• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rian really wanted to bring The Force to the people. Not only were Rey's parents nobodies, but we saw kids out there with growing force powers and no Jedi to train them. Some are going to use those powers for good and some aren't. I understand the need to finish the mainline films off with a full circle bang (I didn't hate ROS) but I sure hope some fiction explores a Rian defined post Jedi/Sith Star Wars universe.

I think that was always the case in Star Wars, some people were born with a gift. For all we know Mace Windu's parents might have been nobodies and therefore he started out as a nobody.

The Last Jedi force kid isn't anything new, you don't have to have force powerful parents to be good. Look at Anakin and no I don't buy into him being created by Palpatine.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Hollywood run by hacks.

All things said he's completely right about Rian closing all the threads. That's what TLJ was. Close this, close that, abandon this, don't go that way, and with too few alternatives brought up. TLJ made itself a self-contained story, and that was a mistake no matter how sucky the generic premise of TFA was.

Do you understand how a trilogy works?
There are infinite possible ways they could have proceeded.

That was the point.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They honestly should have called TLJ a mistake and then finished making their trilogy properly. Even that would be better than these snide "wow TLJ sure didn't leave us much to work with hahaha!" comments.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like iamgine literally having Adam Driver set up as the main villain and not thinking that he could carry that entire goddamn film. This dude didn't even have a single line outside of "ow" during the climax, and he STILL carried that shit through body language and expressions alone.

This really bothers me when it comes to the new characters. In TFA he is an apprentice and in TLJ he becomes Supreme Leader. I would have liked it if in TROS he grows comfortable in that role but instead he regressed back into being an apprentice.

It feels so forced, like someone clearly wanted to recreate the final moments of TROJ and have him be redeemed.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
Well, we weren't convinced that it had been cleared up, because there's still this highly troubling vision that Rey had in Episode VII, which is the shop with her parents leaving the planet. Also, the events of The Last Jedi are literally just after the events of Episode VII—within 48 hours, Ray has had a force-back to her parents and then the very next day is told "your parents were no one and they were junk traders. None of that matters." And we thought in a way that would be too easy because of the idea that Rey had been longing for her parents for so many years. We just felt like there was something more going on.

Oh my godddd.

TFA sets up the mystery: Who are Rey's parents? And why did they leave her on Jakku, where she had to fend for herself since she was a child and was at constant risk of murder and starvation?

Rey is convinced that there MUST be a good reason her parents left, and that they will surely return for her, even though it's been years. Maz tells her that no, her family isn't coming back; Rey's tearful reaction tells us that deep down, she knows that this is probably true, but she still doesn't fully acknowledge it, and we still don't know why they left.

TLJ answers the mystery with the most PAINFUL truth possible: there is no good reason that her parents left. They weren't heroes on a mission, with some grand purpose for leaving her behind. They were just assholes. The two people who are meant to love her unconditionally just left her to die there because they didn't want her, and as the dark mirror on Ahch-To tells her, Rey's on her own. It's devastating for her. Then, despite how that must impact her feelings of self-worth, Rey has to move forward as the Jedi hero for the Resistance, with all the pressure that that brings.

How is that easy?!

God, then TROS fucks this all up -- her parents, in fact, DID love her! She got the answer she wanted! They left her in the worst situation "for her protection" (which is complete bullshit -- Jakku and Unkar Plutt were their only options?). But they DID want her; there WAS a grand reason for her being left there, and that actually makes it EASIER for her because it's the answer that she was looking for!

Forget all the potential character stuff about finding self-worth and belonging and overcoming feelings of abandonment (a big aspect in her and Kylo's dynamic, because they both had big parental issues). Nah, let's just give Rey a rushed, recycled "you're related to a bad guy" plot that we've already seen with Luke, and we were already seeing in this trilogy with Kylo.

And it's fucking Palpatine of all people. Like, has the "You're a Palpatine" landed well AT ALL with ANY audience? The hyped crowd I saw it with on opening night had zero reaction to it outside of a disbelieving "What the fuck?" from someone sitting near me. And even now, all I see from it are memes about Palps fucking and Rey taking on all kinds of silly last names.

