• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
My only problem with this episode is that it covered a lot of the same ground as the last, where they rescued the CIS senator who didn't go along with the empire

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This story arc is a nice bridge between The Clone Wars and Rebels.

What's dumb is that they've already met Kanan, too, cause it's the smallest galaxy ever. That still bugs me.

Yeah it's kinda annoying how small things are. Kanan feels a bit like an outlier though. If they're smuggling stuff they're going to run into other smugglers, many of whom at this point in the timeline are likely to be early Rebel adjacent. Meeting Hera/Rex seems reasonable. Cid was apparently a Jedi contact so it's not too out there that the circles would cross.

Hopefully this is it for cameos, unless characters are connected to people we've already met. Bad Batch should get to build up its own supporting cast for a bit.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
How many episodes is this season? It feels like we're running out of time for a boba cameo before his show comes out

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that the best episode of Bad Batch doesn't have much Bad Batch

Also is it me or is the blue clone acting too human compared to the other 66th clones. Did something happened to his chip

Also i realized that Omega is probably older than her new dads

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Also is it me or is the blue clone acting too human compared to the other 66th clones. Did something happened to his chip

Chip is "Fuck dem Jedi" and "Obey the empire" maybe they're still good with allies

Or maybe it's a plot point

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Even without the Jedi around the chip ought to make the clones behave more aggressively and subservient to orders. This Commander Howzer guy is acting as if his chip was never activated.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Chip is "Fuck dem Jedi" and "Obey the empire" maybe they're still good with allies

Or maybe it's a plot point
I mean hot blue clone also hesitated and even bended the rules for Hera dad who seems to have a relationship with. He even straight up questioned orders given

He doesn't seem to be have the unflinching loyalty that we've seen from clones like Crosshair and Bad batch noted that the clones after 66 were acting unlike themselves

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, something is up with Howzer. He still has his painted armor, custom haircut, uses his given name, and isn't as slavishly bound to imperial regulations. Maybe its because he and Cham have worked together a long time? Yet he still has the chip.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Howzers issue I think is a simple one. Cham was the "General" for the Clonetroopers on Ryloth. There was no order to turn on Cham. So its also going to be another notch in the Get rid of Clones argument being made. They have too much loyalty to those they served with and who commanded them if they were not Jedi.

The Admiral isn't stupid he is clearly seeing what's going on and its probably why he doubles down on Howzer going after Hera instead of Crosshair. He is setting up the clones to fail and defy orders.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Howzers issue I think is a simple one. Cham was the "General" for the Clonetroopers on Ryloth. There was no order to turn on Cham. So its also going to be another notch in the Get rid of Clones argument being made. They have too much loyalty to those they served with and who commanded them if they were not Jedi.

The Admiral isn't stupid he is clearly seeing what's going on and its probably why he doubles down on Howzer going after Hera instead of Crosshair. He is setting up the clones to fail and defy orders.
Rampart did give a look when he saw How zer being horrified

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Yeah she's probably around Boba's age

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the Bad Batch have her beat by a few years.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
this episode had really good clouds

good to see Hera again, i was wondering the other day when she'd turn up in canon materials again
She was just in Star Wars: Squadrons (an EA dogfighting game), released last year.
She's also a fairly major character in the Alphabet Squadron trilogy (which overlaps with and references Squadrons).

She's pretty much guaranteed to show up in the Mandoverse too.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha

I think this is the most likely explanation. If there are no Jedi then they follow orders and he was not in the normal chain of command, so his loyalties lie elsewhere. He will be used as a scapegoat to get rid of clones, though if this one arc goes on I could see him being the next one to have his chip removed.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC in the comics and other materials, I think Order 66 is not a permanent thing, I want to say some clones either came to regret their actions as time passed or were able to overcome the chip's conditioning so I wouldn't be surprised if Howzer fit into one of those categories

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
IIRC in the comics and other materials, I think Order 66 is not a permanent thing, I want to say some clones either came to regret their actions as time passed or were able to overcome the chip's conditioning so I wouldn't be surprised if Howzer fit into one of those categories

In Rebels, Kanan implies Clones went public with what happened.

