• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This ride looks like a winner, even the 'queue' part of it looks like a blast. Anyone planning on going? Opens today in Disney World and January 17th in Disneyland

Resistance base, Batuu, Outer Rim (aka Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, Hollywood Studios, Orlando, Florida) (CNN) — Whatever your sympathies to the rebellion or your level of Star Wars acumen, you're rebel scum now.
That's your fate once you enter the most ambitious interactive attraction in Disney theme park history -- Rise of the Resistance -- which opens in Walt Disney World Resort's Hollywood Studios today.
For Star Wars fans these days, as Yoda might say, runneth over our cup does.
Earlier this year, both Disney parks in the United States opened a twin pair of ambitiously immersive lands (Galaxy's Edge, aka the planet of Batuu). In November, Disney launched the first live action TV series ("The Mandalorian"). In late December, the final cinematic chapter in the Skywalker saga -- "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" -- will be released.
And this week, a new ride at Galaxy's Edge takes you so deep into the Star Wars universe that you're in the plot.

Nice video of the pre ride (queue) story and the ride itself.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a lot of the ride through vids went up yesterday. Can't wait for it to open out here in DLR

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
My GF flew over to Orlando to go to the opening, I couldn't cause of work. Hype to go back there sometime next year to experience it, looks like probably the best ride at Disney.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The most amazing piece of it is that the Queue up, pre-ride area looks and feels ridiclously awesome lol Like even the QUeue up area is a part of the 'show'

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
I live in Orlando and a local Facebook group posted a picture of the line at 4:00 a.m. this morning. It was over 150 people. At 4:00 a.m.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The queue may be amazing, but is it amazing for 5 hours straight while waiting in line?

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Onscreen, the world building of the "Resistance" was so weak. How and why are we back to ANH start? It would seem like after Starkiller base destroyed the new republic, that is when it rise.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be there on Christmas and for the next couple days. Trying to not watch a ride through till then haha (I'm sure I'll cave like later today).

really excited. I was in galaxies edge in Orlando in September and am stoked to experience phase 1 finally done/open and use the sky liner.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well it seems like everyone assumes its going to be 5 hour lines...and what ends up happening is no one actually shows up. The good thing is this is opening in the off season (Well Disneyland it is), so the crowds should be lower

Perhaps, but then this happens:

I live in Orlando and a local Facebook group posted a picture of the line at 4:00 a.m. this morning. It was over 150 people. At 4:00 a.m.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
For the opening today, the only way to get on the ride was to join the virtual queue they have in the app, which is now closed. You can still visit Galaxy's Edge and wait for the Falcon ride, but if you didn't get into a boarding group earlier today, then you can no longer ride Rise today.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
That's nuts, it's probably the most immersive attraction in the whole park currently (though the star wars hotel they have planned will probably smash that record)

I'm trying to go to WDW in February, hopefully the lines aren't that bad (I know the crowds are history low in Jan-March)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to not watch ride throughs between now and my next trip will be difficult.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I won't be going to a Disney park until a year from now (Planning on going to Disneyworld at the end of 2020), so this wait is REALLY killing me inside now.

Dec 12, 2017
It's always hilarious seeing people in regular ass clothes be filmed against the backdrop of themed rides.

"I'm on the deck of a Star Destroyer...in a shirt, jeans and Birkenstock's."

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Virtual queue is money because you can go check in and leave and come back.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Even better than Avatar Flight of Passage? I'm skeptical of the early hype, but I'm looking forward to it when I'm there in a couple weeks.

And by Avatar, I really mean the true best theme park ride: WDW's Tower of Terror

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Note: this is the time of year to come to Florida if you're coming.

Do not come between May - September. It is unbearably hot for amusement park line waits and runs into hurricane season.

Nov - April is your best bet to have a good time.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Dammit I'm taking the kids to Disneyland for the first time just after Christmas so we'll miss this.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ride apparently doesnt have tracks and runs on computers driving cars and you go on elevators and lifts and shit. Sounds high tech,

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Going in Jany art.
Even better than Avatar Flight of Passage? I'm skeptical of the early hype, but I'm looking forward to it when I'm there in a couple weeks.

