• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Oh goodness, how had we not noticed that. Actually that is quite frustrating. the guards left hand is unoccupied while the right hand dagger is locked with Rey's saber. The left hand dagger is perfectly positioned for a slash on Rey's stomach, or then an instant later for a backstab.... but it has just disappeared. it's not even knocked out of the guard's hand or dropped, it just disappears.

I mean, I love everything about the fight, the shots, the energy, but ayyyy I don't know if I'll ever be able to un-notice that.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The random dagger edit is pretty funny but obviously not a big deal considering literally nobody noticed it until now. Your eye is focused on other stuff.

No one would notice this if they weren't looking for it.

Oct 26, 2017
As discussed, TLJ's editing is all over the place. Here's a gif of what I believe is the worst cut in the film, there's just nothing connecting these two scenes (it's actually made worse with sound since the cut back to the island has no music while Canto Bight is coming down from this dramatic score):

QlNiT1C.gif
Yeah. Not a great cut. This movie's editing bothered me in a bunch of places, but the worst one is (I THINK) at the beginning of lesson 1 when Rey is standing in the archway of the cave. I wish I could make gifs to show it. Hrmm.

I wasn't a fan of the choreography. Felt very...well....choreographed. Another moment that isn't great is Kylo digging his saber into the ground to defend a swipe, but the guard swipes clearly at his saber instead of at Kylo. Also, not a fan of Rey dropping her saber to catch it again and kill guard since he is actively trying to push into her and lop her head off. The moment she drops, she should be dead. Instead the guard....lets go and pulls back? I wish it was longer, but I honestly liked Finn's fight with Phasma the most in the film. But I am also in love with Finn.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I still think they have to answer who Rey is within the context of the universe. She doesn't have to be related to someone else, but why/how is the Force "awakening" the way it does? Is it random or is there some meaning to it? How does she have powers that seem to just grow from nowhere? How does she know about the First Jedi temple? Why does she remark that she "knows this place" when she arrives there in TLJ? Is she some kind of reincarnation or some how memories/abilities of past Jedi or something?

Is she special even by Jedi standards or does this happen to a lot of Force users?

I think there has to be some kind of reason for all this given in Episode IX. It doesn't have to be some crazy thing that stops the movie for 20 minutes, but it's insane that Rey seems to be confused/terrified about the Force inside of her and everyone around her is just sort of "oh, ho hum".

My guess is she's a Chosen One and they pop up every few generations ala Anakin.

It's part of the will of the Cosmic Force. As Snoke and Luke also implies, if Dark Rises, so does Light, and Vice Versa, unless the force is not balanced.

And yes it does happen to more force users, like the broom kid, Ezra, and others.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the Cosmic Force did to balance things out when Vader murdered a bunch of tots. Or was that the "fuck it" moment when the force gave up and balance went bananas.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's interesting that people keep saying "the editing was messy/bad" yet all I've seen so far is one example posted. If it's stands out so much, why has nobody posted actual evidence of it (if you don't have video evidence, specific examples that you remember) besides one cut that's not even bad?

And why do people disappear when pressed

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that time when Obiwan was inexplicably fighting with Anakin's Lightsaber, and Anakin with Obiwan's (or was Anakin disarmed at that moment? i cant' remember exactly)?

that was neat

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reincarnation? I'm glad you're not a writer because we don't need answers to any of this stuff. The force found a vessel in Rey to balance things out. Simple as that. We don't need some elaborate explanation for this. Darkness rises and light to meet it. Simple, clean and understandable.

Yeah, one thing I do like is the idea that the Force seems to have some grand scheme.

You could convincingly argue that the Force hasn't been in balance for a thousand years, with the Jedi growing stronger while the Sith grew weaker. Perhaps Anakin's purpose to bring balance to the Force was not just to destroy the Sith, but the Jedi as well. Perhaps the very reason Palpatine was so successful is because the Force willed it.

That would mean Anakin's purpose was to "reset the board" between the light and the dark and that, from there, Ben was chosen to be the arbiter that would decide the future of the Force. Which means Luke and Rey were chosen by the Force for very similar roles - to counteract the influence of Palpatine and Snoke respectively, essentially preventing the Force from being dragged into the darkness.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Not a great cut. This movie's editing bothered me in a bunch of places, but the worst one is (I THINK) at the beginning of lesson 1 when Rey is standing in the archway of the cave. I wish I could make gifs to show it. Hrmm.