But, I guess it's handy because now they get to explain where Rey's power comes from, since there's no plausible way she could've just been powerful on her own. And even at the end, she's gotta be Rey Skywalker because being JUST REY isn't enough I suppose.

JJ and Chris's takeaway from TLJ seemed to be that the big tragedy for Rey was that her parents were "nobodies". With that kind of mindset, yeah, being related to someone evil would be harder to deal with than being related to two randoms. But that's not the most tragic part; what's tragic is that her parents didn't fucking want her, and she has move forward on her own. THAT is what they should have focused on.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
"We think of Star Wars as a fairytale." That's the problem with TROS. We had the fairy tale already. Clone Wars and Rebels and TLJ at least break that mold and take us somewhere. The fairy tale isn't a wrong answer. They just executed on that idea poorly while back peddling from the more interesting places that TLJ was ready to go.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017

All things said he's completely right about Rian closing all the threads. That's what TLJ was. Close this, close that, abandon this, don't go that way, and with too few alternatives brought up. TLJ made itself a self-contained story, and that was a mistake no matter how sucky the generic premise of TFA was.

So the way to solve not liking something the last movie did is just completely ignore the last movie? There are so so so many things JJ and Terrio could have done and instead they chose to do TROS.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
"We think of Star Wars as a fairytale." That's the problem with TROS. We had the fairy tale already. Clone Wars and Rebels and TLJ at least break that mold and take us somewhere. The fairy tale isn't a wrong answer. They just executed on that idea poorly while back peddling from the more interesting places that TLJ was ready to go.

Imagine Terrio's Clone Wars lol

Terrio: "Ahsoka got it easy, she just stops being a Jedi and that's that. We think there's more story to tell here, so we obviously made her the long lost daughter of Mother Talzin"

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine Terrio's Clone Wars lol

Terrio: "Ahsoka got it easy, she just stops being a Jedi and that's that. We think there's more story to tell here, so we obviously made her the long lost daughter of Mother Talzin"

Oh sweet mother of god. You're right. Oh lord no. That thought makes me ill.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh my godddd.

TFA sets up the mystery: Who are Rey's parents? And why did they leave her on Jakku, where she had to fend for herself since she was a child and was at constant risk of murder and starvation?

Rey is convinced that there MUST be a good reason her parents left, and that they will surely return for her, even though it's been years. Maz tells her that no, her family isn't coming back; Rey's tearful reaction tells us that deep down, she knows that this is probably true, but she still doesn't fully acknowledge it, and we still don't know why they left.

TLJ answers the mystery with the most PAINFUL truth possible: there is no good reason that her parents left. They weren't heroes on a mission, with some grand purpose for leaving her behind. They were just assholes. The two people who are meant to love her unconditionally just left her to die there because they didn't want her, and as the dark mirror on Ahch-To tells her, Rey's on her own. It's devastating for her. Then, despite how that must impact her feelings of self-worth, Rey has to move forward as the Jedi hero for the Resistance, with all the pressure that that brings.

How is that easy?!

God, then TROS fucks this all up -- her parents, in fact, DID love her! She got the answer she wanted! They left her in the worst situation "for her protection" (which is complete bullshit -- Jakku and Unkar Plutt were their only options?). But they DID want her; there WAS a grand reason for her being left there, and that actually makes it EASIER for her because it's the answer that she was looking for!

Forget all the potential character stuff about finding self-worth and belonging and overcoming feelings of abandonment (a big aspect in her and Kylo's dynamic, because they both had big parental issues). Nah, let's just give Rey a rushed, recycled "you're related to a bad guy" plot that we've already seen with Luke, and we were already seeing in this trilogy with Kylo.

And it's fucking Palpatine of all people. Like, has the "You're a Palpatine" landed well AT ALL with ANY audience? The hyped crowd I saw it with on opening night had zero reaction to it outside of a disbelieving "What the fuck?" from someone sitting near me. And even now, all I see from it are memes about Palps fucking and Rey taking on all kinds of silly last names.

But, I guess it's handy because now they get to explain where Rey's power comes from, since there's no plausible way she could've just been powerful on her own. And even at the end, she's gotta be Rey Skywalker because being JUST REY isn't enough I suppose.

