• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
headotedjp8.png

CAMPAIGN
The Rebels have won the Battle of Endor, destroying the second Death Star and the Emperor within, but the Empire lives on. This is where the story begins, A New Republic has been born and the shattered forces of the Empire aim to end the New Republic. Throughout the story you will alternate between two customizable pilots, Rao Highmoon that flies in the New Republic's Vanguard Squadron and Case Kassandora from the Empire's Titan Squadron. The galaxy is changing and the end of the war is near, what will you become? Its demise, or its savior?

THE SQUADRONS
VANGUARD SQUADRON - The New Republic

Vanguard Squadron operates largely in the Bormea Sector, handling pockets of Imperial resistance and defending key New Republic planets like Chandrila and Brentaal IV. They specialize in rapid response attacks, high-risk rescue missions, and ambushing Imperial capital ships, going by their squadron motto: "Fearless to the Finish". Recently, Vanguard has been picked to tackle a special covert assignment.

NEW REPUBLIC STARFIGHTERS
  • T-65 X-WING STARFIGHTER
  • BTL Y-WING BOMBER
  • RZ-1 A-WING INTERCEPTOR
  • UT-60D U-WING SUPPORT CRAFT
TITAN SQUADRON - The Fallen Empire
Titan Squadron has a reputation throughout the Empire to match their unofficial motto: "Unrelenting Might." Titan's pilots are trained to lead heavy strikes against enemy stations and planets, and scatter hostile armadas ahead of Imperial capital ships. Though their numbers have diminished since Endor, that has only made Titan's remaining pilots more determined to crush the New Republic.

IMPERIAL STARFIGHTERS
  • TIE/LN FIGHTER
  • TIE/SA BOMBER
  • TIE/IN INTERCEPTER
  • TIE/RP REPEATER

CUSTOMIZATION
In Squadrons, both of your pilots (Imperial and New Republic) and all eight of your starfighters can be customized. When you start up, you'll have the traditional appearances of your pilots equipped: an orange flight suit for the New Republic and a black one for the Empire. Your pilot appearances will be used in both the single-player story mode and the multiplayer modes.

In general, most cosmetics are unlocked via Glory points that you earn while playing. Both pilots will have multiple heads to choose from between the factions (with the New Republic having non-human unlockable options as well), plus different voice styles, too. All options can be mixed and matched freely.

You'll be able to get pretty creative with how your pilot looks with options for different heads, full-body flight suits, torso apparel, legwear, helmets, and gloves.
Whether you want to represent one of the classic iconic X-wing squadrons like Red Squadron, stay true to the noble values of Vanguard Squadron, or rep an entirely different paint job, you'll be able to do so. The same goes for the Imperial fleet. While many pilots may prefer the uniform look, there are also some special customization options for Titan Squadron's starfighters that remain true to the Empire's aesthetic.

That includes your cockpit as well. You'll be able to add small knick-knacks on your dashboard, like a hologram of the galaxy, or hang a small Stormtrooper helmet from above. There are lots of little options that you can decorate with and, despite being inside, your enemies will get to see them when they watch a kill-cam of their defeat. While the singleplayer story seats you in traditional cockpits for each mission, players will be allowed to have more creative liberties in their multiplayer experience.

Starfighters can customize their hull/paint job, decals, cockpit hologram, dashboard miniatures, and hanging flair. If you prefer a more authentic and traditional experience an option has been implemented for you to make it so all other starfighters appear in their default state.