I wasn't a fan of the choreography. Felt very...well....choreographed. Another moment that isn't great is Kylo digging his saber into the ground to defend a swipe, but the guard swipes clearly at his saber instead of at Kylo. Also, not a fan of Rey dropping her saber to catch it again and kill guard since he is actively trying to push into her and lop her head off. The moment she drops, she should be dead. Instead the guard....lets go and pulls back? I wish it was longer, but I honestly liked Finn's fight with Phasma the most in the film. But I am also in love with Finn.
I've always liked this specific moment of the fight, with the way she and Kylo both get locked up, then the saber drop cut to finishing slash across the neck for Rey. Super badass. I love it, but have always simultaneously kinda felt there was something off about it. Does the saber drop make sense, what is the guard even trying to do, etc.? Now I guess I know why it felt off.
I don't know if I'll ever be able to not see it, but I think I'll be able to ignore the 'oopsies' feeling of it in the context of the amazingness of the overall fight.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that that's an ugly shot, the green screen is very apparent there but that has nothing to do with editing.

Oct 26, 2017
I do agree that that's an ugly shot, the green screen is very apparent there but that has nothing to do with editing.
Yeah. I'm not sure what I'm necessarily critiquing, but what bothered me is that the shot I'm thinking of looks like it was filmed at a different time (reshoot? I dunno) and then edited with another day of filming or something. I tried finding the moment I'm talking about on YouTube, but no luck. I'll have to pop in the bluray sometime when I get my new 4k player tomorrow and find it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's part of the will of the Cosmic Force. As Snoke and Luke also implies, if Dark Rises, so does Light, and Vice Versa, unless the force is not balanced.

And yes it does happen to more force users, like the broom kid, Ezra, and others.

That needs to be acknowledged in the movie at some point though directly IMO. Even Rey say she needs to know her place "in all of this", they need to stop dancing around the issue and simply come out with it. "Watch the cartoon series" is not a good enough answer either.

Either she is special or something or she's not and it's just random chance that she's that strong in the Force and for whatever reason knows the the first Jedi Temple (Ach'To).

The other thing I will say is I think JJ and Rian have kinda missed the point with the Force. "Balance" of the Force is not a literal 1 Jedi for one Sith type thing, Balance of the Force is no Dark Side at all. The Dark Side is a perversion/misuse of the Force, it throws the Force out of balance.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
That needs to be acknowledged in the movie at some point though directly IMO. Even Rey say she needs to know her place "in all of this", they need to stop dancing around the issue and simply come out with it. "Watch the cartoon series" is not a good enough answer either.

Either she is special or something or she's not and it's just random chance that she's that strong in the Force and for whatever reason knows the the first Jedi Temple (Ach'To).

The other thing I will say is I think JJ and Rian have kinda missed the point with the Force. "Balance" of the Force is not a literal 1 Jedi for one Sith type thing, Balance of the Force is no Dark Side at all. The Dark Side is a perversion/misuse of the Force, it throws the Force out of balance.
Exactly

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love The Force Awakens...amen. I'm not a fan of these new movies take on the balance. At all.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

When Rey says she needs to know her place in all of it, she's talking about the entire conflict, not just the force. And before J.J. and Rian. came into the picture the idea of balance was introduced as both the light and the dark. So the new revelations about the force are consistent in that regard. Snoke and Kylo both use the light and dark side.

Regarding Rey, what really needs to be known:
She's been shown and/or explicitly implied to have visions of the future multiple times in TFA:
8y8JCBc.gif

foreshadows this:
S3oPw4U.gif

followed directly by:
gXxEpXi.gif

and before that Kylo says she's dreamt of an island while on Jakku, later revealed to be the first jedi temple.

And just to reiterate, this isn't some special ability that Rey has, it's something all force users seem to experience in some way:

Oct 26, 2017
Not that it matters much to your overall point, since it is still valid one way or other, but isn't it implied in the movie, or is it the novelization, that Anakin's visions of Padme's death were being put in there by Palpatine?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not that it matters much to your overall point, since it is still valid one way or other, but isn't it implied in the movie, or is it the novelization, that Anakin's visions of Padme's death were being put in there by Palpatine?
Nah. Remember he had the same kinds of visions in AOTC:

