• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The first season of the mandalorian literally concludes with a quest to find the Jedi and Baby Yoda is undoubtedly the most popular character. Nothing the Mando does is as significant or badass as Baby Yoda using the force.

Yes and I said "not beholden" every step of the way as a lot of that series does its own thing for a good chunk of its run time. I also have stated that I don't mind the Jedi or the force but I do mind its rather hackneyed portrayal over the decades that has become incredibly repetitive and creatively bankrupt. The Mandalorian having the force being relegated to a baby character who is comic relief for a good portion works because its not the same old stilted monk nonsense.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Yes in the technical sense. For a thousand years the sith followed the rule of two until Palpatine used politics to secretly bring them back into power/destroy the Jedi order.
Also isn't that all Sith are dark side users but not all dark side users are Sith like for example the inquisitors. So they could still fight dark side users while the Sith are hidden during this era.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I think it would be great to offer an alternative to the Sith and Jedi - a third religion that is equally in touch with the Force and just as powerful with its users. Obviously most people will immediately consider a third faction in this sense to be a grey between Jedi and Sith, but that's not how I see it. We have so many religions in our own world, what's to stop Star Wars from having several more that are just as prominent and powerful as these two, regardless of whether they're good or bad? I'd be interested in seeing a different set of ideals.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I think it would be great to offer an alternative to the Sith and Jedi - a third religion that is equally in touch with the Force and just as powerful with its users. Obviously most people will immediately consider a third faction in this sense to be a grey between Jedi and Sith, but that's not how I see it. We have so many religions in our own world, what's to stop Star Wars from having several more that are just as prominent and powerful as these two, regardless of whether they're good or bad? I'd be interested in seeing a different set of ideals.
Like the nightsisters in TCW?

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Also isn't that all Sith are dark side users but not all dark side users are Sith like for example the inquisitors. So they could still fight dark side users while the Sith are hidden during this era.
Yes
Yeah I don't know why they keep intentionally avoiding this conclusion and making the jedi the be all end all. Dark Side has gotten Inquisitors, Nightsisters, Knights of Ren. The light has....Ahsoka.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Summary made by Star Wars Explained, YouTuber who was present at Project Luminous reveal.

https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/1232149269101965312?s=20
- The Jedi of the High Republic are the "Jedi Knights of the Round Table.
- The main villains are called the Nhil and are described as space Vikings.
- There will be stories for every type of Star Wars fan.
- The High Republic is 200 years before the prequels. "The Jedi as we've always wanted to see them."
- The idea for this massive connected story was pitched way back in 2014 .
- These are all unique stories, not the same story repeated for different ages.
- https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/1232154950999756801 Concept art
- The level of production that went into these stories was reminiscent of film pre-production.
- The Nihil are the main villains. They are purposefully meant to be VERY different than the Empire or the First Order.
- The Nihil are able to use hyperspace in a very dangerous way but that's all.
- A driving force behind #ProjectLuminous was "New, new, new. What have we never seen in Star Wars that still feels like Star Wars."
- Light of the Jedi by @CharlesSoule is the first book, coming out August 25. Will establish the era and kick off the adventure.
- The Wookiee Jedi is named Burryagga Aggathuri. I'm sure I misspelled that .
- We're going to see The Great Disaster. Something terrible is going to happen at the opening of the novel. Something awful happening in a time of peace and prosperity.
- A Test of Courage is a middle grade book by @justinaireland. The main character is a sixteen year old Jedi Knight. She says it's more serious than her previous stories.
- The High Republic comic from @Marvel will be written by @cavanscott. It will center on Starlight Station.
- Into the Dark by @claudiagray.
- The High Republic Adventures comic from @IDWPublishing is by @djolder.
- Everything we've heard about so far is just "Phase One" of the High Republic. More stories and more licensees are coming.
- We are going to learn a lot more between now and August 25.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think its time for some of yall to admit that you don't like SW anymore... and that is totally fine. It must be exhausting to keep complaining about the same franchise since 2015 (or whenever Disney took over), but I guess people have invested too many years of their life into being a SW fan lol.

edit: plus they explicitly said that not all stories would focus on the jedi.

edit 2: and if youre still hating on it.. you can ignore it.. the press release states future films and tv series won't be set in this era.

edit 3: also all of yall wanting SW to explore new stuff and at the same time asking for a KOTOR adaptation will never not be hilarious.
Well said. I do wish the people who do NOTHING but moan about SW would piss off.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The problem is Disney is obsessed with mining the very last drops of every single creative ideas George Lucas ever had.

