• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from it being a visually cool sequence was anyone else bothered by how overpowered the light-speed suicide jump was? Something like that would completely change the way space battles are fought if launching one medium-size ship can completely decimate an entire fleet of star destroyers.

But the only reason it worked was that Hux said it was a distraction and ordered to keep attacking the transports. If they shot the Raddus, the Supremacy would still be up.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about that, Starkillerbase taking out the old republic shook the entire galaxy, hence no one answering thier plea for help.

Granted, Luke lit the spark of Rebellion with his miraculous display of bravery and strength against all odds, so having witnessed that, and spreading the word they will gain support and rebuild.

Expect a time jump for 9.

All of Twenty people witnessed that. It's not like it was being live streamed on Rebelbook Live. Don't know how such a handful of people convince a whole galaxy.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Jesus XD

I already spelled out for you the problem with just sampling 300-500 already seeing it viewers who on top of that agree to respond and only on release and gave you a link talking about why sample biased exit polls traditionally have issues and now I gave you an example of another way in which the 'fan' score can not be reflective of critical or public reception.

We're good.
Amazing

You literally linked an article you didn't read at all

That is all about political exit polls and has nothing to do with movies or CinemaScore

I never once argued that there's a correlation between fan and critic reception

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this movie holds up well in its concepts, which makes it way more interesting post-discussion, but the way the film executes them is poor. The summary of the film and the discussions around it are a blast to read, but I remember feeling none of that enthusiasm in both viewings.

This film has some really amazing concepts that were extremely goofily handled, which is a shame.

I like Luke in this film, I enjoy Rey and Kylo a lot and the implications behind what could come next, but Finn and Rose's subplot was garbage and retroactively ruined my boy Finn from the first film.

I think this will be remembered as a film that's more interesting to talk about than actually watch, much like the prequels.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, Kylo is woefully conflicted, the most conflicted we've ever seen a dark jedi. Why couldn't Luke tell? It's not really a plot hole, nothing to nitpick. We are told Luke saw no hope, that's canon

But perhaps you can understand why some fans aren't happy with the way things went. When the audience can see that Kylo is conflicted, but the guy who turned Vader and can feel disturbances in the force can't, some audience members may start wondering what's going on. Leia can use the force to survive the bridge explosion, but can't feel that her son just spared her life? It's just hard for some people to accept that the main characters have given up on him, especially when the narrative shows us there's reason not to give up
The bolded is the exact reason why Luke commits this mistake.

You know how Luke talks about the hubris of the Jedi? Well, in that scene he also talks about his own hubris and his own belief in the Luke Skywalker myth and legend. He had felt Ben being corrupted for a while, so he went into the hut that night to see how bad it really was and what he saw was nothing but corruption, he saw visions of the future where Ben would destroy everything he had built and everything he loved. Ben would be the galaxy's undoing. If Luke Skywalker sees this, then it must be true, and if Luke Skywalker can't stop it from happening, then who can? So for a fraction of a second animal instinct kicked in but as soon as it kicked in, he pushed it back. Ashamed of himself. Right after that he saw, "the eyes of a frighten by whos master had failed him" he knew at that time he had committed a horrible mistake.

This is so much more human, so much more rich, than Luke actually being right all the time.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
But the only reason it worked was that Hux said it was a distraction and ordered to keep attacking the transports. If they shot the Raddus, the Supremacy would still be up.

Well yeah, but if it's light-speed you could also do it from far away. If they have the tech to avoid collisions over that great a distance it would logically follow they could specifically target objects in their path.

And maybe I was misremembering due to all the explosions but I thought a bunch of regular star destroyers got fucked up as well, even if the giant mega-ship was still technically functioning.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017

and Hux should be demoted to piss boy for this order. As in a universe where hyperdrives can do that much damage, any ship facing you should be considered an unignorable threat. His incompetence cost the FO their best asset. There's no way he didn't know what was about to happen, he's been hyperspace 100s of times himself

Nov 30, 2017
1)- which begs the question, why wasn't this done with the other ships as well?

