• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
TLJ certainly pushes the envelope in that regard, not that the series hasn't been science fantasy for the whole ride.

There's smoke coming out of the downed starships in the prequels too and especially in Revenge of the Sith.

And let's not forget that big old mushroom cloud explosion after the Executor hits the Death Star in ROTJ.

None of this matters to the story.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Confession: I only watch Star Wars for these threads. I don't even know what a Chewbacca is.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if this whole ignore list feature is a mistake or if it should have a very small cap. It's like what's his name that bragged about instantly ignore listing anyone who posted 'conspiracies' to do with TLJ.

I mean...

I guess Star Wars is some serious shit, as they say.

My Memory is foggy how long was Holdo Erving up for hyper space when this happened?

Don't exactly know how much time, but it's at least a couple of minutes. We cut to Rey and Kylo fighting over the lightsaber (Snoke is already dead) and Phasma preparing Rose and Finn for execution.

Then again to Holdo lining the ship up. Then a quick succession of shots from all three plot lines until Phasma says "execute" and boom.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Was the Rogue One thread nuts? It's weird but I don't have any hot takes memories from that one like I do for TFA.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue One had it's....problems, but it also had it's moments. I would say that the storyline is muddled, but the spectacle is too grand for it to be a bad movie.

Honestly, a few minor tweaks could seriously have propelled Jyn Erso into one of the best SW protagonists.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if people in 1983/1984 asked why all battles didn't begin and end with flying a tiny ship into the bridge of the first Star Destroyer they saw.

Which would be a good use for the A-Wing, one of the lamest starfighters in all of star wars

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's something that my old man actually mentioned to me when he showed me ROTJ. Granted they at least had the shields go down before the A-Wing hit, but... a super star destroyer of all things and they never thought to design a secondary bridge?

I know, they needed to write themselves out of the corner that they were in, but still!

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The primary source of greivance seemed to be the concept of "fanservice" and whether the cool thing that happened in that movie (Vader killing people) was bad or fucking awful because it was fun and people liked it.
Oh yeah, I do remember that.

Lots of, "this is bad because it's fan service" and then "but why doe" and then a whole lotta nothing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I remember the Rogue One thread largely settling that the first half was disjointed as hell and rough, and then pretty quickly becoming a fight over whether the last half hour was better or worse than Jedi's last half hour.

The primary source of greivance seemed to be the concept of "fanservice" and whether the cool thing that happened in that movie (Vader killing people) was bad or fucking awful because it was fun and people liked it.

edit: People quickly came to a consensus that the characterization was weak, and that the VFX didn't quite work, although people disagreed on whether it looked like a PS4 game (fucking what) or whether it just wasnt all the way there, with some straight up not being aware that Cushing was actually dead, so they were completely fooled.
Basically yeah.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's something that my old man actually mentioned to me when he showed me ROTJ.

Yeah. And Ackbar all proud of himself for that A-Wing taking down the Executor's bridge vía kamikaze.

That would've gone down pretty well with today's Star Wars fans, if Leia would've had a huge grin on her face after Holdo's maenuver.

Edit: And by the way, would taking out the bridge of any Star Destroyer result in it going down like that? Sure, I guess we've all concluded that the hit resulted in a catastrophic systems failure and whatnot, but then that means the Rebel's could just focus on those big tall and prominent bridges in order to take a Star Destroyer down.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I remember the Rogue One thread largely settling that the first half was disjointed as hell and rough, and then pretty quickly becoming a fight over whether the last half hour was better or worse than Jedi's last half hour.

edit: People quickly came to a consensus that the characterization was weak, and that the VFX didn't quite work, although people disagreed on whether it looked like a PS4 game (fucking what) or whether it just wasnt all the way there, with some straight up not being aware that Cushing was actually dead, so they were completely fooled.

I think that LucasFilm's actor recreation stuff hasn't escaped the uncanny valley just yet. I am curious to see if they use it again in the future.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

Revenge of the Sith was better than Rogue One.
That's two, you get one more and then you get these babies.
Z9GpFL9.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel cheated that we didn't get that Constable Zuvio scene, not even in the deleted scenes.
*holds Constable Zuvio doll*
J0T5kVl.gif

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. And Ackbar all proud of himself for that A-Wing taking down the Executor's bridge vía kamikaze.

That would've gone down pretty well with today's Star Wars fans, if Leia would've had a huge grin on her face after Holdo's maenuver.

Edit: And by the way, would taking out the bridge of any Star Destroyer result in it going down like that? Sure, I guess we've all concluded that the hit resulted in a catastrophic systems failure and whatnot, but then that means the Rebel's could just focus on those big tall and prominent bridges in order to take a Star Destroyer down.

I think the answer is that the writers needed to get out of the corner they had written themselves into with the rebels being hopelessly out gunned.

All that ship and they couldn't even spare room for a secondary bridge in case the first one went poof. :p

Last edited:

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I watched ROTS before watching Rogue One for the first time and the leap in quality from ROTS was insane. Can't see how anyone could seriously think ROTS is a better quality movie.

Revenge of the Sith has always had a better reception than the other prequels, but I think that a lot of that has to do with it offering some pay off to the entire venture.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'm trying to imagine the guys in the theater fighting back sniffles at Ackbar's kamikaze when Holdo is completely replaced by a foamhead fishman.

It sounds like a screening of Transformers: The Movie to me.

Also, related: Did you know someone apparently yells "So long, dickheads" in that shot of Ackbar slumping into his seat?

Same thing happened on Blade Runner. It's the mouths. Nobody can get the mouths right. They don't move correctly. The lips just sorta slide around.

Oh my god Bobby, how is this just only news?! Is that clip from ROTJ real?