Even the High Republics just seems like the prequel trilogy part deux vs the the ST which was the OT part deux. They're trapped and have no faith in the writers they have. They won't even take some of Lucas new ideas either so they're just mining decade old ideas to depletion.

The first High Republic book aint even out yet and ppl already saying this lmao

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Marvel formula can work with Star Wars (with several movies that have interconnected, but also individual stories that ultimately lead to a finale). But it has to be all new stuff. For example, you can't really do this same formula with established characters like Han, or Lando, or mon mothma or whatever other legacy characters they've recast in the modern day. Well, you could, but there's so much restraint there.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rm3KYe2ubxaNST1CMGih_NNu8v63kQ1Maufw7c6B--w.jpg

"University"
"Rival houses"

Finally we Star Wars: Three Houses now

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
*Speaks in the voice of The Client from The Mandalorian* I would very much like a movie or tv series about Rogue Squadron.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Book summaries:

Light of the Jedi

Two hundred years before the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, in the era of the glorious High Republic, the noble and wise Jedi Knights must face a frightening threat to themselves, the galaxy, and the Force itself. . . .

Into the Dark

Padawan Reath Silas is being sent from the cosmopolitan galactic capital of Coruscant to the undeveloped frontier—and he couldn't be less happy about it. He'd rather stay at the Jedi Temple, studying the archives. But when the ship he's traveling on is knocked out of hyperspace in a galactic-wide disaster, Reath finds himself at the center of the action. The Jedi and their traveling companions find refuge on what appears to be an abandoned space station. But then strange things start happening, leading the Jedi to investigate the truth behind the mysterious station, a truth that could end in tragedy….

A Test of Courage

When a transport ship is abruptly kicked out of hyperspace as part of a galaxy-wide disaster, newly-minted teen Jedi Vernestra Rwoh, a young Padawan, an audacious tech-kid, and the son of an ambassador are stranded on a jungle moon where they must work together to survive both the dangerous terrain and a hidden danger lurking in the shadows….

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Im expecting this "great disaster" and the Nihil using "hyperspace in a dangerous way" to just be an excuse for them to go "Thats why you can't just use the Holdo maneuver everywhere"

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So it's safe to assume that at some point later down the line of the: High Republic some event will take place that will lead the Jedi to become as they were in the PT, right?

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
So it's safe to assume that at some point later down the line of the: High Republic some event will take place that will lead the Jedi to become as they were in the PT, right?
Is there any point? They just got complacent which left room for certain insidious individuals to wiggle their way in and take over. When everything is peaceful and you stop watching your back its a perfect opportunity for soneone to stab you in it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point? They just got complacent which left room for certain insidious individuals to wiggle their way in and take over. When everything is peaceful and you stop watching your back its a perfect opportunity for soneone to stab you in it.

Suppose that could be true. I guess it just depends on they present the Jedi in these books. Like do they really seem like they could easily fall into complacently or does it seem like something would have to spur that on?

Edit: Like are these Jedi also all about having complete control over emotions and thus unable to love? Or is that just a PT-Jedi thing?

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is ludicrous and laughable that with the famous phrase "for a thousand generations" and long lived characters like Yoda and Maz popping around, and inspirations like the Knights of the Round Table and Vikings and Greece they are only going 200 years ago. I don't know why but that makes this feel immediately like a poorly planned idea.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it all looks dope and am digging the concept but yeah only 200 years ago, wonder why they wouldn't think it'd take place a little further back? like 400-500 years. Maybe Hidalgo was there and was like "Ehhh, actually guys.."? lmao

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
for a thousand generations.... lets go back 20.
with aliens and species that live longer than humans, what is a star wars generation range? earth generations range from 10-15 years or so, and that's only considering the "you were all born around the same time" angle. Generations also kinda makes you think about the whole life span of that group not just the period of time when they were born. A thousand generations could be like 10,000 years or more. i don't know why but this makes me extremely skeptical.

at least the concept art looks very fun.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Looks promising so please dont screw this up again with a kinda clean slate of an era.

