• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's a general consensus among fans I was referring to. And also, it was a refferential point, don't get hang up on it. And thirdly, we are not talking in PMs, I may be replying to your post, but it's also a part of a larger discussion.

Regardless, I don't have anything to really say for the "general consensus". In fact, I'm not sure what you were even implying by your original statement then. Because 'the general consensus' doesn't buy Anakin's fall, that means I can't buy Luke's missteps?

I've written for video games and movies. I've written several novels (and no, not self-published). I don't need to legitimize myself to you, but I will ask to be vetted by the mods, you think that will do?

And yeah, you might not like anything I've created, but that's neither here, nor there, is it?

You misunderstand. I'm not asking for you to legitimize yourself to me. I'm asking you because I want look at your portfolio, see how you've structured your stories, etc. I don't think I'll like much of what you got, but I could be wrong. In my experience, the art of critiquing stories and the art of writing stories are different skill sets and I've met writers who I think I don't like how they talk about stories but end up liking their work.

Even if I end up liking your work, it won't change my opinion that your criticisms of TLJ are very poor, but it'd be interesting to see.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No I'm not crazy, apparently:

wu9AT.gif

This shot looks like it came from Eraserhead almost

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Idk. Someone on the thread said the Luke VS Kylo was too anime.

Maybe it was the Matrix like dodging? I was disappointed that they didn't cross swords. That's the one thing I look forward to in all SW films and they didn't have it. But I guess they wanted to go "in another direction."

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was the Matrix like dodging? I was disappointed that they didn't cross swords. That's the one thing I look forward to in all SW films and they didn't have it. But I guess they wanted to go "in another direction."

If you go with the Force Projection you can't really cross swords, tbh. Even if he was physically there, he wouldn't have a sword with him.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Regardless, I don't have anything to really say for the "general consensus". In fact, I'm not sure what you were even implying by your original statement then. Because 'the general consensus' doesn't buy Anakin's fall, that means I can't buy Luke's missteps?

I was trying to say what I said below that intro, re: we needed to see things, not be told things. We were told Ben was bad and Luke hesitated and that's what those flashbacks amounted to. That's why people don't buy it, because it goes against everything they've seen in the OT and the overall message of that trilogy. If you want to subvert that, you need to work harder than just flip it and call it a day.

You misunderstand. I'm not asking for you to legitimize yourself to me. I'm asking you because I want look at your portfolio, see how you've structured your stories, etc. I don't think I'll like much of what you got, but I could be wrong. In my experience, the art of critiquing stories and the art of writing stories are different skill sets and I've met writers who I think I don't like how they talk about stories but end up liking their work.

Well, there's a chance you've played a game I've written for by now. But this is neither the time or place for this conversation. I did ask to be verafied, so that will be coming, I guess.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The scene where Luke drinks the alien milk is not a problem for me. The guy cant survive on the force alone.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
It was the very fact that he considered it which was out of character. He made it all the way to his hut! Luke just didn't think it through enough. He was written as a one dimensional character.

Luke not only considered killing his own father instead of saving him, he went so far as to viciously attack his own father, who was defenseless at that point, and cut off his hand before he thought better of it and decided not to kill dad. Luke was actually doing much better by his nephew.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
You're perceiving the scene incorrectly since not only did TFA, but also TLJ tell you what he felt.

That's the opposite of what the film tells you with Kylo's reaction

Hmmm ok I have pondered, and I am wrong for sure. It was expectations for where the storyline was going (or where I thought it should go), which is obviously wrong now.

There were great ideas in this movie. I just didn't think the writing was all that great in TLJ, and I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to say what I said below that intro, re: we needed to see things, not be told things. We were told Ben was bad and Luke hesitated and that's what those flashbacks amounted to. That's why people don't buy it, because it goes against everything they've seen in the OT and the overall message of that trilogy. If you want to subvert that, you need to work harder than just flip it and call it a day.

Except plenty of people do buy it, people like me. But I can't speak for other people, only myself. So you're talking about this as if you're the authority on it, when you have loads of people disagreeing you to your face in this thread. So you're acting like "People" can be generalized into feeling your way, but the feelings regarding whether Luke's mistake worked are split among the general consensus at best.

Look, I'll just end it here. When you feel like discussing MY arguments, reply to me then, not before.

Well, there's a chance you've played a game I've written for by now. But this is neither the time or place for this conversation. I did ask to be verafied, so that will be coming, I guess.
The verification is not necessary, man. I don't disbelieve you when you say that you've written all this stuff. I take your word for it that it is true because it's not something that would legitimize your arguments to me in the first place. I'm literally just asking because I want to look at what you've written.

If you don't want to provide that information for me, that's fine, but a mod coming in to tell me "Yup, he's really written for games and stuff" doesn't accomplish anything because I don't disbelieve you about that in the first place.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
That scene isn't just Luke drinking, it's also the alien leaning back getting it's titty squeezed and then looking at Rey like "sup?"

