• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only hope (however unlikely) is they expand the order past 13 episodes. This has to be the final season due to the Siege of Mandalore, but they had a half dozen unfinished arcs they could finish up from when they worked on the show before (which is what they are doing for the two arcs this season prior to SoM). Even if they could throw in one more (4 episodes), it would be great. I don't see it happening since they already announced 13, but it is also missing Disney+ launch, so who knows.
Making Star Wars has said Filoni is working on a new animated show more along the lines of TCW in tone so I doubt there is an 8th TCW season.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want The Clone Wars Vong Arcs !!!.
Definitely not happening since it was never beyond the planning and concept stage.
I'd really appreciate someone other than Dave Filoni working on everything animated for Star Wars. His style of story telling has never clicked with me. These cartoons feel more like backfill for already concluded stories instead of anything that attempts to flaunt its own identity.

The pitiful amount of aerial combat and racing felt like a slap to the face for a show that was revealed with that as its premise.

Give the people making the Alphabet Squadron and TIE Fighter books and comics a crack at these cartoons, instead.
I don't know what you're talking about, Dave Filoni told plenty of original stories in TCW that added to the universe and weren't "backfill", many utilizing completely original characters like Ahsoka or Rex, or deepening existing characters who were barely more than set dressing like Plo Koon. Plus, even if you want to count Anakin's development in the series as backfill, it absolutely completely legitimized his character in a way the movies never did.

He was obviously hamstrung with Rebels in several significant ways, and he had almost nothing to do with Resistance past the idea for it.

At the end of the day, he was Lucas' protege, and the only one still at Lucasfilm who is allowed to have high creative involvement that seems interested in trying to take stories in this franchise in interesting directions.
Making Star Wars has said Filoni is working on a new animated show more along the lines of TCW in tone so I doubt there is an 8th TCW season.
I know. I'm not talking about an 8th season. I am talking about more episodes in the 7th. Ie, 4 - 8 more episodes (1 to 2 more arcs) on top of the 13 announced ones. It's unlikely, but perhaps possible. When they discontinued the series before, there was 9 different arcs partially completed (and more in planning). We were shown many of these half-finished arcs in the intervening years after it was cancelled and before it was announced as coming back. We know for a fact that 2 of the 3 arcs in the new season are two of those unfinished arcs (Bad Batch and Ahsoka in 1313), one of which they actually completely released in the state they got it to (Bad Batch) -- they also released another arc in the same state (Crystal Crisis on Utapau), but that one does not appear to be slated for remake.

The other unfinished arcs we have seen parts of include:
  • Son of Dathomir (Which I would do anything to see animated -- it was released as a comic, but is incredibly integral to Darth Maul's story and would be a shame to have it trapped in that medium forever)
  • Dark Disciple (Actually two arcs/8 episodes about Asaaj Ventress -- it was adapted into a novel)
  • Cad Bane and Boba Fett Bounty Hunter Arc
They also talked about several arcs they never got around to even starting, but were planned for the final two seasons (the plan was always 8):
  • Kashyyk Arc
  • Rex and R2 "Top Gun" Arc
  • Yuuzhan Vong Arc
  • Sith Temple under Coruscant Arc (it is suspected that parts of the ideas for this were repurposed for Rebels episodes)
  • Second Bad Batch Arc
  • Return to Mon Cala Arc
  • Siege of Mandalore Arc (confirmed to always be the finale, and confirmed happening for the new season)

If you count it all up, if each of these arcs were 4 episodes, that is 48 more episodes that were planned to the end.

Season 6 was cut short at 13 instead of the normal 20ish. So this is pretty much everything else that was planned for the series.

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what you're talking about, Dave Filoni told plenty of original stories in TCW that added to the universe and weren't "backfill", many utilizing completely original characters like Ahsoka or Rex, or deepening existing characters who were barely more than set dressing like Plo Koon. Plus, even if you want to count Anakin's development in the series as backfill, it absolutely completely legitimized his character in a way the movies never did.

