• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad my pre-release wish that Luke is so powerful that he doesn't even need to use a lightsaber or keep one around anymore came true.

Kinda.

From a certain point of view.
he just had the image of one

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
So I finally saw this movie and I'm overall positive on it, but that Yoda scene almost gave me an aneurysm

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
If you think that Trevorrow was fired because he COULDN'T think of a way to insert Leia's death then I don't know what I can tell you
Could you muster a response if I said he couldn't rewrite it adequately? I think it goes without saying that he did rewrite it and it sucked. Then they brought on Jack Thorne and it still sucked. Trevorrow shortly left, or was fired. It doesn't matter. He couldn't put the pieces together.

MollyMillions

Nov 19, 2017
Im sorry, I think its a slap in the face to end a movie on a cliff hanger, and then turn it into slapstick comedy situation with Luke throwing the saber over the shoulder, its a coward move by Rian and shows a real lack of respect for your audience. The end of TFA had me in tears and he really ruined it.

It was the most un-Luke like thing he has ever done, it was jarring, and really set the tone for the back handedness which Rian handled the movie with.

I didn't appreciate being made to feel that my passion for star wars means nothing over the course of 2.5 hours. The theme of let the past die being hammered into every scene was something that bothered me to no end. The disrespect was something I was not prepared for.

Wow. You know that ESB ends on a cliff-hanger right? I was in tears at the end of TFA too, Rey's pleading look to Luke is so moving, and the gravity and weight of his expression back to her is beautiful. I thought him tossing the saber (after taking it from her reverently and considering it) was cheeky and subversive but not insulting?

As for your other complaints, I actually feel for you cause you clearly love Star Wars, and I can relate, I felt pretty damn insulted walking out of the theater after seeing AOTC. To me this film was clearly made with an abiding love of and passion for the stories and characters of the OT (only SW I personally care about) and it was respectful of the characters in that it took them seriously as real people with actual emotions and failings and insecurities. It is a shift in tone from the purely heroic swashbuckling of the OT for sure, but it's also the middle chapter in which the characters are challenged most.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I've read all of it, and every poorly-conceived argument you've aimed at TLJ applies to Dead Man's Chest, and then some, and that film is an actual financial failure.

That film made over $1 billion, which at the time was a more impressive feat. It was shot back-to-back with At World's End, which reduced filming costs. It's still above RO in the BO. It was also a movie that received a mixed critical reception (53% RT), but an overall positive audience reception (72%). The franchise went on, but with diminishing returns and diminishing critical reception. I honestly don't know what your point with DMC is?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to feel this way. That's what fandom is. And guess what? A lot of people agree with you. What's done is done though, its a monstrously successful film financially and critically, and the fanbase itself seems torn on it. That's not a terrible place to be after the prequels. I hope you'll still watch X and I hope you enjoy it.
I will watch the next movie, I thought there were some amazing scenes in TLJ too, some I will never forget. Some things bothered me a lot though.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
That film made over $1 billion, which at the time was a more impressive feat. It was shot back-to-back with At World's End, which reduced filming costs. It's still above RO in the BO. It was also a movie that received a mixed critical reception (53% RT), but an overall positive audience reception (72%). The franchise went on, but with diminishing returns and diminishing critical reception. I honestly don't know what your point with DMC is?

Sorry. I'm a fucking idiot. Meant Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
How does making more than the previous Star Wars film "indicate a troubling trend for the series"?
I know, right? And even if you take away RO and say TLJ did less than TFA, you still have a dataset with only two points. That's not a trend!

It will be years before we get a real picture of what the "trend" of Star Wars box office numbers look like. But in truth, some will be up, and some will be down. It still won't spell disaster for the franchise like some are suggesting. Look at the MCU. Numbers are all over the place. Yet it still has an incredibly healthy fanbase and movies are still being cranked out for the foreseeable future.

Everything is gonna be okay.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. You know that ESB ends on a cliff-hanger right? I was in tears at the end of TFA too, Rey's pleading look to Luke is so moving, and the gravity and weight of his expression back to her is beautiful. I thought him tossing the saber (after taking it from her reverently and considering it) was cheeky and subversive but not insulting?

