• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping my rig can run this okay in VR. My OG vive and my 1070 starting to get a little old.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping my rig can run this okay in VR. My OG vive and my 1070 starting to get a little old.

1070 is the recommended spec for VR so you should be good!
www.ea.com

STAR WARS™: Squadrons - PC System Requirements - EA Official Site

While players with the minimum specifications will be able to play STAR WARS™: Squadrons just fine, those looking to get the best possible experience will want to ensure they meet our recommended specs for smooth 60fps gameplay.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
1070 is the recommended spec for VR so you should be good!
www.ea.com

STAR WARS™: Squadrons - PC System Requirements - EA Official Site

While players with the minimum specifications will be able to play STAR WARS™: Squadrons just fine, those looking to get the best possible experience will want to ensure they meet our recommended specs for smooth 60fps gameplay.

Eh I don't put much faith in recommendations, especially for VR. There's a difference between working and working well enough that I'm not annoyed.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I keep hoping they'll announce single player DLC, but I know that's unlikely and I'm still getting the game regardless. Got my PSVR and HOTAS ready.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
$40!? Assumed this was full price. If the final version delivers like the previews it's an easy Day 1 purchase.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
I'm gonna wait for all the star wars fans to buy it, realise its too hard and sell it so I can pick it up cheap.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Granted, I don't know how this works in Squadrons, but typically what you have is the input delta being mapped to the acceleration of the ship along a given axis.

In the case of a joystick (and also an analogue stick, because for all intents and purposes they are the same thing in this context) your offset from the center determines the speed of rotation (Or, determines the acceleration of that rotation, up to a pre-defined maximum). In the case of a mouse, because it has no "offset" that rate of change is mapped to the delta-position of the mouse.

This means that in order to have a constant velocity turn, in the case of a joystick you simply hold the joystick in a given direction. In the case of the mouse you have to make a constant motion (including moving the mouse "back" when you reach the edge of your surface). Already you can see that there's a difference in terms of required input here (As to which you think is better for you is a matter of personal preference)

Moving onto aiming, obviously when working with a mouse the physical area that you have to work with, as well as how that physical area maps to the produced game-input is significantly more tunable than when working with joysticks. Yes, stick sensitivity can be adjusted but it has no impact on the upper extents of how far the stick can move from the origin. In general though, it means that fine-tuned movements are much easier to produce with a mouse because you can lower the sensitivity and have a much larger area to work with.

In typical (as in, semi-realisitc) dogfighting scenarios Joysticks may end up having the upper hand due to not needing to be "rest" in order to continue rotation, however in a game such as this I can almost guarantee that a typical dogfight will not be the meta (especially considering that drifting is an option and lateral thrusters are included) and that a more twitchy-based approach which lends itself to short, accurate changes in orientation.

I'm going to post a video here from Planetside 2 (Which I played, and piloted in for many years). The air-combat meta in that game evolved into a kind of "hover-duel" which involved craft facing off against each other, and essentially maintaining orbit with each other whilst trying to simultaneously lead their shots and dodge the enemy's. Now, I have absolutely no idea if something similar will develop in squadrons due to there being entirely different world-physics going on, but PS2's aircraft also are operated based on the "axis-acceleration" model (rather than direct mapping of inputs) so in terms of control input, the games seem similar.

(Warning: Music is a bit loud)

As you can see there, the combat is less about trying to out-maneuver the opponent and get behind them (Like in realistic dogfighting games) but more about making small, twitchy movements which lend themselves to mouse control much more than stick.

We'll have to see how things turn out though, I always love discovering new metas :)

This game uses a Virtual Joystick for mouse, your input on an axis is based on the cursors distance from center, not acceleration.

The flight model between the two games are also completely different, as you mentioned. Squadrons is 100% an arcadey WW2 in space, that kind of hovering duel wouldn't happen as there's no lateral or vertical thrust.

Last edited:

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
The Star Wars Show had a 15 minute bit with a retrospective on Star Wars flight games and a new interview about Squadrons. I don't think there was any new footage, though.

I've timestamped it here:

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
If base PS4 can handle it in VR, your PC will be just fine. 6700k/980ti here, and it could handle HL: Alyx from beginning to end.

While that's most likely the case, tell that to No Man's Sky lol. Game supposedly runs fine on PSVR, but runs terribly on my rig at all settings (I've tried all the crazy fixes too). I have the same setup as you, but I even saw people with 2080Ti's saying NMS runs terribly for them in VR.

But this game was built with VR compatibility from the beginning, so I would imagine it will be fairly optimized for PCVR.

Oct 26, 2017
This game uses a Virtual Joystick for mouse, your input on an axis is based on the cursors distance from center, not acceleration.

The flight model between the two games are also completely different, as you mentioned. Squadrons is 100% an arcadey WW2 in space, that kind of hovering duel wouldn't happen as there's no lateral or vertical thrust.

Ah shit, I hate that scheme :/

Meta might end up like freelancer then, where ships would essentially joust at each other by using drift.

Last edited:

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
QUOTE="Kharnete, post: 47159519, member: 1437"]
Star Wars: Squadrons |OT| Gamma 1 is the Emperor's stool pigeon!
[/QUOTE]

Oh yes. Or maybe:
Star Wars: Squadrons |OT| Gamma 1, it seems like you don't play well with others

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Ah shit, I hate that scheme :/

Meta might end up like freelancer then, where ships would essentially joust at each other by using drift.

I imagine there'll be some amount of jousting, but the speed and turn rates look much slower than freelancer and there are also some restrictions/limitations on drifting, so I don't think it'll be the primary way of dogfighting.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is there any reason to buy this game on steam instead of the epic store? because i got a 10€ voucher on Epic from the rocket league deal.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
is there any reason to buy this game on steam instead of the epic store? because i got a 10€ voucher on Epic from the rocket league deal.

There's full crossplay, so get it on whatever store gets you the best deal. There's some superficial junk you get with the various stores (Avatar frames on Steam, Fortnite glider on Epic store), but it doesn't matter.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

VR gameplay. Start at 4:50 to skip spoilers

Edit - looks like this one got taken down.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this snuck up on me. Preordered on PS4 digital, figured this is the kind of game I'll want to dip in and out of quickly.

Arcoril

Oct 27, 2017

If I'm not mistaken the Rocket League coupon doesn't apply to pre-orders. If you don't care about the bonuses you should be able to use the coupon after the game releases.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017

I can hear Shooting Stars as I watch this and idk why hahaha.

OT: it seems like reviews may be dropping tomorrow? Greg Miller just tweeted that they'll be talking it about it on their Gamescast show tomorrow.

Additionally, is pre load available for this game on PS4?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
The idea that an EA game releases without MTX is weird. Also, it has six maps? I suppose it will have some kind of DLC down the line.

Anyway. I'm in. Anything that can take me back to X-wing vs. Tie Fighter is worth the money.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I wonder if players playing on TV will have advantage against VR players because of the low res in the PSVR.