• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Have you played Star Wars: The Old Republic?

• Yes

Votes: 449 57.7%
  • No

Votes: 180 23.1%
  • Planning to

Votes: 22 2.8%
  • Not planning to

Votes: 127 16.3%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I've still yet to play it, but given that huge production budget, I need to experience it before it gets "archived". Which I hope it doesn't. Or I hope Bioware makes some kind of single player version of it down the line, considering it has a heavy story.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I played it. It was, at best, mediocre for an MMO. They touted this whole 'solo play is possible because you get NPCs!' angle....but then made elite mobs almost impossible to beat with said NPCs.

I dropped it pretty quickly after that revalation, as there was nothing else in the game that set it apart from the million other WoW clones at the time.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Played it in 2011 when it came out. Finished the Imperial Agent story (which was fantastic) and stopped after I finished the first real raid. It's a pretty neat game, and some of the stories are great, but I imagine it could feel a little dated these days.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I played it, insanely mediocre and the game honestly would have lost nothing by making that main attack auto.............especially with how long the GCD was.

Had some fantastic writing though.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Tried it out years ago. Was a generic MMO with Bioware dialogue system. Combat and quest design was just so dull I couldn't commit.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It's the only other MMO I've played and enjoyed besides WoW. The story is worth anyone's time. Highly recommend a light side sith warrior.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
It's the only star wars game that lets you play as the coolest race, the Nautolan. Of course I've played it.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Bought into the hype and got the game and 1 month sub at launch. It felt OK, like comfort food that I can turn to once in a while. Problem was, I would never pay a subscription for it.

Haven't been back since it went F2P

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Played it quite alot around 2013-15. Did all the class stories and played till the first fallen empire(iirc) expac released. Its the only MMORPG i have played so can't really compare but i enjoyed it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The way party dialogue worked is unmatched in an mmo. The free version was limited in a very frustrating way.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was fun until they immediately abandoned what made it unique. Seems every Star Wars MMO will suffer the same fate. Too Ambitious, Galaxies required a near full team at all times just to keep it balanced etc not even going into expansion teams etc. TOR gave each class its own unique progression which again would require way too much development assets.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I still dip back in every once in awhile. Every line being voiced continues to be impressive, in a game of that scope.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a proper Knights of the Old Republic III and have less than zero interest in MMOs, so have not played it with prejudice.

Such a shame we never got a proper ending to that brilliant single-player duology, but I'm happy that some fans of MMOs enjoyed The Old Republic. Not the game for me by any measure, but maybe it was a fun game for them.

They could pay me to play it, and I still wouldn't play it.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I played the shit out of it from launch until GW2 was released. Huttball was the GOAT.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
I played the open beta and after 3 quest of getting 10 of these and 5 of these and 15 of those I uninstalled it.
I wanted a grant SW game but no way I was going to grind that kind of BS for it.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I played it when it first came out. They screwed up by launching with waaaaay too many servers and I didn't realize until I was pretty far in that I was on a dead server. I'm talking within a week or two of launch I was on a mid level planet that was entirely empty.

also, I eventually got to an absurdly long fetch quest and had to spend like 15-20 mins backtracking to turn it in. When I turned it in, the NPC didn't even have dialogue. It literally just marked the quest as complete. I was so pissed off at the empty worlds and bad quest design that I just quit right then.

I just completely NOPED out and never went back.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I played like 30 hrs of it. I actually dug the story stuff but goddamn was the gameplay mediocre as hell

Deleted member 77016

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 4, 2020
I tried the free trial and stopped playing after about an hour. It was such a terrible example of bog standard, boring MMO design.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I played the open beta in 2010-2011? or when ever it was..

I really liked the idea - open world star wars story? how is that not great.

And it wasnt.. I bet it's improved by now ofc but still, I was left with meh in my mouth hehe

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I kinda liked it, but since everyone dropped it I ended up quitting.

Agent and BH stories were the best, Smuggler also up there.

I think I only went back for the first Hut expansion and it was kinda bad if I remember correctly?
Tried logging in a year ago or so after some hype CGI trailer but the MTX store turned me off.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to get into it a few times, the cool aspects of the story are overshadowed by the comically oversized world (everyone's house has ginormous rooms), the microtransactions, the minor quest design, and the fact other players are running around with identical party members.

It'd be great if they could just take the story content and transplant it a single player RPG but that won't happen

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I played it last year after all the hype about the Imperial agent storyline

Unfortunately, the MMO gameplay that I had to go through in order to play this game was god awful and boring. It was really tough to get through, simply because the quests and combat were so mind-numbing.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I played the Smuggler storyline late last year and mostly enjoyed it. I want to play some of the other class stories along with the expansions but it's not so good that it's easy to justify setting aside that much time for it.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Yeah I played it for about 2 years (most of my gaming buddies left after about 3 months). I played SIth tank BTW.