Speaking of novelizations, in the novelization of The Last Jedi, Snoke actually calls this ability the most dangerous of all of them. For good reason, seems to constantly fuck people over since they never get the full picture.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
But she HAS found her place 'in all of this' and that's a place of being the last Jedi and helping the Resistance, her friends, beat the First Order. She had no place before, she didn't know what she had to do or who she was, she felt that talking to Luke would give her this answer. That Luke would say, "you're my daughter! And as Luke's daughter now you fit into this peg" but she didn't find those answers from others, she had to find her own answers. At the end of the movie Kylo Ren tells her she has no place in this story, that she's no one, but she rejects that notion because she HAS found her place in all of this and she didn't need Luke or Kylo to give it to her and she didn't need to by being anyone's kid. She found it by herself.
I'm not sure I get where you're getting this idea, honestly. In TLJ we get a new concept, that the cosmic Force awakens Rey's powers to go against Kylo Ren. The Force does this to directly fight and beat Kylo, no? Then wouldn't this stand to reason that the balance here isn't about having 1 Lightside user and 1 Darkside user but having something to counter and beat the darkside user?

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. Remember he had the same kinds of visions in AOTC:

Speaking of novelizations, in the novelization of The Last Jedi, Snoke actually calls this ability the most dangerous of all of them. For good reason, seems to constantly fuck people over since they never get the full picture.

Ah. Forgot all about this. And that's pretty cool about Snoke. He's on point though. For what we've seen, those who have the visions don't know how to interpret them or put too much stock in them. Or like you said, don't understand the full picture but act on the vision anyway. I haven't gotten very far in the book for The Last Jedi yet though. Keep getting sidetracked.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

"Darkness rises, and light to meet it"

I mean, yeah they will probably answer this in a better way, but it isn't much of a mystery either. The Force Awakens in her, now she's The Last Jedi

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But she HAS found her place 'in all of this' and that's a place of being the last Jedi and helping the Resistance, her friends, beat the First Order. She had no place before, she didn't know what she had to do or who she was, she felt that talking to Luke would give her this answer. That Luke would say, "you're my daughter! And as Luke's daughter now you fit into this peg" but she didn't find those answers from others, she had to find her own answers. At the end of the movie Kylo Ren tells her she has no place in this story, that she's no one, but she rejects that notion because she HAS found her place in all of this and she didn't need Luke or Kylo to give it to her and she didn't need to by being anyone's kid. She found it by herself.

I'm not sure I get where you're getting this idea, honestly. In TLJ we get a new concept, that the cosmic Force awakens Rey's powers to go against Kylo Ren. The Force does this to directly fight and beat Kylo, no? Then wouldn't this stand to reason that the balance here isn't about having 1 Lightside user and 1 Darkside user but having something to counter and beat the darkside user?

No I believe the "balance" comes from the light destroying the Dark Side so it doesn't exist period. And Rey wouldn't be the first example of that, that's basically Anakin Skywalker's backstory, Plageuis is trying to manipulate life through the Dark Side and the Force basically creates Anakin to (eventually) put an end to the Sith.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
No I believe the "balance" comes from the light destroying the Dark Side so it doesn't exist period
I know and I'm saying I'm not sure why you think TFA and TLJ is saying otherwise. The whole concept of "balance" is only present in PT and the only thing even resembling any sort of balance is Snoke saying he knew an equal would rise to meet the darkness in Kylo but that's to beat him, so I'm not sure why you think the ST is saying there need to be a balance between light and dark.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know and I'm saying I'm not sure why you think TFA and TLJ is saying otherwise. The whole concept of "balance" is only present in PT and the only thing even resembling any sort of balance is Snoke saying he knew an equal would rise to meet the darkness in Kylo but that's to beat him, so I'm not sure why you think the ST is saying there need to be a balance between light and dark.

There are a lot of references in TLJ about balance being like balance between light/dark (what do you see? light ... darkness, etc.).

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of references in TLJ about balance being like balance between light/dark (what do you see? light ... darkness, etc.).
You mean when Rey looks into the island? That's a darkness you cannot destroy, it's impossible to eradicate death and violence. Everything is part of the Force, light and dark, and you can't get rid of that. That's, I feel, completely separate from people who USE the Darkside of the Force. Even if you removed all Sith or all Darkside users, the Darkside of the Force would still exist.
LUKE: Balance. Powerful light, powerful darkness.
How would you go about destroying the concept of death? Or violence? Pain? Anger? As long as there is a "Force" there will be lightside and darkside. Don't forget that Luke tells us it's vanity to think that without the Jedi the lightside would die, apply that same concept to the Sith or Snoke/Kylo Ren. It's vanity to think that Darkside of the Force would die without them.

