• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously he doesn't need to kill everyone, but what exactly is Ben supposed to do?

Calmly ask his Uncle why he's there holding a saber over him and wait for Luke to explain he innocently snuck into his room to just to read his thoughts?
He wasn't holding the saber over him. Luke had it off to the side.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Obviously he doesn't need to kill everyone, but what exactly is Ben supposed to do?

Calmly ask his Uncle why he's there holding a saber over him and wait for Luke to explain he innocently snuck into his room to just to read his thoughts?
The only argument I was making is that Luke didn't try to kill Ben.

I never said what Luke did wasn't wrong or that what Ben did wasn't justified.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
He wasn't holding the saber over him. Luke had it off to the side.
Not saying I think Kylo Ren was right to react the way he did whatsoever, mind, but I feel like this difference isn't as major as people are making it to be. Someone standing over you with a drawn lightsaber in his hand, even if the saber isn't directly over you, would still feel really damn threatening, you know?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If tempted doesn't have to mean "thinking about joining the bad guys," then everything I have said about Rey has been valid and you're not taking issue with anything I've said. Seriously, go look back over my posts and insert "tempted" with "joining the bad guys" and you'll see!

As to the rest of that, well, that's great! I actually *loved* her screaming her head off fighting the guards. That was awesome. Who didn't love that? More of that please! If that was succumbing to dark side emotions, then hell, gimme more! Her shooting Kylo in the cave came off more as a defensive measure to me, and she should try to murder Snoke! He's trying to kill her! He's trying to kill her friends! All of these things are justifiable!

I mean you could argue that those emotions are a stepping stone to eventually getting into position to joining the baddies. Which is what happened with Anakin. He never once thought about joining the bad guys until EP3. Up until that point he just delved into dark emotions.

Even Luke never actually considered joining the bad guys. He was just super pissed at Vader and the Emperor. But he's still "tempted" all the same.

It's more of the door it opens.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying that she shouldn't even be tempted via dark thoughts and actions.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I don't see how they get around giving her a double-sided saber with that staff's center as its handle. It almost has to happen now that Rian showed her saber split in half and she retrieved the pieces.

Which means it's probably gonna be blue when she ignites it.
I was about to say the nitpickers will complain about how Rey would be able to make it but I realized......NO ONE can ever complain about Rey knowing how do to something in 9 now.

All you have to say is "The ancient Jedi texts!".

Maybe we will have one movie without dumb complaints about her skill level.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Not saying I think Kylo Ren was right to react the way he did whatsoever, mind, but I feel like this difference isn't as major as people are making it to be. Someone standing over you with a drawn lightsaber in his hand, even if the saber isn't directly over you, would still feel really damn threatening, you know?

Threatening, definitely. Not something that can really be used as a justification for Ben's actions, as you said.

I think that's kind of the point though. Ben was ready to go down that road anyway.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This reading would be more justifiable had Kylo not attempted to murder her friend and her father figure from the previous film. This is why the scene where she confides in Kylo doesn't really make sense either. Remember, I said *past a certain point* she's not allowed to state her feelings about Kylo clearly. My guess as to why this is so is because the film wants some tension about Rey joining Kylo.

The problem with these interpretations of Rey's actions -- that obviously she still hates him but will want to turn him because she's a good person -- is an interpretation that isn't deserved by the film or within the franchise when you have Force Ghost Anakin out there being all hey yo it's all good.
She wants to turn him because she falsely sees conflict in him thanks to Snoke and also thinks she sees him turning to their side, which she thinks is key to winning against First Order because she can't get Luke to join the fight, not just out of the pureness of her heart. And again, she starts off justifiably angry for what he did in TFA but in the course of the movie she talks to him and, for one, learns that he was kind of wronged as well and thinks that leaves some room for redemption if he turns and helps them. That starts to mellow her out to him but ultimately when she understands he's rotten to the core, she doesn't hesitate to try to fool/betray him.

I doubt she would have completely forgotten him but for the duration of the battle against the FO she could've used the help. Afterwards she seems like the kind of person who would've been adamant that he atone for his sins in a more concrete way.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I don't see how they get around giving her a double-sided saber with that staff's center as its handle. It almost has to happen now that Rian showed her saber split in half and she retrieved the pieces.

Make it yellow somehow or it's #NotMyReySaber

databank_lightsaberpike_01_169_c0e0248b.jpeg

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I kinda want her to fuse Luke's green saber on one end end the blue one on the other

But then again that's pretty fan fictiony and probably looks like shit in reality

Lizzy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you could argue that those emotions are a stepping stone to eventually getting into position to joining the baddies. Which is what happened with Anakin. He never once thought about joining the bad guys until EP3. Up until that point he just delved into dark emotions.

Even Luke never actually considered joining the bad guys. He was just super pissed at Vader and the Emperor. But he's still "tempted" all the same.

It's more of the door it opens.
See, here I think is why in part we're seeing LFL move the Force to something less binary. Anger, hate, fear, passion...those aren't inherently bad emotions. There's nothing inherently dark about them. It's perfectly justifiable for people to feel all of these things in various capacities. Rey *should* hate Kylo. Rey *should* hate Snoke. Just because you experience those emotions doesn't really make you more likely to go to the dark side. It's how you use those emotions that matter. Rey hasn't used any of those emotions as a means to obtain power or to go out of her way to hurt others.
Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you were saying that she shouldn't even be temped with her dark thoughts.
Yeah, when I've said "tempted" in the past, it was a short hand for "joining the bad guys." Rey's too moral to do that. Like, there's nothing in either film that tells us she'd even consider it.

