• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I didn't love rose in TLJ. Tran's performance was fine I just didn't dig the character a ton in that movie but I was nonetheless disappointed in how little she was in RoS. Doubley so as I actually quite enjoyed what we saw of her. I wish she'd had Jannah's role in the story.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Wish they had elaborated on her role more, but I went expecting her to get this treatment, between the awful reaction to the actress, to the abysmal sale of her toys. She deserved better.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No feelings just facts. People on Era have explicitly said if Veronica Ngo had the Rose role they wouldn't have minded the character. TLJ was just too much for the male nerd power fantasy genre where the only characters allowed are people you want to be/ can masturbate to.

Not saying if you don't like Kelly you're a weird male nerd but I've lost count of the amount of people who said "Rose's sister would have been better for the role." when the actress had no meaningful dialogue to indicate that/ screen time with Finn to know if they had better chemistry.
0*vABnuMQF_u_hCqfv.
To be honest, they're both pretty. Rose the character isn't glamorous, but she's a mechanic and she's suppose to be a surrogate character.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Her character was awful and only served to rob agency of the black former co-protagonist, who "got sidelined" in TLJ so hard you could've cut him entirely and it would've made no difference to the plot.

Frankly I was glad she was gone and that Finn had a little room to breathe in RoS. I felt like in this whole trilogy the black audience got finessed, watching Disney say "nah" to the black Jedi lead AND the interracial relationship they kept teasing at. It was horrible to watch.

Rose had Anakin-tier cringe dialogue and was directly involved in Rian Johnson turning Finn into Jar Jar. So forgive me if I don't have any tears to shed, because by the way, she was in the movie, and the new love interest was at least designed to compliment, validate, and share experiences with Finn instead of constantly foil him.

What happened to KMT on social media, I'm upset about. What happened to this character? That's life. She was damaging every character and plot she touched and was poorly conceived from the beginning.

Everyone forgets Rose fucking saves Finn's life at the end of TLJ, basically without her he does a dumb sacrifice and disappears from the ST.

But sure bud, she "foiled" him.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Rose sucked in TLJ. So I blame Rian for setting her up for failure. Her entire arc in TLJ was just bad. But throughout RoS, I felt secondhand embarrassment for Rose. She goes from being the spotlight in TLJ, to being sidelined. She went from a possible love interest for Finn, to being cast aside entirely, and then being completely replaced in Finn's story by Jannah.

Rian wanted to subvert expectations, JJ wanted to make a shooty mcshooty space battle movie. Rose as she was in TLJ was incompatible with JJ's vision of Star Wars, so she got the boot. I also blame Rian for butchering Finn's arc who should've been a Jedi by the end of the third movie.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The movie was overstuffed and I didn't buy her chemistry with Finn at all, so I can see why she got sidelined. They should have dropped some of the other new additions in favor of her though, like the stand-in Lando daughter.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horrible character so I didn't mind it at all, then again they did introduce that new black girl love interest for Finn so I guess all that screen time could've been given to redeem Rose as a character.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my biggest disappointment with the movie was the lack of Rose. I really liked her in TLJ and I was looking forward to what kind of relationship her and Finn were going to have. Felt kind of weird when they introduced the random black lady stormtrooper as Finn's (implied future) love interest, like they couldn't bear to have an interracial couple happen.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone forgets Rose fucking saves Finn's life at the end of TLJ, basically without her he does a dumb sacrifice and disappears from the ST.

But sure bud, she "foiled" him.

She crashes her ship into his while they are both going full speed almost directly in front of the enemy front line. Luckily for them Finn is able to magically drag her the entire way it took him a couple minutes to fly to at top speed without the enemy doing anything about it. That whole segment of the movie is completely nonsensical. It's ridiculous they there weren't both dead or captured. The less you think about it the better.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Her character was awful and only served to rob agency of the black former co-protagonist, who "got sidelined" in TLJ so hard you could've cut him entirely and it would've made no difference to the plot.

Frankly I was glad she was gone and that Finn had a little room to breathe in RoS. I felt like in this whole trilogy the black audience got finessed, watching Disney say "nah" to the black Jedi lead AND the interracial relationship they kept teasing at. It was horrible to watch.

Rose had Anakin-tier cringe dialogue and was directly involved in Rian Johnson turning Finn into Jar Jar. So forgive me if I don't have any tears to shed, because by the way, she was in the movie, and the new love interest was at least designed to compliment, validate, and share experiences with Finn instead of constantly foil him.

