• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
None of Canto Bight was a waste of time and it's the most nonsense propagated idea imaginable.

Feel bad she got sidelined so obviously

Canto Bight is a huge waste of time, AND (more criminally) a huge waste of Justin Theroux who was the actual master code breaker they went there to find. Why cast an amazing actor like him to play a supposedly important part, only for it NOT to be an important part and only be used for a gag while Rose and Finn get dragged off to jail?

Oh, and then there's another master code breaker chillin' in the jail cell too 'cus why the hell not?

Canto Bight is dumb, and could have been almost anything else for Rose and Finn to be doing.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol yeah cool. Finn's entire arc was just an useless B-plot that went nowhere and his character became a joke. It was the definition of "I have no idea of what to do with that character".
Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams are very much the same when it comes to the treatment of PoC characters.

Have a dumb opinion on the quality of his role all you want but don't act like it's comparable. He still had a very strong portion of screen time. He was still a main character. Rose gets literally a minute in this. A pointless minute that only exists so they can say she's technically in the movie.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Canto Bight is a huge waste of time, AND (more criminally) a huge waste of Justin Theroux who was the actual master code breaker they went there to find. Why cast an amazing actor like him to play a supposedly important part, only for it NOT to be an important part and only be used for a gag while Rose and Finn get dragged off to jail?

Oh, and then there's another master code breaker chillin' in the jail cell too 'cus why the hell not?

Canto Bight is dumb, and could have been almost anything else for Rose and Finn to be doing.
Because it isn't all about plot. It was designed to show a different side of the world. The 1%. And it did a fine job of that.

People get so caught up on plot idiocy. So what if it didn't work out well. That's fine. It's star wars lol.

It's a garbage opinion that's nothing but hyperbole. Stop trying to convince people that they're wrong for enjoying it.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't get this love affair people have with Rian Johnson. People hate Rose because of his shit writing. It's his fault.

The Last Jedi is trash. Its a mixture of shitty attempts at marvel humor, subverting expectations, Reylo pandering, and merchandising. It's like people are forgetting how bad it is and are desperately trying to spin it as a masterpiece.

Both Johnson and Abrams are hacks when it comes to Star Wars. Neither should've touched this franchise.

The guy was clearly trying to take star wars in a new direction.

He made it final that Kylo can't be brought back to the light which I appreciated because it would feel like a cliche otherwise.

He distanced himself from midichlorians and went back to the force being a mystical energy and expanded the lore.

He set Rey up to be someone unique, a new bloodline. Not a Skywalker, Kenobi or Palpatine. This was someone who was meant to be totally original.

The movie was moving away from the Jedi vs Sith unlike the past 7 movies.

I appreciate the fact that Rian wanted to take it in a new direction with new things and not just keep going on about bringing people to the light side and the Jedi. It's supposed to be a whole galaxy, let's explore it a bit and stop focusing on the same things from the past movies.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I liked her. Thought she was kind of the everyman who had to more directly deal with the price of war, and served as a nice foil to Finn (who was more concerned about Rey and himself than anything else) and Poe (initially just a "it's not a big deal as long as we get a win" kinda guy.)

Yes. It didn't help that out of the 3 mains, Finn is like a white canvas who just woke up from being a brainwashed storm trooper and Rey is not very worldly and has been basically trapped in the same place since her childhood. We couldn't really get what the context of the world is. Rose gives us that context and the whole Canto arc shows not only Finn but the audience.

Oct 29, 2017
Because it isn't all about plot. It was designed to show a different side of the world. And it did a fine job of that.

People get so caught up on plot idiocy. So what if it didn't work out well. That's fine.

It's a garbage opinion

It's a garbage portion of the film. Almost every other storyline, set piece, moment, etc in TLJ is better than the entirety of Canto Bight. What good is showing us a different angle of the world/galaxy if it drags the rest of the movie down with it?

I don't need plot beat after plot beat after plot beat, and I'm perfectly fine with a jaunt down a less serious/different road in Star Wars. Star Wars is full of that stuff. Doesn't mean it's always done well, or enjoyably.

Canto Bight is what truly robbed Rose, and us.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
So since we are all going to die I want you to sit in here and not attempt to do shit like me?

