• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Something is really wrong with the VR on PC.

From what I'm reading it is locked to 60fps no matter what, so this causes all sorts of reprojection artifacting when you turn your ship.

Definitely have noticed this on my CV1. Nothing seems to get rid of the constant ghosting.

I think I'm going to put this down until a patch sorts this out.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, looking back and seeing my droid mounted in my X-Wing was a feelsgoodman moment. The cockpit is so tight, tho! Hella snug.

If you like all of that, you should try Elite Dangerous in VR when you're tired of SW. Functionally, it is SW Squadrons combat (power management, weapon styles, flight mechanics), but with additional flight mechanics options (real physics floating), in an open world environment, with crisper visuals (if your hardware is good enough). And with about 20 combat-viable ships, that cam be customized about 100 different ways.
Yea I played Elite for a while as well. While the moment to moment combat is fun, everything else around it just dragged on way too long. Ironically I have the opposite effect with Star Citizen. I like doing almost everything in that game except the moment to moment gameplay which mainly just comes down to how they have their flight model set up + alpha jank

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having trouble when playing in VR...

I'm playing PSVR on my PS Pro. When I'm in VR, in the hangar, I'm not able to look up or down, meaning I'm not able to look at certain icons that aren't directly in my line of site (using the little aiming reticule in the middle of the screen). I can only look left and right with the R or L sticks. When I take it off VR, I'm able to look up and down with the R or L sticks. Now, I noticed that double-clicking R3 is supposed to enable free look, but when I do that, nothing happens, and I've used two different controllers, just in case.

Am I missing something?

LightInfa

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first game that has me seriously considering taking the plunge into VR... what should I hope for in terms of PC VR deals come the holiday season?

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having trouble when playing in VR...

I'm playing PSVR on my PS Pro. When I'm in VR, in the hangar, I'm not able to look up or down, meaning I'm not able to look at certain icons that aren't directly in my line of site (using the little aiming reticule in the middle of the screen). I can only look left and right with the R or L sticks. When I take it off VR, I'm able to look up and down with the R or L sticks. Now, I noticed that double-clicking R3 is supposed to enable free look, but when I do that, nothing happens, and I've used two different controllers, just in case.

Am I missing something?

Okay, quoting myself here. This article from Kotaku says I'm supposed to be able to free look around my cockpit in VR. I can't. I've gotta be missing an option or something. Anybody know?
kotaku.com

Tips For Playing Star Wars: Squadrons

Star Wars: Squadrons is here and it’s pretty damn good, especially if you enjoy space combat and yelling out Star Wars references in the middle of battles. But it can also be a hard or frustrating game to wrap your head around at first, so here are some tips I’ve picked up after playing and...

Last edited:

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to report players? I was in a match and a player just sat in a corner of the map and rotated around and did nothing else, I assume to collect the xp.

Having played it a bit more today I feel like we shouldn't be able to full stop ships. I've gotten much better at not dying, but when your on an iffy at best team I have been watching the killcam I've been killed a good few times by players who have just entirely stoped and rotated about to shoot at things. The AI also has a habit of doing the same thing.

I hope we get some more content in the future, in general it's a really good foundation to build upon going forward, I'd love some new modes, maps, and ships. It's funny that both the U-Wing and Tie Reaper made their debut appearances in Rogue One and have now spread out across Star Wars media in general for this era of the universe.

But seriously, where's my boy the B-Wing, that ship was the bees knees.

AI battles are brutal :P even on Easy the CPU is relentless. Human opponents are much easier...

Like, holy shit are they relentless.

A friend and I thought we'd do the Fleet Battle vs AI to get practice in before an online match, that was a mistake. The AI has near perfect aim, you can see it in the killcam, and they do what I just mentioned and have a habit of slowing to a stop and rotating and just hitting you constantly as you fly past. I dread to think what they are like when this is all happening on easy. We jumped into an online Fleet Battle and had much more fun with it against real fallible people.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
bought it on whim and liking it a lot sofar. I suck at it though.
Playing it in VR. Tie-Fighters are way harder to control than X-Wing for me, due to the small cockpit window.
For some reason my Thrustmaster 16000m FSC HOtas setup does not work with the game, if I connect both only the Throttle part works and the Joystic is unresponsive, but If I only connect the Joystick it works just fine :(
I was having a similar problem and it was because the game detected the throttle as Joy1 and the stick as Joy2. And all the default controls are mapped to Joy1. When you unplug the throttle, then the stick is detected as Joy1. Are you not able to remap it?