What happened to KMT on social media, I'm upset about. What happened to this character? That's life. She was damaging every character and plot she touched and was poorly conceived from the beginning.
According to Wikipedia her character was complemented in reviews at the time, I understand she's not one of the main 4 characters but they could have give her something... something, because despite all the hate the character got, she did in fact have some fans. And honestly it takes you out of the world, when suddenly a secondary character is basically ignored. Of course so many decisions in ROS are addressing common things people complained about, that the world feel less genuine because you're constantly reminded of the intent of the choices of the writer.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JJ is a hack. He tried so hard to make Rey, Finn, and Poe a trio despite the fact they didn't even share 3 minutes of screen time together in the previous 2 films. The beginning of the movie where he was trying to set up the dynamic was one of the saddest things I have seen in a movie and sidelining Rose just so we could have more of Poe being an insufferable asshole to everyone sealed the deal for her.

God this movie was complete trash if you can dissect every single scene and find multiple things wrong with it.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
JJ is a hack. He tried so hard to make Rey, Finn, and Poe a trio despite the fact they didn't even share 3 minutes of screen time together in the previous 2 films. The beginning of the movie where he was trying to set up the dynamic was one of the saddest things I have seen in a movie and sidelining Rose just so we could have more of Poe being an insufferable asshole to everyone sealed the deal for her.

The Poe/Rey "banter" was so bad and felt unearned as hell.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. This pissed me off. Finn even gets a newly introduced companion, as if there isn't the perfect one – including a shared history – waiting at the base... researching star destroyers or what was it?

It was so silly and forced. The three of us (Rey, Poe and Finn) are off on an adventure as if we're best friends – while they've never been on screen together in the two previous movies –, Rose, you stay at home, watch the screen and 'do research'.

yep it was fucking ridiculous. Introducing all these crappy new and useless characters while Rose got sidelined. I wasn't a fan of TLJ (or TFA) or Rose's character but holy shit did Abrams and the writers fucking did her a massive disservice. Pathetic really.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She straight up kissed Finn at the end of the 8th movie and sure it was forced but it wasent touched on at all. Like nothing at all? She was concerned for him when he was willing to sacrifice himself at the end of the movie but thats the extent of their interaction on more than a working relationship

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I was grateful to Rian Johnson for so many things that he did but the greatest for me was casting Kelly Marie." - JJ Abrams

So grateful she barely has a minute of screentime. What a liar.

He spent the entirety of Into Darkness' marketing run lying his ass off, so I really shouldn't be as surprised as I am.

What a two-faced asshole. He could have easily given her some of Greg Gunberg's lines if he gave a shit.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I got the impression that JJ had no idea what to do with her since she wasn't part of the first film. Even with the BS about concentrating more on the "main" characters, they added a bunch of other characters to this one that probably didn't need to be there, either.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
She straight up kissed Finn at the end of the 8th movie and sure it was forced but it wasent touched on at all. Like nothing at all? She was concerned for him when he was willing to sacrifice himself at the end of the movie but thats the extent of their interaction on more than a working relationship

Finn didn't seem like he was particularly thrilled about the kiss in TLJ. I haven't seen the new movie, but at the end of TLJ it still seemed like he was more interested in Rey.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive commentary surrounding representation over multiple posts
Horrible character so I didn't mind it at all, then again they did introduce that new black girl love interest for Finn so I guess all that screen time could've been given to redeem Rose as a character.

To be honest the new girl possessed a badassness Rose didn't have.

She was an awful character and got Jar Jared in return. Why are people so upset?

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Why would it need to be touched on? She only knew Finn for like a day. It's pretty easy to infer it was just a heat of the moment thing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
the whole finn/rose/canto arc is honestly the worst star wars arc ("saga" movies) i've ever seen. i wish the actress all the success in the world but RotS treated the character appropriately. maybe they could've finagled some finn/rose romance in there to suggest they eventually settled down but seems like they didn't want to close the book on him and Rey, even though that's kind of a long shot as well (should they do an ep 10 down the line)

May 9, 2019
I see no problem. This sequel trilogy or whatever whole problem is the bad attempt at character development for the main heroes. If anything the last movie just needed to focus on them only (and it still failed to do interesting development).

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I love the stupid bullshit reason too.

"Sorry, can't fight.....got to study some battle plans that will never be used ever"

fucking hack ass JJ

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey look a Kelly/Rose thread full of assholes who can't help themselves but shit on her to justify her being treated like trash. What a surprise!

