• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you absolutely must have redemption, you don't need another villain as a substitute either.

There's nothing stopping Kylo Ren from being redeemed after he's served the role of the primary antagonist in episode 9.

How does Kylo redeem himself if he's the primary antagonist? You need something for the character to turn against.

Oct 27, 2017
Cause I don't need to logic scrutinize everything. Rise of Skywalker made a Sith Lord finally legit scary and I loved that. The insane force feats that were pulled off in the movie were great including Palpatine's lightning storm. The only really "unrealistic" thing is his secret army of star destroyers but I'm willing to handwave that because it doesn't bother me at all.
So basically "It's fine because things don't have to make any sense if they're cool looking"?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the craziest thing about all of these interviews where they pretend that this was their plan all along and that there were hidden meanings behind everything is like... that just makes the previous films retroactively worse lol

leave them alone!

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with this particular idea. I don't think it's unfeasible in a world where they're capable of building battle stations the size of planets that the emperor, during his 20 year reign, was able to plan something like a Sith fleet discreetly.
The idea has no problem. Even RotJ introduced the second Death Star without any hint whatsoever. These elements are classic Star Wars.

The problem is the audience has evolved, whereas Star Wars chose not to.

You really don't see any flaws with Palp, being able to build a thoausand mini death stars and meanwhile the First Order can barely get a new one in TFA?
I mean that's a whole lot of nonsense, even from SW or any kid movie standpoint.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

The redemption was totally not earned, and it was resolved very quickly. Billions of people died due to the efforts of Kylo Ren...

In RoS, did Kylo

even show any remorse for the stuff he did or helped accomplish that weren't related to Han or Rey?
The movie opens with him slaughtering a village looking for his wayfinder lol

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
One of the worst ideas ever.

p.s.

EMURxT8WwAAH2yd

This story ended with ROTJ as far as I'm concerned.

It undermines the ending of 6 to bring him back and I still can't believe this was the decision. This trilogy was just so uninspired and unoriginal. No one asked for a remake of 4-6...I truly hope that whatever movie comes next is allowed to be free and creative and move away from the poor decision making that overlooked 7-9.

edit: also I think it's unfair to those that haven't seen the movie to have a spoiler in the thread title. The trailer had his voice, but didn't explicitly show that he made a return.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Palpatine should have been a vengeful spirit, who is looking to regain a flesh body. He would be the macguffin of the film with the First Order and the Resistance trying to stop him.

By the end, Palps manages to rejuvenate himself and get a new body, Rey combined with spirits of Luke and Leia kill him once more.

But even after destroying his body in the climax, Palps spirit is even more mad and as a last resort takes over Kylo. Kylo redeems himself by sacrificing himself to destroy Palps once and for all. You could still have Kylo be the main villain for most of the film, and give him redemption.

Thank you for reading my fanfiction.
I don't know if you knew it while writing it, but that's basically what the early leaks were about, and it's much better than what we ended up with.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kylo had to be redeemed because he's Leia and Han's son is maybe the worst thing I've ever heard re: Star Wars.

It's all those racist teens that get off for their crimes because the judge says they come from a good family.

I'm a broken record at this point, but redemption is the core theme of this saga.

People who don't think Kylo, a character who has been conflicted since he was introduced, wasn't getting redeemed is silly.

Oct 27, 2017
the craziest thing about all of these interviews where they pretend that this was their plan all along and that there were hidden meanings behind everything is like... that just makes the previous films retroactively worse lol

leave them alone!

It's a pretty obvious half truth at best, and an outright lie at worst. There's very little of a clearly planned out ahead of time three film arc here.

If you take a step back the cracks in the story that it was all planned couldn't be more obvious; they seem to give both JJ and Rian fairly complete creative control of the first two films, this third one feels like a desperate attempt of executive oversight and JJ returning to what people liked about the first film in a desperate attempt to course correct something that clearly was never planned out that well to begin with.

Oct 25, 2017
How does Kylo redeem himself if he's the primary antagonist? You need something for the character to turn against.

You can have redemption at the end of his antognistic arc (E. G near the end of the movie through a series of reflections, both by himself and through the help of others). If your redemption relies on turning against a bigger, badder evil, it probably wasn't that convincing of a redemption to begin with.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Lol he was the equivalent of a crane game claw trying to get Rey toy prize. Dude could have waited a day before enacting his plan, you know when his ships were ready.

That's because Palpatine remembered a time when travelling across the galaxy actually took time. He wasn't expecting them to actually show up that same day.