Anyway it was bothering me that it kept changing, so I fixed it by doing the following rather extreme step. You might not want to do this. I disabled cloud saving, and deleted the save file. Unplugged both devices, and rebooted the computer. Then I plugged in the stick first, then the throttle. You'll know its working because the stick is listed above the throttle in windows. Now when you load up the game "fresh" it will detect the stick as Joy1 and all the default mappings will be set to it.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I was having a similar problem and it was because the game detected the throttle as Joy1 and the stick as Joy2. And all the default controls are mapped to Joy1. When you unplug the throttle, then the stick is detected as Joy1. Are you not able to remap it?

Anyway it was bothering me that it kept changing, so I fixed it by doing the following rather extreme step. You might not want to do this. I disabled cloud saving, and deleted the save file. Unplugged both devices, and rebooted the computer. Then I plugged in the stick first, then the throttle. You'll know its working because the stick is listed above the throttle in windows. Now when you load up the game "fresh" it will detect the stick as Joy1 and all the default mappings will be set to it.

Thanks, sounds similar. I'll give it a try!

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The bombers seem like a bit much. Huge HP, the rotary laser is maybe the best laser cannon in the game, and yeah they're slow but not that slow.

Meanwhile the Reaper with its hitbox the size of Miami and heals that need tons of line of sight to work seems weak.

Oct 29, 2017

From what I'm reading it is locked to 60fps no matter what, so this causes all sorts of reprojection artifacting when you turn your ship.

Definitely have noticed this on my CV1. Nothing seems to get rid of the constant ghosting.

This is where I'm at right now. I hope they address it soon because I'm definitely going to wait for a patch before I continue with the story.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
If anyone comes up with a fix for the blurriness when panning in VR (during flight) let me know. As soon as I stop turning, everything is crisp. As soon as I start turning again, objects become very blurry. Almost like double-vision. Not that bad, but not far from it either.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying the game.

I wish the game was GAAS tho (never thought i'd be saying this).. promise of future content would lessen my concerns about the games future.

MP only + F2P + GAAS would have been huge imo.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Not getting the best performance in VR, but I'm enjoying the game so far. $40 is the sweet spot for this game in terms of pricing.
Hopefully down the road they will add a Death Star assault map since it would be pretty cool to do the trench run.
It would also be great to see some Clone Wars stuff but I'm assuming that would be saved for a sequel (if the game is profitable enough).

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017

Quoting myself from earlier but I got it to work at higher fps by changing this file for steamvr. Changing settings in any of the normal ways didn't work at all. Idk if this could help with Oculus headsets too though.

I was able to get it to run at 90 fps through my Vive on my GTX 1080. Everything ran almost solid 90 except for when I tried Fleet Battle that had more frame drops but while I was playing I still didn't notice them that much.

So I went into this setting file and just modified 1 line. Under steam.app.1222730 change disableAsync to true.

50411822461_1ec5f5e68d_h.jpg

50411975412_9e84f2f024_h.jpg

My settings in game look like this and you can see it actually ran at 90, I could definitely tell the difference in headset.

50411975467_7d1ab994b7_h.jpg

50411822016_00dab6b11c_h.jpg

50411975622_96ee38f5b3_h.jpg

50411123383_0a3022e041_h.jpg

50411123453_32e761f7bc_h.jpg

Sorry for the bunch of phone pics, but I hope it helps others to get their game running smoother. I need to do some more testing tonight to get closer to smooth 90 at all times in Fleet Battle if possible. Steamvr supersampling or resolution scale both are no working for me and don't change anything about performance in this.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Something weird is going on with my game, not sure if anyone else is noticing it. The first round I play works perfectly fine. Everything is smooth, rock-solid 60fps, no problems there. As soon as that first round is over and I start a new one, it goes up to 200fps, which my monitor can't handle, so it stutters a lot and it's very uncomfortable to see.

Going back to the main menu doesn't fix it, I have to fully close the game and restart it.

I didn't have this issue with the campaign, it only happens in MP. Any idea what's causing it or if there's any fix? I want to play the game, but having to close it every time I finish one match and having to go through that ridiculously long loading screen every time is kinda painful.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Advanced power management feels kinda useless given that you don't get the bonus charges unless you're at max power for each system.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Something weird is going on with my game, not sure if anyone else is noticing it. The first round I play works perfectly fine. Everything is smooth, rock-solid 60fps, no problems there. As soon as that first round is over and I start a new one, it goes up to 200fps, which my monitor can't handle, so it stutters a lot and it's very uncomfortable to fix.

Going back to the main menu doesn't fix it, I have to fully close the game and restart it.