2)- this is true, but not relevant to the questions asked

3)- We don't know this, and it makes little sense considering the rebels won at the end of ROTJ and formed a New Republic and the Empire was scattered to the Outer Rim. If anything, the Rebels should have better ships, however, I can understand why you think the rebels have trouble getting ships, as these new movies have really painted the FO as a powerhouse while providing no context to backup their position. I suppose your comment is canon accurate, which just means the canon is confusing

4) This makes no sense and seems to be a narrative people are pushing to wave away one of the many problems with this scene. In a universe where a ship can destroy another ship 30 times its size by going into hyperpace, every competent captain in every battle would fear for the safety of their crew whenever another ship is pointed at them. Whether or not there are life forms on board would be irrelevant, because there are clearly droids in the universe which are capable of hyperspace jumps (this is the purpose of astromech droids). Plus, given the destructive potential of this maneuver, it would be immediately weaponized, thus missiles would be equipped with hyperdrives rather than firing proton torpedoes. As far as I'm aware, the narrative that Holdo had to be on the ship to trick the FO is something invented by a fan in defense of the scene and is not supported by anything in the movie (do they scan the ship for life in the movie?). Hux doesn't even seem to think this maneuver was a possibility until it's about to happen. You'd think any craft with a hyperdrive would be considered a deadly missle if this was possible

A better response for TLJ apologists to the autopilot question would be "Why aren't all space battles performed by androids"? We see how much better BB8 is at wrecking up a scene in an AT-ST than any Imperial pilot has been, and that's just one example. It's an easy whataboutism to muddle the complaints people have about Holdo's sacrifice, but there is a legit response. Like weaponized hyperspace, drone piloted ships break the rules of the universe. In theory, a drone would be infinitely better at piloting than any humans for the same reasons that self driving cars are going to replace humans. Star Wars space battles are modeled after WW2 dogfights so human pilots can have human moments that the audience can enjoy. The technology is nerfed specifically to service the story (which is what makes this more space fantasy than sci-fi)

Bare in mind that if Holdo had simply rammed the Supremecy, few people would be bringing up auto pilot. It's the fact that the rules of the universe were broken that has precipitated a bunch of other nitpicks about the scene, i.e. the writers thought they were clever by subverting the rules, now the internet trolls will show they are clever by doing the same. It's a can of worms the script of TLJ has opened and will have to deal with

5)- which the FO figured out anyway, not sure what this has to do with the original question

4) Why didn't the rebels just light speed into the Shield generating structure around the planet in TFA? Then just light speed travel into the Star Killer Base Weapon?

Why didn't the fleet do that at the end of ROTJ as they were losing the battle? Why didn't Leia use a droid in ANH at the beginning of the movie to send Darth Vader light speed into his own ship? Why didn't the rebels just light speed a thousand ships into the death star. These are pointless questions to ask about Star Wars movies.

And no the Empire's ability to detect life on board was stated and shown a few times in the OT. So my only guess is you just don't like Star Wars movies in general.

Why does space have gravity? How is it possible for those bombs to fall downwards? How do the top bombs not bump into the bottom bombs as they would have more time to generate acceleration due to the gravity of the ship which is towards the bottom of the bomber. Inertia would determine that the top bombs would have bumped into the ones below them as they entered space.

How come whenever a ship blows up in Star Wars it always falls downwards? Rather than continuing in it's direction of motion?

5) FO figured out because the code breaker sold them out. Otherwise they had no idea. Which was as in your face of a revelation as you can possible get.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing

You literally linked an article you didn't read at all

That is all about political exit polls and has nothing to do with movies or CinemaScore

Amazing.

You literally don't understand that polls can cover different topics but use the same methodology.

Are you aware how CinemaScores generates results? It probably sounds a lot like how you do political exit polls!

Have a good day :P

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from it being a visually cool sequence was anyone else bothered by how overpowered the light-speed suicide jump was? Something like that would completely change the way space battles are fought if launching one medium-size ship can completely decimate an entire fleet of star destroyers.
It's pretty powerful but nowhere near as powerful as a Death Star, let alone Starkiller Base.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Amazing.

