• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker reveals how exactly Rey (Daisy Ridley) was able to pass Ben Solo (Adam Driver) Luke's (Mark Hamill) blue lightsaber in the climactic battle. It's been a couple of months since the J.J. Abrams' film came out, but it's once again at the center of pop culture conversation thanks to the release of the movie's novelization. This gives fans additional details and context for some of the movie's most mysterious scenes.

Some liked The Rise of Skywalker for what it was, but others argued that there's just too many narrative inconsistencies and conveniences in it, all in the service of spectacle. There's still a string of unresolved mysteries from its story, but one of them has finally gotten some clarification thanks to the film's novelization.

A specific part of the novel (via Twitter user @shelbylynnmarie) reveals how Rey was able to pass Kylo Ren Luke's lightsaber during her battle with Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid), considering they're not that close in proximity with each other.

More at: https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rise-skywalker-rey-kylo-lightsaber-explained/

Shrug if old

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There were people that didn't understand that? It was the single most used and established new force power in the trilogy, and regardless of the quality of TRoS, it was one of its best parts.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
There's absolutely nothing about a connection Luke and Leia in there, and the excerpt is pretty much describing what you can actually see in the movie. Clickbait.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
What's new about this, exactly? The lightsaber passing was built up during the last two films and it felt earned to me. The film had a shit ton of problems, but I actually liked that part.

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao I'm blocked by that account for some reason. How tf I never reply to anything on twitter like there is zero way I could have been on that person's radar

Oct 26, 2017
If you need a book to explain the stuff you showed in a 2 hour movie, you've kind of failed both at making movies and books.

Also, that was just about the only obvious, well thought out part of the movie but I guess we can't have anyone not getting it.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So is there going to be a Rise of Skywalker novel that goes into how Ben feels about his family? How Leia feels about her son? How Rey feels about Finn liking her but (apparently) not reciprocating.

Every time there is more information is about stupid shit like Sheev's reproduction process or some technicality about how force powers work or how fucking bad the other knights of ren were.

Nothing about the emotional states of it's characters and their relationships to each other.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
People forget that the idea was introduced in TLJ. Even there, it was obviously way more than just a remote mind meld.

Of all the things to complain about, this is one of the least ones. The film had way worse narrative problems than this.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is J.K Rowling the new brand manager of Star Wars?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was already explained entirely in the movies. Seemed like a naturally extension of their force bond becoming stronger from TLJ

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So is there going to be a Rise of Skywalker novel that goes into how Ben feels about his family? How Leia feels about her son? How Rey feels about Finn liking her but (apparently) not reciprocating.

Every time there is more information is about stupid shit like Sheev's reproduction process or some technicality about how force powers work or how fucking bad the other knights of ren were.

Nothing about the emotional states of it's characters and their relationships to each other.
For some reason people don't want to write articles about a book being a book. Like, even on the second page it's exactly as you're describing and then people take it and make a clickbait headline out of what is pretty much a book description of what's shown on screen spelled out in text form.
ER8agA4WsAA9yDP

Screenrant in general is hella clickbait when it comes to SW

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop making threads for every excerpt of the book?

If you need a book to explain the stuff you showed in a 2 hour movie, you've kind of failed both at making movies and books.

Also, that was just about the only obvious, well thought out part of the movie but I guess we can't have anyone not getting it.

Is it really a "need?" Books are always going to have extra material to give the reader a better idea on what's going on

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD

You really want more clumsy text just straight up saying how everyone feels? God the writing in those two pages is atrocious.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is we don't need a book to explain what was a really simple scene conceptually. Everything in that page is shown onscreen. This person just uploaded an excerpt and the writer made a clickbait article.
You really want more clumsy text just straight up saying how everyone feels? God the writing in those two pages is atrocious.
Books absolutely tend to describe how characters feel, it's all text, it quite literally has to be spelled out most of the time for the viewer to get a proper view of the scene compared to a film where it can be shown purely through visuals and why less exposition overall.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is basically the one thing that was actually consistently developed on and clearly established in the movies.

If you didn't know how they passed the saber, you need to go back to movie-watching class.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Well, no, I want it to actually be well written, obviously. But do I want it to be about the characters instead of this utter inanity about how force powers work or how Sheev clones himself? Yeah.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Well, no, I want it to actually be well written, obviously. But do I want it to be about the characters instead of this utter inanity about how force powers work or how Sheev clones himself? Yeah.
You're literally just saying that you want article writers and thread creators to actually talk about the content of the book instead of creating threads and articles about the excerpts that expand lore.... which is basically a complaint about the "x explained" culture we live unfortunately live in.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo that this didn't need to be elaborated or clivcbaited it's just describing what's on screen

That's one of the few universal loved element and one that needed the least explanation

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The lightsaber passing is like the one new thing in the whole film that worked, felt earned, and was actually pretty cool.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
You're literally just saying that you want article writers and thread creators to actually talk about the content of the book instead of creating threads and articles about the excerpts that expand lore.... which is basically a complaint about the "x explained" culture we live unfortunately live in.
You know, the thing is, I'd be willing to give lots of leeway on this whole thing if the lore was actually any good.