His attempt to do shit was just going to be a pointless suicide. What do you think his little speeder thing was going to do to that cannon? Why do you think everyone else pulled back?

The entire Resistance was probably going to be annihilated within minutes. Rose was a hopeful person who thought that staying alive for those few extra minutes was a better idea than blowing up inside a laser cannon. As it turns out, it was a pretty good idea, because Luke Skywalker appeared and save them all. If she hadn't stopped Finn he'd be dead now.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Feel really bad for Kelly Marie Tran. How come Benicio Del Toro got away squeaky clean here while his character is *actually* the worst character addition in Star Wars history? Hmm. Wonder why. Jk it's obvious a lot people hate Rose because of her appearance but are too pussy to ever admit it. So "muh themes! Muh writing" gets pulled out while the handsome characters go unscathed. There's plenty to talk about TLJ but the rose haters need to get a grip. it's a bad character surrounded by omega shit tier one's. who the fuck even cares any more

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Canto Bight would have been fine if this was a multi-episode TV series, but it did feel out of place in the movie.

Oct 29, 2017
Feel really bad for Kelly Marie Tran. How come Benicio Del Toro got away squeaky clean here while his character is *actually* the worst character addition in Star Wars history? Hmm. Wonder why. Jk it's obvious a lot people hate Rose because of her appearance but are too pussy to ever admit it. So "muh themes! Muh writing" gets pulled out while the handsome characters go unscathed. There's plenty to talk about TLJ but the rose haters need to get a grip. it's a bad character surrounded by omega shit tier one's. who the fuck even cares any more

Del Toro's character in TLJ is fucking horrible, agreed. Completely forgettable, contrived, and ultimately pointless. Just like the entire Canto Bight sideplot he was birthed for, imagine that.

Canto Bight would have been fine if this was a multi-episode TV series, but it did feel out of place in the movie.

It feels like an episode of Clone Wars snatched up off of the cutting room floor.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is Asian, it is amusing (read: insulting) to read some of these responses.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Del Toro's character in TLJ is fucking horrible, agreed. Completely forgettable, contrived, and ultimately pointless. Just like the entire Canto Bight sideplot he was birthed for, imagine that.
It just dawned on me... I've seen the movie several times but can't remember what his character's name was. That's pathetic.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It's a garbage portion of the film. Almost every other storyline, set piece, moment, etc in TLJ is better than the entirety of Canto Bight. What good is showing us a different angle of the world/galaxy if it drags the rest of the movie down with it?

I don't need plot beat after plot beat after plot beat, and I'm perfectly fine with a jaunt down a less serious/different road in Star Wars. Star Wars is full of that stuff. Doesn't mean it's always done well, or enjoyably.

Canto Bight is what truly robbed Rose, and us.
That is your opinion. And that's fine. But that's all it is.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got to be honest, I think everyone gets Rose saving Finn incorrectly, because I don't think the question is "Did Rose do the right thing?". I think it's more dramatic irony. Finn and Rose end up character wise where the other began. Finn starts the movie uncaring about the Resistance and is fixated on making sure Rey survives the current crisis while Rose has her sister's belief in staying and sacrificing in the Resistance cause, even zapping deserters to make sure they stay. At the end, Finn is now a full Resistance believer and is ready to sacrifice himself to save the Resistance while Rose is uncaring about the Resistance as a whole and is determined to save the one person she cares about (i.e. Finn).

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Not super interested in re-litigating TLJ or discussing her role in TROS but KMT never deserved the harassment she received. I hope she has a long and successful career hopefully far away from internet psychos.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I got to be honest, I think everyone gets Rose saving Finn incorrectly, because I don't think the question is "Did Rose do the right thing?". I think it's more dramatic irony. Finn and Rose end up character wise where the other began. Finn starts the movie uncaring about the Resistance and is fixated on making sure Rey survives the current crisis while Rose has her sister's belief in staying and sacrificing in the Resistance cause, even zapping deserters to make sure they stay. At the end, Finn is now a full Resistance believer and is ready to sacrifice himself to save the Resistance while Rose is uncaring about the Resistance as a whole and is determined to save the one person she cares about (i.e. Finn).

Doesn't that make her a hypocrite after judging him?

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Because it isn't all about plot. It was designed to show a different side of the world. The 1%. And it did a fine job of that.