I didn't have this issue with the campaign, it only happens in MP. Any idea what's causing it or if there's any fix? I want to play the game, but having to close it every time I finish one match and having to go through that ridiculously long loading screen every time is kinda painful.
Yes this happens to me and I don't know how to fix it.

It's like it just ignores the display settings after the first match. I wouldn't mind it so much if my framerate didnt fluctuate between 75-200 wildly.

Works great for 1 match then loses the display settings thereafter. Changing the display settings from say 60 to 50 apply then back to 60 makes it lock in Menu but once I start a match its all over the place again.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Is there a way to report players? I was in a match and a player just sat in a corner of the map and rotated around and did nothing else, I assume to collect the xp.

Having played it a bit more today I feel like we shouldn't be able to full stop ships. I've gotten much better at not dying, but when your on an iffy at best team I have been watching the killcam I've been killed a good few times by players who have just entirely stoped and rotated about to shoot at things. The AI also has a habit of doing the same thing.
ACG pointed this out in their review as well. A lot of people due to the way movement and tracking works are putting their backs to debris and such and acting like turrets.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Advanced power management feels kinda useless given that you don't get the bonus charges unless you're at max power for each system.
Yeah, and lasers don't deplete if they're set to minimum like in the originals. They just lose the overcharge. Same with shields.

I'm thinking the speed of changing on basic controls is going to be more useful than incremental change. If you're changing power settings, it's because you need something and need it now.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
ACG pointed this out in their review as well. A lot of people due to the way movement and tracking works are putting their backs to debris and such and acting like turrets.
I...kinda see it as another way to play?
Like use all the stealth components and pick up defensive positions to punish people who simply rush in to capital ships without checking the area.

Maybe they could change it so at full stop your maneuverability goes right down but ships being at stand still seems like a normal Star Wars thing right?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think about 3 people (me included) posted about 20 pages ago that the fleet battle tutorial was gliteched. You got stuck trying to destroy the power core.

It's been fixed post patch so you can complete it now.

Edit - vr wise mine was fine yesterday and the first couple of games, but I've got serious ghosting now. It's like double vision when I turn my head.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Okay, quoting myself here. This article from Kotaku says I'm supposed to be able to free look around my cockpit in VR. I can't. I've gotta be missing an option or something. Anybody know?
kotaku.com

Tips For Playing Star Wars: Squadrons

Star Wars: Squadrons is here and it’s pretty damn good, especially if you enjoy space combat and yelling out Star Wars references in the middle of battles. But it can also be a hard or frustrating game to wrap your head around at first, so here are some tips I’ve picked up after playing and...

Odd, I'm on base PS4 and VR works fine. Can free look in both the hanger and cockpit. Might be silly but unplug your vr and camera and plug them back in? Could be one of the connections is not reading correctly.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Like use all the stealth components and pick up defensive positions to punish people who simply rush in to capital ships without checking the area.

Maybe they could change it so at full stop your maneuverability goes right down but ships being at stand still seems like a normal Star Wars thing right?
The only time a "valid gameplay mechanic" becomes a problem is when it becomes the "best way" to play. And right now reports everywhere of their kill cams all being similar and/or the same is a problem.

"Another way to play" needs to be more punishable in my opinion if it's going to be something that completely negates the "flight" part of a flight sim.

It's supposed to be dogfighting not a bunch of people just sitting still laser sniping each other. I don't see the fun in that and think it's bogus personally.

Oct 29, 2017

I mean, bringing a starfighter full stop and shooting in the middle of a dogfight is almost never a thing that's in Star Wars.

Nov 28, 2017
Didn't know it was on by default. That shit annoyed tf out of me in CoD and I'm guessing its the same shit here. Maybe I'll grab it just for SP when its cheaper.

You're better off getting this on PC if you've got a decent rig. Don't get it on console if you're interested in MP. It's the same tripe that's getting infested across the crossplay landscape in all games (except a few like Apex Legends, R6Siege etc on Consoles) and it will come to an end sooner, rather than later, and the constant downplaying of your irrefutable opinions, through lies and propaganda will never stop. Don't reply or feed the trolls.

"iT's aN oPtIon!!!"
"jUsT dIsAbLe iT!!!"
"b-B-bUt mUh fReNzZzZ tHo!!!"
"cOnSoLeS hAve kEybOaRd aNd mOuSe sUpPoRt nOw sO iT'S eQuAL!!!
"tHeRe iS nO aDvAntAge oThEr tHaN tHiS!!!"
"oH nO! i'M oUtRaGeD aT beInG cALLeD a cHeAT! wE'Re nOt cHeAteRs!!! dOn'T cALL uS tHaT!!!"

