• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell would she be a Kenobi... What Kenobi? Rey was born after Endor for pity sakes.

Some people were jerking off hard at the idea of her being the grandkid of Obi and Duchess Satine's secret relationship. Like, a couple folk even argued that it was the most likely scenario.

An interesting theory for something pulled right out of the ass, but bewildering that some were so confident in it.

Last edited:

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Well I finally saw the movie, I'm sure its been discussed to death but still want to give my thoughts.

Might as well make this simple at least..

What I liked
- Kylo killing snoke and then teaming up with Ray to take out Snokes elite guards, such a great scene.

- Luke fucked up and Kylo Ren rising: Luke was never infallible in the original trilogy, he made mistakes and I can totally see him failing Ben Solo after seeing the true darkness within him and its even more compounded when you think about how Kylo kills Snoke, you think at the time that Ray was right and that hes conflicted and hes turning to the side of good but no, he takes out Snoke to take over and wants Ray to join him, it sets up that the conflict he felt all of this time wasn't about turning good it was about taking over and freeing himself of his enemies including his own master. Hell him not firing on his mother at the beginning of the movie could also be seen as being conflicted not over killing his mother but if taking out the leader of the resistance now will get him what he wants, I'd argue his entire Conflict over light and dark was gone after he killed Han in the last movie, now he wants to serve only himself and the conflict Snoke feels in him is more about how and when he should act, Snoke sees it as him being conflicted over the light and dark but thats not entirely the case I don't think. I could be just over thinking it though.

- Poe gets nerfed: Poe starts off this movie being an absolute badass which he kinda already was in the first movie so I liked how in his rush to take out the giant starship (I can't remember the name now) even when Leia tells him to retreat screws them over badly, he gets demoted and still ends up being an ass trying to circumvent the vice admiral who takes over and thinks he knows everything but they have a plan but they don't tell him that plan largely because hes spending so much of his time making an ass out of himself and rejecting everything they are trying to do because its not HIS way. This was needed to grow his character, I always thought the first movie makes him out to be this unstoppable badass and I was afraid this movie was going to do the same but instead the movie shows how hot headed he is and that gets a lot of people killed. It also shows growth towards the end when he starts using his head more and stops Fin from making the same mistakes he did (and at least tries to before that when Fin decides to try and sacrifice himself to take out the Battering Ram Cannon thing.

- Ray's growth as a character and her parents: Ray really becomes a three dimensional character here, we see her weakness of wanting to know her origins lead her towards the dark side, she foolishly believes the conflict within Kylo Ren will turn him to the side of good, we see her frustration with Luke not wanting to help her and the resistance and we don't see things really go her way throughout most of the story. Hell the revelation that shes just a nobody, no secret child of someone of much better importance shows how weak she truly is, you can somewhat see her wanting to accept Kylo's offer to join with him because the one thing she has always wanted was to be loved to matter to someone and Kylo offers to fill that void in her heart but she rejects it because that is the right thing to do, she won't sink into the darkness and reject all that she has grown to care for just to make herself happy, no she wants to carve her own path and find a real purpose with her life and her powers which she clearly finds in the Resistance.

- Luke Vs. Kyo Ren: Damn this was badass, you wonder first how all that giant blaster fire didn't kill Luke and he just toys with Kylo showing the First Order just how foolish their new 'supreme leader' actually is. The reveal that it was all just an astral projection was great, and make Luke seem so badass, he lets Kylo think that hes there just to fight him when in fact the entire thing is a ploy to help Leia and the others escape its only when he drops his guard and seems to be pulling an Obi-wan that it gets revealed. I wasn't a fan of Luke dying because of it but I do get it at the very least and that was such a badass way for him to go out and without trying to do some generic 'heroic sacrifice' or something. You can see the wheels turning in Huxley's head on how hes going to try and knock Kylo off at some point after that, Kylo alone screwed them over because he was stupid enough to fall right into Lukes hands and the entire army witnessed it.

