• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't chose or decide to not like the direction either...

All I did was watch the movie

If I'm making a choice, then I am unaware of it and not consciously involved in the process

You guys are different apparently, but I'm not lying to you about what goes on in the part of my head that I'm in control of

I do not choose what I like and what I do not like, I have no choice in the matter
I mean an unconscious decision is still a decision you make. Unless you have a part of your brain that isn't you.

But I think we've talked this enough. I'll concede you didn't feel like you had any choice in the things you liked and disliked.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, Finn's character arc in this movie is a direct continuation of where he was in TFA.

Things we know Finn did in TFA:
Only rescues Poe because he needs a pilot
Lies to the whole Resistance so they will go on a mission to save Rey

Finn's very first words in this movie are, "where is Rey?" and right after finding out and getting the beacon, he wants to abandon ship so Rey won't walk straight into a trap. In TLJ he learns why it's important for the Resistance to exist, this is done through what Rose tells him in Canto Bight and what he sees with his own eyes. When he says he is a rebel scum, that is Finn showing us that he now considers himself part of the Resistance, he no longer just cares about Rey and she's not his only concern, now Rose, the Resistance and the galaxy are. By the end he care so much about protect those things that he was willing to die for them. Now he really is that hero that Rose thought he was at the start of the movie.
Totally didn't make that connection about the rebel scum line

That's brilliant wow

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This guy sums it up perfectly how i feel about the movie !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8ir66M5XU

Thank you mr Roz Weston
Isn't this that dumb idiot who claims Luke left a map to him in TFA and criticized TLJ about it?

Anyone who keeps on insisting that is someone who isn't capable of actually watching films and the problem solving capability of a 3 year old.

So no one should waste time paying attention to this bozo in the video.

Nov 3, 2017
Tfxjxx9.jpg

This is funny af in light of all this.

Rest of the gallery is here

lmmfao. These are both fantastic.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well, Finn's character arc in this movie is a direct continuation of where he was in TFA.

Things we know Finn did in TFA:
Only rescues Poe because he needs a pilot
Lies to the whole Resistance so they will go on a mission to save Rey

Finn's very first words in this movie are, "where is Rey?" and right after finding out and getting the beacon, he wants to abandon ship so Rey won't walk straight into a trap. In TLJ he learns why it's important for the Resistance to exist, this is done through what Rose tells him in Canto Bight and what he sees with his own eyes. When he says he is a rebel scum, that is Finn showing us that he now considers himself part of the Resistance, he no longer just cares about Rey and she's not his only concern, now Rose, the Resistance and the galaxy are. By the end he care so much about protect those things that he was willing to die for them. Now he really is that hero that Rose thought he was at the start of the movie.

Ok, you explain it pretty well but didn't the first film already develop him in this way? He may have risked his life for Rey but he still ended up in a coma over it, still feels like it was a what do we with Finn situation. I think I just haven't been very impressed with how the new side characters have been handled, I feel like they barely even know each other outside of Finn and Rose who's new. I feel like there's little chemistry between them. Poe just met Rey, Rey and Finn hug, Finn and Poe's relationship is like when you recognise someone from school but didn't keep in contact because you weren't that good friends, and Rose felt like a bit of a stand-in for Rey while she was away during Finn's adventure. BB-8 feels like the only character to develop somewhat of a relationship with everyone, and even then it's not like she sees Rey til the end.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the way Rian Johnson uses fan service in this movie, it's never just put for shits and giggles, it always serves a purpose.
Agreed. This movie was a fair bit better about it over TFA. Compare the rebel scum line to Finn leaning on the game board in the Falcon. With the latter, it's just like okay cool I guess.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, you explain it pretty well but didn't the first film already develop him in this way?
The first movie just shows us that Finn escaped from the FO because he didn't like what they were doing but after that everything he does is for Rey and never for the Resistance. Remember, at the start of this movie Rose is talking about what a great hero he is and we can see that Finn knows that's all a bunch of BS, especially since he's actively trying to run away. Finn at the end of the movie wouldn't escape.