You literally don't understand that polls can cover different topics but use the same methodology.

Are you aware how CinemaScores generates results? It probably sounds a lot like how you do political exit polls!

Have a good day :P
Literally nothing in the article you linked talks about anything but politics.

You clearly didn't read what you posted.

That article doesn't talk about general methodology (across mediums) for exit polls, it talks about exit polls specifically within the context of the political landscape.

Man

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, but if it's light-speed you could also do it from far away. If they have the tech to avoid collisions over that great a distance it would logically follow they could specifically target objects in their path.

And maybe I was misremembering due to all the explosions but I thought a bunch of regular star destroyers got fucked up as well, even if the giant mega-ship was still technically functioning.

I may be misremembering too but I think it only clips the Supremacy's wing. And we're talking about a Mon Calamari Cruiser that is also more reinforced that other MC Cruisers.

and Hux should be demoted to piss boy for this order. As in a universe where hyperdrives can do that much damage, any ship facing you should be considered an unignorable threat. His incompetence cost the FO their best asset. There's know way he didn't know what was about to happen, he's been hyperspace 100s of times himself

Yeah he should be demoted. But I'm sure the only person that can demote him is Kylo and he also fucked up big, so it won't happen.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
All of Twenty people witnessed that. It's not like it was being live streamed on Rebelbook Live. Don't know how such a handful of people convince a whole galaxy.
Rian Johnson actually discussed this in an interview in a semi-joking way that they skipped a "whispering montage" where a First Order walker pilot tell his cousin who mentions it to guy in a cantina and it spreads from there.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally nothing in the article you linked talks about anything but politics.

You clearly didn't read what you posted.

That article doesn't talk about general methodology for exit polls, it talks about exit polls specifically within the context of the political landscape.

Man

I....

1. Exit polls have a much larger intrinsic margin for error than regular polls. This is because of what are known as cluster sampling techniques. Exit polls are not conducted at all precincts, but only at some fraction thereof. Although these precincts are selected at random and are supposed to be reflective of their states as a whole, this introduces another opportunity for error to occur (say, for instance, that a particular precinct has been canvassed especially heavily by one of the campaigns). This makes the margins for error somewhere between 50-90% higher than they would be for comparable telephone surveys.

4. Exit polls challenge the definition of a random sample. Although the exit polls have theoretically established procedures to collect a random sample — essentially, having the interviewer approach every nth person who leaves the polling place — in practice this is hard to execute at a busy polling place, particularly when the pollster may be standing many yards away from the polling place itself because of electioneering laws.

relate directly to general methodology for exit polls and parts that you might think aren't relevant are actually reflected in how CinimaScores does polling. For instance 'not conducted in all precincts but a fraction there off' introducing possible geographic based biases? Cinima Score only polls a handful of theaters.

Things like

2. Exit polls have consistently overstated the Democratic share of the vote.

5. Democrats may be more likely to participate in exit polls.

Only highlights that opt in exit polls have inherent biases because again you have to opt in on the spot.

Like I won't dispute that it wasn't the best link I could have found, but it's nowhere near what you're trying to frame it as.

Man.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
You mean the part where he lost to Rey right after and half the interest was crying Mary Sue/Plot hole.

They give a pretty good context in this film as to why that is the case, and keep in mind this film happens right after TFA. There is no time skip.

I don't know what you're getting at
TFA tells us it didn't work.

Rewatch the scene, Kylo just watches his father die and he stands there. Adam Driver's performance tells us that killing Han didn't give him what he wanted. They didn't reverse anything, TLJ is a continuation of Kylo's inability to fully go into the Darkside.

Idk it seemed pretty obvious what was happening with the whole room turning red. He made his choice. But w/e.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Takes like 2 seconds to google cinemascore and read up on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaScore
https://www.cinemascore.com/cinemascores/

Arguing the methology because you don't like the results seems kind of backwards.