He was obviously hamstrung with Rebels in several significant ways, and he had almost nothing to do with Resistance past the idea for it.

At the end of the day, he was Lucas' protege, and the only one still at Lucasfilm who is allowed to have high creative involvement that seems interested in trying to take stories in this franchise in interesting directions.
The stories just are not good, though. The entire depiction of Madalore was atrocious. Everything involving the bounty hunter crew was insufferable.

I didn't realize he was not involved with Resistance.

Nothing in the cartoons comes remotely close to taking the series in an interesting direction compared to what TLJ did, but only looking spin off material, the shows are consistently miles behind the comics.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
The stories just are not good, though. The entire depiction of Madalore was atrocious. Everything involving the bounty hunter crew was insufferable.

Nothing in the cartoons comes remotely close to taking the series in an interesting direction compared to what TLJ did, but only looking spin off material, the shows are consistently miles behind the comics.

Do you mind explaining yourself a bit here? I've already tried to incite some sort of discussion regarding these points each time but you always say, "baby bounty hunters" and then never reply again.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only folks I've ever seen complain about TCW's depiction of Mandalore were Karen Traviss fans

I think everything involving Satine, Pre Vizla and Death Watch was very well done

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really appreciate someone other than Dave Filoni working on everything animated for Star Wars. His style of story telling has never clicked with me. These cartoons feel more like backfill for already concluded stories instead of anything that attempts to flaunt its own identity.

The pitiful amount of aerial combat and racing felt like a slap to the face for a show that was revealed with that as its premise.

Give the people making the Alphabet Squadron and TIE Fighter books and comics a crack at these cartoons, instead.

Filoni isn't involved with Resistance beyond coming up with the concept. If he was doing it, it would probably be way more focused on the racing since he had always wanted to make a show about pilots.

I can't really imagine Alexander Freed making a show targeted at kids, but I would certainly like more books from him.

Edit: As for Mandalore, if you dislike the pacifist angle, that's all George. Once Filoni got total control in Rebels he went all in on factions and warfare lol

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Filoni does a lot of good but he has some annoying flaws. I love Ashoka too but the way the character was handled in Rebels annoyed me to death. If you didn't watch Clone Wars, you are basically fucked because Rebels does nothing to fill you in on who Ashoka is or most importantly why you should care about her. They introduce her at the end of season 1 as a major supporting character and then proceed to waste her throughout season 2 until the end where she finally gets to do something exciting. Then she leaves the show...only to pop up near the end and then bounce AGAIN. The show never really did anything with her. They wanted her to duel Vader and that's it. She's kind of a noncharacter.

And if you did watch Clone Wars, you would be disappointed that they wasted her. She has one moment, which is one of the best moments in SW history, but then preceded to sit on the bench for the rest of the series. Seriously, what purpose did she serve? In the grand scheme of things she was irrelevant but because Filoni loves the character she was shoehorned in.

When Filoni loves an idea, he loves to push it really hard to a detriment to the overall show at times. I'm glad Favreau is apparently helping him with his new show at least because we need more minds clashing in the creative process.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Have to agree with this post here:

Do you mind explaining yourself a bit here? I've already tried to incite some sort of discussion regarding these points each time but you always say, "baby bounty hunters" and then never reply again.

Also, TLJ is not at all an "interesting direction". I mean, sure, it claims to be (and I actually did enjoy the movie), but for everyone who complains how different it is... it really isn't. That moment where Rey and Kylo fight together the movie leads you to believe it will actually go in an interesting direction... but then instead it swerves back into the completely predictable normal one. That isn't interesting.

Anyways, I completely disagree with you on the Mandalore arc -- it took something stupid (bringing back Darth Maul) and made him into a fully realized character that was actually interesting. Additionally, it completely deepened Obi-Wan as a character in a way the movies never attempted to via his romance with Satine. These are positive effects on the franchise while simultaneously interesting directions that were taken. And that is just that one on-going arc.

