• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never had Luke as a hero in fiction

Like shit he was just some boring white guy with a lightsaber and the force to me as a kid. Then as I got older I recognized him as a whiny asshole in ANH, a brat in Empire, and someone who still ain't got all his shit together in Jedi but is a litty friend to have.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
I guess that is an interesting conversation you can have with researchers and maybe sell them your methodology. Im just pointing out that paying people for their data is common and doesn't taint it in the way you think it does. When I was participating in market research I treated it as my weekend job and considered my answers carefully.

Cinemascore pays people to fill out a survey for a movie. It could be for Star Wars or some other film. There is nothing there telling people to vote a certain way. This is in stark contrast to free to join self selecting polls

You misunderstood me. I'm not talking about what Cinemascore pays people. I'm talking about the money invested in the movie. Going to a premiere on a Friday night is not cheap and I think it polarizes views. It's money well-spent vs. money wasted. The effect wears off after a couple of hours, but going straight out of the cinema, you are more likely to give a more exaggerated view one way or another. This is a topic for a different thread though, so lets get back to bashing/praising TLJ :)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Like shit he was just some boring white guy with a lightsaber and the force to me as a kid. Then as I got older I recognized him as a whiny asshole in ANH, a brat in Empire, and someone who still ain't got all his shit together in Jedi but is a litty friend to have.
:/

Nov 30, 2017
I saw it with my famalams yesterday. I wish I could say I went in blind, but unfortunately I already knew about Rey's parents and Luke dying :(
Overall I liked it a good deal more than TFA and thought it went in a promising direction. I still have some complaints though, which I'll go through before getting to what I liked:
  • The story had a few too many contrivances that stretched my suspension of disbelief slightly too far. Why did purple hair wait so long before her light speed ramming? Why didn't she even give Po a hint that she had a plan other than "we're all gonna die lol"? Why was Leia so confused about how they were being tracked through hyperspace when she was wearing a galaxy-range tracker on her wrist? The light speed ramming in particular reminds me of time-turners from Harry Potter. It gives you an awesome moment, to be sure, but it's so absurdly powerful that it opens up too many questions about why people in-universe aren't exploiting it for everything.
I give it a high 8.17 / 10

The rebels have too few ships. Read the last few pages of my arguments with BetterOffEd. We just got done discussing this Lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
The New Republic, after the Battle of Jakku, passed the Military Disarmament Act. Leia, seeing how the FO was growing on power, kidnapping children and turning them into soldiers, and all that stuff, asked the Senate to do something. They accused her of warmongering and she left the Senate. With that, she founded the Resistance, a clandestine movement to stop the First Order. They have barely some money, some rebel-age equipment and no allies. The only thing that they can do is get some equipment from the businesses that also sell their products to the FO, but not on the same magnitude as them.

Not sure if anybody cares but in the Visual Dictionary it explains that DJ is known to local authorities and arranges his own arrest for a petty crime so he can grab some sleep with assurances that he won't be pestered by the police. So I guess that makes it a little better that he wasn't actually arrested and frees himself. He was there of his own choosing and had an arrangement with the police. Movie should have made that more clear

Hm.

I guess they deemed information such as is this is unnecessary for the movie audience? Or is the audience is expected to pursue collateral material at their own convenience in order to get proper background such as this?

Because as it is--like in the case of DJ--it feels like just a set of contrivances created to further the movie plot, even if it's left the audience with a "huh, uh what?" feeling.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Mark Hamill was the best thing about the last Jedi. The writing was extrordinary and his performance was far beyond what I was expecting. I feel genuinely sorry for anybody who was dissapointed. Carrie and Harrison were lovely, but they didn't blow me away. Luke was a completely surprise. He was the heart of the movie. I left the theater with a big dumb grin. It was perfect.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mark Hamill was the best thing about the last Jedi. The writing was extrordinary and his performance was far beyond what I was expecting. I feel genuinely sorry for anybody who was dissapointed. Carrie and Harrison were lovely, but they didn't blow me away. Luke was a completely surprise. He was the heart of the movie. I left the theater with a big dumb grin. It was perfect.

Hey I wish I enjoyed it like that, more power to you.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just ballparking it, but probably 4-5?

This is when I get sorta lost. It feels longer in the universe. They mention Snoke existing but does Luke really abandon everyone to the First Order?

I can buy Luke leaving after what happened; disconnecting himself from the Force and not seeing what is happening before he finally reconnects and realises what has happened in his absense. Thats his arc.