It's beyond silly to just cite the CinemaScores ranking as definitive proof when CinemaScores is only conducted around release and there are well known inherent issues with exit polls compared to other polling. This is just plain fact.

I mean I can keep going with another issue that crops up with in person stuff like this:

You'll probably see that there are much fewer F's and D's on CinimaScore compared to other sites like Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. Because there's a well known phenomenon of people slightly over rating something when put on the spot. No one wants to be an ass.

I mean in the end it doesn't mean that everyone teh hates TLJ, but citing just a CinemaScore isn't really enough and you need to give some context to that number if that's all you're citing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what you're getting at

Idk it seemed pretty obvious what was happening with the whole room turning red. He made his choice. But w/e.

Look at Adam Driver's expression in this moment and tell me Kylo fully switched over to the Darkside.
https://youtu.be/yw-PFWJDObI?t=3m15s

This is what the script says about that expression:
Kylo Ren is somehow WEAKENED by this wicked act. Himself
horrified. His SHOCK is broken only when --

CHEWIE CRIES OUT IN AGONY! Chewie furiously FIRES AT KYLO
REN, HITTING HIM IN THE SIDE! Kylo Ren falls back, stunned.

TLJ progresses that and not regresses it.

Nov 30, 2017
Which should have been settled in TFA when he killed Han. He should've been fully committed to the dark side. They reversed a whole movies worth of development.

To me it seems he wouldn't fully go until he killed his mother. It's obvious he loved her far more than his father.

Which would have been an awesome plot in EP IX. First he faces Han, then he faces Luke, finally he faces Leia and it's her to take him down.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Takes like 2 seconds to google cinemascore and read up on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaScore
https://www.cinemascore.com/cinemascores/

Arguing the methology because you don't like the results seems kind of backwards.

Do they really do it this way? 400 cards per film on opening night from people who have a monetary stake in this (paid for tickets)? Wow. That's some bad methodology. And I'm saying this outside of TLJ context. Never knew how they did it. It's a nice way to get a general feel in the fleeting moment of a premiere to get the word of mouth going, but statistics it is not.

BetterOffEd

Oct 29, 2017
4) Why didn't the fleet do that at the end of ROTJ as they were losing the battle? Why didn't Leia use a droid in ANH at the beginning of the movie to send Darth Vader light speed into his own ship? These are pointless questions to ask about Star Wars movies.

Why does space have gravity? How is it possible for those bombs to fall downwards? How do the top bombs not bump into the bottom bombs as they would have more time to generate acceleration due to the gravity of the ship which is towards the bottom of the bomber. Inertia would determine that the top bombs would have bumped into the ones below them as they entered space.

How come whenever a ship blows up in Star Wars it always falls downwards? Rather than continuing in it's direction of motion?

5) FO figured out because the code breaker sold them out. Otherwise they had no idea.

4) You are bolstering my point. As I said, the reason these things don't happen in ANH and in ROTJ is because the Star Wars universe has established rules for space combat which mirror those of WW2 cinema. This is done to make spaceship combat exciting and human. The reason people are nitpicking the Holdo scene is because it breaks our understanding of the universe. It invites the question why wasn't this done in ROTJ? Why wasn't this used against the Death Star? These questions would not surface if the script of TLJ did not invite them. And sadly, these questions will continue to surface, as in every future Star Wars space battle the elephant in the corner will be "why didn't that ship hyperspace into someone else before going down?"

People can complain about the TLJ bombers and the gravity, you can't stop 'em. I'm not going to defend that complaint, though, as it actually fits the WW2 style combat of Star Wars pretty well, and it made for a well executed, dramatic scene. We could also nitpick why a remote is required, why bombs can't be dropped from the cockpit, why bombs couldn't be dropped wirelessly from the Raddus, and on and on, but if the scene follows the rules of the universe and tells a good story, only the legit trolls will beat that drum. I can admit that it's a bit silly they didn't make the bombs be downward projected torpedoes, as was done with TIE bombers in ESB. The scene would still have worked either way. But it's the type of thing I could happily ignore, like sound in space, because it made the scene great and didn't introduce something that will break all past and future combat

5) I understand the codebreaker told them, not sure what this has to do with the question you were answering

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

Well, plus the First Order.