So maybe their not controlled forever

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
In Rebels, Kanan implies Clones went public with what happened.

So maybe their not controlled forever

I really hope we see Disney explore the perspective of the clones coming off of Order 66, I can't even imagine how fucked up psychologically the clones would be. They also deserve some form of justice for the shit they endured.

We STILL need to see Gregor and Wolffe lose their chip as well.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I really hope we see Disney explore the perspective of the clones coming off of Order 66, I can't even imagine how fucked up psychologically the clones would be. They also deserve some form of justice for the shit they endured.

We STILL need to see Gregor and Wolffe lose their chip as well.
Yeah, get the feeling that those 2(and likely several others who didn't survive to the rebels era, want to say Rex implied not all who got the chips removed were lucky enough to evade dust ups). Definitely some material to cover

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show visually continues to impress. Disney finally decided it was ok to give the shows a budget like Lucas did. I honestly would not mind a few movies animated like this. Do some random legends or Expanded Universe tales. Doesn't need to be some big part of the Saga

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
She's also a fairly major character in the Alphabet Squadron trilogy (which overlaps with and references Squadrons).

She's pretty much guaranteed to show up in the Mandoverse too.
Yup, Alphabet is some of the best writing in new canon.

It does seem like they are ramping up to a live action appearance. It would be neat if Vanessa Marshall got to play her, but I can see why they might go for a familiar face.

Feb 24, 2018
Finished watching the episode and somethings been bugging me about the end of it.

Am I the only one who thought the show was trying to make Rampart look bad by having do a false surrender... The same war crime (and one that is a form of perfidy and violates protocol 1of the Geneva Convention because it makes actual surrender impossible) Anakin and Obi-Wan committed several times throughout the Clone Wars (even in the Pilot movie) and no one mentioned the serious ethical problems with it?

That was actually an issue I had with the original Clone Wars that besides Krell, the Jedi's acts were never called out on unless the character saying it was also evil/fallen to the Dark Side (like Barriss) even though it always felt like perfect fuel for Palpatine to use against him or even non-corrupt politicians wanting to end the war. It feels a bit double standard that NOW it's considered bad.

To be clear, the Empire is flat out evil and Rampart is a dick.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching the episode and somethings been bugging me about the end of it.

Am I the only one who thought the show was trying to make Rampart look bad by having do a false surrender... The same war crime (and one that is a form of perfidy and violates protocol 1of the Geneva Convention because it makes actual surrender impossible) Anakin and Obi-Wan committed several times throughout the Clone Wars (even in the Pilot movie) and no one mentioned the serious ethical problems with it?

That was actually an issue I had with the original Clone Wars that besides Krell, the Jedi's acts were never called out on unless the character saying it was also evil/fallen to the Dark Side (like Barriss) even though it always felt like perfect fuel for Palpatine to use against him or even non-corrupt politicians wanting to end the war. It feels a bit double standard that NOW it's considered bad.

To be clear, the Empire is flat out evil and Rampart is a dick.
I don't think it's that deep Rampart looks bad because he shot his own ally in order to get an excuse to depose of a popular and well meaning leader who had his people best interest to remove whatever autonomy it would have had

I don't think the fake surrender itself what was being framed as bad especially when the good guys do it too

Also Star wars doesn't have a geneva convention lol

Feb 24, 2018
Also Star wars doesn't have a geneva convention lol

It doesn't but it does have a similar thing (The Yavin code) and the Clone Wars went on about the Separatists war crimes (which is fair, especially series in Season 1 where they did do seriously messed up crap like making a plague or testing super weapons on civilians) but yet when Jedi also did it with fake surrender, it never gets called out or considered anything but good when in reality, fake surrenders have led to loss of life and tragedy and something not to be glorified, there is a reason why it's part of the Geneva Convention.

