• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
She had poor material in TLJ and then JJ made her a worse character by abandoning her and her development.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
...where has that become a "trope"?
been one for a while. there's a popular graphic out there you can google with asian grrl characters with a red or a blue or a green highlight.

actually was the first result for "asian grrl character"
4c2a8f1123fd3f2909cf15299c05de30.png

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it because at the same time Abrams introduces two new characters (Zorii and Jannah) that hardly get developed too. Why add new characters if you're not going to be doing anything with them? I guess he didn't know what to do with Rose either, otherwise he'd have brought her along with the gang.
I feel like he was just creating characters to put on the poster lol

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
She shouldn't have been given such a shit role in the first place. Her acting was certainly never the problem, she did good. How did they not know how that role would be looked at?

maybe, just maybe RJ isn't a cynical person and didn't think she would be received this way? she basically showed finn war profiteering and revealed the nastier side of all the surface level glamour while still being generally optimistic about the future, wow what a shit role. you may not be a fan of the execution personally but it's far from a shit role, she actually had characteristic purpose and presence which is more than i could say for a lot of the new characters that showed up in TRoS. really a shame what JJ did to her.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
So they introduce a badass black heroine, Rose is STILL in the movie and....racist win?
Yeah, going from being a new main character with depth, significant plot details, and love interest of one of the main characters to barely being in a movie for 76 seconds with a pat on the shoulder is definitely winning!

Jannah is cool, no denying it but she seemed created pretty much to talk/connect/whatever with Finn, like to distract from Finn having a crush on Poe/Rey/Rose. Outside of the intros, I think she only ever talked to the other black characters. They were sent on the ship to do the hard work while fly boy flew around.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TROS was a course correction for Rose. It's not the actors fault. It's not JJ's fault.

It is something, however, that JJ is just as guilty of so it feels a little hypocritical.

Rose was a pointless character. She is introduced just for the sake of.... ? She teaches Finn hope I guess? Idk.

The problem is the way Finn and Poe were handled they were just as pointless. What is Poe? The resistance's ace pilot. Ok? And then what? TROS tried to give him some compelling personality and backstory too little too late. What is Finn? He is a defected storm trooper. That sounds sweet we should explore that further.

Just kidding we are going to turn him into a resistance foot soldi- just kidding he is a general now. I didn't really buy his "i'm conflicted in what I believe in" shit either.

The Rey-Kylo Force Jedi Sith etc etc etc stuff is all largely great in this trilogy. They absolutely fumble the other parts.

The OT had this peasant teen from Tatooine unaware of his rich heritage and destiny. It had the princess of an entire planet of people who was secretly working for the rebellion. It had an initially anti-hero jaded smuggler just looking to capitalize on the world he lives in instead of trying to fix it.

They all go through their struggles together and their chemistry was great.

They did not get that right in this trilogy.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I don't get it because at the same time Abrams introduces two new characters (Zorii and Jannah) that hardly get developed too. Why add new characters if you're not going to be doing anything with them? I guess he didn't know what to do with Rose either, otherwise he'd have brought her along with the gang.

Zorii and Jannah were created as love interests for Poe & Finn respectfully to distance them from being gay in the movie and make sure they didn't interfere with the main white people from kissing.

Zorii was a love interest and a way to make Poe seem more cool/rebellious/more like Han, not someone who just learned a valuable lesson about being a leader. She was just a vehicle for his backstory. Sure, he left the gang but he still has the scoundrel in him so like him!

Jannah was a former trooper just like Finn and she is black so of course she would be a good match for Finn! Also they need Lando to feel more involved so let's get a wink and a nudge. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a comic spin-off for those two people, it could be good.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Zorii and Jannah were created as love interests for Poe & Finn respectfully to distance them from being gay in the movie and make sure they didn't interfere with the main white people from kissing.

Zorii was a love interest and a way to make Poe seem more cool/rebellious/more like Han, not someone who just learned a valuable lesson about being a leader. She was just a vehicle for his backstory. Sure, he left the gang but he still has the scoundrel in him so like him!

Jannah was a former trooper just like Finn and she is black so of course she would be a good match for Finn! Also they need Lando to feel more involved so let's get a wink and a nudge. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a comic spin-off for those two people, it could be good.

What a sad way you view movies....

Mudkip Xbox Series X

Alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2019
If she only had about a minute of screen time, is it true then that she was scrubbed from merchandise like shorts and toys as well?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I still feel sorry that she had to deal with the dregs of Star Wars fandom - nobody fuckin deserves that shite - but i'm the camp that was also not a huge fan of her character. Ham fisted "lessons" and dialogue, the silliest mini-arc of the movie and (imo) just the worst possible decision for her character at the end with the crashing into Fin to save him route.
Also - If Finn is now a 'General" in their little resistance - with all of the complete nothing he accomplished in both films - shouldn't Rose also have been a General by now? Wasn't she a wrench on the ship? Could have easily been the new helmsman or captain of their ship or something of that sort. But why expect them to start writing her character with any level of competency at this point.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
They could have cut the meaningless, 20 minute "we need to hack C-3PO" subplot. Nothing happens, and 3PO's memory wipe walked back a few scenes later. Give them time for actual character development.