But it's not the first time a big event in the Star Wars universe is practically only experienced by a few people but widely known later on. We didn't always have Facebook in the real world and yet we know of important moments in history nonetheless.

Oct 26, 2017

Remember, in Star Wars ships travel through hyperspace. This could literally only work up close.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Do they really do it this way? 400 cards per film on opening night from people who have a monetary stake in this (paid for tickets)? Wow. That's some bad methodology. And I'm saying this outside of TLJ context. Never knew how they did it. It's a nice way to get a general feel in the fleeting moment of a premiere to get the word of mouth going, but statistics it is not.

When I was a poor University student I've participated in market research where I was paid. Most focus groups also pay the participants something. This is not really a good argument to discredit the methology, you'd have to try harder.

It's beyond silly to just cite the CinemaScores ranking as definitive proof when CinemaScores is only conducted around release and there are well known inherent issues with exit polls compared to other polling. This is just plain fact.

I mean I can keep going with another issue that crops up with in person stuff like this:

You'll probably see that there are much fewer F's and D's on CinimaScore compared to other sites like Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. Because there's a well known phenomenon of people slightly over rating something when put on the spot. No one wants to be an ass.

I mean in the end it doesn't mean that everyone teh hates TLJ, but citing just a CinemaScore isn't really enough and you need to give some context to that number if that's all you're citing.

Why, it has a data set that's broadly correlated and sampled in the same way so you can use the data and say with some confidence one movie is liked by the audience more than another. This is much better than anecdotes and self-selecting polls on the internet. You really shouldn't be choosing this hill.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No, no it is not. They also break down respondents along perceived demographic lines to try and see how it will play to various groups, but given the small amount of polling that they are already doing in very compromised circumstances (beyond the ticket thing even), it opens it up to even more potential distortion with how they're doing it.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
4) You are bolstering my point. As I said, the reason these things don't happen in ANH and in ROTJ is because the Star Wars universe has established rules for space combat which mirror those of WW2 cinema. This is done to make spaceship combat exciting and human. The reason people are nitpicking the Holdo scene is because it breaks our understanding of the universe. It invites the question why wasn't this done in ROTJ? Why wasn't this used against the Death Star? These questions would not surface if the script of TLJ did not invite them. And sadly, these questions will continue to surface, as in every future Star Wars space battle the elephant in the corner will be "why didn't that ship hyperspace into someone else before going down?"

People can complain about the TLJ bombers and the gravity, you can't stop 'em. I'm not going to defend that complaint, though, as it actually fits the WW2 style combat of Star Wars pretty well, and it made for a well executed, dramatic scene. We could also nitpick why a remote is required, why bombs can't be dropped from the cockpit, why bombs couldn't be dropped wirelessly from the Raddus, and on and on, but if the scene follows the rules of the universe and tells a good story, only the legit trolls will beat that drum. I can admit that it's a bit silly they didn't make the bombs be downward projected torpedoes, as was done with TIE bombers in ESB. The scene would still have worked either way. But it's the type of thing I could happily ignore, like sound in space, because it made the scene great and didn't introduce something that will break all past and future combat

5) I understand the codebreaker told them, not sure what this has to do with the question you were answering

I mean did this question exist in WWII when the Japanese rammed their fighters into battleships?

Was there a huge group of people demanding that allied air forces start implementing those same tactics? Or wondering why they weren't?

Unless I'm missing something I don't remember that becoming an official tactic.

Nov 30, 2017

I asked about the previous movies because I always thought why don't they just do that. If they can pin point exact places to travel to that are light years away, how can they not pin point something just thousands of KM away? You wouldn't even have to crash your ship throught them. As the shields could do the damage.