Last edited:

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I kind of don't like that Rey was chosen by the Force to balance out Kylo Ren. Like, does that mean every force user has an equal but opposite rival? I'm not sure if the force is balanced because both are alive or if Kylo Ren needs to die for it to be balanced. Also, I think it kind of takes the fun out of the training aspect if Rey's powers automatically grow when Kylo Ren's do.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Rey says she needs to know her place in all of it, she's talking about the entire conflict, not just the force. And before J.J. and Rian. came into the picture the idea of balance was introduced as both the light and the dark. So the new revelations about the force are consistent in that regard. Snoke and Kylo both use the light and dark side.

Still for her character IMO it's important that some context be placed on who she is and what she represents. They can't just keeping on with "well you got crazy powers, ho hum".

The truth is though honestly the writers don't really know who Rey is, they're kinda making it up and there is no real concrete outline for her character. Rian didn't really answer anything more than he did "well I'm just gonna do the opposite of what everyone expects on the parentage issue", which is fine, but it still doesn't contextualize who she is in the universe.

In The Matrix we know Neo is someone special and he's acknowledged, treated, tested as such.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Still for her character IMO it's important that some context be placed on who she is and what she represents. They can't just keeping on with "well you got crazy powers, ho hum".

The truth is though honestly the writers don't really know who Rey is, they're kinda making it up and there is no real concrete outline for her character. Rian didn't really answer anything more than he did "well I'm just gonna do the opposite of what everyone expects on the parentage issue", which is fine, but it still doesn't contextualize who she is in the universe.

In The Matrix we know Neo is someone special and he's acknowledged, treated, tested as such.
The point is that she is no one special. She's just Rey, the child of two alcoholics who was abandonede on a shit hole planet yet still managed to become a jedi, because anyone can become a jedi. You're looking for a greater meaning behind it all when the point is that there is no greater meaning because ANYONE can be a hero.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
But those are two separate things. You can know who she is and what she represents, because we already do, without us being told why the Force picked her specifically. Why was Anakin's mom chosen by the Force? Why was Obi-Wan? Why was Windu? Why was Yoda? Why was literally every single Force user that we've ever known picked by the Force? We've never been told that answer, why do we need one for Rey to feel like we "know" her?
In The Matrix Neo is the chosen one. Why? Because he is. You know he's special because he's the chosen one and our main character. We know Rey is special because she was chosen by the Force to awaken and she's our main character.

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching force awakens. In Maz's cantina, the dudes Finn is talking to to trade work for passage to the outer rim, is one of them the same species as the Jedi temple care takers?

ae6d998293c47e130f5d6c0e4584ee8f.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point is that she is no one special. She's just Rey, the child of two alcoholics who was abandonede on a shit hole planet yet still managed to become a jedi, because anyone can become a jedi. You're looking for a greater meaning behind it all when the point is that there is no greater meaning because ANYONE can be a hero.

It's not a satisfying story arc if that's all it is to me though.

IMO also largely that's Rian Johnson's invention, and that's what happens when you have two writers who basically just did their own thing. It doesn't feel cohesive.

If anyone can be a hero, then why care about Rey. Broom Kid or someone else will just be by like a bus that comes every five minutes anyway so there's not much at stake.

She doesn't have to be so and so's kid (that's fine), but in my opinion if that's all she is then it's not really a dramatic choice that has much meat on the bones.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a satisfying story arc if that's all it is to me though.

IMO also largely that's Rian Johnson's invention, and that's what happens when you have two writers who basically just did their own thing. It doesn't feel cohesive.

If anyone can be a hero, then why care about Rey. Broom Kid or someone else will just be by like a bus that comes every five minutes anyway so there's not much at stake.

She doesn't have to be so and so's kid (that's fine), but in my opinion if that's all she is then it's not really a dramatic choice that has much meat on the bones.
Imagine what that message means for people who might be watching SW for the first time in a long time. Imagine what that message means for kids specifically. It's an incredibly positive message. You don't have to be related to so and so to succeed in life. People spent literally two years trying to tie Rey into a specific bloodline so that the SW universe fits into a nice neat little bow, myself included, the idea that she's nobody yet capable of accomplishing great things is an incredibly positive and relatable message.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally watched it. Held off because all of the shit talking. I actual only have one big problem with it and a few minor gripes. Overall though I loved like 90% of it.

The luke milk scene.
The shirtless Kylo scene.
The boy at the very end just bothered me. Didn't like them ending it on that. Felt out of place.
The casino part and everything that happens while there. It was lame and felt like a scene from a tv show. Really didn't work for a SW film.