Someone needs to explain to me why the outer rim and core worlds are treated so differently, if you can get across the galaxy as fast as they did in RoS? Weren't the outer rim worlds treated like backwater places due to how far away and remote they were? But if Palpatine can say "raise the ships" one scene, and then the next scene the rebels are like "let's stop them from raising their ships all the way", and the rebels then successfully journey through the Unknown Regions and appear at Palpatine's hideout before said ships raise through the atmosphere; then there's no real point of the galaxy that you can't reach in a short time.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Actually those are Vader cultists on Mustafar.
But they were Darth Vader followers...or something, so is ok. The movie dosn't says it you say? Well, is a cool looking sequence, and kids movies dosn't need to make sense, apparently, so is ok.
Don't worry, those were just (different) cultists so they totally deserved it actually.
I don't remember them even being referenced at all. Just the scenese with him taking them all out. If they were Vader cultists wouldn't they be cool with Kylo and just give it to him?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
You can have redemption at the end of his antognistic arc (E. G near the end of the movie through a series of reflections, both by himself and through the help of others). If your redemption relies on turning against a bigger, badder evil, it probably wasn't that convincing of a redemption to begin with.

You can even have the redemption arc starting slowly with the news of his mother's death. And make him first act even crazier, but then have him starting to accept and move towards honouring her legacy.

That's because Palpatine remembered a time when travelling across the galaxy actually took time. He wasn't expecting them to actually show up that same day.

Someone needs to explain to me why the outer rim and core worlds are treated so differently, if you can get across the galaxy as fast as they did in RoS? Weren't the outer rim worlds treated like backwater places due to how far away and remote they were? But if Palpatine can say "raise the ships" one scene, and then the next scene the rebels are like "let's stop them from raising their ships all the way", and the rebels then successfully journey through the Unknown Regions and appear at Palpatine's hideout before said ships raise through the atmosphere; then there's no real point of the galaxy that you can't reach in a short time.

J.J. doesn't like distances. His universe is very small.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen this many people who worked on a film throw each other under the bus like this.

tumblr_p5lp1tX9MK1w6j24yo1_540.gifv

This is how Rian Johnson sleeps knowing he made by far the best and only worthwhile film in this cursed sequel trilogy.
For real. Seems like Terrio is being forced to answer all the hard questions without JJ. Now Terrio is pinning it on Kathleen. Kind of funny to be honest.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember them even being referenced at all. Just the scenese with him taking them all out. If they were Vader cultists wouldn't they be cool with Kylo and just give it to him?

I'll let Chris Terrio explain himself:

I don't want to over-explain our intentions in the film, and I'd leave it to the audience to draw causal connections between events.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
The redemption of Vader was also always stupid, I was glad that in the novels Leia didn't give a fuck, she hated Vader for what he had done and didn't accept the redemption like Luke did. Kylo also doesn't deserve any sympathy. If anything it really makes Rey look bad to just be so cool with him and such after

Redemption for Vader is something the movie talks about but really it is only from Luke's perspective. That the conflict in Vader is in his love for his children.

There is no regret over his life. In ESB he offers Luke the chance to rule the galaxy as father and son. There is no dramatic flip in Vader's world view outside of the fact that he should not be subservient to the Emperor.

And Luke doesn't bring Vader's body back to Endor and ask people to hail Vader as a hero. He has a personal funeral for his father.

Oct 25, 2017
You can even have the redemption arc starting slowly with the news of his mother's death. And make him first act even crazier, but then have him starting to accept and move towards honouring her legacy.

J.J. doesn't like distances. His universe is very small.

Bingo. Lots of great ways to do redemption for a character that acts erratically until the final act of a film, especially if the character will likely end up dying.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So I'm guessing Vader's redemption in ROTJ didn't work for you?

Self reflection is fine, but that's not redemption. That's just Kylo realizing the error of his ways.

Redemption means he needs to actually try and atone for his sins, which in the case of Star Wars means fighting the bad guy.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a broken record at this point, but redemption is the core theme of this saga.

People who don't think Kylo, a character who has been conflicted since he was introduced, wasn't getting redeemed is silly.
I'm mostly ok with the idea in theory, but appalled that the reason is because he has famous parents. That's like top 5 bad messages in the age of Trump.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

J.J. wanted a cool scene with a lot of dead bodies. He likes it so much that he does it again several times during the movie.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Nobody expected Palpatine because he exploded twice. "Nobody expected this because it was so stupid no one would've ever possibly believed it!" isn't a sign of good writing.
The only unrealistic thing? Really? You don't even really believe it.

That's great that you can enjoy dumb shit but some people expected....intelligence out of this movie.

The Clone Wars is an actual cartoon and is smarter than this.

Amen amen amen

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For real. Seems like Terrio is being forced to answer all the hard questions without JJ. Now Terrio is pinning it on Kathleen. Kind of funny to be honest.

"In the previous movie that Rian Johnson made... that was before I was even on board and Kathleen Kennedy decided... but really it was George's original vision for the series... that was before Carrie Fisher died and we had to work around that..."

honestly fuck this guy lmao

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

Self reflection is fine, but that's not redemption. That's just Kylo realizing the error of his ways.

Redemption means he needs to actually try and atone for his sins, which in the case of Star Wars means fighting the bad guy.

