• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the official statement about not replacing Kathleen Kennedy, I'd be a little concerned and suspicious in any job where the company's golden person (that is 20 years my junior) wants to get in my territory and start doing things.

I think people will speculate through whichever lens they see Kathleen Kennedy but it's interesting.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Uh. Cool? Can't say I'm excited for this. Feige makes fine movies, but can't imagine him making a good star wars movie.

Didn't we just have a convo that they were doing too much too quick?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
That's just a lame cop out statement showing you were called out and have no good response to back it up.

It wouldn't be a Marvel-related thread without "I have Superior taste than all" Disco making his obligatory "I disapprove and look down on this" post XD

Yeesh i dunno where i implied my taste was superior to yours in that post but by all means stay feeling attacked i guess

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Go ahead, take the "they don't have anything to say" bait. Do it, fall into the hole of pointing out that Star Wars is all big 3rd act setpieces as well.

"Big 3rd Act setpiece."

tumblr_npejlsBM9a1tu6tfso3_500.gif

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The people who think Feige Star Wars is just going to be MCU-like probably also think there will be sex scenes in D&D Star Wars.

I'm in for this.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
My apologies-I agree with you and misunderstood the sarcasm.

For someone to knock the MCU as "shallow" but then sing the praises of Star Wars is the height of hilarity.

No problem at all! Tone is nigh impossible to read through text. I agree, both are shallow, something being shallow does not mean it's bad though. Sometimes it's cathartic to just "shut off" your brain and enjoy the ride.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
He might not direct, but he was responsible for orchestrating the MCU. He made Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Captain Marvel happen, even with a super racist/sexist boss. He brought in names like James Gunn, Ryan Coogler, Taika Waititi etc.

He's been a producer of good and bad movies, but he definitely didn't make them.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm fine with this. I have issues with the MCU feeling samey but Feige has done a wonderful job building up that universe. He would need to give the directors more freedom though than he does in the MCU.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
A buddy and I were just talking about how Keanu Reeves would be great in either a star wars or marvel movie and then This was announced! Get Keanu in on this too.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
"Bury me in the ocean with my ancestors" says more than any Star Wars movie ever did.

Yes, a throw-away line by the villain after the movie chickened out from actually exploring the issue.

You know, as opposed to:

tenor.gif

6Z4sAsy.gif

"...that is why you fail."
RemorsefulGrayBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

Victory Through Non-Violence and Love
TnA2hnH.gif

Hope
tumblr_p3ag0ssx531x0dc3yo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Call me when Feige wants to do more than smash toys together.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it's more of a side thing, but who else would you want architecting this franchise? He's basically the most competent producer in Hollywood right now, and has direct experience shepherding the kind of multi-faceted franchise they want Star Wars to be.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, a throw-away line by the villain after the movie chickened out from actually exploring the issue.

You know, as opposed to:

tenor.gif

6Z4sAsy.gif

TnA2hnH.gif

Hope

giphy.gif

Bro, that "throwaway line" summed up the message of the entire movie lol

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Are we acting like Feige won't approach Star Wars differently than he approaches the MCU? That is really odd since they are quite different.

He isn't directing... so... Why are people just assuming the worst? Is it because he oversaw the most successful movie franchise in history starting with nothing... In an office... With a bunch of scraps?

Last edited:

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Ahh shit, now SW is Marvel, it means shitty teenage movies every year. Thank You Disney it's been really wonderful with TFA and TLJ and now EP9, I think i'm done with your SW movies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You know, as opposed to:

tenor.gif

6Z4sAsy.gif

TnA2hnH.gif

Hope

giphy.gif

You're not wrong.

Nonetheless I'm taking this one with an open mind. I certainly have more faith in Feige than the Supreme Hacks Benioff and Weiss.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Bro, that "throwaway line" summed up the message of the entire movie lol

It didn't. It was an exclamation of the history of Black America and the rage, the pain suffered, and the justice never received. It did not sum up the whole film because the film isn't actually interested in exploring this in any meaningful way. Erik's position is taken to such an extreme point that you cannot support him or any beliefs, the film at this point negates his viewpoint. Oh hey, remember how Erik was bringing up the historial oppresion of Blacks? Well, forget all that because he wants to take over the entire world through global genocide, you know like a Cobra Commander or some shitty Bond villain. In this way, the film can revert to the tried and true Marvel Third Act of a big explosion army fight where you don't have to think about anything. One side is clearly good, one side is clearly bad and there is ZERO nuance. There is no issue to be discussed or debated.

The ending has T'Challa open up Wakanda to the world. But, this does not solve or in anway delve into the issue of the oppression of Africans all over the world particularly in America. How does Wakanda opening relations help Blacks in America deal with police brutality? How does it stop drugs flooding into black neighborhoods? How does it deal with income inequality? Does every nigga in America get birthright citizenship to Wakanda? Otherwise, his gesture does not get into the crux of the issue.

So yes, it's a throwaway line. It's something we black Americans can appreciate it and resonate with, but it's rendered meaningless within the actual film as the film is too chicken to explore it.

You're not wrong.

Nonetheless I'm taking this one with an open mind. I certainly have more faith in Feige than the Supreme Hacks Benioff and Weiss.

I can agree with that.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

You know, as opposed to:

tenor.gif

6Z4sAsy.gif

TnA2hnH.gif

Hope

giphy.gif

Boss, you are fighting the good fight here, but I don't think there is much point to it tbh. Like these are all good, but I'm pretty sure you can find themes in the MCU movies that people like.

I do feel like Star Wars is being drastically undervalued here though, for Sheev's fascistic rise alone. People have a bad habit of dissing pretty much anything that isn't the MCU or came before it in some weird defense of the integrity of these incredibly successful films.

Plus people are gonna look at the prequels as "terrible" movies and not see what those movies were trying to do.