As for your other complaints, I actually feel for you cause you clearly love Star Wars, and I can relate, I felt pretty damn insulted walking out of the theater after seeing AOTC. To me this film was clearly made with an abiding love of and passion for the stories and characters of the OT (only SW I personally care about) and it was respectful of the characters in that it took them seriously as real people with actual emotions and failings and insecurities. It is a shift in tone from the purely heroic swashbuckling of the OT for sure, but it's also the middle chapter in which the characters are challenged most.

I think he means 'to end a n a cliff hanger that implies something mid scene' and then 'to pick up on that very scene with slapstick that clowns the audience and way the scene was set up before'

That's different than ESB ending with a void in front of them, so to speak

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mos Eisley is just a smaller city in Tunesia or Morocco. Canto Bight is Monacco, both of them "feel like Earth", you're being dishonest.

I don't think your point is wrong, but... have you been to Tunisia or Morocco? They look nothing like Mos Eisley. Much like Canto Blight doesn't look much like Monaco (I've been to all the places referenced here, btw).

I think the point that Canto Blight is a lot more "earthlike" is fair, but also not particularly relevant.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Not to insinuate that it is near the same situation or movie but I think we can have a general idea of what Empire Strikes Back would be like if social media were around.

I can just see the "I can't believe Leia ditched Luke like that for Han, he's a nice guy," "the movie is too slow and most of it takes place on the Falcon," "Vader's reveal came out of nowhere, it's no good," "Luke did nothing in this entire movie," posts flying around left and right. :P

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I gotta be honest and say that I'm not entirely sure if the lightsaber toss over shoulder was supposed to be slapstick, but I never personally took it that way, and if it was, then it was the only complete failure of comedy in the entire movie. Out of the 3 times I've seen it, not a single person in the theater laughed one time at that part. In comparison to some jokes in the movie which are hit or miss depending on the audience on a given day.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
See my last post, you want weight in that scene? Have Luke drop it right in front of Rey, and walk away, the toss was so horribly misplaced and miscalculated.

It's emblematic of the major problem I had with the movie. Unnecessary, misplaced, poor comedy. I came away from the movie feeling that it was OK to good, as many things I enjoyed when it was holding an appropriate tone. All of the unfunny jokes brought it down significantly, and hold it back from being one of the best.

In theory, Luke discarding the lightsaber is a great idea. In execution, it failed, sacrificing what could have been a poweful moment for a cheap laugh, and not even earning the laugh from me.

Still better than the prequels.

MollyMillions

Nov 19, 2017
I think he means 'to end a n a cliff hanger that implies something mid scene' and then 'to pick up on that very scene with slapstick that clowns the audience and way the scene was set up before'

That's different than ESB ending with a void in front of them, so to speak
Ahhh, okay that makes more sense. Look, it threw me for a bit too when it happened, but looking back it's a clear signal to the audience: don't assume you know where this story is going or how characters will feel about it. I don't think him tossing it is "clowning the audience" or parodying the serious scene that came before it. It's just a surprising conclusion.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry, I think its a slap in the face to end a movie on a cliff hanger, and then turn it into slapstick comedy situation with Luke throwing the saber over the shoulder, its a coward move by Rian and shows a real lack of respect for your audience. The end of TFA had me in tears and he really ruined it.

It was the most un-Luke like thing he has ever done, it was jarring, and really set the tone for the back handedness which Rian handled the movie with.

I didn't appreciate being made to feel that my passion for star wars means nothing over the course of 2.5 hours. The theme of let the past die being hammered into every scene was something that bothered me to no end. The disrespect was something I was not prepared for.
>its a slap in the face
>its a coward move by Rian and shows a real lack of respect for your audience
>back handedness which Rian handled the movie with
>I didn't appreciate being made to feel that my passion for star wars means nothing over the course of 2.5 hours.
>The disrespect was something I was not prepared for.

Star Wars fans are wild, man.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
>its a slap in the face
>its a coward move by Rian and shows a real lack of respect for your audience
>back handedness which Rian handled the movie with
>I didn't appreciate being made to feel that my passion for star wars means nothing over the course of 2.5 hours.
>The disrespect was something I was not prepared for.

