• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
Damn now I hope I included that shot of Kylo and Finn locking sabers. Nice picks.

Thanks. I think the movie looks fucking amazing. And Johnson's maybe even more.

Really cannot WAIT for all the high-res caps from Episode VIII.

Yeah the hyperspace fuck you and other scenes look incredible, but Rian really got a lot of great atmosphere out of Skellig Michael.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's gonna be, like, 7 hours of nonstop Star Wars in one day. My body isn't ready.
tenor.gif

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Rogue One is still the best looking Star Wars film, IMO if not as memorable as TFA. Consistently stunning with an endless amount of beautiful establishing shots. It has less new imagery but it works with what it has extremely well.

Gwb3ZAr.jpg

Last edited:

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
It looks terrific. For sure. I dunno about BY FAR, but it's definitely in league with the better stuff (5, 7 and 8)

That part when the Hammerhead corvette plows the two star detroyers together along with Giacchino's music is fuckin god tier.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
TFA had better cinematography imo. It's just that TLJ has a few standout shots that were different and eye catching in their contrast and simplicity.

They both have terrific cinematography. With The Last Jedi, you know, give it a bit. There's a lot of stunning shots.

Hell, in theaters, there's no way I could commend TFA on its cinematography without really first looking at it shot by shot, which you cannot do as well until the home video release.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
TLJ and Rogue One are so close, I can't really say which has better cinematography.

Again I think it's hard to say for now. It really becomes more apparent after time. I can think of more than a few scenes in TLJ that blew me away more on a visual level, but yeah, we need that home release to really milk it (no pun intended)

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They both have terrific cinematography. With The Last Jedi, you know, give it a bit. There's a lot of stunning shots.

Hell, in theaters, there's no way I could commend TFA on its cinematography without really first looking at it shot by shot, which you cannot do as well until the home video release.

I edited my post to say 'better overall'. I think that TLJ has much higher highs though.

Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys, so I finally saw TLJ today. I guess I can kind of understand the angry right wing internet outrage that was swirling around during the release. Not agree with it but understand.

There's a lot of well intentioned progressive ideas being tossed around in the movie.

The movie starts off with the death of a bomber making a bombing run on the dreadnought but the movie quickly tells us that she was a lesbian married to another Asian woman. The surviving lesbian wife keeps her half of the ying yang as she copes with the loss of her spouse. It's poignant stuff.

But it's also a lot of lesbianism for a Star Wars movie so I can see why some folks are outraged a bit.

The part of about freeing the animals was a little to blatant and heavy handed.

Poe's conflict with Laura Dern had undertones of male distrust of women in authority roles. The movie goes to great pains to make the viewer agree with Poe's point of view only to twist that in its head and throw It back in our faces as wrong and chauvinistic. Pretty big liberal "f you" to conservatives.

I don't understand what Justin Thoreau's character was supposed to be doing or accomplishing in the movie?

The talk of a space age military industrial complex that makes weapons for both sides was way too ham fisted. Look if I want to hear more about THE WAR ECONOMY then I'll replay Metal Gear Solid 4 for the 25th time, thank you very much.

I dunno, it was a weird movie. I think I liked it?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that's a great likeness of Daisy, even with half her face obscured.

Bonus points for both Rey and Kylo still having their original limbs intact, too.
Reylo is serious business, man. LucasFilm needs to hire some of those artists to make concept art.
The movie starts off with the death of a bomber making a bombing run on the dreadnought but the movie quickly tells us that she was a lesbian married to another Asian woman.
kCpStKx.png

that was her sister.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, so I finally saw TLJ today. I guess I can kind of understand the angry right wing internet outrage that was swirling around during the release. Not agree with it but understand.

There's a lot of well intentioned progressive ideas being tossed around in the movie.

The movie starts off with the death of a bomber making a bombing run on the dreadnought but the movie quickly tells us that she was a lesbian married to another Asian woman. The surviving lesbian wife keeps her half of the ying yang as she copes with the loss of her spouse. It's poignant stuff.

But it's also a lot of lesbianism for a Star Wars movie so I can see why some folks are outraged a bit.

The part of about freeing the animals was a little to blatant and heavy handed.

Poe's conflict with Laura Dern had undertones of male distrust of women in authority roles. The movie goes to great pains to make the viewer agree with Poe's point of view only to twist that in its head and throw It back in our faces as wrong and chauvinistic. Pretty big liberal "f you" to conservatives.

I don't understand what Justin Thoreau's character was supposed to be doing or accomplishing in the movie?

The talk of a space age military industrial complex that makes weapons for both sides was way too ham fisted. Look if I want to hear more about THE WAR ECONOMY then I'll replay Metal Gear Solid 4 for the 25th time, thank you very much.