JJ and Chris's takeaway from TLJ seemed to be that the big tragedy for Rey was that her parents were "nobodies". With that kind of mindset, yeah, being related to someone evil would be harder to deal with than being related to two randoms. But that's not the most tragic part; what's tragic is that her parents didn't fucking want her, and she has move forward on her own. THAT is what they should have focused on.
Fucking thank you. For real

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my godddd.

How is that easy?!

What if Rey was still Plapy's grandaughter, but her parents never cared for her and did indeed sell her for drinking money?

That could have been interesting, without disregarding the scene in TLJ.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
"I am your father"
into
"You're a nobody"

Just fucking works. Rey just being a no one makes so much sense on so many different levels AND it's done right at the beat of the Vader reveal in the OT. How in the fuck is that not a good place to leave off? A good writer could easily do so much with that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What if Rey was still Plapy's grandaughter, but her parents never cared for her and did indeed sell her for drinking money?

What good does having her be Palpatine's granddaughter do? What's the fucking point? She doesn't know him. He was dead until she ran into him and she killed him five minutes later. There was never a chance of her turning to the dark. Ever.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What good does having her be Palpatine's granddaughter do? What's the fucking point? She doesn't know him. He was dead until she ran into him and she killed him five minutes later. There was never a chance of her turning to the dark. Ever.

Yeah, I know.

I just find it hilarious that Palps's bloodline lives on.

My man won.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, as a creator you have to assume that some or most people wont like what you make no matter how good it actually is. I definitely sympathize with that argument, its something you have to acknowledge when you take on jobs like these And its a little shitty if people are taking that statement and using it for confirmation bias

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Kylo was also going to get a redemption arc.

Unless you think the character shouldn't be redeemed, which I completely disagree with. But I've already had this discussion so many times I'm kind of tired of it.

Redeemed? Not by the end of the film no. Forgiven, maybe on a personal level, but I'm sick of movies, shows, books, etc sticking hard to the idea that redemption is easy. Redemption is incredibly hard and the worse the crime is the harder it is to redeem oneself on a personal, interpersonal, and societal level. Does Kylo Ren need to die at the end of the film? No of course not but his redemption needs to start at the end, not have his crimes waived away because his mommy finally got to the grown ass man.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This the man LFL chose for the job...I can't

Also, now he's officially blaming Rian...

He blamed :

Carrie Fisher

The fans

George Lucas

Rian Jonhson

Wonderful. Almost as if he hadn't tanked 2 movies by himself already and now a third.

BvS and Justice League being two of the most anticipated movies ever and IX being the conclusion of cinema's biggest franchise until they ran it to the ground.

Redeemed? Not by the end of the film no. Forgiven, maybe on a personal level, but I'm sick of movies, shows, books, etc sticking hard to the idea that redemption is easy. Redemption is incredibly hard and the worse the crime is the harder it is to redeem oneself on a personal, interpersonal, and societal level. Does Kylo Ren need to die at the end of the film? No of course not but his redemption needs to start at the end, not have his crimes waived away because his mommy finally got to the grown ass man.

That's exactly why he should have lived.

- Explore his actual redemption, handled by talented writers in books / comics / filoni show

- Don't murder every Skywalker and Solo

Win win.

What they have done is the fucking worst.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

TLJ left the universe in a pretty clear spot:

- The Resistance had survived Crair, and inspired people across the galaxy
- Rey had accepted her past and was the last Jedi
- Kylo Ren had fully sworn off the light and become the leader of the FO

It perfectly set up an endgame. TROS shitty story was not that endgame.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rian sort of set up a challenge not only for the filmmakers, but for the characters. At the end, everyone is left with almost nothing. So as a storyteller, you have to start using all your tools because you're left with a lot of questions and not a whole of answers. So we had to recommit to a few aspects of the story and perhaps be a bit more inventive about what was going on in the galaxy.

I think it says a lot about Terrio's (and JJ's) approach to storytelling that the end of TLJ left them with a "challenge" because it said bye-bye to characters, ideas and tropes so they had to dig even deeper and go into literal fanfic territory. Fuck making anything original, I guess.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
He blamed :

Carrie Fisher

The fans

George Lucas

Rian Jonhson

Wonderful. Almost as if he hadn't tanked 2 movies by himself already and now a third.