They say in the artbook that they wanted to design the sea cows like they were a man on a couch drinking a beer. They did a good job on that, lol.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Her backstory is that she was raised by junkies and then abandoned in BFN at a very young age.
It makes no damn sense for her to be a Girl Scout.

People turn out all sorts of ways when raised by abusive people. The abuse never really leaves. But the abused can channel their energy if they're lucky and have a strong will.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
If you go with the Force Projection you can't really cross swords, tbh. Even if he was physically there, he wouldn't have a sword with him.

I know. What I mean is there was no sword crossing at all in this film other than with the pseudo electro weapons that deflect a light sabre.

Also, the scene would have carried more weight if Luke was physically there to have that epic scene. I was hoping Luke would would intentionally let his guard down a-la Obi-wan. Whatever.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Eh. If anything, I feel like Rian gave JJ a ton of freedom to do with whatever he wants. Rian was kinda forced to resolve the mystery boxes JJ tossed around and couldn't really do any kind of timeskip thanks to the cliffhanger ending.

He has to build up the resistance again. He can write it into the opening crawl, make it a major point of IX or kind of do a combination or cheese it through a time jump--but I don't think it's a great place to be in the third film of a trilogy.Remember that nobody came to Leia's defense. So Luke having some last stand that all of 12 people witnessed changes that? Based on the final shot, the story is spreading and hope is back, but if you skip past the nitty gritty of building the resistance up, one of the biggest criticisms of the trilogy will be how it seemed to just awkwardly explain and ignore major aspects of the universe/story. Personally, I don't think JJ is going to bother and will probably just fast forward, because it's just too much to develop over the course of a film that should be ending the conflict between TFO and the resistance.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to see the movie. Amazing that I managed to avoid spoilers of Snoke and Luke.

Not sure what to think yet.

Did they use the old puppet for Yoda?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People turn out all sorts of ways when raised by abusive people. The abuse never really leaves. But the abused can channel their energy if they're lucky and have a strong will.

Most people who are abused have lives outside of the abuse, or did before, or do after. She has no reference for anything good.

Last edited:

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they farm them somewhere? Who knows!?

I like to think that when Luke went into exile he decided to Noah's ark 2 of those manatees onto his X-wing cause he knows he gonna want some of that unpasteurized green milk to remind him of home.

It's not the same milk. That milk is native from Tatooine.

Oh i know. But a lot of people on SM seem to be drawing a link between the two. When you know they're not even closely related other than colour and texture.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017

This exactly

Much like we are told we must let the past die, but we are treated to a film where the only hero who does anything effective is one of the old heroes. There were a million-and-one ways for a story to be written that shows us the old need to rest and the new can be trusted to take over. Instead, most of our new heroes do menial tasks throughout the movie

Much like we are told that the war is funded on both sides by rich arms dealers, but we are not shown in any way that affects the actual movie or should make us care. This could've been a plot, I guess, where the Resistance discovers a supplier is double dealing on Canto Bright, or determines their own hyperspace tracking tech has somehow been co-opted by the FO, or something. If it's really important to this movie, show us that it is important, don't tell us

Much like we are told we need save what we love, not fight what we hate, by a character who prevents Finn from doing exactly that, as the doors keeping her friends safe are destroyed behind her

These are the tip of the iceberg. The movie constantly tells us things, but shows us very little. Very little is built up. I think it's the foundation of most of my complaints

It's actually very similar to the prequels in that respect. The prequels were chastised for favoring exposition over action. TLJ seems to get a pass because the dialogue is more organic, but it doesn't change the fact that the story and themes are just as clunky

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly with the milk I think the color and texture changes are due to pasteurization. I think the Jedi midichlorians are a product of metabolic processes that rely on phospholipids or enzymes found exclusively in the blue milk. This is a big reason why the Jedi started their order on a planet rich with milk-producing life forms. As a teen, Luke's unusual midichlorian counts probably led to cravings for the milk, so Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen had to get him whatever weak, pasteurized version of it was available on Tatooine.

It's all canon, trust me.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
My point with the critics didn't was that unlike the PT this reviewed quite strongly with critics so making this out to be just like the PT all over again is nonsense.

It's not even in the same league and I really can't even entertain comparisons to the prequels. I'll absolutely engage with legitimate criticisms of the new films, but comparisons to the prequels are mostly just disingenuous inflammation.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly with the milk I think the color and texture changes are due to pasteurization. I think the Jedi midichlorians are a product of metabolic processes that rely on phospholipids or enzymes found exclusively in the blue milk. This is a big reason why the Jedi started their order on a planet rich with milk-producing life forms. As a teen, Luke's unusual midichlorian counts probably led to cravings for the milk, so Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen had to get him whatever weak, pasteurized version of it was available on Tatooine.

It's all canon, trust me.

You can't write midichlorians without most of the letters on milk. You might be onto something.