• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Can you share your control scheme? I wanted to get the throttle off my sticks but struggle to move other shit elsewhere. The only "free" button I have is the "Select" button that normally shows your loadout. I don't need that in flight.

Sure thing. That was my only free space too, so I replaced it with ping/comms. I don't think I'm missing anything?

Oct 27, 2017
So in Dogfight is this just like the old XvT where it seems like only 1 or 2 fighters on each side is even viable? It seems for imps if you don't run the Tie Interceptor, you're doing it wrong. The bombers and support ships feel completely useless in Dogfight mode and you just get constantly out maneuvered by Interceptors.

For Rebels A-wings and X-Wings seem decently viable both but for Imps every match it just seems everyone only choose interceptor.

More variety in fleet battle at least. Kinda wish they had more objective modes to keep all the ships feeling useful.

Dunno, the tractor beam of the support ship can really ruin the day of each and every interceptor.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1st person view make you realize why the Empire lost the war.

Good god the screen real estate is like trying to win a gunfight by looking through a keyhole.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Oh damn.

I'm currently playing Rogue Leader and love seeing the ships so only having a first person view is very disappointing :-(

I mean it is a bit disappointing, but the game is designed around it. And if you are using VR, the cockpit view is very immersive.

Good god the screen real estate is like trying to win a gunfight by looking through a keyhole.

Yeah, the TIEs weren't designed with the user's comfort in mind - it makes sense from a "lore" perspective but it does feel way more restrictive than the New Republic ships.

Easier to see below you though.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017

It's not *as* bad in VR, but yeah, it's funny comparing a regular TIE Fighter cockpit or the tiny window on a TIE Reaper to the visibility in something like an A-Wing.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Oh damn.

I'm currently playing Rogue Leader and love seeing the ships so only having a first person view is very disappointing :-(
To be fair they're very different games, different genres really.

Rogue Leader is an arcadey shooter. It's a great game, but it's pretty simple.

Squadrons is much closer to TIE Fighter, more of a space combat sim, though a bit more user friendly than those old PC games. A big part of it is feeling like you're in the cockpit controlling the various ship systems and the sense of presence is amazing in VR.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to avoid mines mid fight lol. Like at least give me one second to have the red notification pop up that he dropped a mine.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

in the TIE fighters i feel like i'm almost doing the equivalent of instruments-only flying since there's no side to side visibility—takes some getting used to but it's a lot of fun and at a certain point I rely mostly on the targeting system than the viewport.

on the flip side i think this balances out in an interesting way because the smaller profile of the TIEs (at least the interceptor and fighter) feels much more nimble than the plane-esque republic ships. I've gotten my wings or tail (and sometimes the nose on the x wing) clipped or bumped flying through tight spaces far more often than I have with the TIEs

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Realistically cockpit view would be meaningless in space combat, you would be flying purely by instrument and computer targeting. In game and in the movies space has magic lighting that lets you clearly see ships miles away somehow in the darkness of space.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Level has nothing to do with Skill and all to do with play time (which *sometimes* results in higher skill).

That said, I definitely don't think the matchmaking is working with regards to relative skill levels.

A team of people under lvl 5 have barely played the game, are going to be at a disadvantage and also lack in many of the best ship unlocks. Three times yesterday I got placed on teams of everyone under level 10, average lvl 5's, and opposing teams being in their 20-30's completely and of course the opposing team is stomping us.

Oct 27, 2017
Just a thought crossing my mind, if the devs were to add new ships to the game, would you be cool with them creating entirely new designs? It's kind of a tradition for Star Wars games after all. After they added some of the fan favorites of course.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Whoa, I thought I was the only person who noticed this last night. Felt so fucking sluggish and laggy when I was doing this on PS4. Whenever I did normal pitching it was very quick and responsive, both at the same time(aka diagonal on the stick) very sluggish. Hope they fix this!

Seems like a lot of people are reporting it:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Diagonal-Analog-Input-is-Too-Weak/td-p/9539926
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Slow-Controls-When-Pitch-Roll-Bound-to-Same-Stick/td-p/9537801

Here is an excellent video showing the issue on stick vs using the keyboard. Its night and day:

Okay, I am glad this is an issue because I could not understand why I can't outturn a fucking Y-Wing in a TIE or TIE/I or a Bomber in an A-Wing. I knew it felt sluggish when rolling+pitching but I figured it was just a weird design decision.

