• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Found my first cheater in game. Playing dogfight and following the kill cam only to see my ship flying around in third-person before randomly exploding. Happens like 7 times in the match. Might turn off crossplay for dogfights moving forward.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Silly newbish question here, but how do Targeting Beacons work?

I feel like they could be welcome on defense or in dogfights, but I equipped one to my U-Wing, took it into training, and couldn't get anything other than an angry beep from it. So how do I fire them?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the ping wheel fully working on a HOTAS? I have the Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle, and on the back of it there's an analog stick, and I was trying to use that for the radial wheel, but it only works in the four cardinal directions.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Well you only need to tap a button to set shields to the back. Shouldn't take long at all.
On basic power management, yeah, but you can do it on advanced too, just hold in the direction of the thing you want and it maxes it.

Going to preach again about how you should use Advanced Power Management. Basic doesn't let you have 0 pips in anything, and you can still get more out of it with Advanced.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Thanks! I thought scores would be better. I'll wait for the first price drop.
In my opinion a lot of those scores don't take into account its a budget title. Single player realitively short and the multiplayer is the meat and potatoes but only really has 2 modes.

For me it was well worth the asking price but it's clearly not designed as an full budget game but was reviewed as such. The visuals could throw you off though it is gorgeous.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Got 10 hours in so far in VR. Great game, easily top 5 VR experiences for me. Looks amazing with the settings cranked up and the performance is solid. Had a few multiplayer rounds with squad of friends and it's fun as hell. Pre-ordered for slight discount at $35 on origin and this for me has been one of the best value games already. I'm excited for what future Star Wars games will bring to VR.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
So a different gamepad issue than I think most people are having. My controller seems to lose/regain connection sometimes, and is usually fine in games cause it only takes a couple seconds to come back. But in this game, it won't reconnect even when the controller regains connection; if I lose the controller it seems restarting the game is my only option. Tried disabling mouse, doesn't work. I would go wired but my Elite Xbox controller is pretty old and the usb input is wobbly on it, so same issue lol.

Anyone else had this issue or heard about a fix? I would say this is just a "me" issue...but the game shouldn't require you to have your controller on before you start it for it to be recognized either, which is part of the same issue.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if im just exceptionally bad and so is my friend but we have yet to win a single game of dogfight or fleet battle. Maybe it's because we've not finished our placements but it feels like everyone is a god and breaks through our capital ships like nothing, while we seem to struggle to do any damage at all. I don't understand it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Does everyone's rank start at Maverick I, or do I need to git gud? My team got rocked on my final placement match.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if im just exceptionally bad and so is my friend but we have yet to win a single game of dogfight or fleet battle. Maybe it's because we've not finished our placements but it feels like everyone is a god and breaks through our capital ships like nothing, while we seem to struggle to do any damage at all. I don't understand it.

It's not just you. I'm getting destroyed as well. I have to do a good bit rewriting coming from traditional shooting games.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I thought scores would be better. I'll wait for the first price drop.
This doesn't seem like the kind of game most publications aren't going to give a 9+ to, even if it was top tier. It's simply a part of a game type and genre that isn't for everyone and usually such high scores only go to games with really broad appeal.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
welp. i broke down and got an oculus quest 2 and link cable. I want to experience this the way you are supposed to. I debated using my psvr but I heard its blurry as hell. Plus $300 for a damn good vr headset is a steal imo.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
So a different gamepad issue than I think most people are having. My controller seems to lose/regain connection sometimes, and is usually fine in games cause it only takes a couple seconds to come back. But in this game, it won't reconnect even when the controller regains connection; if I lose the controller it seems restarting the game is my only option. Tried disabling mouse, doesn't work. I would go wired but my Elite Xbox controller is pretty old and the usb input is wobbly on it, so same issue lol.

Anyone else had this issue or heard about a fix? I would say this is just a "me" issue...but the game shouldn't require you to have your controller on before you start it for it to be recognized either, which is part of the same issue.
Have you tried unplugging any unnecessary usb devices like external hdds etc?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is so hard to get a HOTAS right now... I have a Thrustmaster T.Flight 4 for PS4 that I got for Ace Combat 7 but a few months after purchasing the twist function started drifting... thing is unusable now.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
On basic power management, yeah, but you can do it on advanced too, just hold in the direction of the thing you want and it maxes it.

Going to preach again about how you should use Advanced Power Management. Basic doesn't let you have 0 pips in anything, and you can still get more out of it with Advanced.

You can remap the controls to give you max power on a single command, so you don't need to use advanced or deal with having to hold a direction to get max power.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Xbox one x, I can't get through the first story mission! The game just keeps sort of getting stuck, like a character will speak and then their dialogue ends but it never continues, their visual on screen is still up as if they are talking but nothing progesses.

I keep resetting, 6 times on the emperors first mission, 5 times on the rebel and I just shut it off. WTH. Known issue or am I borked?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Got it on Steam just now. Game looks pretty amazing on my Vive but is it just me or is it really stuttery? I don't think my performance issues are limited to VR because I tried it outside of my headset and it looks and feels like the game is running at less than 30 fps even at the lowest settings. It doesn't look like exclusive fullscreen works because gsync isn't kicking in for me. Nvidia performance overlay also doesn't seem to track my framerate and the game isn't taking in my nvidia CP framerate limit. Rivatuner shows me hitting 200+ fps but it just feels awful

I have a 1080 Ti and a 3700x.

EDIT:
Just realized I was missing a driver update. Installed the new drivers and that seems to have fixed my nvidia overlay framerate counter and gsync issues, but it still does not look like 120 fps smooth, despite what my framerate shows. Still lots of stuttering too.