People get so caught up on plot idiocy. So what if it didn't work out well. That's fine. It's star wars lol.

It's a garbage opinion that's nothing but hyperbole. Stop trying to convince people that they're wrong for enjoying it.
You called his opinion garbage for not liking Canto Bright like it's not a legitimate complaint. Hmm well that's something

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Movie will do AT BEST the same as the "reviled" TLJ so...

5489de0a8d5fb2ecb7d7706100b5176b.gif

Soooo only hundreds of millions in box office profit plus several hundred million more in merchandising. Not sure what your point was but

5489de0a8d5fb2ecb7d7706100b5176b.gif

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
You called his opinion garbage for not liking Canto Bright like it's not a legitimate complaint. Hmm well that's something
Lol! It's not more legit then any other opinion. Can you not understand that concept? Just because a segment of people yell loudly about it doesn't legitimise it over everything else at all. That's the point. No one is MORE right and I feel like that's a concept people don't quite understand because they wanna keep hammering the same points for four years.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that make her a hypocrite after judging him?

I mean, doesn't she judge him before Canto Blight, which is where both characters start reversing their philosophies? Like, sure that makes her a hypocrite but it was never about morals for Rose and Finn imo. It was about what made two people fight for a cause and how these reasons can change. In the scope of Finn's character arc spanning the ST, it just expands it as he grows the number of people he cares about from caring about himself (TFA) to caring about one person (TLJ) to caring about a cause (End of TLJ/ROS). Rose just serves as a foil to this development to show that it can happen in other ways too.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Lol! It's not more legit then any other opinion. Can you not understand that concept? Just because a segment of people yell loudly about it doesn't legitimise it over everything else at all. That's the point. No one is MORE right and I feel like that's a concept people don't quite understand because they wanna keep hammering the same points for four years.

you are the one that seems to struggle with that actually, considering you called his opinion "garbage". Its fucking hilarious tho, because canto bight is the one aspect of the movie that even TLJ fans tend to agree is generally weak.

Oct 3, 2019
Everything about TROS is a clusterfuck. I'm baffled that this movie turned out the way it did. Hopefully we eventually get a deep dive into how this mess made it off the cutting room floor.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility, prior infractions
you are the one that seems to struggle with that actually, considering you called his opinion "garbage". Its fucking hilarious tho, because canto bight is the one aspect of the movie that even TLJ fans tend to agree is generally weak.
it's not. because i don't care if people think my opinion is garbage and i don't care about being right unlike y'all lol. tend to agree is also weasely as fuck. stop trying claim authority on subjectivity and appealing to whatever authority you want. you're gonna be linking youtube vids next. it ain't happening. y'all keep doing it.. and it's hilarious. keep fighting that fight.

plenty of people don't mind it. do you still not get it?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I had assumed based off of absolutely nothing that Wookiepedia would be like the Transformer wiki, which has stuff like this:

Despite being robotic lifeforms with generally non-sexual methods of reproduction, the Transformer species has almost always been shown to include both male and female gender analogues, at least mentally if not physically.

Female Transformers were originally depicted as an anomaly, specifically called out as either a thought-to-be-extinct subgroup or simply never existing in the first place. (Thanks, 1980s! Always so sensitive!) But over the course of decades, while they are still comparatively rare, they have increased greatly in numbers, prominence and overall fairness of representation, and are considered an official part of the Transformers brand in pretty much every continuity. Nowadays, female Transformers are basically considered a normal part of the Cybertronian population.

There's still a long way to go, since they ARE still pretty dang rare compared to the "guys" and as Mairghread Scott pointed out, this can inadvertently make any given female Transformer and their stories seem like a comment on real women.[1] That's part of a way bigger argument for gender equality in entertainment and society at large that's a bit beyond this wiki's scope to fully explore.

Apparently I was wrong about that.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought Rose was fine but she was a one movie side character relegated to the background in a subsequent movie, which is a star wars tradition.

I mean fuck the movie was already too overstuffed with plot points and mcguffin chases for the 3 main characters, having another would just be overkill.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
You really don't think they expected their grand finale to do better than the "reviled" predecessor?

Good one

I'm sure they expect that and I'm sure their expectations will be met but that was never my point. I only said that they're going to care more about audience reception to the movie than to critics, because it's the audiences who are spending money on it.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
She had so little time it was really noticeable. Didn't expect a lot of time given I expected Abrams to stick to his three characters again...but man... didn't expect almost zero.