Star Wars fans are wild, man.
honestly I completely disagree but at least he made an argument about it

you have to remember that at least one person in this thread is convinced that the "salt" line is a direct attack on Star Wars fans whom Rian Johnson clearly hates

once you consider that, everything else is small potatoes

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
See my last post, you want weight in that scene? Have Luke drop it right in front of Rey, and walk away, the toss was so horribly misplaced and miscalculated.
It's fine the way it is. It sets the tone purposely. It has weight for the audience because we're dealing with a Luke that gives zero fucks, even to the point that he genuinely tosses a lightsaber over his shoulder, Whether it's tossed over his shoulder or dropped at his feet, (probably would be awkward framing on the latter), the message is still loud and clear.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The lightsaber toss made the theater giggle but I don't think it was strictly meant as humor, nor as disrespect on a meta level. It was meant to help show how utterly depressed and disillusioned Luke really was.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
If Luke dropped it at his feet this thread would be filled with people complaining about Luke "mic dropping" the saber.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does making more than the previous Star Wars film "indicate a troubling trend for the series"?

TLJ was a sure bet to open higher than RO because it was the next mainline film (not Side film). The troubling thing is that it OPENED almost as high as TFA but then fell harder than any of the previous two. So much so that it is now trading blows with a film that opened at 155 million versus the 220 million of TLJ.

If opened almost equal to TFA but is holding worse than TFA and Rogue One. That's a concern if the films are going to start opening worse and holding worse. We can hold the main entries and anthologies to different expectations sure, but do you think that Solo will open higher
Than RO? And what happens to that film if it follows the universal overall worsening holds that are happening to all of these new films? It has the lowest opening and lowest tail of any SW film yet.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine the way it is. It sets the tone purposely. It has weight for the audience because we're dealing with a Luke that gives zero fucks, even to the point that he genuinely tosses a lightsaber over his shoulder, Whether it's tossed over his shoulder or dropped at his feet, (probably would be awkward framing on the latter), the message is still loud and clear.
If he drops it, he just rejects it.

Him tossing it is not only rejecting it but just showing, like you said, have little he gives a shit. Tossing it just cements how much this means to him now, absolutely nothing.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
TLJ was a sure bet to open higher than RO because it was the next mainline film (not Side film). The troubling thing is that it OPENED almost as high as TFA but then fell harder than any of the previous two. So much so that it is now trading blows with a film that opened at 155 million versus the 220 million of TLJ.

If opened almost equal to TFA but is holding worse than TFA and Rogue One.

It's not "trading blows" with Rogue One. It's surpassed it's entire run in 3 weekends.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Could you muster a response if I said he couldn't rewrite it adequately? I think it goes without saying that he did rewrite it and it sucked. Then they brought on Jack Thorne and it still sucked. Trevorrow shortly left, or was fired. It doesn't matter. He couldn't put the pieces together.

I mean... it is in the realm of things that could possibly happen in a physics-based universe. But it never does. Believe me, there is always a way and even an average screenwriter will find it, let alone two. It Trevorrow couldn't piece something, it must've been the whole story, the often-cited yet always vague, creative differences. This I can believe; his vision didn't mesh with that of Disney or he didn't want to continue from where TLJ left off - sure. But him leaving after the Book of Henry flopped and many starting to question his ability to direct IX... I dunno. Moreover, the constant problems of Lucasfilm and their talent really put LF in a bad light; this can happen once or twice, but this is too much to be just a series of unfortunate events.

Sorry. I'm a fucking idiot. Meant Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Lol ;D

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not "trading blows" with Rogue One. It's surpassed it's entire run in 3 weekends.

That is because of its 65 million higher opening, its percentage holds are worse than TFA or RO. It barely beat out RO 3rd week in its third week.

New Years spread (3rd week for both) (TLJ missed projections again)

TFA 98.3 Million

TLJ: 67.2 million
RO: 65.5 million

RO had better Sunday-Monday. (Hence trading blows)

If TLJ had held to TFA the same as it had opened (within 12.7%) then by now TLJ would have made
647 500 000 It's over 100 million behind what its opening suggested and now trading blows in dailies with Rogue One, a film that opened almost 50% less than TFA.

Again this is why it's called a troubling trend. It has dropped off HARD compared to the previous two despite opening almost equal to TFA.

Will Solo continue this trend? Since it's not a mainline we can probably expect it to open lower than RO, but will it also continue the trend of each SW film being more front loaded than the last?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I gotta be honest and say that I'm not entirely sure if the lightsaber toss over shoulder was supposed to be slapstick, but I never personally took it that way, and if it was, then it was the only complete failure of comedy in the entire movie. Out of the 3 times I've seen it, not a single person in the theater laughed one time at that part. In comparison to some jokes in the movie which are hit or miss depending on the audience on a given day.