However The First Orders strength suggests a force thats been around for some time. I dont huy 4-5 years to get there.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I'm talking about as a feature actor. When Star Wars was dead, I spent my time watching him in weird straight to video movies.

Sure

He's really a meh actor though outside of voice work, this was the first time I thought "Mark Hamill is good" and it wasn't for voicework

He's great as a live actor. He chooses to do a lot of work where hamming it up is a part of the role though. Not disimilar to Samuel L. Jackson. Or how Liam Neeson does almost nothing but action films now.

gioRESET

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

Lol, why are you even in this thread? Luke was the hero of the OT, his was the journey of the hero, it couldn't be more clear. The fact that they toilet paper the whole contents of the OT just to give us broken Luke for the lulz is what is creating the divide in TLJ appreciation.

Most movies contain "boring white guy" protagonists. I guess you haven't seen any good big-budget "hero" movies ever. Lol at whiny asshole, brat and someone who still ain't got all his shit together.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's great as a live actor. He chooses to do a lot of work where hamming it up is a part of the role though. Not disimilar to Samuel L. Jackson. Or how Liam Neeson does almost nothing but action films now.
But they have shown themselves to actually be good actors and do hammy shit

Hamill, really hasn't

KidKompromat

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Finally saw this. The movie has some serious issues, but also some good ideas. Overall I'd call it a bad movie cause I don't know if a movie can be in that good category with a subplot and associated characters that were so bad.

Anywheres here's my thoughts:
- The opening action scene with Poe needing take down the auxiliary cannons to make way for the Bwing bombers was cool.
- The overarching action set piece of the cruiser needing to stay just out of range of Snokes ship or whatever was a good idea.
- Luke's characterization as reluctant master was unexpected but dumb. I felt like Johnson wrote the film specifically to be contrarian to Star Wars fans expections, and he's does this a little bit too much where it hurts the movie. In many cases the movie would have been stronger if he just went the cliche route. Like Rey training with Luke would have been fun to see.
- Rose is a bad actress. She sucks. Her character sucks. Her "romance" with Flynn sucks. Her subplot sucks. Her message sucks. Everything about her sucks. But yay for Chinese box office gainssss!
- Poe Dameron continues to be the best part of the new trilogy.
- Snoke was dumb cliche bad guy, but I guess it's good that he was killed?
- Kylo is still a good character.
- Meh on Leia flying back to ship part. But it wasn't that bad.

Nov 30, 2017
Hm.

I guess they deemed information such as is this is unnecessary for the movie audience? Or is the audience is expected to pursue collateral material at their own convenience in order to get proper background such as this?

Because as it is--like in the case of DJ--it feels like just a set of contrivances created to further the movie plot, even if it's left the audience with a "huh, uh what?" feeling.

It was hinted at in the movie that the Rebels fleet is old, and very slim pickings compared to the FO in the movie. First with Poe's recklessness, then the fact the Rebels fleet ran out of fuel faster than the FO's, then the abandoned Rebel base. The Capital Ships' size difference from both sides. And the fact that they said they are the last of the organized resistance left. Yes there are pockets in the outer rims of the galaxy, but they are not organized as shown when they would not come to their aid.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, why are you even in this thread? Luke was the hero of the OT, his was the journey of the hero, it couldn't be more clear. The fact that they toilet paper the whole contents of the OT just to give us broken Luke for the lulz is what is creating the divide in TLJ appreciation.

Most movies contain "boring white guy" protagonists. I guess you haven't seen any good big-budget "hero" movies ever. Lol at whiny asshole, brat and someone who still ain't got all his shit together.
I like Star Wars, like damn who pissed in ya corn flakes

I very much know that Luke was the hero of the OT guy, settle ya ass down somewhere

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Right? Whoever that guy was earlier in the thread saying Hamill's acting was terrible is out of his mind.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really have to start getting back to my work so I'm taking a small break from the TLJ thread in general. I hope everybody has fun. :)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This user was warned for: Inappropriate language.
In the next movie we're going to find out that when Luke went to Kylo during the night he was there to rape him.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
It was hinted at in the movie that the Rebels fleet is old, and very slim pickings compared to the FO in the movie. First with Poe's recklessness, then the fact the Rebels fleet ran out of fuel faster than the FO's, then the abandoned Rebel base. The Capital Ships' size difference from both sides. And the fact that they said they are the last of the organized resistance left. Yes there are pockets in the outer rims of the galaxy, but they are not organized as shown when they would not come to their aid.

