• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just a bit too early to have homosexual relationships in such mainstream films like Star Wars without rising suspicion of it being just a hip move or excessive political correctness or a jab at conservatives. These things take time, in 2 or 300 years we won't have these discussions anymore.

The day we stop praising or condemning these kind of things in movies as "progessive" is the day we realize they're just supposed to be normal. You know the war is won when we don't notice this stuff anymore; that doesn't mean lowering our guard or halting the discussion, but making the level of inclusiveness of a movie or product a big talking point every single time is a way to make something that's supposed to be the norm controversial.

It's been 41 years. It's not "too early"

I don't give a shit about the feelings of bigots.

Oct 28, 2017
The movie isn't even anti-establishment. The hero of the movie believes in the Jedi and the value of the Jedi Order, fights to convince the last Jedi to bring said Order back but fails and leaves the island with the ancient texts.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The movie isn't even anti-establishment. The hero of the movie believes in the Jedi and the value of the Jedi Order, fights to convince the last Jedi to bring said Order back but fails and leaves the island with the ancient texts.

The movie doesn't even have a single, coherent message.

If you scrutinize Luke's position about Jedis and the Force or Poe and Finn's arc the movie carelessly flip flops around positions because, honestly, it doesn't take itself so seriously that it pretends to have a higher message. This is a movie where Yoda "teaches a lesson" to Luke about letting go of the past and having faith in the future by LYING to him about the status of the Jedi texts, where the guy who gets a few hundred people killed gets named leader of the Resistance less than half a day after he attempted a mutiny and where two of the good guys literally interact with SLAVE KIDS and prioritize freeing some cattle.

If look at TLJ and see a strong political stance I weep for your soul.

Oct 28, 2017

If you scrutinize Luke's position about Jedis and the Force or Poe and Finn's arc the movie carelessly flip flops around positions because, honestly, it doesn't take itself so seriously that it pretends to have a higher message. This is a movie where Yoda "teaches a lesson" to Luke about letting go of the past and having faith in the future by LYING to him about the status of the Jedi texts, where the guy who gets a few hundred people killed gets named leader of the Resistance less than half a day after he attempted a mutiny and where two of the good guys literally interact with SLAVE KIDS and prioritize freeing some cattle.

Sure it does. Learn from your past but don't let it define you. Pass on what you have learned, even your failures as they are just as important as victories. The movie finds a healthy middle ground in the character of Rey who values the past but also represents the potential for a better future.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just seems like an unnecessary addition to an sci fantasy movie aimed at kids as it's core audience?

That's not a bigoted statement, it's just that adding something so overtly policitallt correct and PC to this movie just would have been out of place.

Obviously lesbian Asians can exist anywhere, even in outer space , and I'm totally fine with that and support their rights that live the life they want. That's all perfectly fine. I just doesn't fit all that well into a Star Wars movie.

lool what the fuck is wrong with you

You gonna complain next that black people don't really fit all that well in a Star Wars movie and thus Finn was a bad choice for a lead?

Crawl back into your alt-right hideyhole.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure it does. Learn from your past but don't let it define you. Pass on what you have learned, even your failures as they are just as important as victories. The movie finds a healthy middle ground in the character of Rey who values the past but also represents the potential for a better future.
Exactly, Yoda lays it out for you in as plain a fashion as is possible for a short green puppet guy.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Nah. Rey doesn't even have any real beliefs about the Jedi. She just wants to learn to control her powers.

The ST is actually super-populist and anti-establishment. Same as the OT. Rebels versus the government. Even the Jedi Order doesn't exist in the OT and ST. It's a bunch of lone Jedi saving the world.

If you want an anti-populist movie then look no further than the PT.

My friend made an essay out of it recently. I'll probably share later when he's done with it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how it's so hard to understand that Luke was wrong about his views and changed them. Like said above, Yoda lays it out perfectly and saying, "well, Luke said x and that contradicts that" well, yeah, he was wrong.

There's nothing inconherent about a character growing and changing their views.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Now we're back to business.

giphy.gif

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, TLJ tries to make a theme out of letting the past go but really they just want the old people out of the way.