I dunno, it was a weird movie. I think I liked it?
That was roses sister that died, not her lover.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

I think you might have missed a crucial bit of dialogue there, my man :P

Reylo is serious business, man. LucasFilm needs to hire some of those artists to make concept art.

100% agreed. Though I could do with slightly more muscle definition and vascularity on Kylo (and Rey, for that matter). And sweat. Lots more sweat.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You're kinda implying that to be conservative is to be misogynistic here, too. Like, if a movie plays with the trope that a woman in power is to be distrusted, and then you find out she actually wasn't bad, and you feel like the movie is saying "fuck you", then you might wanna wonder why you feel entitled to distrust a woman in power.
They went to Canto Bight to get him, they failed and had to settle with DJ.

Oct 28, 2017
User has been banned (1w): completely misunderstood the relationship between two characters and uses that misinterpretation as base to make homophobic statements.
Why would that be "a stretch narratively"?

It just seems like an unnecessary addition to an sci fantasy movie aimed at kids as it's core audience?

That's not a bigoted statement, it's just that adding something so overtly policitallt correct and PC to this movie just would have been out of place.

Obviously lesbian Asians can exist anywhere, even in outer space , and I'm totally fine with that and support their rights that live the life they want. That's all perfectly fine. I just doesn't fit all that well into a Star Wars movie.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ok that makes a lot more sense if they were sisters. Lesbian Asians seemed like a stretch narratively.

giphy.gif

Honestly though I thought they were partners at first too, until Rose said "sister".

Oct 28, 2017
Look guys, I feel like we're getting off the beaten path here. Lost in the weeds. I'm not prejudiced by nature. I was commenting on a plot point that seemed out of place. And I was apparently wrong about it having overtones that it didn't mean to have. I guess I misread the movie in this small regard.

Oct 25, 2017
It just seems like an unnecessary addition to an sci fantasy movie aimed at kids as it's core audience?
Firstly, I don't think the "core" or "target" audience really matters. That just means what Disney focuses on to get the most asses in seats. The actual audience, which includes millions of adults like me and you, is what matters IMO, so even if lesbian asians in space was too crazy to show to the kiddies (which is kind of already an absurd implication), I don't think it really matters that the (PG13) movie is targeted at children.

Secondly, what are some necessary additions to a sci fantasy movie? I'm pretty sure Star Wars has had relationships before that weren't front and center like Luke's aunt and uncle, people of color before that could've just been white, a bunch of shit that was clearly made to sell toys before that didn't need to be in there but maybe it looked cool to some people... when did the sci fantasy movie get so narrow in what it can include?

That's not a bigoted statement, it's just that adding something so overtly policitallt correct and PC to this movie just would have been out of place.
The problem is if you're an asian/Vietnamese person and/or you're lesbian, unless you start getting put into big movies like Star Wars, you're identity is always going to be "too overtly PC" to be shown off in major or even minor ways, and that's probably a bad feeling. I can't really speak to it in depth since I'm as straight white male as they come, but the idea that someone's identity needing to be relegated to some bum fuck indie movie that no one will watch compared to Star Wars because it's too political is cyclical and strange, much stranger than them being in the movie because the creators just simply wanted them to.

Pretty funny though that this never actually even happened in The Last Jedi.

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, what?!

giphy.gif

Honestly though I thought they were partners at first too, until Rose said "sister".

YES IM TELLING YOU THE DIRECTOR WANTED US TO THINK THIS.

It's not just me. There's a subtext here.

Also, there's tons of other feminist philosophy being used in the movie. And again, there's nothing wrong with that but it's clearly there.

Leia berating Poe to "get his head out of his cockpit" is clearly meant to belittle Poe and mock his manhood. Poe eventually does learn to think a bit (although his big evolution is order a retreat rather than die fighting? Man that's a depressingly shallow character). It feels like all the male characters in the movie serve as cartoonish foils against which the female characters are propped up and lauded as heroic.

And again, female empowerment is a great thing. We're all for it. It's just again odd to see it so blatantly portrayed, especially in Star Wars.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ignore the pretty creepy part about incest, asian and seagulls, Rogue One's cinematography is probably the best in the Disney era of Star Wars, but I think it also strongly benefits from the attempts to go "dirty" to match the OT's visuals. There's something beautiful (expecially in the space scenes) in having CGI that tries to look like what props would do if shot with modern techonology.

Overall I think TFA has the best cinematography. TLJ is very uneven, and I think it kind of falls flats in some of its most "iconic" shots (like Crait). It has a few sequence that are absolutely immaculate (like the throne room fight, or Holdo's manuever) but I feel like they also stand out because TLJ is a surprisingly static movie, with fewer action set pieces than its predecessors (and one being Canto Bright doesn't help).