- The Struggle between the Rebels and the First Order: This was a really interesting setup, right from the start we see that the Rebels are clearly outmatched in many ways but some great strategic ideas (Light Speed into a space ship, yep that did what I always thought it might do and it was BADASS!) really level the playing field, the Rebellion is nearly wiped out but because of Kylo and the First Orders mistakes they manage to get away, between them fucking up and seeing Poe and the Rebels fuck up this felt like a real conflict with both sides making choices that seem smart but backfire, its very human and understandable but at the same time making both sides that much more desperate. It was the first time in this entire series where I wasn't even sure which side would really have the upper hand at the end of the movie, you think its the First Order when they have them on the wrong for a majority of the movie but then they screw up several times and take some major losses resulting in them losing the chance of finishing off the Rebels for good. It was a great way to show the two sides in conflict without relying on stupid ass super weapons the whole time.

What I didn't like
- The Fin and Rose subplot: I didn't hate this but it just felt kinda pointless in a movie I thought was kinda long, the whole thing seemed to give Fin a love interest in Rose and also to give Fin a minor character arc and a fun fight between him and Phasma. Rose herself was alright, I did like how she saved Fin in the end and her backstory with the sister her sacrifices herself near the beginning of the movie but this was clearly the weakest part of the movie and when the whole thing turns out to not even work out as they intended it seemed like a worthless venture and could have done something else for the main events to all take place.

- Poe and Ray: So they finally meet and I couldn't help just instantly think that these two are being setup to be an item and I really don't like that, I kinda like Ray alone at this point and hope they don't decide to make them a couple in the next movie. I also think they are both too hot headed to ever make it work.

- Very little of certain characters: Chewy could have had more to do, I wanted to see him interact with Luke more but theres one little short scene and thats it. Leia is also surprisingly not in this movie very much, also really surprised they didn't just kill her off when she gets blasted into space, what are they going to possibly do with her character in the next movie with Carrie Fisher having past? Phasma also once again felt wasted, its such a waste of a cool design and a great actor.

- A Bit of over the top force powers: Leia surviving the vacuum of space was kinda crazy, I didn't hate it but it made the force feel much more powerful then ever before, Luke doing what he did at least made sense (I mean it cost him his life after all) but in general I thought a thing like the force which was mostly downplayed in the original trilogy felt extremely crazy at times and from characters that shouldn't be able to do such crazy things. I guess this might be more mixed but yeah I thought it was a bit much at times.

- Snoke: Okay I actually liked the twist with Snoke being killed off so suddenly (when he said Kylo 'enemy' I realized what was about to happen) but yeah just goes out without any explanation or fanfare or anything, it would have been one thing if we at least knew where he came from and why he was so powerful to begin with but nothing even remotely close to that, only purpose he really serves here is to show just how far Kylo has fallen into the darkness. Still was a great twist but even if they said he was Darth Plaugous or something I would've been fine with it.

- Poe's trolling Huxley at the beginning: Scene itself was funny but it felt very modern and not something that would hold up over time. Not a big thing but it did stick with me in my mind.

Overall: I loved the movie, really liked that they did try to do something new with it. After I and many others were disappointed with The Force Awakenings for playing things way to safe (was still a good movie) I'm really glad that they really did take some risks and tried to do something different, I don't think everything worked out perfectly well but this movie was outstanding and I don't really get why anyone hates it.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

*boom*?

I'm hardly the only one with this opinion. If you have counter points, share them?

Let's even compare the opening crawls of the three eras, can you honestly say that TFA doesn't do a worse job?

Episode IV
A NEW HOPE

It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire

During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon
, the DEATH
STAR, an armored space
station with enough power
to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's
sinister agents
, Princess
Leia races home aboard her
starship, custodian of the
stolen plans
that can save her
people and restore
freedom to the galaxy....