You don't have to do the exact same redemption though. Why do you want another ROTJ, I just don't get it? We have one. And it's much better than this one.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I feel Star Wars operates on the level of redemption...on the old movies, that dosn't mean every ST trilogy from now on has to play the "redemption" card, that's an incredible narrow vision, not only from a narrative standpoint but also from an ethics point of view. ST shouldn't only work on the level that any blatant evil act deserve redemption and forgiveness and that becoming bad, sometimes just mean that and there's no turning back from the dark side.

And you could argue that SW plays with the idea, that no one borns evil and is just people that can fall to the dark side.
(and all those Storm Troppers being blasted don't deserve redemption? They were just kidnapped kids for all we know)

Once again, this is mythology. It's built on archetypes to tell a simple lesson. It's narrow because that's it's goal. What we are getting into now is what makes Star Wars, Star Wars, and more specifically "The Skywalker Saga". These are episodes 1-9 that are supposed to follow a line, otherwise what is the point? If you want to tell a different story that isn't The Skywalker Saga, then don't put it in The Skywalker Saga. It's like complaining that a slasher horror movie should've cut out all the death and been a love story between the 2 main characters.

I personally feel the TRoS could have explored a different kind of redemption for Ben Solo, make it more relevant to today's world and still been true to the core philosophy of the previous 6 episodes. Alternatively they could have chosen not to directly attached these stories to the previous 6 (ie not make these Episodes 7-9). Instead starting a new Saga and explore a very different philosophy. Plenty of other stories in the Star Wars universe are doing their own thing.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"In the previous movie that Rian Johnson made... that was before I was even on board and Kathleen Kennedy decided... but really it was George's original vision for the series... that was before Carrie Fisher died and we had to work around that..."

honestly fuck this guy lmao
We'll let the audiences make their own conclusions about who to blame... but I'll tell you this one thing: it was Kathleen Kennedy's fault.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to who? Because ONE character (Anakin) was redeemed, it's suddenly a core theme of the entire series?

George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars.

When I asked Lucas what Star Wars was ultimately about, he said, "Redemption." He added, "The scripts to the three films that I'm finishing now are a lot darker than the second three, because they are about a fall from grace. The first movie is pretty innocent, but it goes downhill from there, because it's more of a tragic story—that's built into it."

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/c...ns-george-lucas-before-the-star-wars-prequels

And a lot more characters than Anakin have been redeemed in this saga.

Oct 25, 2017

Vader's redemption was fine for me until the prequels hit. After the prequels? Yea, I don't buy his redemption at all.

Atoning for your sins isn't exclusive to fighting a bigger, badder guy. There's plenty of ways to do that and while I'm not a script writer, I can think of some basic plot ideas, such as:

Part of Kylo's redemption is a sacrifice in order to stop something he set in motion, that uninterrupted would cost millions of lives.

It's basic. But it works if your purpose is to focus on the character without having to bring back a big bad evil.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I don't want Terrio near another beloved franchise for a long time (ideally ever actually) but RoS does stink of executive meddling too.

Producers run the show, they make the hires, write the brief, they shouldn't be dictating how the story goes. Ideally, for a multi part saga / series like this, they should be hiring people to write the fucking thing before they begin production. At least an outline. Iger and Kennedy shitcanning George Lucas' outline for the sequels seems absolutely ludicrous when you consider how they approached these films now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Lmao how on earth is TLJ a remake of ESB???

I could point out the many many similarities but that might take too long. Eh I'll do it anyways.

You have the big bad behind the scenes who wants Luke Skywalker (Palpatine, Snoke)

The second villain is a dark side user who wants to turn the main hero into a villain and help them rule the galaxy together. (Vader, Kylo Ren)

The conflict is the rebels/resistance vs the Empire/First Order and the Empire/First Order wants to rule the galaxy and take over

There are new massive Star Destroyers

In both The Last Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back we follow our heroes on a single ship, on the run through space from the Empire/First Order's most powerful capital ships.

Meanwhile, Luke and Rey are off on remote planets, learning the ways of the Force from Jedi Masters who are pretty cagey about taking on new pupils at first.

Both movies have huge parental revelations

Both Yoda and Luke are in exile before training their proteges

Both jedi masters turn down the hero at first

After brief periods of training, they both leave to rejoin the larger fight after experiencing Force-induced visions.

The subplots in both movies take us to far away exotic locations where our heroes only manage to escape because their droids save their butts.

Luke and Rey confront Darth Vader and Kylo Ren. Rey implores Kylo to turn back to the light just like how Luke implored his father to turn back to the light.

Then there's the big lightsaber fight. After all is said and done, Darth Vader and Kylo Ren offer Luke and Rey the chance to rule the galaxy by their sides. They also reveal huge secrets about both characters' parentage.

Luke and Rey refuse to join the darkside. By the end of the film, our heroes are batter, changed, and barely holding on, but they're ready to keep fighting and hopeful for the future.

The entire movie is literally The Empire Strikes back with new characters and some new twists. Whoever calls it "fresh" or "original" clearly can't see how similar it is to the Empire Strikes Back. Rey's arc is just Luke's arc all over again.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"oh... we need to redeem Kylo?

well how the fuck are we gonna do that without having a guy for him to kill?!"