• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Does it unlock on Steam tonight?

Hope setting up the HOTAs isn't a pain in the ass. I'd like to plug the damn thing in and it just work, but not holding my breath.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was obsessed with the X-Wing novels as a teen, but I don't know if they still hold up.

XWRogueSquadron1.jpg

The first Alphabet Squadron book blew me away, though!

I was actually looking at that on Amazon the other day, but I wasn't sure if adult me could stomach it.

I'm sure I would have loved it back in the day though.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Oh my, once you get past the 30fps issues on PC it´s buttery smooth and the first two missions are pretty nice. Controls well with a controller, super different to Ace Combat as expected. With a HOTAS it has to be amazing, and on VR it will be even better. Really feel like i´m missing those two elements to enjoy it even more.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
For those who've tried both, would it be better to start with flat and get a feel for the mechanics, or jump straight into VR?

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got this pre-installed and will test it out 11pm tonight.

Need to work out what i will map it to on my Warthog Hotas

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
This game is cool. The missions seem a little too streamlined compared to something like X-Wing/Tie Fighter but it feels good to play. Just finished Mission 2 (the one where you do a thing with a Star Destroyer) and so far it's good.

As for performance it's sub-60 on a slightly overclocked 2080, high settings, 1440p. I need that 3080.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
So for HOTAS users, for a fast paced game like this, do you think the x axis (moving joystick left and right) is better for roll or yaw? I tend to use roll on x axis in games like Elite Dangerous (z twist for yaw), but I feel like it might be different in a game like this.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
So for HOTAS users, for a fast paced game like this, do you think the x axis (moving joystick left and right) is better for roll or yaw? I tend to use roll on x axis in games like Elite Dangerous (z twist for yaw), but I feel like it might be different in a game like this.

X for yaw in this and other space sims in the Xwing/Freespace style, 100%.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you play flat if you can go VR? It's literally another world of gaming.

Sure, but with Ace Combat, for example, found the transition in VR much smoother getting used to the feel & flow of the game in flat first. Wondering if anyone had similar experience here since it's deeper mechanically.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
For those who've tried both, would it be better to start with flat and get a feel for the mechanics, or jump straight into VR?
I haven´t tried both since I do not have a VR headset, but playing without it feels like the game would truly come to life on VR. You will gain the ability to look around the cockpit while flying and check your surroundings. On the controller, you have to click twice on the right stick to just move the camera, and have to give up ship controls while doing so.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy Shit this reminds me so much of the original Tie-Fighter while flying.
There is a much greater sense of speed, some things have changed but quick changing energy sub systems is still in my muscle memory lol.

This was clearly designed with fans of the originals in mind! Playing with a Joystick feels great!

starwarssquadrons_202tkjfi.png

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So how would this work with quest VR? Am I going to be using the quest controller's which probably aren't the best or would I be able to plug in my elite controller to the computer and have it work that way?

Oct 27, 2017
Read some reviews and bought it for Xbox One. Looks fantastic.
Haven't played a true Star Wars slave battle game for many many years. Can't wait.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Played the first mission (not sure if it counts as the first two, tho), and from an absolute fanboy of the 90's PC "simulators" that still play them nowadays (thanks, XWAUpgrade), my feelings are pretty much summed here:

QueasyHighlevelHapuka-size_restricted.gif

I have some issues with the targeting controls, but this is an absolute triumph. To anyone around here who may have worked on this: Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Now go and make an expansion with a full-fledged campaign, pretty please :P

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
So I can confirm the Steam VPN to Australia trick works.

Whoever, the game will lock to 30fps unless you use fullscreen, set framerate to 60 and use ingame Vsync. Disgusting port so far based on that...

EDIT: Nevermind. Great performance but there´s definitely a bug with the settings. Game locks to 30fps when alt-tabbing and needs to be left at 60hz, fullscreen, V-sync on to go over 60. If it locks to 30, chaging the resolution to something else and then returning to the desired one seems to do the trick.
What VPN do you use? Is there a free one or trial I can get my hands on for a few hours? Do I need to stay on the VPN to play or can I go back once I unlock the game?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Played the first mission (not sure if it counts as the first two, tho), and from an absolute fanboy of the 90's PC "simulators" that still play them nowadays (thanks, XWAUpgrade), my feelings are pretty much summed here:

QueasyHighlevelHapuka-size_restricted.gif

I have some issues with the targeting controls, but this is an absolute triumph. To anyone around here who may have worked on this: Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Now go and make an expansion with a full-fledged campaign, pretty please :P
Wait there's not a full-fledged campaign?