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love the "canto was pointless" takes. Because yeah when a quest ends in failure, that makes it pointless! Not like learning from failure was the message of the fuckin movie.

Oh shit, wait, so ESB was pointless in its entirety! They do nothing but fail that entire movie. They lose their base. Han and Leia get captured after running half the movie. Luke abandons his training and gets his ass beat. POINTLESS!

If JJ isn't in director jail for the rest his life after this shitshow, I am going to be livid.

Dudes a white man. Even if it was a total bomb he would still fail upward.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm sure they expect that and I'm sure their expectations will be met but that was never my point. I only said that they're going to care more about audience reception to the movie than to critics, because it's the audiences who are spending money on it.

Reception is the lowest Cinemascore of the franchise.

Box Office is not showing big changes from the previous film despite being the "climatic" Grand Finale.

There's a problem. Even if the movie is being successful by regular metrics. So was TLJ. This movie is far from a home run

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Last edited:

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I know they're maligned here now, and I don't wish to relitigate the entirety of their Star Wars pontificating, but I do think one of the more trenchant points Red Letter Media made at some point is that, at its root, Star Wars is a very small universe, in its original incarnation. There have been various expanded universe works, but in terms of actual mass canon, it seems unable to really accommodate expansions of its universe beyond that introduced in the original trilogy (and even then, the third had to reuse a daemon weapon from the first movie).

I'm not really a fan of the franchise, but to the extent I find some appeal to it (and I do, even if not much), it's how the original movies use the setting more as a texture for subliminally familiar storytelling tropes. Puts its basic plot and characters into a straight up fantasy setting, and it'd be a predictable chore to sit through. Put it into a science-fiction setting, however, and something about them comes alive again, if only for a viewing or two for me personally. Any prequel or sequel made decades later is inherently cashing in on the iconography of the originals, and it's basically the nature of capitalism that any kind of finer point of why some piece of art works, like reinvigorating classic fantasy tropes with the freedom science fiction allows in broadening the visual palette, is pushed aside for brandable, memeable, concrete and discrete components. So there is a tension between the need to use Star Wars-y surface aesthetics and the reality that storytelling too dissimilar from that in the original movies somehow makes the work alienatingly out of sync with what people have in their minds about what the franchise is.

This is one reason I would probably be a bit of a prequel apologist if you really pressed me, in that I admire Lucas's total willingness to push through that dissonance and discomfort and make the new trilogy be about how the big bad from the original trilogy was actually a byproduct of the failure of established institutions to handle crisis. He sold his soul, but there was still a little glimpse of the younger, ambitious artist he once was in there. Disney very clearly did not have any larger vision for what they wanted their movies to be, from a storytelling perspective, and the one guy they got who did overplayed his hand and pissed large swaths of the existing fans off and pushed Disney to go so far in the other direction on the next one that it turned out a focus-grouped nightmare.

Rose seems, unfortunately, to be a casualty of Rian Johnson making a clunky but sincere effort to subvert the logic of the original films, and then Disney overcorrecting. A shame for the actress, for sure, after all she had to deal with, but it does demonstrate aptly what a thankless task making a new Star Wars movie really is.

Dekevo

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory drive-by in a thread on concerns of representation
Rose was a horrible, unnecessary character, it's because of her we did not get proper development of our main heroes.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Cool actress that had to play a shitty charachter that many of the audience didn't found interesting....so she got less airtime in the sequel.

I know people would have preferred JJ to make some big ass political statement by having her being much more prominent....but considering what his goals and task was with finishing the whole saga and fulfilling dreams of the main actors having more scenes together this was always going to be a tough act.

honkycat

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The movie barely clipped along as it was. What was Rose's story arc we wanted to finish? What role would she have played?

The movie had too much to do. I felt bad for her, but thems the breaks.

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't mean anything.
Then let me explain. Her role was very purposeful in that movie, and TROS on the other hand fucks off and does its own shitty thing. She's very much a product of The Last Jedi and what it was trying to accomplish, so naturally she would be sidelined. She was never created to be a Hallmark character that would go on for an obnoxious amount of movies like C-3P0