Again the Rebels have a harder time coming up with Ships than the FO. It was already hinted at when Poe used up all their bombers to take out that Dreadnaught and Leia lecturing him. Watch all the movies before and realize that the Rebels always only have one ship of that Class size in the battle. So you would sacrifice the head of the fleet every battle just to take out a few of the enemies ships?

How many leaders and ships of that class size do the Rebels have? How many Dreadnaughts and Star Ship Destroyers do the FO have?

And as for 5. You are the one who said they found out anyway. I'm just stating they wouldn't have found out had Code Breaker not sold them out. Once the transports were safe Holdo would have jumped to another planet on her last bit of fuel and the fleet would have pursued her and destroyed the ship there. That was the plan which didn't go through because Code Breaker sold them out.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why, it has a data set that's broadly correlated and sampled in the same way so you can use the data and say with some confidence one movie is liked by the audience more than another. This is much better than anecdotes and self-selecting polls on the internet. You really shouldn't be choosing this hill.

Let's back up. Do you understand why exit polling is considered unreliable?

I'm glad you went back to actually read what you posted at least

But

Both of those paragraphs are copied from the link you provided.. and again, are written in the context of exit polls in the political landscape.

Comparing political polls to CinemaScore is way off base.

You've done nothing to actually provide anything substantial that discredits CinemaScore in a significant way.. that's apparently been an industry standard trusted since the late 70s.

The fact of the matter is that the movie is performing well in the box office, has received excellent reviews from critics, and there is no proof or hard evidence of a "sizable" chunk of moviegoers disliking it. From what I can see, again, there's a loud minority who dislike/hate the film and people generally liked it.

And it's a real bad look to just copy and paste from a source you clearly didn't read when you first posted it.

Ok look, if you're not going to engage this honestly there's no point. It's weird to see you still attacking me for 'not reading and article I posted' when you clearly didn't and addressed nothing in my post.

Last edited:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I....

1. Exit polls have a much larger intrinsic margin for error than regular polls. This is because of what are known as cluster sampling techniques. Exit polls are not conducted at all precincts, but only at some fraction thereof. Although these precincts are selected at random and are supposed to be reflective of their states as a whole, this introduces another opportunity for error to occur (say, for instance, that a particular precinct has been canvassed especially heavily by one of the campaigns). This makes the margins for error somewhere between 50-90% higher than they would be for comparable telephone surveys.

4. Exit polls challenge the definition of a random sample. Although the exit polls have theoretically established procedures to collect a random sample — essentially, having the interviewer approach every nth person who leaves the polling place — in practice this is hard to execute at a busy polling place, particularly when the pollster may be standing many yards away from the polling place itself because of electioneering laws.

relate directly to general methodology for exit polls and parts that you might think aren't relevant are actually reflected in how CinimaScores does polling. For instance 'not conducted in all precincts but a fraction there off' introducing possible geographic based biases? Cinima Score only polls a handful of theaters.

Things like

2. Exit polls have consistently overstated the Democratic share of the vote.

5. Democrats may be more likely to participate in exit polls.

Only highlights that opt in exit polls have inherent biases because again you have to opt in on the spot.

Like I won't dispute that it wasn't the best link I could have found, but it's nowhere near what you're trying to frame it as.

Man.
I'm glad you went back to actually read what you posted at least

But

Both of those paragraphs are copied from the link you provided.. and again, are written in the context of exit polls in the political landscape.

Comparing political polls to CinemaScore is way off base.

You've done nothing to actually provide anything substantial that discredits CinemaScore in a significant way.. which has apparently been a trusted industry standard since the late 70s.

The fact of the matter is that the movie is performing well in the box office, has received excellent reviews from critics, and there is no proof or hard evidence of a "sizable" chunk of moviegoers disliking it. From what I can see, again, there's a loud minority who dislike/hate the film and people generally liked it.

And it's a real bad look to just copy and paste from a source you clearly didn't read when you first posted it.

Last edited:

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Why don't the characters know that Kylo Ren hesitated instead of killing Leia?"

Does anyone know how movies work anymore? I swear, Spaceballs is becoming more and more relevant with some of you knuckleheads.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look at Adam Driver's expression in this moment and tell me Kylo fully switched over to the Darkside.