Wished it was Old Repulblic though considering this is only 400 years what could just feel like yesterday.

Also it gives them a opportunity to bring a bunch of characters that have a long life back what i dont like. Dont need teenager Yoda.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So which ones aren't aimed at kids or young adults?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about this, the more uninspired I think it is.
I don't disagree with this.

I don't think it helps that this is only set 200 years before TPM.

I would've much preferred if they had gone WAY back, explored the birth of the Jedi, the reason the Sith exist (what brought on that disagreement in philosophy?), and then get into the politics of the galaxy at that time (maybe the formation of the Republic?).

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with this.

I don't think it helps that this is only set 200 years before TPM.

I would've much preferred if they had gone WAY back, explored the birth of the Jedi, the reason the Sith exist (what brought on that disagreement in philosophy?), and then get into the politics of the galaxy at that time (maybe the formation of the Republic?).
This sounds like live action material. The HR era is strictly for comic books, novels and other publishing efforts.

Plus there were rumors that the D&D series were going to explore the prime(first) jedi etc. According to insiders LF never dropped those concepts when D&D left.

edit:
This period on the Star Wars timeline will not overlap any of the filmed features or series currently planned for production, giving creators and partners a vast amount of room to tell Star Wars stories with new adventures and original characters.

www.starwars.com

Lucasfilm to Launch Star Wars: The High Republic Publishing Campaign in 2021

New stories will explore the Star Wars galaxy set 200 years before the events of The Phantom Menace.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
It is ludicrous and laughable that with the famous phrase "for a thousand generations" and long lived characters like Yoda and Maz popping around, and inspirations like the Knights of the Round Table and Vikings and Greece they are only going 200 years ago. I don't know why but that makes this feel immediately like a poorly planned idea.
I think ultimately it's because this is a low consequence move for publishing that gives them a little more freedom to stretch while keeping the juicy eras clean and clear for film and TV development.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like live action material. The HR era is strictly for comic books, novels and other publishing efforts.

Plus there were rumors that the D&D series were going to explore the prime(first) jedi etc. According to insiders LF never dropped those concepts when D&D left.

edit:

www.starwars.com

Lucasfilm to Launch Star Wars: The High Republic Publishing Campaign in 2021

New stories will explore the Star Wars galaxy set 200 years before the events of The Phantom Menace.
Ah that's good to know.

I still think that it's weird they went with only 200 years before, when the effort is to give them space to create. Why not go 500? or 1000?

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think ultimately it's because this is a low consequence move for publishing that gives them a little more freedom to stretch while keeping the juicy eras clean and clear for film and TV development.
you are probably absolutely correct.

It just feels wrong to me that when they cite inspirations like Knights of the Round Table, Vikings, and Greece which are far longer ago in Earth' history, that the 200 years ago Old West time period wins the timeline placement. When you have a thousand generations to explore, that could theoretically be like 10,000 years or more, going back only 200 years seems baffling.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well sounds like that will be the case, in which case all of this is whatever. It's sort of a boring era to explore and doesn't sound like they plan on rocking the boat though.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is already a setting where the Jedi become a myth people doubt even existed in less than two decades. History and memory works differently in it.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The Era isn't what makes a story boring. The story and the telling of it is what makes it boring. I see so many great creative people involved in this. No reason to think less of it right now. I'll wait to read these to judge them.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
Well sounds like that will be the case, in which case all of this is whatever. It's sort of a boring era to explore and doesn't sound like they plan on rocking the boat though.
Yeah, just from an era standpoint it feels inert.

However, I don't quite want to discount it completely. Folks like Charles Soule and Claudia Grey are very decent storytellers, and ultimately it's the characters and stories that matter. If they can make something interesting that would be great. It's just coming out the gate, this doesn't feel all that exciting.

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars is already a setting where the Jedi become a myth people doubt even existed in less than two decades. History and memory works differently in it.
I understand that and would often talk about that very thing when defending the setups for TFA and TLJ, but for some reason this time it's just not clicking right with me.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I agree but also 200 years seems like a short amount of time. It makes me wonder if the writers wanted a a bigger time difference but Lucasfilm wanted some familiar elements still