It's for the kids (tm)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
They really shouldn't put the, "let the past die" line in the trailers cus people cannot seem to actually let that line die and grow beyond it to listen to Yoda and Luke at the end of the movie, who tells us that that line is wrong, that Kylo is wrong and that Luke was wrong.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The dang o' movie literally ends with a kid retelling a story about Luke Skywalker, with a Rebel ring and while he holds his little broom stick like a Lightsaber because Luke Skywalker has inspired him.

Does that say, "let go of the past"?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
They really shouldn't put the, "let the past die" line in the trailers cus people cannot seem to actually let that line die and grow beyond it to listen to Yoda and Luke at the end of the movie, who tells us that that line is wrong, that Kylo is wrong and that Luke was wrong.

To be fair, there's something that's just so convincing about Kylo, though. I can't quite put my finger on it...

tumblr_p2dcyzZ1or1v583k3o1_540.gif

btw, it is 100% canon that Kylo sent such hot shirtless pics through Forcechat that Rey skipped flirting entirely and went straight to mailing herself to him in a box. Not even Legends. Not even EU. Straight up, uncut, pure Star Wars canon.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand the whole Reylo thing. Do people actually think/wish that it's going to happen based on one scene?

I do. I thought after TFA that they probably will end up in love. TLJ just reinforced that feeling with the shirtless scene etc. and the handholding, but I guess we'll see. I certainly hope they fall in love or whatever.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I do. I thought after TFA that they probably will end up in love. TLJ just reinforced that feeling with the shirtless scene etc. and the handholding, but I guess we'll see. I certainly hope they fall in love or whatever.

I didn't really care for that scene, mostly because it was a lame attempt at humor. Anyway, as for it starting in the TFA, I thought it would have been Finn. Then the whole Rose plot happened. Those two have no chemistry whatsoever. I was actually disappointed they seem to be going that route.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't really care for that scene, mostly because it was a lame attempt at humor. Anyway, as for it starting in the TFA, I thought it would have been Finn. Then the whole Rose plot happened. Those two have no chemistry whatsoever. I was actually disappointed they seem to be going that route.

Agreed. And there was also some sexual tension between Rey and Finn definitely in TLJ, constantly asking for each other, and the line where Chewie says something that isn't spelled out to the audience. I just feel, that if they need to have a romance plotline (and apparently they do) It would best make sense between Rey & Kylo, since they have been trying to figure each other out from the very start. Something like When Harry meet Sally, but in space :D

And Rose was just a waste, the whole Canto Bight thing would have worked way better with a Finn / Poe dynamic.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Rey is the rebellious teen daughter who wants to follow the guidance of her father figure, Luke, but feels inexorably drawn to the bad boy in her life, Kylo Ren. Kylo, for his part, feels that same desire, that forbidden love for a girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Luke catches the two of them together and explodes with anger, but Rey defies her father and runs out of the house to meet her true love. Kylo isn't quite ready to give in and tells his Dad (Snoke) about them, but when Snoke forces him to break up with her, Kylo realises that he truly loves Rey. With both their fathers out of the way, they throw caution to the wind and have wild, uninhibited (metaphorical) sex in the throne room.

The Last Jedi: A Star Wars Love Story... from a certain point of view.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

By the end of TLJ Rey views Ben with nothing but pity and contempt, and he actively wants to murder her. There is no possibility of them having a romantic relationship at this point. The movie showed us two loners of the opposite sex trying to turn the other one to their side, with a few moments of emotional intimacy that might have led to something if one of them had turned. But that didn't happen. The movie ends with Rey literally closing the door on her fledgling relationship with Ben.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

I think with the Jedi, it's sort of about not going to extremes (you know, like how on the internet everyone goes to polar extremes). Luke wants the Jedi to end. Rey is all about bringing the legend back. Yoda, he's about a middle ground. Burn the tree. Everything will work out. Rey has the books. She'll learn what she needs from both the books and from Luke's lessons, and move forward from there.

As for the rest. Well, there's issues.

