• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
meh, don't care about this period at all. Go ancient ancient or move the story into the future. Though TRoS kinda made me not give a fuck about the future either.

Honestly just reboot Star Wars. Or delete it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
For the Jedi knowing about the Rule of Two to make sense they need to see an apprentice killing the master and then the apprentice faking his death.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they make technology seem older.

One of the big thing that kind of sucked about stuff in the old EU Old Republic was that the technology didn't really ever seem old.

(I know some will say the Prequels did the same but I feel like that can be chalked up to a galaxy prospering vs a galaxy ruled under an iron fist).

Make this High Republic feel old.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
What if...all this time...it was the Rule of Three? :O

George you did it again. Working from beyond the limitations that you're in.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The Sith ruled before TPM how could they not see them? that's what the old republic was all about.
That's the exact reason for why I posted that LMAO

Like I know I'm not a writer or a director so I understand if there some poetic reason for why Yoda was told about Order 66. But still.....why?

Why would Yoda just not tell anyone? I'm sure the answer is some sort of "ends justify the means" trope but I just couldn't wrap my head around it when I rewatched CW recently lol.

As much as people like to joke about the Jedi being spectacularly bad at being good during the PT era, I'm confident that this great disaster would never be what I wrote XD.
It's not even just him refusing to tell anyone, or that Qui Jonn lived, it's the part where based on the CW, Fallen Order, etc. multiple jedi had visions about order 66 happening and the council never entertained their concerns.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
200 years ago.......
giphy.gif

That puts it in the time frame for.....
tenor.gif

BABY. CHEWY.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, anything proposed that takes place before the Skywalkers is gonna be cursed because we all know how it all ultimately ends up. So the Jedi fight Space Viking 200 years before TPM. So what? Whatever they did 200 years ago has zero bearing in the saga we know about so much we never heard from them every again and the Jedi become a bunch of lame ass wimps that go extinct by the end of it all. Fuck, I've already lost interest. Fucking move on into the future or make up some bullshit and create an alternate universe already.
????

If they tell stories that make you emotionally invested in the characters the timeline shouldn't matter... its just a backdrop for storytellers do try something new.

Star Wars should always be character driven, not plot driven.

Also judging by this post you probably hate every prequel in existence lol.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's not even just him refusing to tell anyone, or that Qui Jonn lived, it's the part where based on the CW, Fallen Order, etc. multiple jedi had visions about order 66 happening and the council never entertained their concerns.
This too!!!

It's like almost everyone BUT the main characters and the Jedi Council knew about Order 66. I know that the Jedi were arrogant and that led to their downfall, but surely SOMEONE in the council would be open to listen and report about this mysterious plot.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they make technology seem older.

One of the big thing that kind of sucked about stuff in the old EU Old Republic was that the technology didn't really ever seem old.

(I know some will say the Prequels did the same but I feel like that can be chalked up to a galaxy prospering vs a galaxy ruled under an iron fist).

Make this High Republic feel old.

It's only 200 years before TPM. The tech will be pretty similar.

We already have a book that takes place during Dooku's youth which is like, what, 60 years before TPM? And there's essentially no difference.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's only 200 years before TPM. The tech will be pretty similar.

We already have a book that takes place during Dooku's youth which is like, what, 60 years before TPM? And there's essentially no difference.

That is true. Still, I imagine we will see some older versions of technology from the PT.

To which even then if this is PT-like in it's aesthetic..? That's all fine with me cause that's my favorite. I hope we see many fantastic worlds and such.

200 years before TPM would the Jedi Temple still be on Coruscant?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is true. Still, I imagine we will see some older versions of technology from the PT.

To which even then if this is PT-like in it's aesthetic..? That's all fine with me cause that's my favorite. I hope we see many fantastic worlds and such.

200 years before TPM would the Jedi Temple still be on Coruscant?
The temple was constructed 1000 years before the movies.
starwars.fandom.com

1019 BBY

The following events occurred in 1019 BBY. Johun Othone on Sermeria Darth Bane: Rule of Two (Indirect mention only) Darth Bane: Rule of Two audiobook (Indirect mention only)

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Where are the Jobbers of Ren, they were a bunch of wannabe viking pirate assholes.