Yes I get it that Rampart ordering the assassination is the more evil thing but it felt to me the false surrender was also being treated as bad which just felt off to me when The Clone Wars never treated it as such.

jgminto

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Clone Wars has always tried to indicate that the Republic was never actually that different from the Empire, at least in the state we've seen it. The largest difference between the two seems to be the veneer of bloated beurocracy the Senate portrays.

There were multiple times where the Republic or Jedi would commit what would clearly be considered war crimes. The scene where the Jedi essentially torture Cad Bane for information comes to mind and even Ashoka is shocked by it at the time but is presented as a necessary action.

Looking at the time the show was made, I don't think it's absurd to read that as a reaction to US war crimes post 9/11 and how they were presented as necessary for the safety of the country, greater good, etc by the US government and certain media when they obviously wouldn't if they were commited by a non-ally. We know that period influenced Lucas as he was making the prequel trilogy as well.

So I think it makes sense that we're kind of seeing two different perspectives on these actions, with and without that political veneer. We don't even have the wartime propaganda narration anymore, funnily enough

Feb 24, 2018
I think the Clone Wars has always tried to indicate that the Republic was never actually that different from the Empire, at least in the state we've seen it. The largest difference between the two seems to be the veneer of bloated beurocracy the Senate portrays.

There were multiple times where the Republic or Jedi would commit what would clearly be considered war crimes. The scene where the Jedi essentially torture Cad Bane for information comes to mind and even Ashoka is shocked by it at the time but is presented as a necessary action.

Looking at the time the show was made, I don't think it's absurd to read that as a reaction to US war crimes post 9/11 and how they were presented as necessary for the safety of the country, greater good, etc by the US government and certain media when they obviously wouldn't if they were commited by a non-ally. We know that period influenced Lucas as he was making the prequel trilogy as well.

So I think it makes sense that we're kind of seeing two different perspectives on these actions, with and without that political veneer. We don't even have the wartime propaganda narration anymore, funnily enough
Great post. One of things I always remember is the "Bring in the flamethrowers" scene from the Geonosis arc and going WTF!

jgminto

Oct 25, 2017
Great post. One of things I always remember is the "Bring in the flamethrowers" scene from the Geonosis arc and going WTF!
I think in the behind the scenes of those episodes, George really wanted them to take inspiration from a lot of war films which definitely comes through a lot in the actions of the Republic forces.

By the way, I'd recommend giving the podcast A More Civilized Age a listen if you're interested in that kind of aspect of the original show. It's a fortnightly show where they watch a handful of episodes, usually a contained arc when possible, and get pretty deep into discussing the show. It's definitely made me think about characters in the show in different ways from when I first watch it, and it's also just a really fun show to boot.

Oct 25, 2017
Dear God can we get Rebels Remastered at some point?
I loved everything about that series but Jesus does it comparatively look bad.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Dave Filoni returns!

Dave is everywhere now
F1265_PROD_SW_BL_TRAPPER_WOLF_06_Online_2000SQ_2000x.jpg

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Aside from being the creator and producer, I wonder how involved Filoni actually is since he has no directing credits on the show so far and has only been a writer for the premiere episode.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Aside from being the creator and producer, I wonder how involved Filoni actually is since he has no directing credits on the show so far and has only been a writer for the premiere episode.
I'd imagine with Bad Batch he's effectively working in the same role George had with Clone Wars. Oversight/approval and a general guide for the series, but letting his show runner and their team have a fair bit of leeway in execution and individual storylines. Right now he's probably still most directly working on Mandoverse.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would imagine that FIloni for the most part has moved upto Lucas Status for the most part. He oversees and guides the animated stuff and then he is very much busy with Mandalorian and you can imagine even more so Ahsoka.

Its fitting. I mean even Lucas did not want to direct the prequels and just wanted to oversee. Everyone else was terrified to take up the mantle so he gave in.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Filoni basically just oversee Rebels S3 as well besides a few episodes but then returned to finish it up with S4

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The show continues to be drop dead gorgeous. I was almost curious popping in the first ryloth episodes in the clone wars just to see how far the animation has come