Every time the show chose to focus on the clones it was similarly interesting. It executed Anakin's slow descent to the dark side in a much more believable way. And Ahsoka was a truly interesting and complex character, not to mention now a fan favorite.

Not all of TCW is gold, I think everyone who likes the series will agree with that, nothing plagued with "Jar Jar episodes" really can be. But there's so much good in this series that I fear will never be explored in a similar depth in the film series. TCW made the entire Star Wars franchise much much better.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie or animated series?As a writer? Director of episodes? And what capacity does he have now? What I'm getting at here is I'd like to see himbas a showrunner in one of these animated series.

He voiced Pre Viszla, which got him interested in Mandalore, hence why he became attached to The Mandalorian as the showrunner.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen it but as a general take I think its the wrong strategy for Lucas to tackle the thematically serious inbetween eras (clone wars, rebels and this) in the form of cartoons for little kids, it really waters down the experience. Im not advocating for grimdark stuff but it would be nice to see the artform be used for more than the Saturday morning cartoon format

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I see Travis Fans are still getting angry their Mary sues (because that's what pre Clone Wars Mando's were like) were taken down a notch.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen it but as a general take I think its the wrong strategy for Lucas to tackle the thematically serious inbetween eras (clone wars, rebels and this) in the form of cartoons for little kids, it really waters down the experience. Im not advocating for grimdark stuff but it would be nice to see the artform be used for more than the Saturday morning cartoon format

TCW isn't really for "little kids", although Resistance certainly is. Pablo Hidalgo said that TCW was losing children viewers but growing with adult viewers towards the end of it, and that's no surprise because it got so dark.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Directed at you, and others in this thread with similar thoughts:
the only folks I've ever seen complain about TCW's depiction of Mandalore were Karen Traviss fans

I think everything involving Satine, Pre Vizla and Death Watch was very well done

Man, this is still so so good. How anyone can watch this clip and dismiss this show as "just for kids" (or even explicitly for kids) honestly boggles my mind. This moment is just as good as any given one you want to pick out of the movies -- hell I'd argue it's better than a lot of them. The character depth, writing, and shot composition are all great, not just "for a cartoon", but in general. It's an even more poignant moment with the knowledge of the entire story that came before, but even in isolation you can tell it's above and beyond a "saturday morning cartoon."

So Favreau has come to save Star Wars too? Cant ignore his success from the MCU..
You know Favreau and Filoni are working together on both The Mandalorian AND the next animated show, right?

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
LF upcoming slate:

- The Mandalorian
- Cassian Andor show
- Live action series 3
- TCW series 7
- New animated show (filoni/favreau)
- IX
- Rian Johnson Trilogy
- D&D series of films
- Star Wars Resistance season 2

+ as a bonus SWJ: Fallen Order

Does that look like a dying franchise?

And 3/4 films were critically acclaimed and made over 1 bil.

but tell me more how TLJ destroyed your childhood

Last edited:

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not happening since it was never beyond the planning and concept stage.

I know. I'm not talking about an 8th season. I am talking about more episodes in the 7th. Ie, 4 - 8 more episodes (1 to 2 more arcs) on top of the 13 announced ones. It's unlikely, but perhaps possible. When they discontinued the series before, there was 9 different arcs partially completed (and more in planning). We were shown many of these half-finished arcs in the intervening years after it was cancelled and before it was announced as coming back. We know for a fact that 2 of the 3 arcs in the new season are two of those unfinished arcs (Bad Batch and Ahsoka in 1313), one of which they actually completely released in the state they got it to (Bad Batch) -- they also released another arc in the same state (Crystal Crisis on Utapau), but that one does not appear to be slated for remake.