Last edited:

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Game's refresh rate is borked. Borderless runs it at 60 fps but with smooth head tracking for me. If you do fullscreen, set the refresh rate to 59.95. I run my headset at 120 hz. Doing other settings I feel like it gets more juddery. I also tried using legacy reprojection and that was like double images everywhere even though the fps went up.

I'm using a 3080 and a 3700x.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So now that the game has been out and you guys have had a chance to play it... How's the campaign? Is the game worth it if I'm. It interested in the multiplayer at all?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Game is buggy as hell, for both HOTAS controls and VR. But once you finally have everything working, it's a damn fun time. Of course, I've only completed the prologue, but I'm loving it. And this is definitely a game the Pimax VR headset is made for, the ultrawide FOV is perfect for X-Wings, you really are surrounded by space.

I'll love it even better after a patch fixes the refresh rate, and hopefully the flight stick dead zone :) I may hold off on playing it more until that patch...

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I'm doing well in the dogfights, mainly as an A-wing. You are fighting mainly other interceptors and fighters so your lasers actually damage things. In fleet battles I'm getting schooled as everyone seems to be running enormous amounts of shields and my lasers are pea shooters. I must be hitting some people 30 times with full power to lasers and they still don't go down. So I switch to bomber and support and last 2 seconds as you are a slow moving truck.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Game's refresh rate is borked. Borderless runs it at 60 fps but with smooth head tracking for me. If you do fullscreen, set the refresh rate to 59.95. I run my headset at 120 hz. Doing other settings I feel like it gets more juddery. I also tried using legacy reprojection and that was like double images everywhere even though the fps went up.

I'm using a 3080 and a 3700x.

Yeah it's totally borked. Hopefully a patch will come soon. I'm not going to play it more until this gets resolved. I could play in pancake mode but that would just feel wrong.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just you. I'm getting destroyed as well. I have to do a good bit rewriting coming from traditional shooting games.

Thing is in fleet battles I seem to always get a decent amount of kills, but it's as if we're not ever doing any lasting damage to the opponents ship at all. If I go for the subsystems it always feels like im on my own and I get picked off easy.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Does this run on Steam if bought on there, or does it load up Origin like it does if you bought it on the Epic Games Store?

Because Origin doesn't have native controller support so it's borderline unplayable with just third-party software.

Steam has native controller support so I should have bought it on there if so.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Does this run on Steam if bought on there, or does it load up Origin like it does if you bought it on the Epic Games Store?

Because Origin doesn't have native controller support so it's borderline unplayable with just third-party software.

Steam has native controller support so I should have bought it on there if so.
Nah it doesn't load Origin at all or if it does it's really quietly in the background.

I'm using a DS4 with Steam Input and it works perfectly

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone noticed that in the prologue mission Lindon Javes flies a completely different TIE model from anyone else? Haven't seen that one in any other media either.

Seems weird to create a completely new 3D model from scratch just ot use it once.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone noticed that in the prologue mission Lindon Javes flies a completely different TIE model from anyone else? Haven't seen that one in any other media either.

Seems weird to create a completely new 3D model from scratch just ot use it once.
It's not, it's a Tie Advanced (mass production) varient.

starwars.fandom.com

TIE Advanced v1

The Empire's Inquisitors appear to have first dibs on these prototypes. Unusual for TIEs, the v1s have shields, hyperdrives, and folding wing panels... One of these fell into our hands after the action at Mustafar and Harinar's crew has had a merry time taking it apart.Antoc Merrick in The Rebel...

It first showed up in Rebels.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Has anyone else found that the VR is "jittery" in the story mode parts where you're stood around and getting briefed? It's like it skips frames or something when I move my head.

Jan 11, 2019
So now that the game has been out and you guys have had a chance to play it... How's the campaign? Is the game worth it if I'm. It interested in the multiplayer at all?
The campaign is decent. See like a big long tutorial. This may be a negative for you but at the same time it's also kind of necessary. It keeps things fresh during the campaign and the set pieces are very nice too. But don't expect a campaign like the old TIE fighter or X-Wing games had. The campaigns are much simpler and there are no consequences if you, say, lose a frigate that you could have saved. Completing these side objectives doesn't have any impact on the story or the missions themselves. It just awards you medals that you can then look at after the missions. So it's fun and your crew members are kind of cool. I'm personally fond of southern drawl space alien squad leader gunny. But don't necessarily buy this game just for the campaign alone. At the same time the game is only $40 so if you're a huge Star wars man it might be worth it after all.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia

starwars.fandom.com

TIE Advanced v1

The Empire's Inquisitors appear to have first dibs on these prototypes. Unusual for TIEs, the v1s have shields, hyperdrives, and folding wing panels... One of these fell into our hands after the action at Mustafar and Harinar's crew has had a merry time taking it apart.Antoc Merrick in The Rebel...

It first showed up in TIE Fighter... you heathen.

Please give us more starfighters as DLC.
I need an advances, and a defender, and a B-wing... I need them.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It first showed up in TIE Fighter... you heathen.

Please give us more starfighters as DLC.
I need an advances, and a defender, and a B-wing... I need them.
No, that was the Tie Avenger.

starwars.fandom.com

TIE/ad starfighter

The TIE/ad starfighter, simply known as the TIE Advanced, TIE/Ad or T/A, was the culmination of a series of starfighter designs first explored with Darth Vader's TIE Advanced x1. To avoid confusion with Lord Vader's personal craft, it was known better by its nickname TIE Avenger. Incorporating...

:P

Oct 27, 2017

starwars.fandom.com

TIE Advanced v1

Haven't seen Rebels yet so that expalins it. Still weird they included it in the game though.