• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kennedy needs to leave. Her admittedly great pedigree no longer outweights her mishandling of the franchise. She's proven that good Star Wars products are happening despite her and not because of her.

Similar to Tom Rothman and Spider-Man.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A lot of the issues stem from these semi-fixed release dates that Lucasfilm is extremely resistant on budging from. As much as I want to blame Kennedy, there could also been demands from Iger on this. If it was Kennedy though that was pushing for these dates then there really isn't a qualifier for how bad those decisions have been and the ramifications they've had on all of the SW creative teams.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
TFA had problems too. Abrams was ripping his hair out about the initial deadline for TFA and then Ford had to essentially break his leg for Kennedy to grant a delay. Shit is nuts.

I actually forgot HF got trapped in a door. Still, the gamble paid off.

Nah. TFA had production issues too. TLJ was the only one without production issues. RJ delivered his cut 5 months before release. JJ delivered his cut of TROS end of november.

One could joke that since RJ film took place mostly on a ship it was easier for him :p

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
If RJ dealing with JJ mystery boxes got us TLJ..

Imagine what he could do with a blank slate.

whew.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the issues stem from these semi-fixed release dates that Lucasfilm is extremely resistant on budging from. As much as I want to blame Kennedy, there could also been demands from Iger on this. If it was Kennedy though that was pushing for these dates then there really isn't a qualifier for how bad those decisions have been and the ramifications they've had on all of the SW creative teams.

It's even worse now as Disney will want 'synergy' between the parks, hotel and film franchise.

It's funny how studios barely budge once they've staked a claim to a release date. Disney rarely moves.

WB has had to a few times for obvious reasons and it's mostly worked out for them. Longer in the oven and arguably better movies.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Khan's blood in Star Trek into Darkness bringing Kirk back from the dead.
So? Who gives a shit?. It makes sense. It also got good reviews. The JJ hatred is weird. Star Wars is breaking people. Like, JJ has a solid background of work which is most likely why he got it. He also gave the Star Trek films a solid reboot. No director or writer is 100% consistent.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
ST09 is probably Abrams' best film.

A couple of months ago I would have said Into Darkness was his worst film but now I'm not so sure. STID is such an utterly utterly stupid film but it is more cohesive than RoS and actually has a larger theme about militarization in response to terrorism.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
He killed Star Trek with STiD and then moved on to wreck Star Wars.
Thankfully MCU is one franchise he can't touch now.
Yep, he successfully rebooted that franchise with Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Darkness but let's go ahead and say he killed it lol. FYI, STiD did almost 100mil better than his first film. Also, ST had a 94/91% on RT and STiD had 84/89% on RT. People here talking out of their ass without any facts to back it up.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His first ST movie was pretty enjoyable. Into Darkness less so.

I find his original movies are better for me. I rewatched Super 8 recently and found it still was a charming diversion.

There's nothing original about Super 8.

There's so many "homages" to Close Encounters and E.T. it's enough to give Spielberg a friction burn.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
He killed Star Trek with STiD and then moved on to wreck Star Wars.
Thankfully MCU is one franchise he can't touch now.

Lol, he would be perfectly fine doing a MCU film. They wouldn't let him write it, and he has a good eye for directing. The JJ hate is getting absurd here lol...

Dec 22, 2017
Did anyone ask for a multi-planet treasure hunt

1054102.jpg

I loved all of that lol. The first half of the movie I was totally into it, but then the Palpatine stuff was dumb as hell.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
To be honest the idea that Palpatine was the Vader voice in Kylo's head all along at least makes some sense.

It makes no sense that Anakin having turned to the light would be speaking in Darth Vader's voice in evil terms to his grandson. Kylo being played the voice being a phony does work.
Surely Luke had told people about the throne scene though so Ben would have some idea that Vader did not die as Vader but as Anakin, so it's still silly that he would buy he was talking to Vader at all let alone that Vader was explicitly telling him to do bad stuff.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surely Luke had told people about the throne scene though so Ben would have some idea that Vader did not die as Vader but as Anakin, so it's still silly that he would buy he was talking to Vader at all let alone that Vader was explicitly telling him to do bad stuff.

Palpatine (in Vader voice): Your uncle is a dumb dumb and what he told you about Vader is a lie. Dark Side is awesome (trying to hide giggles). He will try to kill you, just wait and see.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Palpatine (in Vader voice): Your uncle is a dumb dumb and what he told you about Vader is a lie. Dark Side is awesome (trying to hide giggles). He will try to kill you, just wait and see.
He's still doing the Vader voice in your example though lol, there is ZERO reason for him to believe it is actually Darth Vader talking to him.

