• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think the more interesting aspect here is that Aspyr not doing the 360/PS3 versions for Switch might mean someone else is already working on doing new ports of TFU.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the more interesting aspect here is that Aspyr not doing the 360/PS3 versions for Switch might mean someone else is already working on doing new ports of TFU.

It'd be interesting to see what form that'd take. I have to imagine it'd only hit PS4/5 since the original is 4K (dunno how the fps offhand) via X enhancement on Xbox via BC.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I'd actually love to see more Krome games get Switch remasters like this. I only played the ELB-developed 3rd game (and loved it), but I'd love to play the first two Krome-made Legend of Spyro games.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Wii version makes sense; may as well port over the version of the game with all the baked-in motion controls.

I haven't played any of the Force Unleashed titles, but I'll probably check this one out on sale for shits/giggles.

Edit: Kinda a shame they didn't bundle it up with the sequel, but gotta get that cash I guess.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Wii version is the only one with this bad boy:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kleef#Early_life
latest

Thus it's superior anyways. I remember having fun with it.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The HD version was developed in-house by LucasArts themselves. It was their big project through the 00s.

I suspect a combination of:
A minimising of legal issues (ie, they get the version previously published on a Nintendo platform, rather than have to make a new contract for the different port)
Maximising potential performance on the mobile hardware
Available developers. Particularly Krome - they'll be very much looking to get any work they can (can't just Kickstart Ty games forever)
The Switch would have no problem running the 360 version at 1080p 60fps

It was probably for motion controls

Oct 27, 2017
Although it's missing the "family-to-rebel insignia" scene from the ps360 version, its cutscene direction, jedi temple level, and immersive (enough for the time, anyways, before the vr systems of the 2010s) controls made the Wii version the superior experience. Yes I've played both.

Also, if you've seen Rebels and not played this game, you're gonna be going "wait, isn't this just..." a lot as you work through the story.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Never played this game, but why the Wii one of all versions? That's like SEGA making a remaster of Sonic Unleashed on Wii.

That's a poor example. For all intents, the Wii version of The Force Unleashed appears to be a proper, if not downgraded visually, version of the game. I honestly can't say as I haven't played either to compare.

Sonic Unleashed on the Wii & PS2 is just a piss-poor game farted out in a few months to have a SKU to sell on the then-most popular platform.

UltraChingon

Oct 26, 2017
I remember them being very different games but its been a long wile(wii versions vs HD versions). Looked for a recent video into the differences and was pleasantly surprised. Did not know about the psp missions and I hope they come over for a complete package.

Coffey

Nov 2, 2017
Much preferred the Wii/PS2 version - better level design and several more levels; the dual mode was a lot of fun too.

The motion controls were fun and worked very well. Although you could blunder yourself way through (as I did), pulling off combos through gestures made life easier later in the game and felt satisfying.

The PS3/360 looked a lot nicer but wasn't as much fun and quite buggy. Jumping into a rock and not being able to get out was my most memorable technical issue.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
In fairness, a remaster of the Wii/PS2 versions of Sonic Unleashed would be better than a remaster of the 360/PS3 versions, even if it'd be missing a few daytime levels.

^^^^^

Y'all forgot how terrible daytime levels in Unleashed Wii were. Literally wide as hell paths with nothing but some turns to drift.

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that it's this version. I'd love to see the 360/PS3 versions remastered at some point - I never got around to the second game...

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So The Force Unleashed on Wii was the superior version as well?

Kinda off-topic, but the Werehog levels in the Wii version of Unleashed were far more tolerable. More platforming than brawling, less stiff controls and the levels weren't even half as long as in the PS360 version. Which is absolutely a good thing, considering how many of them are present and how dragged out they are.
The day time stages in Sonic Unleashed Wii were ass.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played the Wii version of TFU but it wouldn't take much for it to be better than the HD version. The HD version, in my memory, was kind of a technical marvel with cool environmental interactions (shattering trees with force push) and rag doll physics (force choking stormtroopers), but it played like a PS2 budget hack and slash with extremely bullet (lightsaber?) sponge enemies. The Dark Troopers or whatever took ages to kill. And the QTE segments had terrible button prompts that ruined cool scenes like pulling down a star destroyer.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The HD version was developed in-house by LucasArts themselves. It was their big project through the 00s.

I suspect a combination of:
A minimising of legal issues (ie, they get the version previously published on a Nintendo platform, rather than have to make a new contract for the different port)
Maximising potential performance on the mobile hardware
Available developers. Particularly Krome - they'll be very much looking to get any work they can (can't just Kickstart Ty games forever)
If there were any content differences between the versions, there's also the fact that this is, in part, a nostalgia grab, so they likely want the version they think most of the Switch's install base has played.