BvS and Justice League being two of the most anticipated movies ever and IX being the conclusion of cinema's biggest franchise until they ran it to the ground.

That's exactly why he should have lived.

- Explore his actual redemption, handled by talented writers in books / comics / filoni show

- Don't murder every Skywalker and Solo

Win win.

What they have done is the fucking worst.
Who else will be thrown under the bus? Tune in next week to find out

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ left the universe in a pretty clear spot:

- The Resistance had survived Crair, and inspired people across the galaxy
- Rey had accepted her past and was the last Jedi
- Kylo Ren had fully sworn off the light and become the leader of the FO

It perfectly set up an endgame. TROS shitty story was not that endgame.
I'll do you two more:

- Hux has nothing but hatred for Kylo Ren and the rest of the first order also view him as a crazy maniac. Sounds like a recipe for some internal political tension, eh? Maybe some plot to overthrow Kylo from within? Maybe a little civil war within the FO?

- Finn has seen at Canto Bight that the war is bigger than just the FO vs the Resistance - this war will perpetuated or another will be started because there is a profit to be made off of it. Maybe have Finn introduce some grander strategies for fighting that dismantle the systems that keep the galaxy in conflict?

Plus stuff introduced in TFA that TLJ left alone. Knights of Ren but actually give them personalities beyond various flavors of edgelord. Finn's force sensitive abilities but give it more purpose than being a glorified GPS or his stormtrooper background. Have that Poe romance Oscar Isaac keeps nagging Disney execs over.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm surprised there are people who actually believe TLJ doesn't happen almost entirely within a few days at most.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A lot of the choices setting up TROS are bad.

okay, let's cut them some slack, maybe they really didn't know how else to set up the story after TLJ's ending.

That still doesn't excuse them from making all the terrible story choices they made within the frame work of their own plot.

it doesn't excuse the film's absolute refusal to commit to any stakes, or the introducing of new characters we don't have time to develop rather than further-developing supporting characters like Rose or The Knights of Ren, it doesn't explain the need for a magic-treasure-knife plot taking up half the film.

i could go on

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This might end up Being in my bottom three least favorite Star Wars films (behind ROTS) as the more time passes the more I absolutely hate almost everything about it. I can't even watch it for dumb fun because I'm just so constantly bewildered at what's going on, way too much talent involved to get the mess we got. To think this actually worked on people too, just throwing things at the screen 100 mph so they don't have time to process and realize how dumb it all is (Fun!)

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018

That would've been better because it at least would've preserved some of the theme from TLJ, and it would've been a darker (and more interesting) struggle for Rey to deal with if the only family that wanted her (even if it's for his own gain) was the fucking Emperor.

And it would've been better than retconning Rey's parents into being apparently good people who loved their daughter, but for some reason thought selling her to a monster on a desert junkyard planet was the only option they had to protect her. Rey's situation and life on Jakku seemed so crappy, and it bothers me how they changed everything so she should be grateful (at least on some level) for being left there.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
That would've been better because it at least would've preserved some of the theme from TLJ, and it would've been a darker (and more interesting) struggle for Rey to deal with if the only family that wanted her (even if it's for his own gain) was the fucking Emperor.

And it would've been better than retconning Rey's parents into being apparently good people who loved their daughter, but for some reason thought selling her to a monster on a desert junkyard planet was the only option they had to protect her. Rey's situation and life on Jakku seemed so crappy, and it bothers me how they changed everything so she should be grateful (at least on some level) for being left there.
You forget that they also conducted top top class covert operations by saying " she's not on Jakku". That top-tier espionage can surely not be undersold

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine about reys parentage - if that's an idea they had going in to ep7. You can take Kylo's comments in TLJ as trying to weaken her and get her to turn, and not the truth.

it's how they did it that's so messed up. No teasing of palpatine during either 7 or 8, and a cold open in the crawl? I even liked the opening with her being conflicted and doing dark side stuff - but without any lead up or hints about palpatine it just felt so rushed

Rey's plot is generally ok - it's the execution of that and Kylo's turn which felt rushed and made up in the editing room.
I had more issues with 'starkiller base v2' with 1000 planet killer ships simply having no real sense of threat because it's so big you have to then invent a loophole making them all vulnerable;

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
TLJ's only crime was shitting on TFA

TRoS's crime however shits on all 8 previous movies.