SHIP COMPONENTS
As you play through the game, you'll be able to unlock components (via Requisition points you earn) for your starfighters. These can be equipped to change how your ships function in subtle or radical ways. Some impact your starfighters passively, such as by reinforcing their defensive capabilities with different hulls or shields, while others have more active changes, such as what abilities you can use. Creating loadouts that suit both your playstyle and the situations you face will help pilots excel in combat. In total, there are up to seven component slots, though ships without shield generators only have six. (Primary Weapons, Auxiliary (x2), Countermeasures, Hull, Shields, Engines)

POWER MANAGEMENT
One of the core features in Squadrons is the power management system that allows you to divert power to a particular subsystem: engines, lasers, or shields. For the most part, having balanced power will get the job done, but there'll likely be times where you want to prioritize one system in particular. Raising the power diverted to one system will increase its efficiency while lowering it will do the opposite. Having one of the three systems at max power, though, will give your ship an otherwise unique ability that it can't regularly perform. Players will have the option to choose between a basic, simplified power management system and a more advanced one that allows them to more precisely control how much power goes to each subsystem.

MULTIPLAYER MODES
DOGFIGHT

Challenge the galaxy's finest in 5v5 dogfights. The mission is simple, but the execution requires skill. Finetune your loadouts for speed and accuracy, compose your squadron with different starfighter classes, and eliminate the enemy to claim your glory.

FLEET BATTLES
Unite with your squadron online or play against bots to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles – a multi-stage, objective-based contest between two squadrons of five. Advance the frontline by dominating the enemy in intense dogfights and carry out bombing runs to take out capital ships protecting your ultimate goal: the destruction of the massive, enemy flagship.

PRE-ORDER BONUS:
star-wars-squadrons-preorder-bonus.jpg

PC SPECS
RECOMMENDED (NON-VR )/ MINIMUM (VR)
  • Processor (AMD): Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Processor (Intel): Intel i7-7700
  • Memory: 16GB
  • Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 480 or Equivalent
  • Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1060 or Equivalent
  • DirectX: 11.1
  • Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 Kbps or faster Internet connection
  • Hard Drive Space: 40GB
MINIMUM (NON-VR)
  • Processor (AMD): Ryzen 3 1300X
  • Processor (Intel): Intel i5 6600k
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon HD 7850 or Equivalent
  • Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 660 or Equivalent
  • Multiplayer Online Connection Requirements: 512 Kbps or faster Internet connection
RECOMMENDED (VR)
  • Processor (AMD): Ryzen 7 2700X
  • Processor (Intel): Intel i7-7700
  • Memory: 16GB
  • Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 570 or Equivalent
  • Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1070 or Equivalent
FAQ:
Will VR be supported?
Yes, on both PC and PS4. The entire campaign and multiplayer can be played in VR.

Which VR headsets are supported?
All major PC headsets and PSVR. (EA recommends Oculus and PSVR)

Which eras are in the game?
Star Wars: Squadrons is set immediately after the end of the original trilogy, just after the second Death Star was destroyed and the Battle for Endor is over.

Supported POV?
The game is entirely in first-person unless viewing spectator mode.

Does the game support cross-platform play?
Yes across all platforms.

Supported input methods on PC?
Keyboard/mouse, (HOTAS) hands on throttle-and-stick, and controller.

Supported input methods on console?
Controller and HOTAS (Which will be added in a patch on release)

What About Microtransactions Or Loot Boxes?
There are no microtransactions. You cannot spend real money on anything — once you buy the game you own it all and have to unlock everything through in-game progression.

Is this GaaS game and is there a Season Pass?
No.

Will there be a next gen release of Star Wars: Squadrons?
No.

Will there be next gen upgrades for Star Wars: Squadrons?
No.

STAR WARS ERA DISCORD
discord.gg

Join the Star Wars Era Discord Server!

Check out the Star Wars Era community on Discord - hang out with 79 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

(Part of the server is dedicated to gaming, including Squadrons & Battlefront 2. Also a great place to play with members of the ERA community.)

TRAILERS AND GAMEPLAY
OFFICIAL REVEAL TRAILER

OFFICIAL GAMEPLAY TRAILER

OFFICIAL SINGLEPLAYER PREVIEW

HUNTED CG SHORT

RIP to my image OT.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Squadron [OT] X vs |o| was robbed! But still a great OT.

Looking forward to reviews, have the money for this waiting in my wallet.