Hope they fix this ASAP.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Really. This game in VR is a killer app. In every way.

Really hope this sells surprisingly well enough for them to give it some post launch support.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Contacted EA Support. Looks like they are still looking into locked pre-order bonuses on Xbox.

Just a thought crossing my mind, if the devs were to add new ships to the game, would you be cool with them creating entirely new designs? It's kind of a tradition for Star Wars games after all. After they added some of the fan favorites of course.

As long as the B-Wing gets added, I don't care what they do after.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be cool, but I don't think it's within the scope of what Motive want to do with this game.

Remember that they were marketing this as a complete game with no GAAS or DLC to promise.

That being said, I hope they reconsider or expedite an expanded sequel.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the Thrustmaster T-16000M is in stock but it's just the joystick on its own. How hard would it be to get a hold of the throttle on its own separately?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This game is so good when it works. Really hope some patches can iron out the performance especially in VR.

The game runs flawlessly at times but randomly goes out of wack in VR or performance goes to the dumps randomly it feels. But when it works, it's SW geeks dream, I keep just gawking at the cockpits.... man this is me sitting in an actual Y-Wing!

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be cool, but I don't think it's within the scope of what Motive want to do with this game.

Remember that they were marketing this as a complete game with no GAAS or DLC to promise.

That being said, I hope they reconsider or expedite an expanded sequel.

They said it depends on if the game is successful enough. And at this point I think it's safe to say it is.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Really. This game in VR is a killer app. In every way.

Really hope this sells surprisingly well enough for them to give it some post launch support.

They really should be advertising the hell out of this for VR with some demo videos of how cool the cockpit view is. I'm always grinning at how cool it is to be in these detailed cockpits.

I need a Gundam game like this

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Monetize any mandalorian crossover content.. baby yoda in the cockpit etc..

That will fund any potential expansion packs lol.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm halfway to the 20 challenges needed to unlock the epic helmet. One disadvantage of the first person only view is that it disincentives my desire to get the cosmetic unlocks for the ships, since you rarely see the outside of them.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it last weekend (psvr and Ps4 pro) , playing little bit today and played a deathmatch online (it the first time I play something online for the past 2-3years) and loved it. I m so happy this exists. Its a childhood dream of mine finally realized ( yeah was a kid in the 70s and 80s) . I can see myself playing this online from time to time which is the exception for me but it feels so great. Hopefully they will consider upgrading it for the ps5 and psvr but on the pro its more than serviceable

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So putting pitch and yaw on the right stick might be something I should've done long ago. Isolating roll to its own stick is kinda weird, but my tracking feels like I'm playing any other shooter now. Almost.

Dec 13, 2017
I only tried the SP for a few min yesterday with my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS 4 and is it intentional to plane flat left or right when tilting left or right, rather like you would if you were using rudder to keep the plane level but adjust your heading? I went through the control options and I didn't find anything that would make it 'fly' like a normal plane.
The problem I'm having is getting used to this and it's getting me killed.

EDIT: OK, so I should re-map roll to left/right stick and and yaw to left/right twist!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just got double digit kills in the past couple matches pretty comfortably now that my tracking is on point. Used to have to try super hard to break even before that.

Loose Cannon

Oct 27, 2017
Hot tip: flying into the clouds on Yavin makes you invisible to radar and hard to spot visually, though it does do a mild damage over time. Also flying low or high on the Abyss map is the way to go for bombing runs

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
So putting pitch and yaw on the right stick might be something I should've done long ago. Isolating roll to its own stick is kinda weird, but my tracking feels like I'm playing any other shooter now. Almost.

Yeah, do what works best for you, but the game is designed around pitch/yaw being together as your primary axes. If anyone is still holding on to pitch/roll, you should at least give it a real shot.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, do what works best for you, but the game is designed around pitch/yaw being together as your primary axes. If anyone is still holding on to pitch/roll, you should at least give it a real shot.