Like, if you read the Stormlight Archives at all, the lore for that is really fascinating. The magic system is connected to people's emotional states and depending on what kind of broken person you are, you will get different kinds of bonds with different spirits, which give you different powers. And the time that the story takes place in, the magic had faded for a long time and is now coming back. And there is so much history and mysteriousness and intrigue with regards to the magic that is left to discover and figure out how different, disparate parts fit together. It's not like it's some cardinal sin for a story to have a complex, hard magic system where explication is not just desired, but interesting. The Stormlight magic system with it's magic swords and bonded spirits and physics bending powers is awesome to learn about.

But, like....Star Wars magic not only doesn't have many hard magic aspects to them, the stuff they are explaining isn't even complicated or interesting. Being a force dyad means they have a strong bond, which means they can transcend time and space and interact in ways that would otherwise be impossible, like handing things off to each other when they aren't next to each other. What do you need explained about that?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You know, the thing is, I'd be willing to give lots of leeway on this whole thing if the lore was actually any good.

Like, if you read the Stormlight Archives at all, the lore for that is really fascinating. The magic system is connected to people's emotional states and depending on what kind of broken person you are, you will get different kinds of bonds with different spirits, which give you different powers. And the time that the story takes place in, the magic had faded for a long time and is now coming back. And there is so much history and mysteriousness and intrigue with regards to the magic that is left to discover and figure out how different, disparate parts fit together. It's not like it's some cardinal sin for a story to have a complex, hard magic system where explication is not just desired, but interesting. The Stormlight magic system with it's magic swords and bonded spirits and physics bending powers is awesome to learn about.

But, like....Star Wars magic not only doesn't have many hard magic aspects to them, the stuff they are explaining isn't even complicated or interesting. Being a force dyad means they have a strong bond, which means they can transcend time and space and interact in ways that would otherwise be impossible, like handing things off to each other when they aren't next to each other. What do you need explained about that?
Exactly, SW is about the characters first and foremost, the force itself is at it's best when it's used a narrative device for their character development. And honestly I don't think this page is even attempting to explain how it works, it's explicitly an example of the force being used for characters first and foremost, lore second save for an offhand comment about Luke and Leia.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I don't really see the issue with it. It's probably hard to get the concept of what happened onscreen across in a book. I thought the author did a good job in translating the scene.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many missed opportunities for Kylo to interact with Chewie, Lando, R2, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
This didn't need explanation, he literally ripped her necklace off in the beginning of the film through the force connection, using to find out she was on Passana. Already showing the viewer they can physically hand objects to each other through the dyad.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it everything needs to be explicitly explained these days? It feels like if Star Wars and Empire were released today, people would be demanding to know how Obi-Wan could communicate with Luke during the trench run, or how could he appear as a force ghost on Hoth...

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I don't really see how Luke's force projection and Rey and Kylo Ren's force bond are similar at all.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"had to"
"should have"

okayjan.gif

Hey, Abrams had a plan for the trilogy. The only movie in that trilogy that doesn't follow it is the second one.

It's not something I hold against Johnson but, yes, Abrams making the first and third movies of a trilogy with no control or input on the second one is absolutely something that meant he had to do things in a certain way and I'm sure Rise of Skywalker would have been better with a preceding movie that actually built up to it.

You can't praise Johnson for refusing to compromise his vision, then hate on Abrams for refusing to either.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Abrams had a plan for the trilogy. The only movie in that trilogy that doesn't follow it is the second one.

It's not something I hold against Johnson but, yes, Abrams making the first and third movies of a trilogy with no control or input on the second one is absolutely something that meant he had to do things in a certain way and I'm sure Rise of Skywalker would have been better with a preceding movie that actually built up to it.

You can't praise Johnson for refusing to compromise his vision, then hate on Abrams for refusing to either.
Abrams didn't have a plan though

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
This movie is worse than Attack of the Clones. That was dumb but it had a coherent story and lots of cool ship designs and music. George at least cared. Disney just don't give a fuck.

Also, the blue lightsaber was Anakin's. Luke built his own green saber. Why did they just ignore this and just always call it Luke's? Did Disney forget about Episode 6?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Abrams didn't have a plan though

Of course he did. He just wasn't going to direct the next two movies so the most anyone would've gotten is some suggestions. He wasn't under any obligation to develop them further. Except, obviously, he ended getting called back to do the third one and went back to the ideas he had when he was writing The Force Awakens. The only downside of which, as we know, is that Johnson did some things Abrams wouldn't have done or at least would have done differently, so he spends the first hour of Rise of Skywalker setting up plot lines for the rest of the movie.

Which he wouldn't have needed to do if Disney hadn't fucked up the production schedule of the trilogy and just let Abrams handle the trilogy himself.