It is absolutely meant to be a moment of comedy.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What if Luke turned around and chucked in into the ocean, then briefly reconnected to force push it further, but he hit it so hard it launched out of orbit and was sent flying through space and is forgotten about until Rey goes to confront Kylo Ren and then it smashes through the space window and impales Snoke just as he was about to tell Rey his origin story?

Deleted member 11039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think your point is wrong, but... have you been to Tunisia or Morocco? They look nothing like Mos Eisley. Much like Canto Blight doesn't look much like Monaco (I've been to all the places referenced here, btw).

I think the point that Canto Blight is a lot more "earthlike" is fair, but also not particularly relevant.

Its relevance to me is that it takes me out of the film. Seeing Obi Wan in his Jedi robes stroll into a diner that looks basically just like one down the road yanks me right out of the film.

Canton Bite isn't that bad but it still similarly pulled me out of the film with how it was presented.

Same thing with the more contemporary language like "I'm holding for" or "page turner."

That stuff goes beyond "recognizable and believable" to being straight "of our world."

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
What if Luke turned around and chucked in into the ocean, then briefly reconnected to force push it further, but he hit it so hard it launched out of orbit and was sent flying through space and is forgotten about until Rey goes to confront Kylo Ren and then it smashes through the space window and impales Snoke just as he was about to tell Rey his origin story?

giphy.gif

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The box office talk is strange to me. It makes perfect sense that TLJ isn't making as much as TFA did. TFA was the "return" of Star Wars in the public eye more or less, it was always gonna be a far more significant event. The same happened with Phantom Menace, as far as the numbers I'm seeing. Even ESB and RotJ did significantly worse than the original Star Wars.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
All that means is that Luke was never going to be able to turn him back, not that nobody, Rey specifically, can't. You'll have to do better.
Rey, Kylo's dad, and Luke Skywalker already failed turning him to the light side. Luke spent a big chunk of his adult life coming to terms with the fact that Snoke "had already turned his heart".

Rey suddenly turning him after the last two films beat us over the head with how he's never coming back to the light is horrendous writing.

It literally reverses all of what his character is built on. And Luke.

And please don't bring up Vader because it's a terrible comparison with completely different context, narratively

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetical Rian Johnson stealing from Thor?!

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
The box office talk is strange to me. It makes perfect sense that TLJ isn't making as much as TFA did. TFA was the "return" of Star Wars in the public eye more or less, it was always gonna be a far more significant event. The same happened with Phantom Menace, as far as the numbers I'm seeing. Even ESB and RotJ did significantly worse than the original Star Wars.

Shhh... They have a narrative they want to maintain.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I'm not sure of the tone either, but it comes minutes after a phone prank that included a "yo momma" joke. The audience on my first viewing was nervous in the first 20 minutes of the movie. There were a few audible "Is this a joke?" comments. And then you get the entire skit with Luke and the blue milk creature (which wouldn't really be slapstick if it wasn't for the look the creature gives to Rey).

The movie steers the course after that, but I still feel Rian went overboard with it. I understand deconstructing the expectations about Luke, but the first half of TLJ borders on the mystifying.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm not sure of the tone either, but it comes minutes after a phone prank that included a "yo momma" joke. The audience on my first viewing was nervous in the first 20 minutes of the movie. There were a few audible "Is this a joke?" comments. And then you get the entire skit with Luke and the blue milk creature (which wouldn't really be slapstick if it wasn't for the look the creature gives to Rey).

The movie steers the course after that, but I still feel Rian went overboard with it. I understand deconstructing the expectations about Luke, but the first half of TLJ borders on the mystifying.

That's not what slapstick means.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Its relevance to me is that it takes me out of the film. Seeing Obi Wan in his Jedi robes stroll into a diner that looks basically just like one down the road yanks me right out of the film.

Canton Bite isn't that bad but it still similarly pulled me out of the film with how it was presented.

Same thing with the more contemporary language like "I'm holding for" or "page turner."

That stuff goes beyond "recognizable and believable" to being straight "of our world."

I agree that it's a bit of an uncanny valley moment, but it feels like a very minor flaw to me.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't you ever compare Like Skywalker to Black Dynamite. Don't you ever!

It's like seeing cosplayers eating at Waffle House. It didn't help that the CG was too clean.