• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
For those that thought this game was long gone and shut down a while back, it's still doing okay. Clearly the game has made them good money over the years and while there aren't many servers left, there is still a solid player-base for those that are left. Sure WoW was making this on a yearly basis back in the day and it took like $200M to make the game, but I think it's sustained itself okay for the past 8 years.

Publisher Elctronic Arts announced on an earnings call that The Old Republic is now closing in on $1 billion in lifetime revenue. "Believe it or not, we are close to $1 billion on Star Wars: The Old Republic revenue from the start of its history," EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said. "So it's a business that just keeps on going. We like those types of businesses."

More at Gamespot.

Cyryus

Nov 21, 2017
I've always enjoyed playing this on and off over the years. My MMO days are pretty much over but since a lot of EA games are coming to Steam soon, I feel like this would be very successfully over there. F2P have always done great on Steam.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit. Well, it's sadly the most Star Wars has felt like Star Wars since Empire. Good, but frustrating, game.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The game has one of the most fun leveling experiences i had. It has a bit of that vintage bioware magic.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I can't play it anymore without calling them because of some junk with a authenticator. I really liked it too.

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly does monetization look like in this game? I recall it's gone free to play a long while back (correct me if that's wrong, it'd explain quite a bit), then the expansions are paid too I believe, but that kind of revenue implies more to me.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
They did but they don't have nearly the same amount of development support as they did years ago, and it shows. It's sad to see.
Yeah tbh I was pretty disappointed with this latest expansion overall. It was over way too fast and it just lacked anything really interesting in the story. The areas looked great and very detailed, but it was pretty boring from start to finish.

Oct 26, 2017
People can shit all they want on EA but we can't deny that they are able to make and mantain multi-billion series.

Need For Speed grossed over 4 billion
The Sims did over 5 billion
Insert several billions for FIFA and Madden
Maybe Battlefield as well
and now SW is close to 1 billion

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
What exactly does monetization look like in this game? I recall it's gone free to play a long while back (correct me if that's wrong, it'd explain quite a bit), then the expansions are paid too I believe, but that kind of revenue implies more to me.
Well they sell a LOT of vanity type stuff from armor to mounts and have had a pretty strict F2P model until just recently. So people really needed to spend a little money here and there to open up some of the restrictions. Things like weekly caps on Operations and PVP being the biggest.

And let's be honest, a lot of people love to gamble with the loot crates or cartel packs as they're called.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I still want to go back and do some of the newer story content. The imperial agent storyline was very good.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
How much of that billion was made in the first couple years and much of it was made in the last 5 years?

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I loved this game so much for the first year or two, despite the problems. I think part of it was because my first kid was born close to launch, so I could never play the game for long periods of time, so I never ran out of things to do. FFXIV 2.0 completely took over my MMO interest, though, and I've never been able to go back to SWTOR.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
It was a great experience at launch. Left when they ditched the talent tree system. I just cant stand dumbing down of RPG and character progression elements in MMORPGs.

obeast

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect that a large portion of that money is essentially predatory revenue from their "cartel store."

Still, SWTOR -- at least the class stories -- really is a pretty excellent single-player story experience in the old Bioware vein, with MMO-sized maps giving a sense of scale. I subscribed a while back and played through all the class stories over a pretty long period of time, and I did not regret the experience. The imperial agent storyline is legitimately good enough to be a single-player game, and most of the others are solid-to-good. The combat is pretty blah, though. When I played it was so easy that there way essentially no way to die except falling off the map.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It was a great experience at launch. Left when they ditched the talent tree system. I just cant stand dumbing down of RPG and character progression elements in MMORPGs.
Yeah I had a hard time with this as well. I can understand their desire to do it so balancing classes didn't continue to be difficult with each new level cap increase but it's a thing I've hated with this and even WoW. I will always prefer the ability to completely dictate where to put my points and create a unique character. There's still a tiny bit of it here with the 7 or 8 points in the skills section but it's nothing like a nice tree to work with.