UltraChingon

Oct 26, 2017
TFU 2 wii version lost what made TLU 1 good. This is all coming from a 2 videos I watched, did not play 2 on wii I did on 360. At the time I finally got a 360 so went for HD version and never got it on the wii version. Also did not know there where different till many years later lol. Regardless I am pretty hyped to play this again

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
Force Unleased was a great announcement in the direct, just got this pre-ordered. Now we just need the OG Battlefront II and the Rogue Squadron trilogy on Switch next!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Yea I remember hearing the Wii version was different (and better) back in the day. Excited to give it a shot as I've only played the 360 version.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I've seen a lot of consensus over the years around the krome versions being better in terms of game play, level design and bosses. It's a bit of a Splinter Cell Double Agent situation.

Call it player preference. I think it's mine too, it's been awhile.

Force Unleashed 2 is a little more black and white and was generally poorly received, I guess it had a troubled and/or short development cycle. The exception is the Wii version made by Red Fly Studios which is supposed to be quite good in relative terms for the platform, not phenomenal but serviceable. I think some critics compared it favorably on release too. I'm talking from my ass though - it's just the only version I've consistently heard good things about.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Force Unleashed 2 on Wii was by Red Fly Studio (Mushroom Men) and Steel Penny Games (formed by an ex-Naughty Dog and Metroid Prime 1 programmer).

Folks seemed to like it. Here's Matt McMuscles vid on it:

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Force Unleashed kind of sucked on 360/PS3/PC, but I may be interested in trying this version

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I wonder how this will be received by modern audiences. At the time I was so excited by a dark take on Star Wars, but looking back on it now it really suffers from the "buzzcut male protagonist" edge that a lot of PS360 games fell victim too. I do remember enjoying flinging people off cliffs and such, and the story is neat in a fanfic kinda way. I could be misremembering but there was a big push back in the day to make this feel like official canon, there was a comic, a LEGO set, all sorts of expanded material.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I want a new Force Unleashed. I was disappointed by Jedi Fallen Order's combat being too Souls-like, I'd like another hack and slash take on the Jedi formula.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how this will be received by modern audiences. At the time I was so excited by a dark take on Star Wars, but looking back on it now it really suffers from the "buzzcut male protagonist" edge that a lot of PS360 games fell victim too. I do remember enjoying flinging people off cliffs and such, and the story is neat in a fanfic kinda way. I could be misremembering but there was a big push back in the day to make this feel like official canon, there was a comic, a LEGO set, all sorts of expanded material.

My favorite part about the marketing push was that the game was delayed twice. So there were action figures of these random tertiary characters sitting on shelves several months before the game launched.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Interested in this as I liked the Wii version, but it's absolutely way too expensive for me considering I paid like 2 quid more than this for the Wii version like 13 years ago lol.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
For those curious, I found good longplays of both the Wii and PS2 versions so you can directly compare how both looked. And the Wii version absolutely has the upper hand in lighting and particle effects, plus better shadows than the PS2 version, and even better textures too.

Wii:

PS2:

Also found this vid comparing the Wii version to the Switch trailer:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
These are the games that are worth remastering

Pls remaster more games that were not played a lot

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
For those curious, I found good longplays of both the Wii and PS2 versions so you can directly compare how both looked. And the Wii version absolutely has the upper hand in lighting and particle effects, plus better shadows than the PS2 version, and even better textures too.

Wii:

PS2:

Also found this vid comparing the Wii version to the Switch trailer:

Thanks for sharing these! The biggest advantage for the Switch is definitely resolution, but the textures and lighting look better as well. I can't wait for this!

May 15, 2019
Strange decision but given the original is available on PC having a higher resolution version of the "old gen" version is the way more interesting outcome. I think about replaying the "core" version every now and then but maybe I'll try this version for the first time with the remaster.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ideally we would have a "definitive version" combining the best of each version (like Nightdive did with Powerslave), but I guess that would be too expensive for this.

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
The best part of The Force Unleashed Wii was the 2 player battle mode, that alone put it heads and shoulders above the HD versions.

It's too bad they didn't make a definitive version that combined the higher detail and extra bombast of the HD versions (Kashyyyk looks a lot better) with the better features, extra levels, motion control, and in-engine cutscenes of the SD versions.

TFU 2 wii version lost what made TLU 1 good. This is all coming from a 2 videos I watched, did not play 2 on wii I did on 360. At the time I finally got a 360 so went for HD version and never got it on the wii version. Also did not know there where different till many years later lol. Regardless I am pretty hyped to play this again

TFU 2 sadly did not iterate on the battle mode and instead replaced it with a Smash Bros clone, which was okay but didn't get as much interest since Melee was on the same system.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the buzzcut male to a sexualized anime kid any day of the week.