I figured there be a payoff with C3PO getting his prequel memories back, but nope. It's nothing but filler.
But we got scenes with Babu Frik who was amazing. And Keri Russell who was too.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Yes, her absence was jarring. I can't wait for the Doctor Aphra adaptation to shut up those mouthbreathing racist neckbeards.

Isn't Doctor Aphra white? I mean, it's kinda hard to tell from the comics I read, so honest question. (To clarify, I wouldn't have a problem if she was white in the comics but played by a non-white actress in a TV series, but has anything been announced? I feel like I'm missing some info here).

Last edited:

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017

This entire film was a fan checklist. These characters were created as a checklist for Finn and Poe.

Rose was sidelined because it was on the checklist.

Also Rose being removed from all those shirts and promos (and replaced with an alien slug of all things) is fucked up. It makes we wonder if she requested that, or if Disney actually made that decision because people didn't like her.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand how people can like what they did with Jannah. Maybe in one of the other cuts of this film she had a more interesting role with more meaningful interactions with Lando and the other heroes but that didn't make it to the screen.

What we got makes her feel like a completely token character, it's like the writers thought she had to be black to be an "appropriate" love interest. Throw in a couple of lines about her being a former stormtrooper and that's it, now they are soul mates. She shoukd have been chopped out of the movie completely if that's all they had time for. Zorii could have been chopped out. Ochi and his dagger too. All this stuff doesn't need to be in the film if it's going to be treated so flippantly.

The whole script is a mess and it's mind-bending to think what was actually on the page before they hacked it apart to get down to 2 hours. Did they think they'd be allowed to release a 5 hour movie? They've slashed everything to the bone but there are still bizarre things that they left in randomly. Why does Lando talk to Jannah at the end despite there being no reason for it at all? They revealed that D-O knows the way to Exogol even though they left the tortured dagger side quest in the movie!? Why leave that in there?

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Aphra is Asian. Or, in Star Wars terms, she's from the Trade Federation.

Ah, ok, I figured this was the case when I saw your post. Cool. I heard some rumors of a Doctor Aphra series - which I would really love (liked her comics a lot) - but not sure if thruth to these rumors. Any confirmations? Leaks?

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Beyond fucked that this happened, be it KMT requesting it, JJ or Disney written or mandated and 8 pages of this thread tells me everything I need to know about how it's being received.

sad.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I didn't really care for the character at all but she is a fine actress who deserved better writing. I can't wait to see what she does next and can leave the sewer that is the toxic Star Wars fandom.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like he was just creating characters to put on the poster lol
More like to sell the toys. Pre-order your Zorii Bliss action figure now! Enjoy her inevitable comic book spin-off adventures!
s-l400.jpg

What's that? Rose was a pegwarmer last time? Well, let's not include much of her in the new movie or give her a better role. She can join Constable Zuvio in the dustbin of relevancy.
star-wars-4.jpg

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TROS was a course correction for Rose. It's not the actors fault. It's not JJ's fault.

It is something, however, that JJ is just as guilty of so it feels a little hypocritical.

Rose was a pointless character. She is introduced just for the sake of.... ? She teaches Finn hope I guess? Idk.

You even answer your own question here. You don't know.

She's there to echo Rey and Luke's journey as well as show Finn the importance of sticking together to keep moving forward.

The problem is the way Finn and Poe were handled they were just as pointless. What is Poe? The resistance's ace pilot. Ok? And then what? TROS tried to give him some compelling personality and backstory too little too late. What is Finn? He is a defected storm trooper. That sounds sweet we should explore that further.

Yea the ace pilot with an attitude that is toxic to the chain of command. Finn's defected storm trooper stuff is brought back up when they are capture. He takes on Plasma his former commanding officer.

They did not get that right in this trilogy.

They do get it right in TFA and TLJ.

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
All minority characters were clearly fucked over in this trilogy, including in the TLJ. It is just more apparent now that the trilogy is concluded.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Her character was terrible in TLJ and she should have died saving Finn, but replacing her with a random black chick love interest was gross as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm embarrassed to say I watched TROS and didn't even notice she was missing to be honest. A lot of characters weren't treated very well by the writers imo. I didn't enjoy the storyline with her and Finn and thought their scenes towards the end were just dumb.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I wasn't in love with Rose in TLJ, but I still liked the character largely because Tran is a dope actor. I was pretty excited to see how they'd develop her character in TRoS and then was equally disappointed that they basically waved at her as the movie drove past. What a waste.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They made it a point to show Poe having issues with holding another man's hand...another man who is your bud, saved your life at least once, you gave your jacket to, and undoubtedly have been on many missions with...cmon now.

That poster is just being ignorant.

I was pretty annoyed with the way they handled the Poe and Finn bromance, and the hand holding "no homo" bit was fucking pathetic.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
I love the actress. Don't like the character. Very apparent how sidelined she was in the movie. Reminds me how Jar Jar had no speaking lines in Ep 3.