The other unfinished arcs we have seen parts of include:
  • Son of Dathomir (Which I would do anything to see animated -- it was released as a comic, but is incredibly integral to Darth Maul's story and would be a shame to have it trapped in that medium forever)
  • Dark Disciple (Actually two arcs/8 episodes about Asaaj Ventress -- it was adapted into a novel)
  • Cad Bane and Boba Fett Bounty Hunter Arc
They also talked about several arcs they never got around to even starting, but were planned for the final two seasons (the plan was always 8):
  • Kashyyk Arc
  • Rex and R2 "Top Gun" Arc
  • Yuuzhan Vong Arc
  • Sith Temple under Coruscant Arc (it is suspected that parts of the ideas for this were repurposed for Rebels episodes)
  • Second Bad Batch Arc
  • Return to Mon Cala Arc
  • Siege of Mandalore Arc (confirmed to always be the finale, and confirmed happening for the new season)

If you count it all up, if each of these arcs were 4 episodes, that is 48 more episodes that were planned to the end.

Season 6 was cut short at 13 instead of the normal 20ish. So this is pretty much everything else that was planned for the series.

Vong can stay in the trash heap with everything else.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I think the major thing (and part of why people liked Clone Wars more) is that it wasn't particularly targeting children, or at least not super young children.

The final televised season literally contained an entire arc that was conceived as a spin-off for pre-school kids, and episodes of that tone and style were present throughout the show's entire run. The pandering to small kids didn't end with "Stinky the Hutt."

And no number of videos of out of context violence really changes that fact. TCW was a tonally confused mess that is only ever really talked about because "Well it's dark, it's not for kids!" But the actual content of those stories, even the darker ones that people remember, are pitifully threadbare, and are often really bad, to the point of further damaging the source material. (Hey, did nobody on Naboo at least think to go poke the corpse of the suspected Sith Lord with a stick, just to make sure it stopped twitching? Because that's some "Bobby Ewing in Dallas" levels of trash storytelling.)

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The final televised season literally contained an entire arc that was conceived as a spin-off for pre-school kids, and episodes of that tone and style were present throughout the show's entire run. The pandering to small kids didn't end with "Stinky the Hutt."

And no number of videos of out of context violence really changes that fact. TCW was a tonally confused mess that is only ever really talked about because "Well it's dark, it's not for kids!" But the actual content of those stories, even the darker ones that people remember, are pitifully threadbare, and are often really bad, to the point of further damaging the source material. (Hey, did nobody on Naboo at least think to go poke the corpse of the suspected Sith Lord with a stick, just to make sure it stopped twitching? Because that's some "Bobby Ewing in Dallas" levels of trash storytelling.)
I don't know if you know but GL had some fingers in alot of the original run CW episodes.

Like his funding was the only reason it looked so good; meaning he got to make calls on alot of shit.

Like Mortis.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't know if you know but GL had some fingers in alot of the original run CW episodes.

Like his funding was the only reason it looked so good; meaning he got to make calls on alot of shit.

Like Mortis.

It's fascinating because, whenever the TCW's many weaknesses are pointed out, suddenly the Filoni worship gets tamped down and we are all underestimating just how many fingers GL had in the pie. It wasn't Filoni's gig, he made concessions to secure the budget etc.

Yet Rebels also had a lot of the same problems, particularly at its start. The only reason the tonal dissonance doesn't reach the same extremes is because the reigns were on tighter, so wasn't allowed to go as dark or visceral in its violence.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fascinating because, whenever the TCW's many weaknesses are pointed out, suddenly the Filoni worship gets tamped down and we are all underestimating just how many fingers GL had in the pie. It wasn't Filoni's gig, he made concessions to secure the budget etc.

Yet Rebels also had a lot of the same problems, particularly at its start. The only reason the tonal dissonance doesn't reach the same extremes is because the reigns were on tighter, so wasn't allowed to go as dark or visceral in its violence.
I mean, for me Rebels was tighter on themes then CW. I don't disagree that Filoni makes mistakes, but a lot of the "stupid" stuff was acutally GL.

Like focusing on fucking Jar Jar again. Or Mortis. Or those stupid droid episodes.