And by Avatar, I really mean the true best theme park ride: WDW's Tower of Terror

Anyone who actually think FoP is the best ride (including best ride in DAK) is a cop.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the video of the ride and it looks super impressive, I'm hoping to go to Orlando to visit Disney World and Universal sometime after the Nintendo area at Universal is built so I'm looking forward to riding this in person.

Im surprised at how many people been allowed to record huge portions of the ride
You can find tons of ride videos of pretty much every ride on Youtube, the parks don't care.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Flight of Passage still sees 2 hour waits after all this time, it's nuts.

I'm definitely going on RotR in the next couple weeks. I even blocked out some days right before the holiday rush to stay on site, though I may have fucked up and picked some days without Hollywood Studios Extra Magic Hours. I'm going to have to just try my luck at standard rope drop on a Monday or Tuesday.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Staying away from watching the video until I get to go on it at Disneyland. Intend to be there on day 1.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
The ride opens on January 17th at Disneyland and there are no blockout dates on my annual pass, so I'm going. I'll try to get there extra early before the queue gets ridiculous.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Flight of Passage still sees 2 hour waits after all this time, it's nuts.

I'm definitely going on RotR in the next couple weeks. I even blocked out some days right before the holiday rush to stay on site, though I may have fucked up and picked some days without Hollywood Studios Extra Magic Hours. I'm going to have to just try my luck at standard rope drop on a Monday or Tuesday.
Soarin' over Pandora is a fun ride, but you can do Soarin' over America at Epcot with much less wait.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I might have the opportunity to go in April and I will stay all day in Galaxy's Edge if I have to.

It'll be even better because now Toy Story Land is there and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad will be done in March so Hollywood Studios is practically worth it as an all day park now.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I need to go to Disney for this and Galaxys Edge at some point. It's now become a must do.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I might have the opportunity to go in April and I will stay all day in Galaxy's Edge if I have to.

It'll be even better because now Toy Story Land is there and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad will be done in March so Hollywood Studios is practically worth it as an all day park now.

Toy Story Land in WDW is awful in the warm months. It's so out in the open that there's no hiding from the sun - there's virtually no shade anywhere and it just roasts everyone alive. In cool months, it's pretty nice though.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

This kills me. We went a lot in the 00's because we hadn't had kids yet, I've got pictures of EE in various stages of construction and we managed to get to ride while it was in A mode. My kids only know Disco Yeti/B-Mode.

Edit: Also EE is good but Dinosaur is the one to beat.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The queue may be amazing, but is it amazing for 5 hours straight while waiting in line?
Well, the queue IS simulating being in prison.

Watched the video of the ride and it looks super impressive, I'm hoping to go to Orlando to visit Disney World and Universal sometime after the Nintendo area at Universal is built so I'm looking forward to riding this in person.

You can find tons of ride videos of pretty much every ride on Youtube, the parks don't care.
Disney did care when they launched Smuggler's Run. They wouldn't let the media people record their own footage and instead recorded footage for them and didn't show the whole ride. I guess that made sense for that ride, though, since the simulation is kinda underwhelming and they wanted to make a better first impression by carefully filming on-ride videos to show the people interacting with the ride.

Edit: Disney told the media they weren't supposed to film this whole ride, either.

As for this ride, it looks great, but I do think the final Kylo Ren animatronic is really underwhelming. The way he waves his arms around makes him super un-intimdating and he doesn't even have his lightsaber out. Ride deserves a better climax.

Last edited:

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I just like to point out that it's the exact same ride tech, but FoP definitely has some next level cringe in the ride prep room.

But it isn't the same tech. The ride system itself is entirely unique to Soarin's and the "banshees" play a significant role in the experience. It would be akin to saying Soarin' is the same tech as Star Tours

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't this supposed to be a half hour?