Actually what they should've have done was to never had Rose like Finn. They had no chemistry what so ever.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, ok, I figured this was the case when I saw your post. Cool. I heard some rumors of a Doctor Aphra series - which I would really love (liked her comics a lot) - but not sure if thruth to these rumors. Any confirmations? Leaks?

I compiled everything we know here:

It's not confirmed or even solidly-rumored, but there's enough smoke to think something's coming. Probably animated and not live action.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
It's funny because a lot of people around here were also blaming JJ after Rian Johnson pretty much sidelined Finn too in TLJ.
It's crazy the amount of hate JJ gets, I don't get it at all. He supposedly sided with the racists and misogynists due to backlash when he received plenty of backlash for Rey and Finn in TFA. She wasn't his character and he just didn't do much with her unfortunately, if she was great in TLJ I'm sure she'd have more screen time.

They really should've had one director do this trilogy or consecutive films because having Rian do the middle just didn't help at all.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
More like to sell the toys. Pre-order your Zorii Bliss action figure now! Enjoy her inevitable comic book spin-off adventures!
s-l400.jpg

What's that? Rose was a pegwarmer last time? Well, let's not include much of her in the new movie or give her a better role. She can join Constable Zuvio in the dustbin of relevancy.
star-wars-4.jpg

The Last Jedi was very not toy friendly, they literally added one new trooper type with the guards, and then a stormtrooper with black stripes. Everyone else was just random dudes, and for toys the cool villain figs and costumed characters always sell better. TROS felt like it was trying to create tons of new toys with lot more "cool" characters, troopers, etc

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Did people really think Poe and Finn were gay because of a few bro grabs? I never got that vibe.
Poe and Finn developing a relationship would actually have been an interesting side story.
Assuming they actually did something with it.

But Disney would never do that. Considering they helpfully cut out the one lesbian kiss from certain markets.
Gay people = not internationally marketable.

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
I thought Rose' character was poorly written in The Last Jedi, in addition to her and Finn being pushed to probably the most boring sections of the sequel trilogy (Canto Blight). Add the fact that they wanted to concentrate on the main trio and wrap up their stories, adding Rose into the mix would've made The Rise of Skywalker an even bigger mess than it already is

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Did people really think Poe and Finn were gay because of a few bro grabs? I never got that vibe.
I didn't, but literally only because on a meta level, corporations are greedy, cynical cowards. Were it an indie film I'd 100% believe them to be setting up a romance with those characters, and I'm saying this as someone who gets miffed at people who read too much into close friendships and insist there's something there where there isn't.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
The Last Jedi was very not toy friendly, they literally added one new trooper type with the guards, and then a stormtrooper with black stripes. Everyone else was just random dudes, and for toys the cool villain figs and costumed characters always sell better. TROS felt like it was trying to create tons of new toys with lot more "cool" characters, troopers, etc
The Sith Faction that were in the story for, like 10 minutes, is as cynical as it gets. They don't even do anything different. They're just red.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I get the outrage, but she was a completely meaningless character, and not very well acted either.

it bothers me that people just can't help but give their take on Rose's character and KMT's acting in threads about how she was severely bullied out of a movie franchise. It just seems inappropriate.

I thought Rose' character was poorly written in The Last Jedi, in addition to her and Finn being pushed to probably the most boring sections of the sequel trilogy (Canto Blight). Add the fact that they wanted to concentrate on the main trio and wrap up their stories, adding Rose into the mix would've made The Rise of Skywalker an even bigger mess than it already is

This can't be true because they introduced a brand new character for Finn to partner up with. If they were worried about runtime, it'd actually be better to use an existing character

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
TBH, I'm pretty shocked she isn't as popular here as in other sites. She sounded like someone who would be comfy in the DSA. She's basically the character who would point out the Tulsa Massacre or how Central Park was built on the grounds of black landowners. She represents people who are more knowledgeable about the atrocities of life than most. That's why it made more sense for her to : to get Finn more invested team up with Finn than Poe and the purpose of Canto Blight: to get Finn more invested in the Resistance outside of Rey, Poe and self-preservation.

I saw her role in RoS as a diplomat going to different planets to convince them to fight for the cause and to help set up a new government after the First Order so that such a fascist government wouldn't form again. Afterwards she could have her adventure with Rey, Finn, Poe and BB-8 as the new adventuring crew as she learns to be more capable compared to her peers.

Last edited:

Exodus 1831

Oct 25, 2018
This can't be true because they introduced a brand new character for Finn to partner up with. If they were worried about runtime, it'd actually be better to use an existing character

honestly, I wasn't a fan of the new characters introduced in RoS either. Having Rose in the place of those characters would've worked better, but I feel that they should've just concentrated on the trio of Finn, Poe and Rey since they had great chemistry

Oct 27, 2017
Abrams views character like toys. He grows tired with old ones and gets distracted by new ones. The only existing characters he's remotely interested in in RoS are Rey and Kylo.