Episode I
THE PHANTOM MENACE

Turmoil has engulfed the
Galactic Republic
. The taxation
of trade routes to outlying star
systems is in dispute

Hoping to resolve the matter
with a blockade of deadly
battleships, the greedy Trade
Federation has stopped all
shipping to the small planet
of Naboo

While the Congress of the
Republic endlessly debates
this alarming chain of events,
the Supreme Chancellor has
secretly dispatched two Jedi
Knights
, the guardians of
peace and justice in the
galaxy, to settle the conflict....

Episode VII
THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
(Wait, what's going on? What was he doing? What is the state of the galaxy after RoTJ?)

In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen from
the ashes of the Empire
(Slow down! So the first order has rising from the ashes, but what about the republic then? Is it a thing like it was in the old EU?)
and will not rest until
Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.
(Ok, but you're telling the audience things in isolation. It's like you're feeding them this information backwards)

With the support of the
REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa
(Wait! STOP! With 'The Republic'? How much to they control? How big are they? How big is this first order compared to the Republic?)
leads a brave RESISTANCE.
(A resistance against what? The first order? How big is this resistance? Why is the Republic supporting a Resistance? In this a cold war? Who has power over the other? These are things that the other opening crawls didn't leave us to guess about!)
She is desperate to find her
brother Luke and gain his
help in restoring peace
and justice to the galaxy.
(Ok maybe you really are just feeding information backwards and you'll get to properly explaining the dynamics at the bottom)

Leia has sent her most daring
pilot on a secret mission
to Jakku, where an old ally
has discovered a clue to
Luke's whereabouts....
(...)

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is anybody ever going to address the fact that Poe's "mistake" (forcing the assault and taking down the Destroyer) actually saves the Resistance as that ship had the firepower to destroy the fleet after the first hyperspace jump?

It's hard to pick up, but once you do it's kind of mindblowing.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He probably didn't like it when I called him Goblin King in response to him calling me Slinger (whatever that meant).

He was talking to Gunslinger. And no, your last post just hit a level of out-there insanity that it just can't be taken with a straight face anymore.

Is anybody ever going to address the fact that Poe's "mistake" (forcing the assault and taking down the Destroyer) actually saves the Resistance as that ship had the firepower to destroy the fleet after the first hyperspace jump?

Hindsight 20/20? He still cost them a large number of troops. And who's to say that, if he hadn't bothered with the assault, the tracking would have been ready? For all we know, if they ran immediately, they wouldn't have had the line attached, or whatever Hux said to Snoke in that moment.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was talking to Gunslinger. And no, your last post just hit a level of out-there insanity that it just can't be taken with a straight face anymore.

Funny considering I backed up my statement with a fairly good example. Did he or you really believe that I was talking about the PT being better in any other respect than answering questions to do with the world? The opening crawl in TFA is noticeably worse at actually informing the audience, and I'm far from the only one to comment on how inattentive the ST has been (wither intentional like some examples within TLJ) or not.

I've brought this up a few time but it gets ignored. Scrambling the fighters (and the opening scene in general) made little sense considering that the Dreadnaught was already in weapons range of the fleet with its big gun. I guess it was a conceit of the film that the Dreadnaught chose to fire its first shot at the empty base for no reason other than to not blow a hole in the Durras in the opening of the movie, but Poe DID save the fleet.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've brought this up a few time but it gets ignored. Scrambling the fighters (and the opening scene in general) made little sense considering that the Dreadnaught was already in weapons range of the fleet. I guess it was a conceit of the film that it chose to fire its first shot at the base for no reason other than to not blow a hole in the Durras in the opening of the movie, but Poe DID save the fleet.

It's the kind of plot hole that doesn't really diminish the quality of the movie (it's easy to ignore) but it COMPLETELY invalidates Poe's arc if you want to nitpick. If he listened to Leia the Resistance would have died moments after.

woah.gif

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's the kind of plot hole that doesn't really diminish the quality of the movie (it's easy to ignore) but it COMPLETELY invalidates Poe's arc if you want to nitpick. If he listened to Leia the Resistance would have died moments after.