I had fun... but not going back TBH. I feel like the game is "done" for me personally.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was great but flawed. I personally would have liked them to go in the SWTOR direction for endgame instead if chasing wow.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I played it until they capped stuff for F2P players, then dropped it. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't going to pay a subscription for it.

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020
Yeah really enjoyed it, super glad it became so successful, along with that, fallen order, clone wars and mando, its been some of the strongest star wars media in recent years

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Played it when it first released but dropped it pretty shortly after finishing the Jedi Knight story as there didn't seem to be much to do at endgame and I couldn't be bothered levelling another character.

Decided to give it another go when it was released on Steam a while back and have been surprised by how much I've been enjoying it, you can level characters by just doing the class stories for the most part now so you don't have to bother with the shitty MMO filler quests.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did play it, with my wife at launch. The storytelling structure was excellent and, with full support from Bioware/EA, could have been even better. What really fucked the game over was two things:

1. It was targeted at World of Warcraft Burning Crusade's feature set but launched against Cataclysm at its midway point. So the gameplay felt extremely dated.

2. The combat had very perceptible delays. One thing Blizzard nailed with WoW, and of course they've since ruined this in their incompetence by putting a bunch of CDs on the GCD, but it was the brisk and immediate impact of combat. SWTOR... had none of that. It was stodgy and slow.

Also, let's do this- when the game went F2P the restrictions were very, very dire.

This game captured the perfect storm of both Bioware's decline and EA's corporate culture. Just an absolute disaster but you could see where it had good ideas. Just never salvaged them.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see why they don't port this game to consoles, it would be a great success here I'm sure of that.

Got the PC version at launch played the Sith Inquisitor story which was very good but to me it's more a solo game (let's say with coop) than a "true" MMO specially for 2011

Today the "MMO" genera is a bit wider so I insist that it should have been ported on console. I would have love to play it on my Xbox with a controller (like a KOTOR game) common BioWare it's easy money and surely it can't be that hard to do that. We have a lot of MMOs on consoles today.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
If a game world could benefit with a GaaS model instead of a true Wow-like MMO structure, Star Wars is it. I had friends playing this but couldn't get into it at they dropped it pretty soon too. I just imagine something like Destiny in the Star Wars universe would have had a lot more success.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Played it with a group of friends and had a blast. Came back a couple of times but did not click anymore. Wish this would come to console.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Great stories and writing. Decent pvp. Mediocre everything else.
But man the stories where great! Also much more interesting vision for the Sith and dark side than what the movies could muster.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Played it and loved it! Went through pretty much all of the stories! My guild fell apart shortly before it went F2P though and I left it at that.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
lmafao what?

SWTOR was developed by BioWare Austin, a completely separate team from the Edmonton one.

I'm aware which team made it and Greg Zeschuk, one of the two main founders of Bioware was the GM of Bioware Austin btw. Bioware was sold to EA in order to fund SWTOR. Look at the price tag in the OP, it's not a coincidence. SWTOR was a failure in design in a number of ways but that's a bit off topic. It wasn't long after the initial release of SWTOR when it released with very disappointing subscription numbers, and eventually went free to play, that the two main founders of Bioware stepped down and again, Bioware was now tethered to Electronic Arts. It's very clear, SWTOR was the game that in many ways led to the decline of the company. Dragon Age had already been in developed for like 10 years or something and released in 2009 and Mass Effect 2 came out before SWTOR was released. It is pretty widely accepted around here that Bioware hasn't been the same since ME 2 even though I still like most of their output.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
And partly because of this, MMOs are a genre in decline. They are absurdly expensive. The risk they carry is not worth it considering that they are much less popular than at the peak of WoW.

Pelleas

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed straining to keep my character's level down, because BW fucked up mat spawn levels so the equipment I could craft weren't completely fucking useless for the level I was...

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I'm not into MMOs, but i'm a big SW fan, so i might play it one day, but i'm not sure. If it could be played solo i would dip right away on it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Played it because I love SW. It wasn't enough to get me past all the things I can't stand in MMO's : gameplay consisting entirely of waiting for a square to fill up and then click on it, while your character does basic attacks on its own with lame animations, corridors so ridiculously huge (yet deserted) that you feel like a character from Toy Story, level gating everywhere that puts you on a linear path... Nothing to see there.

Wasted 20h of my life on this and three times as many euros unfortunately.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
My most played MMO, though FFXIV is gaining on it. I've played the Imperial Agent storyline all the way through at least 4 times now