Hmmm. I would prefer yellow, but as long as it's double-bladed I'm happy.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want her to fuse Luke's green saber on one end end the blue one on the other

But then again that's pretty fan fictiony and probably looks like shit in reality
Rey's double saber is forged from the shards of Narcil I mean Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber and Luke Skywalker's lightsaber

The kyber crystal is the Elder Wand of kyber crystals

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind if she fixes her Lightsaber but just has a new handle, it would make it more "hers" but still carry Luke in there since the crystal is the same.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I was about to say the nitpickers will complain about how Rey would be able to make it but I realized......NO ONE can ever complain about Rey knowing how do to something in 9 now.

I am hoping for a time jump in the next film.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Because she's the most morally good character in the franchise with the possible exception of Leia. Because she can't be tempted. Remember, humans are very social creatures. For someone to grow up by herself on a desert planet after being abandoned by her parents and having to repress that memory to help herself, and to turn out as good as she is? Man, that only happens if you're good to the core.

Most people would've sold BB-8 for the food rations. She didn't.

She longs for love too. A lot of people believe that those who were abandoned by their parents at a young age "turn out bad" but it's actually not always the case. Or ever. In fact, sometimes it's worse to grow up in a broken home than alone.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

People will then complain and call her a Mary Sue for reading the texts when Luke didn't.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Yeah can't see a fusion of blue and green. Would like Ray to use the crystal in Luke's green saber, that is if it still even exists. Maybe even yellow blades like Bastila Shan from KOTOR.

Either way, she needs to go with a double-bladed saber in XI.

Oct 27, 2017
There have to be a lot of lightsabers still floating around the galaxy. Or maybe palpatine has them all stored somewhere. Probably not something they would put in the movies, but it would make for a cool short story

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, here I think is why in part we're seeing LFL move the ForceRey hasn't used any of those emotions as a means to obtain power or to go out of her way to hurt others.

Luke tried to strike the Emperor down to save his friends just like Rey used her negative emotions in the thrown room. You can have negative emotions, it's what you do with them that opens you up to the Dark Side. That's why Yoda has that thing about how a Jedi must use their weapons only in self defense. Why Jedi focused their meditation to limit negative emotions, because there's a risk that you start letting them fuel your actions and the Dark Side is like a drug that takes control of you.

The implication is that force sensitives are more vulnerable to corruption because of how plugged in to the energies of the force.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
See, here I think is why in part we're seeing LFL move the Force to something less binary. Anger, hate, fear, passion...those aren't inherently bad emotions. There's nothing inherently dark about them. It's perfectly justifiable for people to feel all of these things in various capacities. Rey *should* hate Kylo. Rey *should* hate Snoke. Just because you experience those emotions doesn't really make you more likely to go to the dark side. It's how you use those emotions that matter. Rey hasn't used any of those emotions as a means to obtain power or to go out of her way to hurt others.

Yeah, when I've said "tempted" in the past, it was a short hand for "joining the bad guys." Rey's too moral to do that. Like, there's nothing in either film that tells us she'd even consider it.

Hmmm. I would prefer yellow, but as long as it's double-bladed I'm happy.

I like all of this. And Ben's the other side, he clearly still feels the "pull of the light" as he couldn't push the fire button and kill his mum, but he's definitely the bad guy. They're both different from the dogmatic 'absolutes' of how both Sith and Jedi thought they understood the force.

I like it.

Edit: Also, I hope Rey gets a double-blade staff-sabre. She's good with that staff, and it would be badass.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
There have to be a lot of lightsabers still floating around the galaxy. Or maybe palpatine has them all stored somewhere. Probably not something they would put in the movies, but it would make for a cool short story
Rey can't fix hers in time but Leia gives her one that she built before she dies. Its blade is yellow just because.

I'm all for Leia being a secret Jedi and having a lightsaber.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, we are finally doing it. After almost 2,5 OTs, there's some pretty interesting discourse about TLJ!

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if Rey recovers Jyn Erso's crystal for her new lightsaber?

Also the origin of those golden dice has to be explained in Solo: A Star Wars Story

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
If Mark Hamill doesn't like Luke in TLJ then he's the most dedicated professional you've ever seen, because his performance to bring Luke to life in the film is wonderful.

He's fantastic in this film.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ready for the ultimate fan fic idea?

She carries one blue, one green, on both sides. She uses them in battle (one per hand), then for the final scene in the film, she.. GASP

CLIPS THEM TOGETHER INTO A DOUBLE BLADED SABER

EP9: Revenge of the Fan Fic

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
What was Padme's hangup about joining Anakin in the first place?

She used to be a monarch herself. And it's not like she was a big fan of the Republic or the Jedi.

She is a monarch of her planet, a monarchy which is elected. On a galactic level, She believes in the Republic whilst Anakin is proposing a real monarchy with him as emperor and dictator.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
If Mark Hamill doesn't like Luke in TLJ then he's the most dedicated professional you've ever seen, because his performance to bring Luke to life in the film is wonderful.

He's fantastic in this film.
I can imagine that he loves playing Luke. A character like Luke is one in a million in movie character history. He's like James Bond or James Kirk, except I doubt he will be replaced.

Hopefully he has more to do than stand and talk in IX.