I rated TLJ before as the 2nd worst SW movie, but now bumped it to 3rd worst.

TRoS is officially the absolute WORST SW movies because it wrecks everything, especially RotJ.

What was the point of Luke and Vader's arc? they just fucked it all in TRoS

the Disney trilogy can go to hell

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

my guess is it helps explain the power of her force abilities. Yes others can be force users but she clearly had more than normal - more like like/anakin/yoda/palpatine.

I actually dint mind the explanation, just huge issues with the executive

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ's only crime was shitting on TFA

TRoS's crime however shits on all 8 previous movies.

I rated TLJ before as the 2nd worst SW movie, but now bumped it to 3rd worst.

TRoS is officially the absolute WORST SW movies because it wrecks everything, especially RotJ.

What was the point of Luke and Vader's arc? they just fucked it all in TRoS

the Disney trilogy can go to hell

i do agree with this though. IMO TLJ should have been a spin off or completely separate movie trilogy. 7-9 should have been relatively safer to properly close out the saga- and FFS have some kind of Feige-like arc before starting!

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
My fanfic ending for Kylo would've been for him to end up on Ahch-To like Luke. Whether through self-exile or stranded there by the resistance. A prison of sorts where he'd have to reckon with what he's done but still having the opportunity to rebuild himself in the birthplace of the Jedi. With Luke et al there in spirit to guide him should he be open to it. Maybe with a hint of Rey returning there as well at some point. But this was also with the idea that IX wouldn't be the end and he could potential return one day redeemed.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
"hey! lets fuck with the ending of Return of The Jedi and shit on Vader and Luke's arc!:

fuck all these guys responsible for TroS

A father saves his son and evil defeated. Yuh nubbb.Just kidding ha ha ha ha you thought we vaporized him twice but he's back ha ha ha ha how? It doesn't matter stop asking questions look it's Lando!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
"hey! lets fuck with the ending of Return of The Jedi and shit on Vader and Luke's arc!:

fuck all these guys responsible for TroS

im not surea sequel trilogy was ever going to really work. As much as we want to see familiar faces, any setup of a big bad downplays the end of RotJ.

we defeated the empire - no it's still there even worse than before

we killed the emperor - peekaboo!

have a smaller threat that doesn't undermine the fall of the empire - post empire fallout like Mandalorian, or do a trilogy far enough separated from skywalker to not impact it

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
i do agree with this though. IMO TLJ should have been a spin off or completely separate movie trilogy. 7-9 should have been relatively safer to properly close out the saga- and FFS have some kind of Feige-like arc before starting!

Feige had no arc at first in the MCU. The Infinity Stones/Thanos were all retroactive. He was building to The Avengers, but the early films aren't really connected at all.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
im not surea sequel trilogy was ever going to really work. As much as we want to see familiar faces, any setup of a big bad downplays the end of RotJ.

we defeated the empire - no it's still there even worse than before

we killed the emperor - peekaboo!

have a smaller threat that doesn't undermine the fall of the empire - post empire fallout like Mandalorian, or do a trilogy far enough separated from skywalker to not impact it
They could've setup any number of other big bads, but decided to bring back Palpatine without any foreshadowing whatsoever. They had two (even four) movies to set it up. It's like if Infinity War brought back Iron Monger as the Ultimate Evil instead of Thanos, without any buildup whatsoever.

Deleted member 10193

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might end up Being in my bottom three least favorite Star Wars films (behind ROTS) as the more time passes the more I absolutely hate almost everything about it. I can't even watch it for dumb fun because I'm just so constantly bewildered at what's going on, way too much talent involved to get the mess we got. To think this actually worked on people too, just throwing things at the screen 100 mph so they don't have time to process and realize how dumb it all is (Fun!)
TLJ is the ending in my headcanon.

Rey is a nobody. Anyone can be the hero... or villain. Being force sensitive isn't something that only space royalty bloodlines have. Luke made the ultimate sacrifice to light the flame of rebellion.

I don't need to see them kill Kylo or dismantle the First Order. I know the battle continues.