Oct 27, 2017
Well they sell a LOT of vanity type stuff from armor to mounts and have had a pretty strict F2P model until just recently. So people really needed to spend a little money here and there to open up some of the restrictions. Things like weekly caps on Operations and PVP being the biggest.

And let's be honest, a lot of people love to gamble with the loot crates or cartel packs as they're called.
I see. Should've guessed the loot boxes, but sounds like their microtransactions as a whole are rather extensive... Certainly makes sense now.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
Was a great game - the story was stellar and I really loved the companion system.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best single player Star Wars game I ever played.

Did a little bit of the MMO part of it, but just leveling up a character was a great time with lots of worlds to visit and a pretty decent story depending on the class you made.

Over all I'd recommend it to anyone looking for Star Wars.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I just installed it again yesterday because I'm the yearly star wars mood leading up to the movie.

I played operator and loved that story a lot back in the day.

I'm still hoping they give the game a visual overhaul someday because the textures are getting a bit out dates.

But the game oozes style and personality and the art style is great too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a news piece on Anthem saying that Bioware Austin warned Edmonton of Anthem's service practices long before release. obviously, we see who was more right

How much of that billion was made in the first couple years and much of it was made in the last 5 years?
they would have mentioned it if it was more frontloaded

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I love Star Wars and I tried really hars to enjoy this game, but I thini MMOs just aren't for me.

Areas and cities are so needlessly and unrealistically massive that at times I feel like I'm playing a character from Toy Story.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that is pretty much a skeleton crew, the profit margin has to be huge

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Played for 2 months earlier this year and did the xpacs for the first time during the double xp period they had. Probably the most fun i've had playing an MMO since WoW first came out.

Very glad its making money and will continue to function. I"ll need to start playing Republic side and play through all those story lines to eventually.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I would like for a pure CGI film based off of the character's in this.

I only played when it originally came out and those CGI cutscenes were fantastic, I assume their quality was reduced once the subscriber base dropped

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I just play it as a single player game and quite enjoy it. The story content is really good. Use a play order guide and pick a class fantasy to your liking and enjoy the ride.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
And yet it has almost skeleton crew support. Put some meat on this bone EA.

The credits for the new expansion lists over 100 main devs before you count all the testers and voice actors. That's comparable to the team size of something like The Outer Worlds. It's not like it's in maintenance mode or anything.

Well it is littered with microtransactions.

It really isn't unless you're free to play. If you sub the only microtransactions are completely cosmetic.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
how is the gameplay?
Standard MMO gameplay with hotkeys for abilities. Very solo friendly with some group based combat. A decent enough rail shooter ship missions and some arena style flight combat from what I remember.

As a game The Old Republic has always been pretty good. If one was looking for older Bioware it's in this game. I'm not sure of the some f the latest expansions but the core based game was very solid story wise. Especially if you enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic 1 an 2.

The problem is it has one of the most offensively designed Free 2 Play setups out there. The system is designed to nickel and dime you right down to basic user interface features! If you're subscribing you might be better off but what they did for the Free 2 Play model is took the standard design elements that you got in the game and other games and just cut them up. Basic stuff like inventory which is reduced so much you're almost have to spend money if you're trying to the free to play route just to not be frustrated all the time.

Even when subscribed though I don't believe it's all cosmetic. Now it might have changed in the last few years but I started out before the game went Free 2 Play. When I came back I tried the F2P model. Resub and I remember I still had things I had from before missing.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Standard MMO gameplay with hotkeys for abilities. Very solo friendly with some group based combat. A decent enough rail shooter ship missions and some arena style flight combat from what I remember.

As a game The Old Republic has always been pretty good. If one was looking for older Bioware it's in this game. I'm not sure of the some f the latest expansions but the core based game was very solid story wise. Especially if you enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic 1 an 2.

The problem is it has one of the most offensively designed Free 2 Play setups out there. The system is designed to nickel and dime you right down to basic user interface features!
They adjusted the free to play options recently (upped the number of warzones and flashpoints you could do for free weekly, upped the hot bars you get, upped the credit limit) so it's not really that bad tbh.