Just look at the replies in this very thread from trolls crying and strawmanning my post, into shit that I've NEVER said in the past, let alone here. Cheating? LMFAO. Anyone with a functioning half-a-braincell would know that cheating on PC, though inevitable, is a minority of a minority issue and can easily controlled (not eradicated) through effective anti-cheat measures (even w/o intrusive kernel level access to our machines, that's getting prevalent these days, and eventually/deservedly getting bad PR if it ends up getting found out by the community).

No amount of matchmaking algorithms, can match or overcome the power of brute force hardware superiority of the PC, let alone the open/versatile nature of the platform in general. The downplaying of this by ANY MEANS is pure disingenuous shite and a bad faith argument.

60FPS console gaming? ROFL. How about 6 times 60FPS, all at having the lowest input lag ON ANY PANEL CURRENTLY ON THE PLANET (3.8MS, now I accept that input lag takes into account other variables such as game engines, custom API's/wrappers, input devices etc, but you get the general gist of the argument being NO currently available HDMI 2.0 or upcoming HDMI 2.1 device on the planet can match up to this kind of insane performance), Hmm? And then there are proprietary GPU vendor technologies like Nvidia Reflex (I'm sure AMD will have an alternative to this, with RDNA2, and who knows what's Intel's been cooking up with their Odyssey line of mid-range GPU's that are about to hit next year...), which will reduce it EVEN FURTHER.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Arbitrary resolutions (AI based solutions like DLSS 2.0 and it's AMD counterpart, if they have it, will push performance EVEN MORE, while internally rendering the games at resolutions lower than even console counterparts, but IQ and perf that consoles can only dream of), arbitrary framerates, HFR (144Hz, 165Hz, 240Hz, 360Hz), HFR VRR, .ini file edits, PERFORMANCE MODS, dropping settings ON THE FLY WITHOUT EVEN RESTARTS in accessible games using console commands for competitive advantage (~, think r_picmip, cg_shadows and cg_fov from Quake III, but in modern games with PC crossplay on consoles), LOWEST POSSIBLE INPUT LAG ON ANY PLATFORM, multi-monitor setups, Current PC VR HMD's that shit on PSVR (and I'm sure they will shit on PSVR2 as well when it's released) etc, and I can go on for an eternity.

Pure hardware advantage is IRREFUTABLE, and Nvidia Ampere with AMD RDNA2, are going to be the conduit of that level of perf to mainstream consumers, so much that SONY/MSFT/NTDO will be forced to make it MANDATORY to have ONLY console crossplay on by default and PC crossplay as "opt-in" from console players. They get ZERO revenue or advantage by allowing PC crossplay, especially in 3RD party games (1ST party games as well, for MSFT and I mean advantage for consoles).

Console players (I mean console ONLY players who buy their choice of a console and stick with it for an entire generation, not PC players who buy consoles because they couldn't find players in multiplayers games on PC) ONLY WANT TO CROSSPLAY WITH OTHER CONSOLES. PC players obviously want their lobbies filled with actual human players instead of staring at matchmaking screens or their walls IRL, once the 1st week is over (as I said earlier, it won't be the normal case of every other game where there's crossplay begging happening, because this sub-genre of Star Wars has a decent following on PC), so the will the constant downplay of hardware advantage of the PC are understandable, to make it "seem" like consoles and PC's are "EQUAL", when in reality, it's laughable.

"Opt-in" PC crossplay and "Opt-put" Console crossplay, by default, is the inevitable future. Console players will "enable it" if they feel like doing so. Instead of forcing the PC player pool down the console player's throat. "It's just optional" as it should be.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I can't get the throttle of my Thrustmaster 16000m FCS Hotas to register in Squadrons (PC). I think it has to do with how I had to set up my profile in T.A.R.G.E.T. to play TIE Fighter, since the game only accepts one joystick and I had to do some black magic to get both peripherals to count as one. However that was a long time ago and I forget most of the details. Is there an option in T.A.R.G.E.T. to just revert back to a default profile?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
It turns out the HOTAS sticks get a massive dead zone.

I knew something was wonky while I was playing. I was constantly oversteering, and it was due to the analog zone that is actually detected only being 1/4 of the outer stick radius.

Definitely shelving this until this is fixed.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I mean, bringing a starfighter full stop and shooting in the middle of a dogfight is almost never a thing that's in Star Wars.
I mean more lying in wait defensively, not so much stopping in a dogfight.

I think maybe reducing the maneuverability a ton when full stopped could be a solution? Then if you just stop mid dogfight you can't track a close range moving target easily.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
The whole stand still and move around like a carousel around NPCs in the hangar and briefing just feels so arachic. The NPCs stand there doing nothing unless swirling my camera over to them and hitting a button. I can't move around the hangar, I am locked to the ground. This is just so limiting.