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Okay but did Charlie from Lost really need all that dialogue they could have tossed her way? I screamed at him having two pages in the Visual Dictionary and Rose having an excerpt.
I agree with this. They could have deleted the guy from lost and given all his screen time to Rose.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for Kelly Marie. She was given a terrible character in TLJ, and rather than redeem Rose in RoS, they essentially removed her instead. Kelly Marie was done dirty and deserved so much better.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
At the very least, make her an Oracle kind of character guiding Rey via radio and checking databases and maps to help them, maybe have her crack the code to the next mcguffin and tell the heroes where to go....

Anything...

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
He spent the entirety of Into Darkness' marketing run lying his ass off, so I really shouldn't be as surprised as I am.

What a two-faced asshole. He could have easily given her some of Greg Gunberg's lines if he gave a shit.
Him, Dominic Monaghan, and Jannah (I wouldn't be surprised if everything she did was supposed to be done by Rose tbh, she's basically the same character besides being a former Stormtrooper) all could've been easily replaced with Rose.

Every time Greg and Dominic were on screen I just kept thinking who the fuck are these characters? Were they even named in the movie? Them and the fucking title crawl made me feel like I'd missed an entire movie somewhere.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
User Warned: Ableist language
Even if you think she sucked in TLJ, including Dominic Monaghan to deliver some lines while entirely sidelining her with an almost painful excuse is retarded.

JJ didn't like her? Fine, would still appreciate you trying to improve her character though instead of adding more throwaway characters that add nothing.

The whole deal and how JJ "praises" her feels very wrong.

Her reaction here fits perfectly:

But sure, she probably demanded to have a small part on purpose LMAO...

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finn didn't seem like he was particularly thrilled about the kiss in TLJ. I haven't seen the new movie, but at the end of TLJ it still seemed like he was more interested in Rey.
Why would it need to be touched on? She only knew Finn for like a day. It's pretty easy to infer it was just a heat of the moment thing.
Well yes duh, but when someone just kisses you heat of the moment or not that brings alot of feelings into it. It should at the very least have made things a little more awkward between them

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
It's funny because a lot of people around here were also blaming JJ after Rian Johnson pretty much sidelined Finn too in TLJ.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
They're so blatantly pandering to the lowest common denominator with that move. But at least they got their positive audience Rotten Tomatoes score. Fuck those cowards.

Last edited:

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So I didn't love rose in TLJ. Tran's performance was fine I just didn't dig the character a ton in that movie but I was nonetheless disappointed in how little she was in RoS. Doubley so as I actually quite enjoyed what we saw of her. I wish she'd had Jannah's role in the story.

What was Jannah's role in the story, again?

Other than give them horses and listen to Finn?

(on the other hand, Rose being typecast as the Finn sidekick that rides alien horses in 2 movies would have been hilarious though lol)

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
They could have cut the meaningless, 20 minute "we need to hack C-3PO" subplot. Nothing happens, and 3PO's memory wipe walked back a few scenes later. Give them time for actual character development.

I figured there be a payoff with C3PO getting his prequel memories back, but nope. It's nothing but filler.
That's pretty much the whole movie to be fair

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
lol. Zorii and Jannah are bad ass characters but Rose is a shitty character.

(They all had the exact same role of getting Finn/Poe to 'realise' something and take the next step on the lead characters' journey).

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's silly to assume that this was somehow racist motivated, or that JJ did this to simply appease racist trolls. It's about as daft as claiming Rian Johnson was motivated by racism or appeasing racist trolls when he diminished the importance and prominence of Finn's character in TLJ (a black main character that JJ created and that had racists in uproar).

The reality is more likely that just as Rian Johnson didn't like the way many of the narrative threads and characters were going in TFA, and essentially retconned things with TLJ, JJ also didn't like the way many of the narrative threads and characters were going in TLJ, and similarly retconned that too, essentially taking things back to being closer to his initial vision with TFA. In other words, they just had different creative visions and ideas, with both the narrative and characters.

As an Asian myself, I find the immediate jump to try and turn this into some sort of race thing by some disingenuous. Hell, I'm pretty sure JJ features more prominent characters of colour in TRoS than there are in TLJ.
Yeah all this "fuck JJ for appeasing the racists" is absolute nonsense. Rose was poorly written (imo) in TLJ and JJ didn't feel the need to bring her back. People who harassed her in real life are fucked up and she did not deserve any of that. People are quick to point fingers when there could be a lot of factors other than JJ appeasing the reddit crowd.