I mean the under-equipped heroes fighting against a much more powerful evil guys is just standard fiction tropes, but I kinda hope at least the movie(s) made some effort into showing stuff like Leia abandoning the Senate or whatever because it would be beneficial to the world-building.

It is as if... the movies are in such in a hurry, you know?

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw this. The movie has some serious issues, but also some good ideas. Overall I'd call it a bad movie cause I don't know if a movie can be in that good category with a subplot and associated characters that were so bad.

Anywheres here's my thoughts:
- The opening action scene with Poe needing take down the auxiliary cannons to make way for the Bwing bombers was cool.
- The overarching action set piece of the cruiser needing to stay just out of range of Snokes ship or whatever was a good idea.
- Luke's characterization as reluctant master was unexpected but dumb. I felt like Johnson wrote the film specifically to be contrarian to Star Wars fans expections, and he's does this a little bit too much where it hurts the movie. In many cases the movie would have been stronger if he just went the cliche route. Like Rey training with Luke would have been fun to see.
- Rose is a bad actress. She sucks. Her character sucks. Her "romance" with Flynn sucks. Her subplot sucks. Her message sucks. Everything about her sucks. But yay for Chinese box office gainssss!
- Poe Dameron continues to be the best part of the new trilogy.
- Snoke was dumb cliche bad guy, but I guess it's good that he was killed?
- Kylo is still a good character.
- Meh on Leia flying back to ship part. But it wasn't that bad.

Rose is a bad actress? I thought she did fine with the cards she was dealt. You do also realise that she's an American actress right?

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Saw it last night. Overall liked it, but thought TFA was way better.

It irked me that Poe and Finn only fucked things up in the movie. Nothing they did helped anything. Bringing in DJ ended up getting a ton of people killed.

Nov 30, 2017
I mean the under-equipped heroes fighting against a much more powerful evil guys is just standard fiction tropes, but I kinda hope at least the movie(s) made some effort into showing stuff like Leia abandoning the Senate or whatever because it would be beneficial to the world-building.

It is as if... the movies are in such in a hurry, you know?

Sure it's a trope but this movie turns that trop on it's head with the Resistance almost completely gone and not a single idea what the next movie is going to be about. Especially now that Carrie Fisher is gone :(.

Unless they recast Princess Leia, I don't know where the next part is going to go at all.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The New Republic, after the Battle of Jakku, passed the Military Disarmament Act. Leia, seeing how the FO was growing on power, kidnapping children and turning them into soldiers, and all that stuff, asked the Senate to do something. They accused her of warmongering and she left the Senate. With that, she founded the Resistance, a clandestine movement to stop the First Order. They have barely some money, some rebel-age equipment and no allies. The only thing that they can do is get some equipment from the businesses that also sell their products to the FO, but not on the same magnitude as them.

TFA did a really terrible job of setting this up. Didn't really matter to TLJ but was confusing in TFA.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
But they have shown themselves to actually be good actors and do hammy shit

Hamill, really hasn't

A massive chunk of his acting career was tainted by typecasting. He did broadway for a few years, quite well, but even after that was turned down for roles because casting producers didn't want "Luke Skywalker" in their film. It was after that, that he leaned into hammy genre stuff and guest spots and stuntcasting.

He's not a bad actor. Just one whose career was jacked up due to hitting it big in a silly genre trilogy. It doesn't happen to everyone who stars in these types of things but it happens to a lot of people.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
You misunderstood me. I'm not talking about what Cinemascore pays people. I'm talking about the money invested in the movie. Going to a premiere on a Friday night is not cheap and I think it polarizes views. It's money well-spent vs. money wasted. The effect wears off after a couple of hours, but going straight out of the cinema, you are more likely to give a more exaggerated view one way or another. This is a topic for a different thread though, so lets get back to bashing/praising TLJ :)

Yes, but they poll (almost) every major release. So they usually have a metric where if a film gets an A+ the studio can expect to do more business than a similarly sized A movie. And an A movie can do more business than an A- movie and so on.

So they have a dataset of comparable stats for different movies and genres over decades. That's important.
Similar conditions and copious historical data controls for things like fanboys and opening day crowds since other scores will also have their opening day crowds.

Sure you probably can't say an A from a drama oscar bait is comparable to a summer event film, but you can compare the summer event films.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
That was one of the harder bits to swallow from TLJ for me.