Ok, the big problem with it. The Finn/Rose mission failure leads to hundreds or thousands of rebels getting killed. And a lack of responsibility about it. It's just like oh well, casualties of War. Next...!
I cannot forgive or forget this part of the film. It legit ruins it for me.
Perhaps that was why he tries the suicide run but if so it could have been said verbally. "This is all my fault, I'm going to take that down no matter what happens to me!"

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine what that message means for people who might be watching SW for the first time in a long time. Imagine what that message means for kids specifically. It's an incredibly positive message. You don't have to be related to so and so to succeed in life. People spent literally two years trying to tie Rey into a specific bloodline so that the SW universe fits into a nice neat little bow, myself included, the idea that she's nobody yet capable of accomplishing great things is an incredibly positive and relatable message.

I always thought that was kind of obvious though no? Even in the 80s before the prequels we knew there were lots of Jedi in the past, and it's not like they were supposed to be all Skywalkers or something, so a lot of them had to come out of nowhere. I thought that was always a given. Obviously Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Luke all had different lineages and presumably come from different places.

I'm just saying in the context of this story, it would be nice if they gave some thought to what Rey means to it other than just 'well, she's just this person who has some cool powers'.

There's also a lot of "Who Are You ... No ... Who Are You?", "Who Is She?" ... like it's very built up and said over and over again in the films, like why do that, lol if there's nothing really there to know.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought that was kind of obvious though no? Even in the 80s before the prequels we knew there were lots of Jedi in the past, and it's not like they were supposed to be all Skywalkers or something, so a lot of them had to come out of nowhere. I thought that was always a given. Obviously Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Luke all had different lineages and presumably come from different places.

I'm just saying in the context of this story, it would be nice if they gave some thought to what Rey means to it other than just 'well, she's just this person who has some cool powers'.

There's also a lot of "Who Are You ... No ... Who Are You?", "Who Is She?" ... like it's very built up and said over and over again in the films, like why do that, lol if there's nothing really there to know.
The story always focused on the Skywalkers. Rey embodie a lot of positive qualities as well as negative qualities that make her empathetic and relatable. There's only two instances iirc where people ask who she is, first Maz Kanata, because she can tell tat Rey is force sensitive, then Luke when he realizes that Leia must've sent Rey specifically for a reason.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, the big problem with it. The Finn/Rose mission failure leads to hundreds or thousands of rebels getting killed. And a lack of responsibility about it. It's just like oh well, casualties of War. Next...!
I cannot forgive or forget this part of the film. It legit ruins it for me.
Perhaps that was why he tries the suicide run but if so it could have been said verbally. "This is all my fault, I'm going to take that down no matter what happens to me!"
Approx. 380 rebels die because of DJ's betrayal. Poe deserves the blame rather than Finn, but Holdo especially for not telling everyone they were going to Crait. The only reason I can fathom that no one blames Finn or Poe is that, from the rebels' point of view, their mutiny appears to have been inconsequential. No one knows DJ sold out the rebels except Finn, Rose, and Poe. No one knows why the First Order started firing on the transports. Also I guess it's a kids movie and Johnson probably didn't think too hard about it?

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This is exactly the same message I took from the movie.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Approx. 380 rebels die because of DJ's betrayal. Poe deserves the blame rather than Finn, but Holdo especially for not telling everyone they were going to Crait. The only reason I can fathom that no one blames Finn or Poe is that, from the rebels' point of view, their mutiny appears to have been inconsequential. No one knows DJ sold out the rebels except Finn, Rose, and Poe. No one knows why the First Order started firing on the transports. Also I guess it's a kids movie and Johnson probably didn't think too hard about it?
Telling everyone your secret plan to trick the enemy is a terrible idea.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
The only additional thing I need from Rey is a last name. It's getting kind of silly now. If her family were indeed just drunken idiots that's fine, just give me Rey Johnson and we're good.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't notice this the first time but Rey took the Jedi books with her before the temple burned down. At least I think those are the Jedi books shown in the Falcon near the end of the movie.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
Telling everyone your secret plan to trick the enemy is a terrible idea.

Especially when it's already been established that there are deserters on the Resistance side, that escape pods can be scanned for life forms in the Star Wars universe, and that the enemy have a literal mind-reader on their side.

If the plan was public knowledge, and even ONE of those escape pods got picked up by the FO, Kylo would've been able to break that dude and find out the plan in .00005 seconds.

Oct 28, 2017

I think you misunderstood why the writer is emphasizing that so much in that scene. It's about Rey figuring out who she is and standing on her own two feet, not letting others define who she is for her.