I mentioned this in the Rose getting cut thread that the second Fisher actually passed away they should have delayed not only TLJ but this as well to do her right and to make any adjustments as needed. Holding to these arbitrary release dates is asinine in the face of real issues. Especially this movie when Disney is having the most rediculous of successful years.

a916

Oct 25, 2017

I can them writing in a way that after Ben and Luke had their falling out, that he reached out (or Palps as Vader reached out) for guidance because he felt lost after he felt he was betrayed.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The idea that the former galactic emperor's grand daughter (and presumably sole heir) is surviving as an orphaned scavenger, who doesn't know about her heritage, and in whom a mysterious power the emperor once mastered is now awaking in her does sound like a great idea. On top of that you have the son of the rebellion's "leader" who ends taking the lead of the empire's remaining supporters to recreate it, an interesting inversion of roles.

The problem is that there is no way in hell this was the planned story until RoS.

If they had actually planned the trilogy accordingly they could have made something really interesting.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I liked the movie but everything I read about the "making of" seems so bizarre. Like not having someone write out the broad scope of all 3 movies, execs getting involved in the movie making process. Feels like the entire trilogy could have been great instead of just okay.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
No, the problems in TRoS aren't present in all of the movies. All of the movies don't intentionally erase all of the events and character development of the previous movie. The other movies don't stifle every character's arc. The other movies don't meander aimlessly through a whole series of plot points involving macguffins. The other movies, even the damn prequels, aren't so, just...stupid. The movie is stupid. Stupid in a way that bad fan fiction you write when you're a teenager is stupid.

If you liked it, great, I'm happy for you. I don't want to be toxic and try to tear down someone else's enjoyment. But don't tell me that I'm mad at the movie because it's new. I'm not. I'm mad at the movie because it's bad.

Actually you're missing what's good about the movie, and you're not looking at it as it is. You said the movie doesn't introduce new things. It introduces several new planets, new macguffins, new robots, new characters, new abilities. The problems you're identifying ARE present in the other movies. Every single Star Wars film has a "whole series of plot points involving macguffins."

It's fine that you didn't like it! I just don't think the reasoning against it, which you're parroting, holds up to any scrutiny. It's full of more holes than the movie is supposedly.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The problem is that there is no way in hell this was the planned story until RoS.

If they had actually planned the trilogy accordingly they could have made something really interesting.

The OT of Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were made up as they went, and that trilogy was pretty interesting.

On the other hand, the prequel trilogy was very clearly planned out as the downfall of Anakin. Was that more interesting because it had a cleaner blueprint, and more auteurism?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least he killed Snoke and tried to give the series a fresh start. He was basically trying to save you from TROS.

But you all choose TROS, you all choose the dark side. Enjoy it.
Problem is that while trying to give the series an interesting direction, he forgot to give people a reason to be excited for the sequel. The status quo for the end of TLJ was generic rebels vs empire and kylo vs Rey for the third time. Bleeeh.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Problem is that while trying to give the series an interesting direction, he forgot to give people a reason to be excited for the sequel. The status quo for the end of TLJ was generic rebels vs empire and kylo vs Rey for the third time. Bleeeh.

Clearly no one was excited for a new Star Wars film. That's why no one is seeing it, or talking about it. Good point!

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The OT of Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were made up as they went, and that trilogy was pretty interesting.

On the other hand, the prequel trilogy was very clearly planned out as the downfall of Anakin. Was that more interesting because it had a cleaner blueprint, and more auteurism?
You can't make such a simple comparison to the OT. The first movie was a stand-alone story, TFA was absolutely not. The second movie ends on a very specific cliffhanger, and almost dictates how the next one will play out as a result. TLJ explicitly avoided doing that.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
You can't make such a simple comparison to the OT. The first movie was a stand-alone story, TFA was absolutely not. The second movie ends on a very specific cliffhanger, and almost dictates how the next one will play out as a result. TLJ explicitly avoided doing that.

The sequel trilogy always had some version of the beats mapped out, because there was a clear Star Wars formula by that point.

Mapping out specific beats of future films ahead of time doesn't ensure quality, or even cohesion — unless you're making all 3 at once, like the LOTR or Hobbit films.

But usually when you try to make several movies in one go — like the BTTF sequels or The Matrix sequels — what ends up happening is instead of any of the films being able to stand on their own, they're just "chapters" and are incomplete experiences on their own. So it works in the movies favor that each Episode in the new trilogy was approached with a focus on the present.

I really think people are too close to this. There's a lot of missing the forest for the trees happening here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We need Laurence Kasdan back doing the writing
Honestly I'd love to know why Lucasfilm/JJ sought out Christ Terrio. I know he has a writing Oscar, but his blockbuster franchise work has...not been good. Also why Michael Ardnt was never brought back after TFA to contribute to the later scripts?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Actually you're missing what's good about the movie, and you're not looking at it as it is. You said the movie doesn't introduce new things. It introduces several new planets, new macguffins, new robots, new characters, new abilities. The problems you're identifying ARE present in the other movies. Every single Star Wars film has a "whole series of plot points involving macguffins."