Oh and 'turn around back to mission' in a space combat sim? Common.

Aside from that I am enjoying the space combat. I came in with experience from playing years of FreeSpace so this is a little more basic but still fun.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
I was able to get it to run at 90 fps through my Vive on my GTX 1080. Everything ran almost solid 90 except for when I tried Fleet Battle that had more frame drops but while I was playing I still didn't notice them that much.

So I went into this setting file and just modified 1 line. Under steam.app.1222730 change disableAsync to true.

50411822461_1ec5f5e68d_h.jpg

50411975412_9e84f2f024_h.jpg

My settings in game look like this and you can see it actually ran at 90, I could definitely tell the difference in headset.

50411975467_7d1ab994b7_h.jpg

50411822016_00dab6b11c_h.jpg

50411975622_96ee38f5b3_h.jpg

50411123383_0a3022e041_h.jpg

50411123453_32e761f7bc_h.jpg

Sorry for the bunch of phone pics, but I hope it helps others to get their game running smoother. I need to do some more testing tonight to get closer to smooth 90 at all times in Fleet Battle if possible. Steamvr supersampling or resolution scale both are no working for me and don't change anything about performance in this.

Judging by your GPU usage you should be in motion smoothing territory or atleast not hitting 90 FPS. Basically the game is locked to 60 whether you notice this is up to you :)

www.youtube.com

Star Wars Squadrons PSA - Refresh Rate Stutter Issue! - Watch Before Buying - See First Post

Exclusive Plague Tale Requiem Hands on Previewhttps://youtu.be/8N4xdtwdXHICheck out the Last of Us Part 1 REVIEW! https://youtu.be/64EmsjJHJYcMy New Saints R...
answers.ea.com

Re: Refresh Rate bug

Yeah I have the same issue on a 2080 Super with the Oculus Rift S. The game gets really choppy / stutters in VR when pitching or rolling the ship.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Odd, I'm on base PS4 and VR works fine. Can free look in both the hanger and cockpit. Might be silly but unplug your vr and camera and plug them back in? Could be one of the connections is not reading correctly.

Thanks. Yeah, I've unplugged everything, rebooted, etc. Still nothing. When I turn my head, the whole screen turns with me. I even booted up other games to see if free look works and it does, even in the Battlefront VR mission. I'm at a loss.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Just had a very cool Rebels/Squadron interaction. I'm currently watching Star Wars Rebels for the first time and playing story mode in Squadrons.

In Squadrons Wedge mentions how he was recruited out of the Imperial Skystrike Academy. Later in the same day I went to watch Rebels and the next episode is how Wedge is recruited from Skystrike Academy!

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
So, I've just started the game, and I'm really loving it. The game feels and looks great, and I'm loving how much it feels like the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games.

Is it just me, or does this feel like a test from EA, though? The $40 proce tag, the lack of next gen versions or even upgrades, and the little marketing leading up to release really makes me feel like EA didn't trust the game, so they released it to gauge interest for a future sequel or DLC. Only having 8 ships feels light for an IP with tons of options to choose from.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Getting a whole lot of MP battles where the person just camps by their cruiser or by some debris as cover and sits stationary. I get this is a valid mechanic, but I don't think anyone bought this game so they can wrack up kills as a turret. Eliminating the ability to stop entirely or penalizing stopping entirely by requiring full engine power for a complete brake might counter the issue.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if the seemingly uneven VR support comes down to the fact that the dev team was all working at home and didn't have access to the array of VR devices that they probably had at the EA office.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Welp for anyone with a PS4 Hori Flight Stick HOTAS used for Ace Combat 7 and thinking about using this on the PC, you probably are better off getting another stick. Using it on the PC just falls short because it maps as a controller rather than a true HOTAS and some of the buttons can't be mapped properly in Squadrons. It also feels a bit stiff but I think that can probably feel better with some sensitivity adjustments. Kinda disappointed that this won't get the job done. It's almost there but just falls short.

Oct 27, 2017
Played a little bit last night (opening campaign, practice, and fleet battle tutorial). Enjoying it a lot so far. Got the bugged fleet battle tutorial and didn't realize it until after 30 mins or so lol. Restarted and didn't die then was able to finish it quickly. First time using a HOTAS since Ace Combat 6 on Xbox 360. I bought the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS 4 for PS4. Taking some adjustment but I'm glad I bought it. Anyone know if the Hori HOTAS for PS4 is any good? Planing to check out the VR this weekend.