Yea, it's very much patterned after the old games, where pitch/yaw were on the axes and roll was done by holding a button down.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
journeyed into the multiplayer for the first time. Are the daily challenges broken? I cant get any of them to work. It wont count dogfights, fleet, or kills.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Boy, the Imperial campaign of this game isn't afraid to make you the bad guys, much more so than TIE Fighter ever did. Like the Mon Cal mission is just straight up terrorism. Sure they make the worst aspects of it optional, but that just means they give you medals for completing your war crimes. Knowing how the rest of the war goes, I guess Titan squadron can look forward to their hearing in space Nuremburg.

Honestly, I just feel bad for Anvil Squadron. Just like Phoenix Squadron, they're stuck with an unfortunate name that sounds tough at first, but then you realize it just means they get hammered on continuously.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Boy, the Imperial campaign of this game isn't afraid to make you the bad guys, much more so than TIE Fighter ever did. Like the Mon Cal mission is just straight up terrorism. Sure they make the worst aspects of it optional, but that just means they give you medals for completing your war crimes. Knowing how the rest of the war goes, I guess Titan squadron can look forward to their hearing in space Nuremburg.

Honestly, I just feel bad for Anvil Squadron. Just like Phoenix Squadron, they're stuck with an unfortunate name that sounds tough at first, but then you realize it just means they get hammered on continuously.
yea taking down medical frigates was some real shit.

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno, TIE Bomber feels alrighty to me in dogfight mode:

qbEzmjE.png

Sure, people is still learning (hell, I've been playing the X-wing series non-stop for 27 years and I'm still getting used to the new tools), but is a solid ship. Tanky as hell, the rotatory cannon melts fighters, and with proper support can be a nightmare. Can't talk on the Reaper, but without one saving my ass a few times with clutch healings I wouldn't have had that score up there.

Back in the day was terrible in pure dogfight, that's for sure. Well, and in everything else :P, there were always better alternatives.
Poor Hook with 13 assists but only 1 kill lol

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Poor Hook with 13 assists but only 1 kill lol

Can you tell from that if people are running support? I would have assumed Hook was...

I tried support out last night and I had no clue as to what I was doing. I was hiding my team mates from the radar (which ofc made every enemy gun for me), and then attempting to speed away whilst impairing as many ships as I could with ion cannons/deploying repair kits. My team were picking off the ships chasing me. Kind of fun but I felt very fragile and it obviously didn't reflect well in the scoreboard.

Highlight of the evening was causing TIEs to crash into rocks.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I qualified to Ranked. It's totally broken since you get almost no points from winning a game, and lose loads for every loss. And you lose loads if you abandon a game, even if it says the match is already abandoned and won't be scored.
So unless you have a god-tier w/d ratio, you'll permanently be at literally 1 skill score. I qualified with 120 points and lost it all in the next 3 battles.
I'm sure it'll get fixed, but I have a hard time understanding how this made it into release.

Some other tips:
The A-wing rapid fire laser is terrible. The DPS is barely higher than the regular laser, it has poor range and most importantly a terrible shot count.
A full (not-overcharged) charge of ammo into a standard-hull tie bomber, missing no shots, will leave the bomber at 80% health. That's just useless.
Just use the standard laser. Or a different ship entirely. The A-Wing seems to be an anti-fighter/interceptor ship, since it just doesn't have the firepower to take down a heavy bomber/support ship.

On the other hand, the TIE-bomber is an amazing space superiority fighter as well as being a good bomber. The autoaim gatling gun makes it easy to get those pesky interceptors. It also chews the fuck out of AI creeps if you want some quick morale points. DPS is low but it doesn't miss and can fire for ages. Speed and manoevrability don't matter when you don't need good aim and can just tank damage. You can afford to go full weapon overcharge or transfer power to guns, because your manoevrability is shit anyway. And going slow is often an advantage in dogfights since enemies will just overshoot you. I've killed a lot of A-Wings that have done a small amount of damage on their attack run, then overtaken me, right into my weapon sights.

And I haven't even used the heavy hull yet. I just unlocked it and having an extra 60% health seems like it'll be ridiculous, despite the manoevre/acc penalties.
Downside of TIE-bomber is no anti-fighter missiles. But the multitarget ones are a good way to screw with lots of opponents at once. They'll probably all miss because their homing isn't great, but it'll make multiple enemies panic and drop countermeasures/go evasive anyway.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide, I can play this on ps4 or pc (I have vive and psvr). Vive is obviously superior to psvr, but I hate installing the base stations. Also comfy couch and all. Should probably still get it on pc.