpet didn't have any near slip-ups, like, say Gwyneth Paltrow at the Endgame red carpet. Given the junket of the past week or so, they kept it kinda low key. There was more plot-stuff said about the previous Mandalorian episode than the movie. The biggest surprise was...sister...twin sister (Kathleen Kennedy's twin sister, total look-alike AND sound-alike).

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My series rewatch continued last night with The Empire Strikes Back. Man, it's remarkable how that movie flows so quickly from one memorable scene to another. It also stuck out to me that, for all the talk it gets about being the "dark" one, there's a lot of levity and humor in it. Granted, it gets slightly misplaced with 3PO's comments in Cloud City toward the end, but the movie is still an absolutely joy to watch.
I am doing this too. However I started the phantom menace and realized that whenever I start with the prequels I never finish my watch through. Skipped the prequels and just started up Empire. Good stuff.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow, I got tickets for Saturday morning.

The red carpet didn't have any near slip-ups, like, say Gwyneth Paltrow at the Endgame red carpet. Given the junket of the past week or so, they kept it kinda low key. There was more plot-stuff said about the previous Mandalorian episode than the movie. The biggest surprise was...sister...twin sister (Kathleen Kennedy's twin sister, total look-alike AND sound-alike).
Is that what that was? I just saw the screenshot and thought Kennedy just had a lookalike who happened to be there, not a real twin lol.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Yep, looks like it's time for media blackout.

Making the four hour trek to Phoenix today for the Skywalker saga marathon which starts tomorrow night. Hopefully that will insulate me from spoilers a bit early.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
For me it sounds like both people who liked and disliked TLJ enjoyed this one, but the people who disliked TLJ can't give up fighting this stupid war.

OP
OP
MMarston

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I just rewatched TLJ in preparation for tomorrow. I still enjoy it so much. Starting with the throne scene is such a wild epic ride. So many gorgeous shots, so many subtle hints. The Rey-Kylo link that was supposed to be made possible by Snoke but was present there also after he died. Both their visions about each other which again might or might not be created by Snoke. There are actually plenty of open doors for TROS. I still don't see what is supposed to be retcon beyond Rey's parents which are not even that important for TLJ's story itself.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm rewatching The Force Awakens, and noticed this pretty interesting bit of dialogue in the first Snoke scene. Snoke's first line of dialogue in the movie is:
"The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance, leading them to THE LAST JEDI. If Skywalker returns, THE NEW JEDI WILL RISE."

This is also the scene where Snoke also references the name of Episode 7 when he says "there's been an awakening"

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Just got done watching Last Jedi for the first time (what the fuck is supposed to be wrong with it???????? so confused) and am in line for Rise now.

Pretty pumped.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Just got home from watching it. Since there are no spoilers allowed, I'll just give my briefest thoughts.

I liked it. Stuff happens that I like. Some that surprised me. And very little that I didn't like.

For the record, I liked TFA and found TLJ even better. So that makes the Sequel Trilogy 3 for 3 with me.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just came out of it.

I'm in disbelief.

Awful ending.

Legacy of all previous 8 films completely wasted.

Insane that they went with this.

I genuinely feel bad for hating on the last jedi after seeing this.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm looking forward to be able to spoiler discuss soon. The leaks-topic is already complete shitshow of people dunking on some random cammed clips.

fwiw: I realy liked the film, though I have issues (there are always issues). Unlike the issues I first had with TLJ, which mostly disappeared on repeated viewings, I think these issues will stick though. But they are not big enough to not be happy with how it all turned out.

For now, my ranking of this trilogy would be TLJ > TFA > or = TROS. In the overall ranking of the Saga I think TROS might be very close to ROTJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.