It's not a plot hole. Same as the base. You're watching the film with all the details filled in, the characters, inside of the story, DO NOT HAVE these details. The FO didn't KNOW that the base was empty, there was no reason to fire on the ship before obliterating the Resistance's one safe haven.

And again, him engaging the destroyer, is what bought the FO time to get the Hyperspace Tracking going on the Resistance's ship. They didn't have that set up until the Dreadnought went down, otherwise Hux would have let them escape to begin with.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

woah.gif

Yeah. It's one of those things that gets magnified because there are other issues. On its own it's whatever and not a big deal... but if you stop to thing about it it............. Like, what was the fleet even doing scrambling fighters in the first place? The fact that the film doesn't address any of these issues just cheapens the internal consistency as well as Poe's entire arc.

Not a good foot to start on in the opening minutes!

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(watch them go back and forth completely ignoring every counterpoint)

Hm

It's not a plot hole. Same as the base. You're watching the film with all the details filled in, the characters, inside of the story, DO NOT HAVE these details. The FO didn't KNOW that the base was empty, there was no reason to fire on the ship before obliterating the Resistance's one safe haven.

And again, him engaging the destroyer, is what bought the FO time to get the Hyperspace Tracking going on the Resistance's ship. They didn't have that set up until the Dreadnought went down, otherwise Hux would have let them escape to begin with.

Why would the Dreadnought shoot the base as oppose to targeting the vastly more valuable capital ships that likely had key personnel on board and were moments from getting away? It would make more sense to disable those (their engines at least) with their big fleet killer gun, take out the base, and hit any stragglers that came up after the fact.

Again, the base isn't going anywhere and anyone fleeing from the base then opens themselves up to the Dreadgnaut.

What's more valuable, a base that is as good as dead and abandoned? Or the Durras?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hm

Why would the Dreadnought shoot the base as oppose to targeting the vastly more valuable capital ships that likely had key personnel on board and were moments from getting away? It would make more sense to disable those (their engines at least) with their big fleet killer gun, take out the base, and hit any stragglers that came up after the fact.

why didnt they shot the pod where c3po and r2d2 were?

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Why would any military strategist attack a base instead of sending his troops after fleeing troops? That's how warfare works. Take out the base if you have the chance.

Checkmate, Atheists!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
1.) Both were valuable targets. However, stopping any further resources, personnel or ships from evacuating makes plenty of sense. Plus, easy to hit stationary target vs moving target? Seems like a very easy call to make in terms of target prioritization.

2.) They knew the cap ship and escorts couldn't really get away anyway.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

one lone escape pod getting away is a little silly, but it's not quite as big of an issue as the Dreadnaught not taking out the actual flagships of the resistance that had a 99% chance of having their upper leadership on board.

Why would any military strategist attack a base instead of sending his troops after fleeing troops? That's how warfare works. Take out the base if you have the chance.

Think of this in terms of naval combat and they're taking a port. Why would you let the enemies battleships get away as they are the first and most heavily armed ships to flee from the port? The Port isn't going anywhere and you KNOW that the battleships leaving are the most dangerous and valuable things at the port itself. You can pick off a good portion of their ships, leaving them unable to even do hit and run missions, and still blockade the port.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

Funny considering I backed up my statement with a fairly good example. Did he or you really believe that I was talking about the PT being better in any other respect than answering questions to do with the world? The opening crawl in TFA is noticeably worse at actually informing the audience, and I'm far from the only one to comment on how inattentive the ST has been (wither intentional like some examples within TLJ) or not.

I've brought this up a few time but it gets ignored. Scrambling the fighters (and the opening scene in general) made little sense considering that the Dreadnaught was already in weapons range of the fleet with its big gun. I guess it was a conceit of the film that the Dreadnaught chose to fire its first shot at the empty base for no reason other than to not blow a hole in the Durras in the opening of the movie, but Poe DID save the fleet.