Oct 25, 2017
YES IM TELLING YOU THE DIRECTOR WANTED US TO THINK THIS.
I don't think so. My thoughts were "was that her mother? No, too young. Her friend? Maybe? Sister? If the intention was to mislead us it probably wouldn't have been instantly brought up that it was her sister.
Leia berating Poe to "get his head out of his cockpit" is clearly meant to belittle Poe and mock his manhood. Poe eventually does learn to think a bit
Leia berated Poe to get his head out of his cockpit because she was referencing that time that Poe got people killed while inside his cockpit. If there's any evidence that Poe's cockpit is tied to his manhood, I'd be interesting in hearing that.

Oct 28, 2017
Hell I'll do you one better, want to hear the ultimate progressive "F-You" buried in this movie? It's those goddamned fish ladies on the island. They cling to arcane past history. They dress like nuns. Theyre ridiculed throughout the film. They're supposed to be the Catholic Church. I'm telling you, there's some wild anti establishment subtext going on in this movie. It's insane but it's there. All of it.

Oct 28, 2017
There's also a lot of Millennial angst in this movie which was odd. The whole idea of killing off the Jedi and not having Rey trained as a typical Jedi is unsettling but brimming with millennial desires to buck the normal trends. Nobody likes being labeled in this movie. Established traditions are to be ignored in this movie. Independence is more important now than being labeled as part of an older societal institution. The movie goes to great lengths to cast off old trends. It's about questioning ones place in the world. Not about being another cog in it. It's pure Marxism. In Star Wars. It's nuts.

Oct 28, 2017
The Wise Old Man your posts are a parody of right wing extremism

Right? That's the purpose?

Yes and no. There's a certain truth here that can't be denied: this movie is profoundly anti establishment. I'm not making a value judgement of that. I'm just stating the reality of the situation.

You could replace the entire John williams score of this movie with "kill your hero's" by AWOL nation on a constant loop and nobody would bat an eye or notice it as out of place.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. There's a certain truth here that can't be denied: this movie is profoundly anti establishment. I'm not making a value judgement of that. I'm just stating the reality of the situation.
Star Wars has always been about being progressive like that. For instance, Empire Strikes Back features a brother and a sister kissing. Those are some dank memes right there.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... anyway. I got to see it again this weekend and the whole thing sat much better with me after the second viewing. The only remaining sore-spot is Leia flying through space which is still super fucking dumb, but somewhat less so. All my other issues kinda dissipated.

Also that whole Yoda sequence gives me fucking life - how comes they nailed the shit out of the puppet this time and yet the prequel puppet sucked so much?

Answer me!

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So... anyway. I got to see it again this weekend and the whole thing sat much better with me after the second viewing. The only remaining sore-spot is Leia flying through space which is still super fucking dumb, but somewhat less so. All my other issues kinda dissipated.

Also that whole Yoda sequence gives me fucking life - how comes they nailed the shit out of the puppet this time and yet the prequel puppet sucked so much?

Answer me!
The fuck you say? Say it to my weird fucking face, bro.
iumOyn2.jpg

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Answer me!
Neil Scanlan and his creature workshop recreated the mould used for Empire's Yoda.
"And [creature designer] Neal Scanlon and his group actually found the original mould for the Empire puppet, and meticulously recreated it. They actually found the woman who drew the original eyes for Yoda, she's still working outside Pinewood, and they found her and got her to do the eyes."

Oct 25, 2017
As for the Yoda puppet in TLJ... why does that first shot of him look so weird and then he looks fine after that? I watched it twice and I still have no clue what was so off.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars has been about REBELLING.

The Re-BELLION. Rebel Alliance. I ain't in this for your revolution, sister (buy he actually buys in). Hello? Bueller? The original Star Wars is rife with anti-Nixon sentiment.

I also now have an overwhelming urge to see a Star Wars film starring two female Asian leads who are madly in love with each other.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Obviously lesbian Asians can exist anywhere, even in outer space , and I'm totally fine with that and support their rights that live the life they want. That's all perfectly fine. I just doesn't fit all that well into a Star Wars movie.

That fuck... what's the difference between two women in love and say Han and Leia in love... well I mean other than homophobia

Also you should consider changing your name... there's no wisdom in what you are saying in this thread.

Last edited:

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That fuck... what's the difference between two women in love and say Han and Leia in love... well I mean other than homophobia

I think it's just a bit too early to have homosexual relationships in such mainstream films like Star Wars without rising suspicion of it being just a hip move or excessive political correctness or a jab at conservatives. These things take time, in 2 or 300 years we won't have these discussions anymore.

The day we stop praising or condemning these kind of things in movies as "progessive" is the day we realize they're just supposed to be normal. You know the war is won when we don't notice this stuff anymore; that doesn't mean lowering our guard or halting the discussion, but making the level of inclusiveness of a movie or product a big talking point every single time is a way to make something that's supposed to be the norm controversial.