Last edited:

PhotogDoug

Nov 10, 2017
Dayton, OH
Can't decide what platform to get this on. Having a Saitek x52 I can dust off has me leaning PC, but sometimes I just like to fly from the couch.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I'm preeeetty close on pushing the button on this. I loved X-wing and Tie fighter games back in the day.

Shame I don't have a flight stick, but maybe a controller would do at first.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Cautiously optimistic for this one. Just waiting on reviews to get it on Steam. Crossplay is a nice addition too!

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Great OT egg

Surprisingly looking forward to this one, which given it's an EA Star Wars game is quite the turn around.

FLEET BATTLES
Unite with your squadron online or play against bots to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles – a multi-stage, objective-based contest between two squadrons of five. Advance the frontline by dominating the enemy in intense dogfights and carry out bombing runs to take out capital ships protecting your ultimate goal: the destruction of the massive, enemy flagship.

5v5 multi stage battles seeking to destroy the enemy flagship... wait a second...

Oct 26, 2017
Players will have the option to choose between a basic, simplified power management system and a more advanced one that allows them to more precisely control how much power goes to each subsystem.

Ah! That would explain why some previews made it sound like there were only 4 settings total.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sweet that this is AU$50 and not AU$110 or some dumb shit

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited!

I'm not sure how bothered about skins I am though. I normally go mad for unlocking and collecting skins but... just seems weird to have red and blue go-faster stripes on a TIE Fighter, you know?

Oct 27, 2017
Really hoping this turns out well. Not only does it having me dusting off my PSVR, but my PS4 too. On top of that, I resubbed to PSN for the first time in a couple of years.

I actually don't really even want to play multiplayer. The one VR mission on the first Battlefront basically sold me on this. If it can just provide a couple of handfuls of missions that are fun and can create that aura of being part of a Star Wars space battle then it will be a success.

PhotogDoug

Nov 10, 2017
Dayton, OH
I'm excited!

I'm not sure how bothered about skins I am though. I normally go mad for unlocking and collecting skins but... just seems weird to have red and blue go-faster stripes on a TIE Fighter, you know?

So you're saying you don't want to outfit your x-wing with a window deal of an Ewok peeing on a Tie Fighter? I think you'd be missing out.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

Preloaded already on PS4. The PSVR is also standing by.
Can't wait to finally play this. The one genre I've always loved the most and missed so dearly since those Wing Commander and Tie Fighter days.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Really want to see reviews, but I will probably pick this up. I have a full HOTAS setup and VR. This looks really good.

Jun 20, 2018
Torn over wether to get on PS4 (for VR) or Xbox (for the Series X improvements). VR is probably more exciting but in all likelihood will make me sick and I won't end up continuing with it.

Unforgiven

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting on reviews to drop. I find it quite strange that they haven't yet. I really want this to be good :)

OP
OP
egg

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Can't find anything regarding frame rate on consoles for this, I assume it will be 60fps but is there any confirmation?

Nope which is strange about this release. they don't plan to support it for every long. They aren't releasing it on next gen and they aren't doing any next gen patches.

Oh I was thinking about picking it up on the Series X, so hopefully it has some good One X enhancements,

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this turns out to be good.

The VR mission in Battlefront was one of those amazing experiences that took me back to my childhood, so if this can pull it off as a fuller experience then I'm very excited for it,

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Nope which is strange about this release. they don't plan to support it for every long. They aren't releasing it on next gen and they aren't doing any next gen patches.

Good catch lol, thanks.

That's strange and puts me off. Is it a 4k30 game or is there a performance/unlocked mode? I'd happily play it on Series X at 4k60!

Sorry if this has been asked

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
Just tried the first mission in VR.

Ok, I am now a starship pilot, I am no longer a regular joe with an office job.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's strange and puts me off. Is it a 4k30 game or is there a performance/unlocked mode? I'd happily play it on Series X at 4k60!

Sorry if this has been asked

Based on the PC Requirements and the fact they don't have to target VR on Xbox, I'd be shocked if it wasn't already 4k/60 on xbox one x with dynamic res.
1800p / 60 worst case