Yeah. It's one of those things that gets magnified because there are other issues. On its own it's whatever and not a big deal... but if you stop to thing about it it............. Like, what was the fleet even doing scrambling fighters in the first place? The fact that the film doesn't address any of these issues just cheapens the internal consistency as well as Poe's entire arc.

I brought it up when talking about the 'Poe arc', but it gets ignored here, like most of legitimate criticism, the echo chamber is strong in this one.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention that, uhh, the First Order kind of knew they had Hyperspace Tracking.

So which is it, did Poe buy them the time they needed to establish hyperspace tracking or didn't he? Because it seems like now you're saying that they knew 100% they had the enemy ships with hyperspace tracking, yet Finn dallying and destroying the Dread-naught was the entire reason that they managed to get the Hyperspace tracking working. If it was Finns fault, then the Dreadnaught had every reason to fire on the capital ships first. You've got to pick one and neither one helps your argument.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
also why do you people assume the dreadnaught would be able to destroy the raddus???

if the supremacy couldnt, why would the dreadnaught be able to??

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Think of this in terms of naval combat and they're taking a port. Why would you let the enemies battleships get away as they are the first and most heavily armed ships to flee from the port? The Port isn't going anywhere and you KNOW that the battleships leaving are the most dangerous and valuable things at the port itself. You can pick off a good portion of their ships, leaving them unable to even do hit and run missions, and still blockade the port.

I'm really questioning your knowledge of military combat and strategies. Giving chase to ships is always less important than making sure their supply route and home port is taken out, or at the very least taken over. That's a rule in military combat as old as humanity.

And again, the FO knew they had Hyperspace Tracking, there was no reason to break that rule and rush into an attack on the ship.

I brought it up when talking about the 'Poe arc', but it gets ignored here, like most of legitimate criticism, the echo chamber is strong in this one.

Irony. Lol

So which is it, did Poe buy them the time they needed to establish hyperspace tracking or didn't he? Because it seems like now you're saying that they knew 100% they had the enemy ships with hyperspace tracking, yet Finn dallying and destroying the Dread-naught was the entire reason that they managed to get the Hyperspace tracking working. If it was Finns fault, then the Dreadnaught had every reason to fire on the capital ships first. You've got to pick one and neither one helps your argument.

Neither is exclusive. Jesus.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
What If I told you Poe's arc isn't based solely on the actions he took against the dreadnought, but also the reckless actions he took later on. That his flyboy recklessness is both heroic and fatal. That he can be both a hero who ignores directions and destroys a weapon and saves the fleet directly (and indirectly), but also a poor leader who ignores directions and dooms the fleet.

And that not only does it NOT invalidate the arc, but only helps underline the complicated nature of it.

woah.gif

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I also love how people completely forget that, after their base was taken out, the Resistance had *nowhere* left to go. Crait was a last ditch effort at evacuating to a base that had been ditched by the Rebellion during the war against the Empire. No one, not even Leia, knew they were going there until the Hyperspace jump.

Like Bobby said, there's some hardcore videogame logic going on here with some people's line of thinking.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really questioning your knowledge of military combat and strategies. Giving chase to ships is always less important than making sure their supply route and home port is taken out, or at the very least taken over. That's a rule in military combat as old as humanity.

Who said anything about chasing? The Dreadnaught was in range of both the fleeing capital ships and the base. That's the whole reason that there is the build up of tension as the Dreadnaught is about to fire on the fleet.

Neither is exclusive. Jesus.

Actually it is because

You outright said that Poe delaying the Resistance Fleet is why the FO was able to establish Hyperspace tracking. Am I wrong?

Ergo if he had not disobeyed orders then the fleet would have gotten away Scott free.

So from the FO's perspective they had to assume that the Resistance was going to get away before they could achieve Hyperspace Tracking. They couldn't anticipate Poe delaying everything.

This would have resulted in even more pressure to use the first shot of their fleet killer on the resistance flagship. The base that was as good as dead either way. Imagine what a win disabling engines on the Durras would have been?