Dhruv_Hanom

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this that dumb idiot who claims Luke left a map to him in TFA and criticized TLJ about it?

Anyone who keeps on insisting that is someone who isn't capable of actually watching films and the problem solving capability of a 3 year old.

Getting a fact wrong doesn't invalidate all his opinions. I've watched TFA twice and even I thought the "map" was to Luke not to the first Jedi temple, heck even the wiki states that it's a map to Luke's location(sure anyone can edit the wiki)

His opinions might differ from yours but likening his mental acuity to a toddler and calling him idiot is distasteful

Man Rey and Finn are so cute together! Like damn!
Reylo for life

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first movie just shows us that Finn escaped from the FO because he didn't like what they were doing but after that everything he does is for Rey and never for the Resistance. Remember, at the start of this movie Rose is talking about what a great hero he is and we can see that Finn knows that's all a bunch of BS, especially since he's actively trying to run away. Finn at the end of the movie wouldn't escape.
Should I just copy and paste my two paragraphs about Finn's development

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People just gonna ignore you and continue posting about how Finn didn't do anything.
Like, shit I could write even more after seeing TFA for the first time in forever.

His rapport with Poe is sublime. When Poe calls him out on his bullshit about saying it's the right thing to do when he really needs a pilot, it's great. Man I love Finn.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This guy sums it up perfectly how i feel about the movie !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8ir66M5XU

Thank you mr Roz Weston
Sorry to quote this again but this guy is like a living laundry list of every ill conceived criticism of TLJ.

"Veganism in SW" Jesus Christ lol

And it's really great that the other dude literally says "name one thing you liked about the movie" And he literally dives right back into bitching about literally everything.

This is pathetic lol. There are legitimate criticisms in this film but they touched on none of them.

RJ really broke some SW fans. If you have to say "I'm not just living in my head here" multiple times in your review, your fanboy headcanon is definitely producing an irrational emotional response

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to quote this again but this guy is like a living laundry list of every ill conceived criticism of TLJ.

"Veganism in SW" Jesus Christ lol

And it's really great that the other dude literally says "name one thing you liked about the movie" And he literally dives right back into bitching about literally everything.

This is pathetic lol. There are legitimate criticisms in this film but they touched on none of them.

RJ really broke some SW fans
Yo I think You'd like that podcast I was talking about last night honestly. It's just...whew

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia

An opinion out there that you don't agree with does not give rise to a pass to put those opinions down with severe belittlement words such as used in your post, here.

Star Wars is a beloved franchise that would elicit a whole different slew of takes and opinions. But at its heart, all its fans are deeply connected with it, so please try to celebrate your fandom instead of filling it with battles in which every opinion is trying to be the one opinion that will rule the galaxy? Thank you.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The thing is that the map is very poorly explained within TFA. I wouldn't think less of anyone That misinterpreted it. This kind of toxicity is exactly the problem with this thread. Why do you feel that it's acceptable to act like this.

If you can look at the script where this element is introduced and come to another obvious interpretation have at it. I'd be interested in hearing it.

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens.html

LOR SAN TEKKA
This will begin to make things right. I've traveled too far, and seen too much, to ignore the despair in the galaxy. Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force.

POE
Well, because of you now we have a chance. The General's been after this for a long time.

LOR SAN TEKKA
"The General." To me, she's royalty.

In the beginning LOR doesn't give people much. All he infers is like with the opening crawl, they need to find Luke.

KYLO REN
The map to Skywalker. We know you've found it, and now you're going to give it to the First Order.

It being something that this guy 'found' gives the impression that it was purposely hidden by someone. Who is the likely candidate to have done that?

REY
This droid has to get to the Resistance base as soon as possible!

(CONTINUED)
CONTINUED: FINN He's carrying a map to Luke Skywalker.
Yup: Han stops in his tracks.

FINN (CONT'D)
You are the Han Solo that fought with the Rebellion. You knew him.

The mention of Luke has really hit Han. He turns to Finn.

HAN
Yeah, I knew him. I knew Luke.