Exactly. I'll bet money that in the final film Kylo has a major reckoning from all this. Since he's now in command of the entire first order, maybe he tries to just shut down the entire operation instead of doing something cliche like trying to join the Republic.

He has never been ok with just killing his Dad, and he straight up stopped himself from killing his Mom. Assuming they do a time jump and Leia is now dead, they might even play into that with having someone tell him and then having him react to that. I've been saying since TFA that people are seriously sleeping on what is going on with that character and its not as straightforward as bad guy becomes even bigger bad guy only to die in climactic battle.

"Why don't the characters know that Kylo Ren hesitated instead of killing Leia?"

Does anyone know how movies work anymore? I swear, Spaceballs is becoming more and more relevant with some of you knuckleheads.

A lot of the people online you see trying to shit on TLJ however they can lack basic understanding of the way films work, and in some cases might never actually watch movies outside of major blockbusters. That, or they're being obtuse on purpose.

Seldon

Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw the movie, and shockingly I really liked it! I was led to believe that this was some dumpster fire but I found myself liking it tremendously, far more than the JJ Abrams movie.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

An expression only says so much, I don't know what he's thinking. He looks in shock, which isn't unreasonable, or totally devoid of any emotion relating to what just happened which is what I get out of that. He just killed his dad and he feels nothing. I don't really care what the script says, it is what is shown that matters. I'm just perceiving this scene differently, I don't think we'll see eye to eye on this.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally saw the movie, and shockingly I really liked it! I was led to believe that this was some dumpster fire but I found myself liking it tremendously, far more than the JJ Abrams movie.

This isn't surprising, TLJ is much better than TFA, and this is coming from someone who loved TFA.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Let's back up. Do you understand why exit polling is considered unreliable?

You mean from the fivethirtyeight article on exit polling that shows up as the top research result on google?

Sure I do, of the 10 reasons given at least 7 reasons are specific to election day voting, democratic voters , or the nature of an election that has nothing to do with sampling of opinion for a movie in more controlled conditions.

Maybe you're new to this, but in an election there is an actual result and exist polling is an attempt to sample that result. A cinemascore is an attempt to sample audience opinion. There isn't an actual election for which movie is the president of the universe.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean from the fivethirtyeight article on exit polling that shows up as the top research result on google?

Sure I do, of the 10 reasons given at least 7 reasons are specific to election day voting, democratic voters , or the nature of an election that has nothing to do with sampling of opinion.

Maybe you're new to this, but in an election there is an actual result and exist polling is an attempt to sample that result. A cinemascore is an attempt to sample audience opinion. There isn't an actual election for which movie is the president of the universe.

Why are you just citing the article? Answer the question. I'm asking you about exit polling.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
An expression only says so much, I don't know what he's thinking. He looks in shock, which isn't unreasonable, or totally devoid of any emotion relating to what just happened which is what I get out of that. He just killed his dad and he feels nothing. I don't really care what the script says, it is what is shown that matters. I'm just perceiving this scene differently, I don't think we'll see eye to eye on this.
But then TLJ continues that idea.

Are you saying that both JJ and Rian are wrong with their interpretation of how they wrote and directed Kylo Ren? If they're both telling you he hadn't turned after killing Han, then maybe you're just wrong?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you just citing the article? Answer the question. I'm asking you about exit polling.
I did, 7 of the 10 reasons given are irrelevant.

And I added

please read before hitting respond.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

TLJ literally confirmed what the TFA script is saying in that post you quoted.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But then TLJ continues that idea.

Are you saying that both JJ and Rian are wrong with their interpretation of how they wrote and directed Kylo Ren? If they're both telling you he hadn't turned after killing Han, then maybe you're just wrong?
I think the poster basically already identified the issue was the interpretation.

I disagree with the poster's interpretation and evidence does go against it, but at the end of the day if someone interprets or sees a performance as a certain way it'll stay that way as a subjective opinion.