It's fine that you didn't like it! I just don't think the reasoning against it, which you're parroting, holds up to any scrutiny. It's full of more holes than the movie is supposedly.
The two planets they introduce are barely seen, and one of them blows up. We got Yoda ripoff puppet, a faceless lady with 5 lines, a lady who is literally Rule 63 Finn, and yet another little wheelie robot. The macguffins are terrible and part of the stupidity which I don't like, and I have no idea what you're talking about in terms of the other films. Star Wars has never been about macguffins, especially not the original trilogy.

Like, seriously, what did Zori Bliss' planet look like? Or Exogol? They have no character, because they're paper-thin backdrops and nothing more. Same with that our two new female characters, who exist solely to show that Finn and Poe aren't gay (which they fucking are, and shame on everyone for cowarding out on that). Same with D-0, a droid who serves essentially no purpose in the story except to be another toy, and isn't even interesting as that! There wasn't anything here! And I'm not parroting shit, these are my opinions, that I formed while watching this trashfire of a film.

If you like it, cool. I like a lot of bad movies. But don't toss a bunch this movie's godawful characters and production design (that I remembered better than you!) and claim that makes the movie good. Objectively, there is less interesting ephemera than in any other Star Wars film, which means that there's nothing redeeming to even sort of make up for the incredibly bad writing.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Honestly, I liked the movie but everything I read about the "making of" seems so bizarre. Like not having someone write out the broad scope of all 3 movies, execs getting involved in the movie making process. Feels like the entire trilogy could have been great instead of just okay.
Execs often get involved, vetoing things and demanding things. Shit happens all the time; most people just don't know it. One of my brothers directed a few reasonably well-known movies and he went on and on about people changing his script in his first big movie into something not only bad, but unrecognizable.

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is that its still enough time to make decent movies however Kennedy hires the wrong people, doesn't notice huge issues until its very late and has to make significant changes.

I absolutely hate Last Jedi but its an incredibly well crafted movie for what it is.

Rogue One had to be saved in reshoots
Solo had to call in a pretty darn good director a ways into production to save it, massive flop
Colin Trevorrow was off and had to be replaced within months, JJ comes in and the script has to be redone

thats on her

Salsanta1373

Apr 6, 2019
Im gonna write a long one here so bare with me: Star Wars was never meant to go past its first movie. It was an happy little accident.
The OT was not hatched by one person, but a group of people working together. (David Lynch was supposed to be the director of RotJ, which would have been amazing)
The prequels showed that GL was not meant to be the only creative force behind the SW.
The current series shows the failure of leadership. It could have been KK, JJ, RJ, Disney, etc.. Realistically it was probably a combination of everyone's fault. The OT had a creative group of people working together. This is a creative group fighting each other. Disney was probably overbearing because its cool child, the MCU had made 5 billion movies and stuck the landing, while its weird child SW can only make 1 out 5 movies smoothly. KK has to have some blame. She is the head of LF and has some responsiblity, she clearly made some bad hiring and either was hands off with the series or hands on. We will never know, but to me it seems Disney is making moves to pin it on her. I'm not saying there going to fire her, but moving in their favorite son, Kevin Feige, is interesting. JJ deserves a lot of the blame, his writing it terrible, but here in Era, he getting too much. Him and RJ didn't want to do the last film, I can assume they didn't like working with Disney or Lucas Film or both. RJ also needs to have some blame. I understand a lot a people like TLJ, but you have to acknowledge RJ made some dead ends to get around JJ dead ends. TLJ doesn't have any of the main characters in a scene together and making more poetry with empire vs rebals and Kyle vs Rey, the third impact. They also put a lot of stock into Leia's character, which was just unlucky. For Kyle Ren, I believe Disney never liked him being the final villain. I don't know why, maybe they didn't like his face or something.
In the end, I think truly Disney unimpressed with SW slow and messy output and is mostly at fault for this messy trilogy
Honestly, I don't know what KK does and don't know if she deserves a lot a blame, but KK has lot a fault to for not planning well and bad hiring. She is the manager and the gets the punished by the big boss.

As for for the directors and writers, they get some blame, but I can see a lot of finger in their pies and had to deal with a lot of corporate bs. They get a lot of unnecessary hate from both sides.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Super 8 is I think JJ's best movie. The plot is coherent and reasonably easy to follow at least.
Yes it is arguably his best and it was executive produced by someone who really really knows how to tell a fuckin story. I've been saying for some time that JJ constantly needs a Spielberg-tier story teller to help round out his work. Otherwise he's just a slightly better Michael Bay.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie ends on what feels like a wet fart

Star Trek on the other hand ends very strongly

I could not stand Star Trek, think it rode hard on the novelty/sugar rush of "It's Star Trek, but not like all nerdy and talky and shit! Isn't this so cool?"

TROS also brought back Abrams style of camera framing which is extreme close up on everyone face, angled upwards so you can see their nose hair smash cut to the reverse, smash cut back.

At least with TFA he had to restrain himself and use wider shots to mimic the feel of ANH.