• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
looks pretty damn solid for in-engine, i don't know how much i'll play MP, never could get into BF flight modes, but i'll support it for psvr.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Anybody thinking on the Singleplayer campaing on this needs to remember the Singleplayer campaing on Battlefront 2

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I feel the same way. Five ships with a lot of personality visually and mechanically is a big draw for me. It's why Rainbow 6 Siege is what I play most these days.

What I would like, however, is for the maps to feel like you're part of a bigger engagement, like the old Rogue Squadrons did.
Yep. Even just having other ships shooting at each other in the very very far background (so you just get to see the larger ships and otherwise just lasers flying around) to keep the screen just a tiny bit busier than it'd be otherwise would be enough. Not so much you can't tell your actual enemies apart, obviously.

Gosh, just thinking about this and what it can potentially be...!

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I love the idea, but I am so bad at flying in games like this. Even using the vehicles in Battlefront and Battlefield.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Also, interesting place in the timeline -- New Republic vs. Empire so it's between the original and sequel trilogies. I like!

I personally like 5v5. And with room for expansions it could be like Rainbow Six Siege with a generation-long life.

Just realized that they picked this era because:

1) Still lots of capital ships accessible to both sides
2) Empire can install shields on their TIE fighters so they won't get smoked and makes the 5v5 battles more plausible since the Empire used to rely on quantity whereas Rebels focused on survivability.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It's interesting. Didn't expect it. Jeff grubb seems to indicate that this is a concerted effort of EA to draw back more ambitious Star Wars projects. I'm ok with that honestly. Just produce something of quality like Jedi Fallen Order

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Please don't suck.

I guess even a bad Star Wars themed space fighter game in VR would still be a cool experience but I'm hoping the campaign is more than a short lowish budget tack on merely there as a selling point for a mainly multiplayer game.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
5v5 is disappointing.

Man I really hope this isn't too much of a sim, if there isn't third-person I'm not buying.
5 vs 5 is perfect for VR tho, Eve Valkrie is 5 vs 5 on PSVR and is soooo much fun. I'm usually at the top of the leaderboards from playing against non VR noobs. Hoping it will be the same with this game lol. Seriously, us VR guys are going to have a major advantage. Its bigger advantage then kb/M over a controller.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
EA needed to get more mileage out of their $bn licensing deal with Disney, and they also needed to start learning to use VR. Assuming it's not a complete turkey, this is basically the game that EA needed to make.
- I wouldn't be surprised if PS4VR runs at 60hz with PS5VR maybe pushing that to 90 or even 120hz.
- games with very high movement speed can be ridiculously network sensitive. Going beyond 10 players may be problematic, especially for a cross-gen title due to CPU demands.

But I would view this game in a similar way to EA's reboot of Battlefront. It's probably not going to be perfect, but it will hopefully give them some idea of what to do with a sequel (assuming EA retains the license).

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
5 vs 5 is perfect for VR tho, Eve Valkrie is 5 vs 5 on PSVR and is soooo much fun. I'm usually at the top of the leaderboards from playing against non VR noobs. Hoping it will be the same with this game lol. Seriously, us VR guys are going to have a major advantage. Its bigger advantage then kb/M over a controller.
Yup, the advantage that VR gives in dogfights in space (I used to play a lot of Elite Dangerous) is hard to overstate.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Will buy this day 1 for PSVR support. I loved the snippet of it in Battlefront 1 and definitely want to support that.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Lots of room for expansion. There are endless TIE variants, sure hope we get the Striker and Punisher some day.
These rarities give me the fear.
screenshot2020-06-15a5mj6d.png

Those ships are like character classes, I'd bet they're going to be pretty conservative adding new ships at risk of pay-to-win. I imagine there will be mostly cosmetic microtransactions like above.

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting. Didn't expect it. Jeff grubb seems to indicate that this is a concerted effort of EA to draw back more ambitious Star Wars projects. I'm ok with that honestly. Just produce something of quality like Jedi Fallen Order

Which honestly makes complete sense.

EA seemed to have got stuck against these huge Star Wars projects and I honestly don't think everything needs to be. A Star Wars space battles/dogfighting game should be 101 with this license, and it doesn't require mountains of modes and features to make work.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why is anyone a fan of The Empire? :P

Rebels: "We fight for freedom! Hope! Cute fluffy kittens!"
Empire: "WE'RE TOTALLY NOT NAZIS IN SPACE I SWEAR!!!"

But, yup, it had lasers that went pew pew, Tie Fighters that goes WROOOOOOAAAAAA and that usual Star Wars theme.
I dunno, why did you remove your Sims' pool ladder?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
All the frostbite "in engine" trailers are bull shit. All Pre recorded videos, not accept this day and age if they want to impress ppl with their graphics wtf are they doing.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Really good trailer !

is this the only thing star wars related that EA will show?

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
The best part of the trailer was they had the Imperial pilot speak. I was afraid they were going to go the no talking route.

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope there are a bunch of AI fighters flying around as well. It would be extremely strange to have capital ships locked in combat and then only have 5 fighters on each side flying around.

Oct 25, 2017
VR? Awesome. Definitely in for PC then. I have an Oculus Quest that I've already used on PC through Link.
Starfighters was my favorite mode in Battlefront 2 until everyone stopped playing it so obviously this interests me.
I even played that mode in first person, as harder as that was. I got pretty good at it.
And full crossplay? Damn so this will actually have a population even for PC players!
This seems right up my alley. For $40 I can't complain too much.

Last edited:

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
It's a $40 Star Wars space combat game with full crossplay, full VR support, cosmetics earned through gameplay and heavy simulation elements like pre-planning strategies before battles and diverting power between subsystems in your ships and some of you are upset? Fucking hell. This is incredible shit. Smile for a change, you miserable lot!
This man gets it. I don't know what you people expect.

Oct 31, 2017
The PSVR game I always wanted. EA finally listened to us after so long.

I was beginning to worry that the only Star wars experience I would get in VR was that short Battlefront PSVR demo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that most of the time "In-engine Trailer" is a euphemism for prerendered CGI using the game engine to do offline rendering at higher asset and/or image quality than actual gameplay. Occasionally, it may be a realtime cutscene of sorts, again usually with higher asset and/or image quality than actual gameplay.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Fucking hell, please don't tell me VR is exclusive to Playstation. So frustrating. Actually re reading it I think I read it wrong so hoping for the best!

It's not, it even has crossplay between PC and PSVR...which is key, especially for us PC players because of low population numbers. Not sure if there's crossplay with non-VR players (they say crossplay on all platforms but that's still a little vague), but that would be even better!