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah as someone who loved loved loved TIE Fighter and X-Wing and all of the 90s Lucasarts flight sims, THANK YOU (EA) FOR THIS!

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
What VPN do you use? Is there a free one or trial I can get my hands on for a few hours? Do I need to stay on the VPN to play or can I go back once I unlock the game?
ExpressVPN but it´s not a free one unfortunately. I only did this trick once before back when Fallout 4 launched and back then I did it with a free one, but I do not know which.

You need to stay on the VPN whenever you launch the game. If you close the game after closing the VPN it will "lock" itself again, though you will not have to "decrypt" the game again fortunately.

Wait there's not a full-fledged campaign?
I think he means an expansion with an additional campaign like they used to do in the 90s. Which would be super cool.

JCLShay

Apr 4, 2020
Honestly, when the trailer first hit and the $40 tag made me think this was going to be some Gotham Imposters-ass Star Wars flying game. But, I'm loving the reviews! :: Insert that Palpatine mean about good surprises ::

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
ExpressVPN but it´s not a free one unfortunately. I only did this trick once before back when Fallout 4 launched and back then I did it with a free one, but I do not know which.

You need to stay on the VPN whenever you launch the game. If you close the game after closing the VPN it will "lock" itself again, though you will not have to "decrypt" the game again fortunately.
I'll check it out, thanks!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I haven´t tried both since I do not have a VR headset, but playing without it feels like the game would truly come to life on VR. You will gain the ability to look around the cockpit while flying and check your surroundings. On the controller, you have to click twice on the right stick to just move the camera, and have to give up ship controls while doing so.

Just the type of thing I wanted to know, thanks. Sounds like a somewhat of a cumbersome solution. Straight to VR it is

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Oh man, I forgot I had $10 AND my EA Play runs out tomorrow, LOL.

That gave me $5 off for being an EA Play member, and $10 off from the credit I got with the accidental listing of delisted games I purchased from Microsoft.

Just got the game for $26 on Xbox! 🕺

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Working late all week but I'm going to try to get an hour in tonight on Rift S. Pretty much my ideal VR game. I'm loving how much this resembles the old Xwing games.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just read it, they are adding EA Play (lets you play new games for 10 hours like a demo), not EA Play Pro (the thing that lets you play new games free). On top of that EA Play lets you play some of their old games for free, so they'll be adding things like The Sims, Mass Effect, Garden Warfare and other games like that. Games that are a few years old.
Got it! Thanks for the response again. I knew there was some aspect of EA's service that was coming, but when I didn't see responses about Game Pass in the first few pages, I knew I must've misunderstood.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017

Did you by any chance need to change anything on Steam for this to work? I just tried it with Tunnelbear, I had quit Steam before connecting, then started steam again but it still says the game will be playable on release day. Or is this VPN just blocked by Steam?

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark

Hm, if I'm reading the joystick layout right, the default setting for the axis is that X is yaw and twist is roll. That's opposite from the defaults in Elite, I think. That'll take a little getting used to.

Also I need to find out what to put where on my Thrustmaster HOTAS X, I'm short one button on the stick itself to fit both auxilliaries and a contermeasure button there, unless I move targeting completely off the stick.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the prologue. Oh how I wish I could see all around my ship. Xbox am cry. But the mechanics seem fun enough. Like how it didn't feel as fast paced as BF2s flying.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was surprised by this game, with it being a lower priced game.

I didn't expect much from the campaign, just a short tutorial, with the focus mainly on multiplayer, but happy to see it's around a 7-8 hour story and the full VR support is awesome too.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I want to preorder the Windows digital version from Best Buy but it doesn't say which client it is for. I don't really care in the end because I have $25 credit expiring and need to spend it, but would prefer Steam or EGS over the godawful Origin. Anyone know? The product page doesn't seem to say.