Last edited:

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
At least now I'm convinced that if AI ever becomes a thing, wars are guaranteed. This dry, isolated "analytical" thinking is dreadful. When did nerds stop thinking like humans?

Who said anything about chasing? The Dreadnaught was in range of both with its big gun. That's the whole reason there is the build up as the Dreadnaught is about to fire on the fleet.

Actually it is because

You outright said that Poe delaying the Resistance Fleet is why the FO was able to establish Hyperspace tracking.

Ergo if he had not disobeyed orders then the fleet would have gotten away before the FO could have established Hyperspace tracking.

Meaning that from the FO's perspective, they had to assume that the Resistance was going to get away on a time table that didn't involve a rogue X-Wing pilot delaying the jump to Hyperspeed and that it was far from a sure thing that they would be able to establish Hyperspace tracking before the Resistance got away.

Necessitating attacking the fleet over a base that was as good as dead.

I spoke in maybes, stop trying to twist it because you can't deal with your opinion on the events is completely unnaturally unrefined and stiff.

If you want to hate the movie, fine. Go do it. Go build an altar of hate for it. But stop fucking wasting other people's time with your dishonest rethoric. It's tiring.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
What is this "echo chamber" shit, btw.

Weak.
Quoting the same three posters, who keep posting the same elements of dissent in circles and circles, ignoring past debate they've been intimately involved in for THREE entire topics and calling the rest an echo chamber...I can hear the irony echoing.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Quoting the same three posters, who keep posting the same elements of dissent in circles and circles, ignoring past debate they've been intimately involved in for THREE entire topics and calling the rest an echo chamber...I can hear the irony echoing.

It's a thing of beauty, isn't it? The amount of tone deafness that's going on here is crazy.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least now I'm convinced that if AI ever becomes a thing, wars are guaranteed. This dry, isolated "analytical" thinking is dreadful. When did nerds stop thinking like humans?

I spoke in maybes, stop trying to twist it because you can't deal with your opinion on the events is completely unnaturally unrefined and stiff.

If you want to hate the movie, fine. Go do it. Go build an altar of hate for it. But stop fucking wasting other people's time with your dishonest rethoric. It's tiring.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm being logical with what you've told me, I'm not twisting your words.

I think you want to act as though because these discussions have been had before that the side you agree with is right. Maybe in a few of these go around there haven't been reasonable counter arguments? I mean I've shifted my position a few times, but just because you believe yourself to be right doesn't mean that you are.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Actually reading in the visual dictionary, the lower deck cannons from the dreadnought that were used for planetary bombardment were also used against capital ships. So once Poe took out the cannons the resistance fleet should have been safe from the dreadnought. Also the hyperspace tracking is done from Supremacy, so if Poe would have listened to Leia's order the Resistance's remaining fleet could have safely jumped into hyperspace and get away before Supremacy arrived..

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm being logical with what you've told me, I'm not twisting your words.

Y'know what else is logical?

*click* :x

Actually reading in the visual dictionary, the lower deck cannons from the dreadnought that were used for planetary bombardment were also used against capital ships. So once Poe took out the cannons the resistance fleet should have been safe from the dreadnought. Also the hyperspace tracking is done from Supremacy, so if Poe would have listened to Leia's order the Resistance's remaining fleet could have safely jumped into hyperspace and get away before Supremacy arrived..

To be fair, Poe only took out the turrets, not the "death star lasers", those only went with the Dreadnought being destroyed.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know what else is logical?

*click* :x

Shrug.

Leaves me with more reasonable people to talk with.

You didn't say these things as a maybe, you said this as an absolute statement. I took you at your word:

And again, him engaging the destroyer, is what bought the FO time to get the Hyperspace Tracking going on the Resistance's ship. They didn't have that set up until the Dreadnought went down, otherwise Hux would have let them escape to begin with

Last edited:

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
*boom*?