Because it is repeatedly refered to in these terms, people assume that Luke left it because he'd know where he was going. The fact that it's split just creates the perception that it is a safety measure macgiffin.

HAN
This map's not complete. It's just a piece. Ever since Luke disappeared, people have been looking for him.

REY
Why'd he leave?

HAN
He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice turned against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible... He walked away from everything.

FINN
Do you know what happened to him?

HAN
There're a lot of rumors. Stories. The people who knew him the best think he went looking for the first Jedi temple.

REY
The Jedi were real?

HAN
I used to wonder that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo -- magical power holding together good, evil, the dark side and the light.

Part of the reason that this dialog can throw people is... how would they not know that this is a map to the first Jedi Temple... if they say that this is a map to Luke as a synonym for the first Jedi Temple?

Han says that no one knows where he went and that a Jedi Temple is just a guess.This reinforces the idea that where ever Luke went HE knows, so it would follows that 'a map to Luke' that was 'discovered' was hidden and thus intended on his part. Something Luke would do if he had a mission and wanted to be found in case but not by people who would sell him out.

There is one line about Luke walking away from everything but they then ask 'where did he go?'

'those who knew him best think that he went in search of the first Jedi Temple'.

This can easily infer PURPOSE and doesn't reinforce 'he walked away' that he ultimately gave up to go die.

I think this element could have been handled better —and made the final moments of TFA more dramatic, as well as increased tension throughout the film — if this had explicitly been referred to as 'the map to the first Jedi Temple'. That it was on faith, hope, and a guess that Luke might be found there.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, his insight was honestly something I ain't know I wanted
My roommates and I listened to the first 20 min or so. He said a lot of correct shit. I don't agree with his interpretation of the force, stuff like that, but he said a lot of spot on stuff about how fans think about and react to SW shit

I should probably finish it.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My roommates and I listened to the first 20 min or so. He said a lot of correct shit. I don't agree with his interpretation of the force, stuff like that, but he said a lot of spot on stuff about how fans think about and react to SW shit

I should probably finish it.
I'm halfway through it myself, I just like hearing this shit from someone who's doing work that's within Canon tbh. Like I can hear fans and shit, but this is different.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm halfway through it myself, I just like hearing this shit from someone who's doing work that's within Canon tbh. Like I can hear fans and shit, but this is different.
Right, and I really respect a lot of his insight, but I also don't agree with his interpretation of the force. Flat out, even if what he's saying is technically based in canon.

The PT is canon and makes no sense. So it's all pretty fucking mucked up

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, and I really respect a lot of his insight, but I also don't agree with his interpretation of the force. Flat out, even if what he's saying is technically based in canon.

The PT is canon and makes no sense. So it's all pretty fucking mucked up
Lol agreed, the concept is interesting in that the force is interested in balance above all elss, intervening when it sees fit. Idk if I agree but I'm interested in it

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol agreed, the concept is interesting in that the force is interested in balance above all elss, intervening when it sees fit. Idk if I agree but I'm interested in it
I'm listening to it now and he just said "the force controls your destiny, they're all just vessels"

I don't agree with that. The OT and ST are heavily based in choice, along with harnessing the power of the force.

"The force literally controls everything" is the most fucking boring narrative you can possibly invent

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RJ really broke some SW fans. If you have to say "I'm not just living in my head here" multiple times in your review, your fanboy headcanon is definitely producing an irrational emotional response

How can a lot of things that RJ did be subversions of expectations yet not have been set up in TFA to allow for said subversions?

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening to it now and he just said "the force controls your destiny, they're all just vessels"

I don't agree with that. The OT and ST are heavily based in choice, along with harnessing the power of the force.

"The force literally controls everything" is the most fucking boring narrative you can possibly invent
Yep, I think a balance of the two could work in concept though. A mixture of choice and destiny

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, I think a balance of the two could work in concept though. A mixture of choice and destiny
That's exactly how I view SW. Choice is the most important component, although the Force guides you along your path. "Everything is predetermined" is boring as fuck.

Gotta keep listening, When he gets past that and just talks about the movie itself again you should be gucci

I'm gunna keep listening

Last edited: