• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Just de-canonize this movie. Nobody liked it. Even people who hated TLJ are - at best - lukewarm on TRoS. Call a Do-Over, Disney. You have the power.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Can we fucking stop with putting spoilers of a movie that came out not even two weeks ago in thread titles already?

Can we have a separate Star Wars forum section?

For fuck's sake.

What's in the thread title was in the trailers and at the Star Wars celebration. There's nothing new.

Oct 27, 2017
George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars.

When I asked Lucas what Star Wars was ultimately about, he said, "Redemption." He added, "The scripts to the three films that I'm finishing now are a lot darker than the second three, because they are about a fall from grace. The first movie is pretty innocent, but it goes downhill from there, because it's more of a tragic story—that's built into it."

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/c...ns-george-lucas-before-the-star-wars-prequels

And a lot more characters than Anakin have been redeemed in this saga.

Because the PT and OT were about the Anakin's transition to Vader which ends in his redemption. That doesn't mean every trilogy has to be about redemption and Lucas even said the PT was "about a fall from grace". It didn't end in a redemption of any antagonist, so the ST wasn't bound by that "underlying" theme since the PT didn't even adhere to it

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Bringing back Palpatine was bad enough, but in the first two minutes of the film and never giving a definitive reason as to how he survived? The fuck outta here.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I wonder what Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly's screenplay would have looked like for his episode XI?

Would it have involved Palpatine?
(Edit: After digging around, it would not have. It involved Snoke's other apprentice hinted at in the SW artbooks making it more of "The apprentice trilogy" instead of "The Skywalker Saga".)

The way I see it, Solo bombed... that and Colin's terrible Book of Henry (and abysmal Jurassic World 2) made Kathy and Disney lose confidence in him.
(Edit: I was wrong. Kathleen and JJ didn't like Colin's story beats and ideas, one being that Luke didn't die.)

They scrapped him and the script, had Chris "Why did you say Martha" Terrio rush out a new script with JJ.
(Edit: Since they had less than 2 years to crank out a script, to film, and add visual effects)

I personally don't mind the twist, but when I think about it... it falls apart when you consider this about Sheeve:
You have a man who possibly out maneuvered his old Sith master, outwitted a wise jedi council and clouded their ability to see the future, schooled Yoda, conned the senate, set up a secret army, manipulated Anakin, created an empire. All of this... how would he have slipped up and had a child? The cunning and observant Palpatine we've witness even in Clone Wars would have sensed the moment his seed touched the egg. An after-sex Sheeve would stand up and calmly put on his robe and say: "You feel that? Already I sense new life in you." He'd grimace, and force shock her to death while she lay in bed confused.
Which makes the script seem either like

A: Script was rushed

or

B: He lacked some fundamental understanding of a guy he was forced to add due to Kennedy's insistance

Last edited:

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Episode IV to VI (and I to III the fall from grace) are really are about redepemtion. That dosn't mean VII to IX needs another redemption arc.

Almost every SW movie has a character being redeemed.

-Han redeems himself in ANH by turning from a self serving scoundrel to fighting for a greater cause.
-Obi Wan in ANH redeems himself by coming out of exile and helping Luke deliver the plans
-Finn redeems himself by leaving the First Order and joining the Resistance
-Yoda redeems himself by coming out of exile to train Luke
-Anakin redeems himself and kills Palpatine (lol)
-Luke in TLJ redeems himself by saving the resistance and inspiring hope in the galaxy (lol).

Oct 27, 2017

-Han redeems himself in ANH by turning from a self serving scondural to fightning for a greater cause.
-Obi Wan in ANH redeems himself by coming out of exile and helping Luke deliver the plans
-Luke in TLJ redeems himself by saving the resistance and inspiring hope in the galaxy (lol).
Now you're just tossing around the word redeems

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

-Han redeems himself in ANH by turning from a self serving scondural to fightning for a greater cause.

Let me be more precise: Not every ST trilogy needs a space nazi to be redeemed

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I wonder what Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly's screenplay would have looked like for his episode XI?

The way I see it, Solo bombed... that and Colin's terrible Book of Henry (and abysmal Jurassic World 2) made Kathy and Disney lose confidence in him.

They scrapped him and the script, had Chris "Why did you say Martha" Terrio rush out a new script with JJ.

I personally don't mind the twist, but when I think about it... it falls apart when you consider this about Sheeve:
You have a man who possibly out maneuvered his old Sith master, outwitted a wise jedi council and clouded their ability to see the future, schooled Yoda, conned the senate, set up a secret army, manipulated Anakin, created an empire. All of this... how would he have slipped up and had a child? The cunning and observant Palpatine we've witness even in Clone Wars would have sensed the moment his seed touched the egg. An after-sex Sheeve would stand up and calmly put on his robe and say: "You feel that? Already I sense new life in you." He'd grimace, and force shock her to death while she lay in bed confused.

or

B: He lacked some fundamental understanding of a guy he was forced to add due to Kennedy's insistance

You're asking for too much, logic doesn't apply here. Stuff like this comes up when you go over the film with the slightest bit of scrutiny, So many elements just fall apart into complete nonsense

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the PT and OT were about the Anakin's transition to Vader which ends in his redemption. That doesn't mean every trilogy has to be about redemption and Lucas even said the PT was "about a fall from grace". It didn't end in a redemption of any antagonist, so the ST wasn't bound by that "underlying" theme since the PT didn't even adhere to it

When I asked Lucas what Star Wars was ultimately about, he said, "Redemption."

TROS is intended to be the end of George Lucas's saga, so going against that would be a betrayal of the core theme of this saga.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

or

I am the cause of everything that has ever happened..... Except my damn grand daughter who I can't for the life of me find.

Robot Chicken finally invaded star wars enough to start affecting it.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

-Han redeems himself in ANH by turning from a self serving scoundrel to fighting for a greater cause.

Now you're just pushing it. None of the others are nazis and mass murderers. Also it's not redeem, it's character growth and it's not exclusive or specific to Star Wars.

Oct 27, 2017
When I asked Lucas what Star Wars was ultimately about, he said, "Redemption."

TROS is intended to be the end of George Lucas's saga, so going against that would be a betrayal of the core theme of this saga.
The script for the Phantom Menace hadn't even been finished by that time so "Star Wars" at that point was literally just the OT

The scripts for the prequel, which Lucas is finishing now

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The movie starts with a shot of Kylo Ren waking up from this strange force vision and then flying immediately to Exegol only to find there a deserted planet with nothing on it ...
"I should've known! Why would Emperor Palpatine be back from the dead? How could he have built a million Death Star Destroyers and crewed them out here in the middle of nowhere? My dream was full of plot holes!"

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now you're just pushing it. None of the others are nazis and mass murderers. Also it's not redeem, it's character growth and it's not exclusive or specific to Star Wars.

Star Wars is a space fantasy aimed at 12 year olds to offer escapism and spark their imagination (Lucas's words, not mine). Applying real life logic to it is silly. By SW logic, Kylo is a traumatized soul who needs to be brought back to the light.

And yes, redemption and character growth aren't mutually exclusive.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Can we fucking stop with putting spoilers of a movie that came out not even two weeks ago in thread titles already?

Can we have a separate Star Wars forum section?

For fuck's sake.
the-rise-of-skywalker-d-23-poster_4527eeab.jpeg

cinemascenemarketing_TROS_3.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Says "an act of redeeming or atoning for a fault or mistake"

Every character that goes through a change of heart, or stops being an asshole, isn't being redeemed. The definition you posted requires atonement for a fault or mistake. Most of those characters didn't change to atone for prior behavior, they just had a change of heart. At most it could apply to Finn and Luke in TLJ, but that's because they seem to have taken the redemption angle and ran with it just because

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Would Vader have saved Luke if he wasn't his kid? Saving your kid at the last second from your boss and then dying right afterwards, is itself a very fast redemption arc, if you can even call it that. How are you redeemed for all the terrible shit you've done, just because you have a single moment where parental instincts kicks in?

Imagine if Himmler had a kid he didn't know was alive, that was fighting on the allied side. Later when he realises that he has a kid, he attempts to persuade that kid to join him and together they can rule as father and son over the Third Reich. The kid refuses, and then later Hitler is about to kill the kid, when Himmler's parental instinct kicks in and he intervenes. He kills Hitler, is mortally wounded doing so, and then dies. Would anyone in their right mind claim that Himmler was redeemed because he saved his kid? Like isn't that the bare minimum as far as being a parent goes?

If the Sith are Space Nazis, then Vader is Space Hitler's right hand man, and thus he is akin to being Space Himmler.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Says "an act of redeeming or atoning for a fault or mistake"

Every character that goes through a change of heart, or stops being an asshole, isn't being redeemed. The definition you posted requires atonement for a fault or mistake. Most of those characters didn't change to atone for prior behavior, they just had a change of heart. At most it could apply to Finn and Luke in TLJ, but that's because they seem to have taken the redemption angle and ran with it just because

Luke facing down the first order isn't atonement for his past failures?

Han coming back, risking his neck to save his friend when he only had his own interest at heart isn't atonement?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Han coming back, risking his neck to save his friend when he only had his own interest at heart isn't atonement?

You do realise that the people (Vader and Ren) we're talking about kill civilians for funsies right? Neither one of those characters actually atone or face justice for their laundry list of war crimes. Luke and Han have never committed anything remotely close to the evils that Vader and Ren committed.

Oct 27, 2017

I said Luke and Finn were the only ones that could fit and are, not coincidentally, both from the ST. Han returning wasn't an act of atonement. There was no indication he felt guilt for the lifestyle he lived before. Again, someone becoming a good person and changing doesn't mean they're trying to redeem themselves

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would Vader have saved Luke if he wasn't his kid? Saving your kid at the last second from your boss and then dying right afterwards, is itself a very fast redemption arc, if you can even call it that. How are you redeemed for all the terrible shit you've done, just because you have a single moment where parental instincts kicks in?

Imagine if Himmler had a kid he didn't know was alive, that was fighting on the allied side. Later when he realises that he has a kid, he attempts to persuade that kid to join him and together they can rule as father and son over the Third Reich. The kid refuses, and then later Hitler is about to kill the kid, when Himmler's parental instinct kicks in and he intervenes. He kills Hitler, is mortally wounded doing so, and then dies. Would anyone in their right mind claim that Himmler was redeemed because he saved his kid? Like isn't that the bare minimum as far as being a parent goes?

If the Sith are Space Nazis, then Vader is Space Hitler's right hand man, and thus he is akin to being Space Himmler.

You do realise that the people (Vader and Ren) we're talking about kill civilians for funsies right? Neither one of those characters actually atone or face justice for their laundry list of war crimes.

Stop trying to apply real life to Star Wars. Star Wars is a fantasy, the OT is basically a classic fairy tale.

They don't play by the same rules.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said Luke and Finn were the only ones that could fit and are, not coincidentally, both from the ST. Han returning wasn't an act of atonement. There was no indication he felt guilt for the lifestyle he lived before. Again, someone becoming a good person and changing doesn't mean they're trying to redeem themselves

Luke's definetly is redeeming from failing Ben, he's not just there for the resistance, he's there for Rey, so he dosn't fails her like he did with Ben. He abandoned the Jedi ideals, he gave up and by helping the resistance and passing the Jedi torch to Rey, he's atoning for his mistakes that led to Ben to the dark side.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
"They had clear plans about certain narrative marks they wanted us to hit. They also gave us a lot of freedom within that."
21st-century corporate boardroom filmmaking in a nutshell. Anyone who chooses to believe that executive suits aren't pulling a lot of the creative strings in these big franchise properties is delusional (and expecting too much of the inevitable result).

Oct 27, 2017
Luke's definetly is redeeming from failing Ben, he's not just there for the resistance, he's there for Rey, so he dosn't fails her like he did with Ben. He abandoned the Jedi ideals, he gave up and by helping the resistance and passing the Jedi torch to Rey, he's atoning for his mistakes that led to Ben to the dark side.
And I would agree with that. The same with Finn joining the Resistance to atone for the atrocities he had committed as a Storm Trooper. His turn was very much out of an acknowledgement of the horrors he was a part of and a desire to right them.

But that doesn't mean everyone who has a change of heart is seeking redemption. Han, for instance, becoming less selfish isn't him seeking redemption. It's him finding people and a cause he cares about enough to help with. It wasn't him realizing only caring about himself before was terrible and wanting to make up for that

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
"I should've known! Why would Emperor Palpatine be back from the dead? How could he have built a million Death Star Destroyers and crewed them out here in the middle of nowhere? My dream was full of plot holes!"

If you're worried about plot holes in Star Wars, I wouldn't recommend watching the original films. They are FULL of them.

It's almost like...
every single Star Wars episode was being made up as it went along.*

*Except, the prequels. Those followed a pretty clear blueprint throughout.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing against redemption but I don't buy Kylo Ren's. I always felt they were building him up to be a villain.

He tried to kill both his parents in the first two films and suddenly by talking to their ghost he changes his ways in seconds and never says another word?

Vader's arc was more much believable starting with the duel on Cloud City where he couldn't bring himself to kill Luke and ending by telling Luke he was right.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Bringing Palpatine back was such a terrible idea. How no one in the leadership circle challenged such a stupid thing is incredible.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Stop trying to apply real life to Star Wars. Star Wars is a fantasy, the OT is basically a classic fairy tale.

They don't play by the same rules.

A classic fairy tale where the entire aesthetics of the villains is drawn from Nazi Germany with new films being released (and impacted) by the rise of white nationalism.

Bringing back Palpatine was bad enough, but in the first two minutes of the film and never giving a definitive reason as to how he survived? The fuck outta here.

I really don't see why it's necessary. It's very clear by how he appears in the movie that he is not fit and healthy and something twisted had to happen to bring him back. I think it's better to be left to conjecture. For all we know he really did get burned to dust in the reactor core and this is his clone in a mangled body. We have not, as far as I know, seen a successful force-sensitive clone. The movie didn't need to spend time explaining it.

I think the difference between Vader and Kylo insofar as being redeemed go is fourfold:

1. By time we saw Vader redeem himself in ROTJ he's gotten his hand chopped off, revealed to be a cyborg, and very clearly saved his son at the last minute only to die shortly thereafter. He's kinda making his last ever act to save his son. Until now we didn't know how Kylo would die, so the idea of him surviving at all makes it seem like a dumber redemption.
2. We're told early on in ANH that Vader 'used' to be a good person and hero. This doesn't happen for Kylo, who's just called 'a good kid' or something briefly. He doesn't feel like he fell tragically.
3. After all this time, with "The Clone Wars" we've actually seen heroic Anakin, so in retrospect we can see the fullness of his arc and still hope there's still some good in him. Again, with Kylo, we really have no reason to sympathize with him at all.
4. Vader largely felt detached, in the movies, from the worst acts of the Empire. Obviously, in the EU and whatnot, he was much more involved, but in the movies (and even Rebels) Tarkin and even Krennic seem more involved in the day to day war crimes of the Empire, while Vader just kinda mops up the mess. He's not involved in the creation or use of the Death Star, he's just there when it goes off. Kylo seems much more invested in Starkiller and Starkiller kills far more people than the Death Star ever did.