I'm hardly the only one with this opinion. If you have counter points, share them?

Let's even compare the opening crawls of the three eras, can you honestly say that TFA doesn't do a worse job?

Dude, I'm one of the guys who has complained about TFA lack of background about the politics of the Galaxy, but your edits in the opening crawl are ridiculous. You could nitpic the rest of the opening crawls in other movies as well.

The difference is that TFA already has six movies as background and while it might indeed have been confusing about what Republic was in power or what planet got destroyed in TFA, most of the crawl itself if good enough for the majority of people watching the movies. Only some fans inject their previous knowledge Star Wars lore and confuse themselves with details that aren't necessary.

There's no need to explain in the opening crawl how much does the Republic control. It's already explained there that there is an organization called the First Order who opposes the Resistance and Republic (which is confusing in the movie, but not a problem of the crawl itself).

Neither the original Star Wars' crawl or Episode I's give much more information or background. There's no explanation as to who the Trade Federation is in the opening crawl of TPM. Is it a member of the Galactic Republic? An enemy? It's never actually explained in the movie as such, and only after years did we understand that companies and cartels had representation in the Senate as if they were planets.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, I'm one of the guys who has complained about TFA lack of background about the politics of the Galaxy, but your edits in the opening crawl are ridiculous. You could nitpic the rest of the opening crawls in other movies as well.

The difference is that TFA already has six movies as background and while it might indeed have been confusing about what Republic was in power or what planet got destroyed in TFA, most of the crawl itself if good enough for the majority of people watching the movies. Only some fans inject their previous knowledge Star Wars lore and confuse themselves with details that aren't necessary.

There's no need to explain in the opening crawl how much does the Republic control. It's already explained there that there is an organization called the First Order who opposes the Resistance and Republic (which is confusing in the movie, but not a problem of the crawl itself).

Neither the original Star Wars' crawl or Episode I's give much more information or background. There's no explanation as to who the Trade Federation is in the opening crawl of TPM. Is it a member of the Galactic Republic? An enemy? It's never actually explained in the movie as such, and only after years did we understand that companies and cartels had representation in the Senate as if they were planets.

I'm exaggerating for effect, but it's there it elucidate the point. The thing is all the other films did explain how much X controlled, at least in relative terms. They clearly communicated the EVIL GALACTIC EMPIRE versus the rebels (that has just scored their first victory) or that the Republic is the only show in town, but there is this trade dispute going on and the Trade Federation are the big trade people with a monopoly who are blockading one small planet.

That's different than there is THE FIRST ORDER and THE REPUBLIC, but we aren't going to contrast them against one another.

I don't think that it was only nerds who got confused. There are a lot of build up of questions that are just naturally going to occur in going from OT -> ST.

You had nothing to compare against when the OT started jumping back further and starting again in the PT. In each case there is nothing to compare the universe against.

Last edited:

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017

Please read again, because there's at least 1 error there, Poe shot at the main deck guns, while the lower guns were used in the bombardment. Also: the 2 lower-deck giant guns were about to fire on the Resistance fleet. Also, why was Poe attacking the main deck guns in the first place, if the bombing run wasn't an authorized mission?

This movie is such a mess.

It's bonkers spirit with something the old EU often didn't have; good storytelling.

Love King Richard btw.

You're probably right, though the old EU had, what 30 years for the Crystal Stars and Triclopses to accumulate. Give the new EU some time ;)

King Richard's the best ;)

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Please read again, because there's at least 1 error there, Poe shot at the main deck guns, while the lower guns were used in the bombardment. Also: the 2 lower-deck giant guns were about to fire on the Resistance fleet. Also, why was Poe attacking the main deck guns in the first place, if the bombing run wasn't an authorized mission?

This movie is such a mess.

Yes, I was already corrected about that, there is a follow up discussion. Poe was attacking the main deck guns to allow the bombardiers to attack it. But it was not needed anymore since the resistance evacuated and he should have listened to Leia.