These Nihl guys look like they're gonna end up getting beaten up so hard they retreat to Tatooine and become the Tuskan Raiders

I doubt it's still canon, but, Tusken Raiders use to be a mega advanced society until they glassed the planet with some super nuke, and so they started hating technology.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it's still canon, but, Tusken Raiders use to be a mega advanced society until they glassed the planet with some super nuke, and so they started hating technology.
Actually it was the Rakata Infinite Empire who nuked Tatooine to oblivion because the TR rebelled against them. The survivors went to live in caves until the surface was habitable again.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This High Republic stuff looks cool. As people have already said, the High Republic is pretty much begging to have an RPG set in it.

OP
OP
Ryan.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, OP has gotten a makeover. I'm sure there's something I missed but I think covered the basics.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
So is this replacing the Old Republic in canon (assuming that it remains canon) ? Because seeing no ship designs, barely any technology, and seeing terms like Arthurian Legends/Vikings/Texas Ranger bandied about, makes me think we're less technologically advanced than in that era.

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like a weird choice to me to say "massive interconnected story", and then have that story being told across demographic spanning media that's not meant to please everyone.

You've got the YA novel, then another novel that seems to be aimed even younger, and then an "adult" novel. Plus 2 comic series, one aimed at younger kids, and another aimed at more general audiences?

I know it's become the norm for Star Wars to have this thing where you watch the movies, and then also a lot of relevant plot points happen in the kids tv show. But this seems like a reach, unless you can just read the "adult" novel and not get a bunch of "well ACTUALLY this character and their motivations are fleshed out in the kids book" type moments. And on the flip side, will younger kids get a full fledged story experience, without reading the older skewing book?

Last edited:

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder if Feige has any part to play in all this.
I felt like they kinda lay the blueprint for a MCU type of storytelling for the High Republic.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying the idea of a split blade lightsaber, it's silly and doesn't have any real benefit, but who cares, some will really like how it looks cool to them and that will sell a toy/prop someday.

untitled-1mtjux.jpg

No game?

Or will that be a future kotor thing based on this era

Just the novels and comics for this specific project. Since all canon Star Wars media has to fit each other as one shared continuity, a future game set in this time period would be built off things established in these stories in some way, but nothing planned (as far as we know) at the moment for gaming.

Any future game would be much healthier for having an established foundation to work off of though, especially a RPG.

too yellow-ish. I want traffic cone orange.

I prefer churro orange.

lightsaber-churros.jpg

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Glad to see a new, canonized time period where Jedi are flourishing that isn't just a KotOR retread since I'm still of a mind that Jedi are the most interesting thing about this universe. Comics as a medium require too much of a money investment and a time investment (weekly/monthly releases over the course of years gets exhausting to follow) for me to commit to, but I'm pretty excited to at least read the novels.

I just hope the amount of push this initiative is receiving doesn't mean the SW franchise (movies, shows, games) as a whole is going to be confined to this specific time period. I'm kind of over the idea of prequels in my science fiction franchises. Please move the story forward

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is utterly stupid. 200 years back with how slow SW tech progression is? This feels somewhat creatively bankrupt.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Same. The era doesn't draw me in at all. Hard pass from me.

It really depends on the story, but yeah, its hard to get too excited when you know that, no matter what these characters do, only a couple centuries later the Republic will become corrupt and ineffective, the Jedi will all turn into morons, and the Sith will stay hidden until they kill them all.

This is utterly stupid. 200 years back with how slow SW tech progression is? This feels somewhat creatively bankrupt.

I mean, after TROS I thought we'd be used to that by now...

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It really depends on the story, but yeah, its hard to get too excited when you know that, no matter what these characters do, only a couple centuries later the Republic will become corrupt and ineffective, the Jedi will all turn into morons, and the Sith will stay hidden until they kill them all.
I mean at this point you probably have an 800+ year old Yoda on the Jedi Council. This is the lamest era they could have tackled outside of maybe the immediate preceding years to TPM.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I wish Star Wars would just move away from Jedi and The Force. This just seemsc incredibly boring.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Interesting. At least slightly.

I think they might be limiting themselves a little too much by setting up tent so close the TPM. By now, Star Wars tends to stay the same more than it changes and suddenly you're only operating with a 50 year time gap and that's basically nothing in sci-fi.

Otherwise the Jedi design looks like it might be inspired by the crusades?
Could factor in the storY or the themes too.
The huge space station standing in for something like Jerusalem where cultures clash and fight over it.

That being said, I haven't read much about the premise and am only going by the first impressions some of your comments and the images leave me with.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
While i can appreciate them mixing it up a bit it seems to me more like a reskin than something that is taking actual risks and telling a fresh story. We shall see I suppose

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Fuck it, I'm all in.
Finally, moving away from the movies timeline. I've wanted this ever since TFA came out.