We see Ren hesitant to fire on his mom but then we have Luke and even Leia saying how he's totally gone.

So dumb.

I mean we have so many instances in the movies where he's "totally gone" but I suppose the possibility of redemption must always be dangled to us in order to create drama.

Like heck, the very first thing he did in his appearance is ordering an entire village full of innocent to be blasted to bits mercilessly, lol, I don't know about you guys but that's really "totally gone" material for me, hahaha.

Anyways, even in TLJ the movie made a point of Rey literally and figuratively closes the door on him. The shining force of extreme goodness that came to the enemy's base directly for the possibility of converting him to goodness, even that person has given up, so I think the "Kylo will be a good guy" has been totally shut. I think.

Sure it's a trope but this movie turns that trop on it's head with the Resistance almost completely gone and not a single idea what the next movie is going to be about. Especially now that Carrie Fisher is gone :(.

Unless they recast Princess Leia, I don't know where the next part is going to go at all.

Meh, I am like 1.000.000% sure that Rey will become such a WOOEY INSPIRING HERO in the next movie and we will have a scene of everybody from the Outer Rim coming together forming a large force to counter the FO, like in Mass Effect 3 where Shepard led the huge alliance army against the Reapers, hshsha.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Mark deserves props for selling the hell out of his interactions with Yoda and the droids in the OT. Dude made you believe they were real. A different actor could have come across as uncomfortable or bored.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm sure their are a small number of citizens of china happy to see any Asians in more movies but I assume they want more Chinese people specifically. God I hate red letter media for their "forced diversity" bullshit.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Rose is a bad actress. She sucks. Her character sucks. Her "romance" with Flynn sucks. Her subplot sucks. Her message sucks. Everything about her sucks. But yay for Chinese box office gainssss!.
She's Vietnamese but kk

She was fine, she had a crush on Finn, it wasn't a romance. Her character is inoffensive at worst.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rose, the casino plot, the giant bunny chase. Straight out of a filler episode.

I'm sure their are a small number of citizens of china happy to see any Asians in more movies but I assume they want more Chinese people specifically. God I hate red letter media for their "forced diversity" bullshit.

They didn't even talk about this, wtf.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Wow, this movie was a mess...

-The Finn-Rose subplot (she fell in love with him over like what, 10 hours?)
-The character assassination of Luke just because they wanted to subvert expectations
-Killing off Snoke before we even know who the fuck he is
-Having Phasma do nothing (yet again) and killing her off
-The whole Casino part that felt like something straight out of the prequels, completely irrelevant to the overall plot.
-Humour that simply wasn't funny or appropriate at times (The whole "i can't hear you" phone gag was really out of place)
etc.

Pretty disappointed even though I wasn't expecting much after TFA and Rogue One...

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Wow, this movie was a mess...

-The Finn-Rose subplot (she fell in love with him over like what, 10 hours?)
-The character assassination of Luke just because they wanted to subvert expectations
-Killing off Snoke before we even know who the fuck he is
-Having Phasma do nothing (yet again) and killing her off
-The whole Casino part that felt like something straight out of the prequels, completely irrelevant to the overall plot.
-Humour that simply wasn't funny or appropriate at times (The whole "i can't hear you" phone gag was really out of place)
etc.

Pretty disappointed even though I wasn't expecting much after TFA and Rogue One...

Well to be fair even before she really knew him she's already infatuated with him with his status as a hero and everything, you know.

And also during the kiss, even Finn's face was like, WTF just happened, lol.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is really one of the biggest detriments to the film.

Not only is it just not funny and off tone, having the bad guys shown to be such rubes right off the bat totally neuters any threat the could be for the rest of your film.

Just a truly baffling decision.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting to note that Hamill auditioned and really wanted the part of Amadeus for the movie. I wonder how different that would have been for him.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
etc.
I actually thought this was a good way to start the film. Not laugh out loud funny but it was a good way to introduce the space chase part of the movie, setting up the Poe arc by showing how brazen and inappropriate he can be.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That was one of the harder bits to swallow from TLJ for me.

We see Ren hesitant to fire on his mom but then we have Luke and even Leia saying how he's totally gone.

So dumb.
Before Luke walks out specifically, his line are:
"No prisoners, no quarter."

despite likely sensing that his mother is down there. He's really gone.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kylo is "gone" when he kills Snoke and decides to take his position rather than accept Rey's help.

This shit isn't hard to follow guys.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What?
They mocked the Star Wars franchise for its lack of diversity behind the camera.