Honestly everytime I see someone use the term PC unironically I just assume they're using it as a buzzword, same with SJW and "alt-left".

Did you notice though, that dude said "politically correct and PC"? It's like saying I'd like two sandwiches, one with bacon, lettuce, and tomato, and a BLT.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
By the end of TLJ Rey views Ben with nothing but pity and contempt, and he actively wants to murder her. There is no possibility of them having a romantic relationship at this point. The movie showed us two loners of the opposite sex trying to turn the other one to their side, with a few moments of emotional intimacy that might have led to something if one of them had turned. But that didn't happen. The movie ends with Rey literally closing the door on her fledgling relationship with Ben.

But, they also showed that they're minds were still bridged without Snoke, so they were still connected. I really don't like fan speculation/drivel lol, but with Star Wars it's fun because literally anything can happen. And I also think that we ain't done yet with Rey's heritage.

And they both definitely see each other as the forbidden fruit.

The Finn Rey thing is more of a friend thing, the only thing that suggests otherwise is the line from Chewie that we don't know, but I really doubt it was anything about love or something like that.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
But, they also showed that they're minds were still bridged without Snoke, so they were still connected. I really don't like fan speculation/drivel lol, but with Star Wars it's fun because literally anything can happen. And I also think that we ain't done yet with Rey's heritage.

Rey literally closed the door on Ben when he tried to reach out to her again. The third movie isn't going to go back and rehash what we already saw, the dynamic between the two is now set.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Kylo's "shirtless scene" isn't a "lame attempt at humour" but something Rian put in to make it clear that Rey and Ben could actually see each other in the exact state they were at the moment, which is propodeutical to making the final stunt Luke pulls on Crait believable without exposition.

Of course at the end of the movie Luke isn't projecting himself exactly how he is, but that's a detail. That small scene is brilliant for several reasons:

- it gives us an important piece of information in the form of a small, funny quip that doesn't take away time
- it dispells the "who's this skinny scrawny Vader wannabe?" complaints from TFA (Driver's original suit made him look a lot thinner than intended, I think)
- it knowingly creates a meme to challenge the entirety of the Prequel Memes

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Rey is the rebellious teen daughter who wants to follow the guidance of her father figure, Luke, but feels inexorably drawn to the bad boy in her life, Kylo Ren. Kylo, for his part, feels that same desire, that forbidden love for a girl from the wrong side of the tracks. Luke catches the two of them together and explodes with anger, but Rey defies her father and runs out of the house to meet her true love. Kylo isn't quite ready to give in and tells his Dad (Snoke) about them, but when Snoke forces him to break up with her, Kylo realises that he truly loves Rey. With both their fathers out of the way, they throw caution to the wind and have wild, uninhibited (metaphorical) sex in the throne room.

The Last Jedi: A Star Wars Love Story... from a certain point of view.

Are we somehow forgetting that that dude killed Han, tried to kill Finn, and tried kill Luke? No offense, but that's such a fandom post, lol. I get some people want to see those two together, but I don't see it happening for that very reason. I can see Rey continue to try and save him, but I don't see that as an act of love. More like she's doing it for Han and Leia.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, this is how I also see it. They are good friends but that's pretty much it.

They've known each other for less than 48 hours. I think it's natural affinity more than friendship (not in a sexual sense, mind you).

I think this is the biggest flaw of the ST in general - the high octane pace makes all personal relationships feel hollow and artificial. In the OT, the group literally spent months or years together between movies, cementing their relationships. In the PT, decades.

Here you have Poe and Finn who have, realistically, literally spent less than an hour together since they met and who trust each other with attempted mutiny just because (there's NOBODY Poe trusts more than Finn?). Finn is incredibly worried about Rey after not having seen her for.... 4, 5 hours? Rey's reaction is easier to explain as she left him in a coma.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Rey shut the door on Kylo. There's no Reylo. There's no ReyPoe. There's no Reyinn. There is an awesome heroine and a great villain that have a good chemistry between them which will make them both much more reluctant to kill each other. Which will make their conflict pretty interesting.