Or Mortis.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Favreau has come to save Star Wars too? Cant ignore his success from the MCU..
Star Wars doesn't need saving. Only ones who think that are those who believes the nonsense internet conspiracy theories that people didn't actually like TFA and TLJ despite you know the great reviews, great box office, great home video sales, and great audience tracking reviews.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars doesn't need saving. Only ones who think that are those who believes the nonsense internet conspiracy theories that people didn't actually like TFA and TLJ despite you know the great reviews, great box office, great home video sales, and great audience tracking reviews.
Well you see Solo did bad so therefor Star Wars is doomed.

And Rey is a Mary Sue. Also I like Starkiller. Alot.

Oct 29, 2017
One thing this show did right was introducing a decently sized cast of recurring characters. Having all the stories happen in one place so you are not throwing away disposable supporting characters every week, instead keeping them all as familiar faces, and seems like they will take advantage of that.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we getting anything further on the Clone Wars/Rebels front?

Any other serious tv shows besides The Mandolorian?

One more season of TCW. It's likely that at some point they'll do something about Ahsoka and Sabine searching for Ezra.

There's also a live action Cassian Andor show in the works and an untitled third show.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I forgot about this show and I was a big fan of TCW and Rebels.

I do like how they are using Iden Versio from BF 2 though. It's nice to see a character not thrown away after a game.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
TCW isn't really for "little kids", although Resistance certainly is. Pablo Hidalgo said that TCW was losing children viewers but growing with adult viewers towards the end of it, and that's no surprise because it got so dark.
I wont disagree about the shift later but if anything it makes the show even more thematically inconsistent with its presentation, design and animations ... plus all the other issues (like characters forgetting theyre Jedi every five minutes, but thats OT)

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
All these mentions of Karen Traviss, good grief, so happy her Mandalorian wankery got shuttered out of canon.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Im not one of those guys. But i have wondered why is Lucasfilm fascinated with the era around New Hope and ROTJ? I was hoping for more stuff not related to what we've known.
LF upcoming slate:

- The Mandalorian
- Cassian Andor show
- Live action series 3
- TCW series 7
- New animated show (filoni/favreau)
- IX
- Rian Johnson Trilogy
- D&D series of films
- Star Wars Resistance season 2

+ as a bonus SWJ: Fallen Order

Does that look like a dying franchise?

And 3/4 films were critically acclaimed and made over 1 bil.

but tell me more how TLJ destroyed your childhood
While I get theres stuff on the horizon, which is good. My one issue with it was never how it made money, but the stories they were telling after TFA came out. Most of us want the franchise to push forward in a new big and bold way. Favreau has proven with that regard.
Yes he's come to 'save' a franchise that's made over 3 billion at the box office on 3 movies alone.
Im not really so much as referring to sales regarding Starwars. Im more on the story saving gesture. Because I have felt for a long time now that the franchise has been stuck stagnant when it comes to story direction. I just like the way Favreau directs and tell stories.

Last edited:

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The show definitely did have arcs that targeted younger among the arcs that targeted older. (But come on, pre-school kids? Even you know that's hyperbole). There's a reason those episode recommendation lists exist. That doesn't make TCW a bad show though, it makes it a flawed show, which is perfectly fine. The fact that the format of the show allowed for wildly different stories from arc to arc did give us a good handful of stinkers, but it also allowed them to do a wide variety of things that the movies are never going to attempt in a million years -- and most of those weren't stinkers at all.

The reason this happens is because while Filoni was very much the showrunner, whenever Lucas had an idea he wanted in the show, he still got to put it in. And pretty much everyone is aware of that. Not to say that Filoni doesn't have some weird tendencies as well (as seen in Rebels with stuff like the wolves), but he wasn't the primary cause of those more kid-targeting ideas.

Also, nothing in TCW is actually "dark". It's just more adult, and thus actually all-ages appealing. Nothing comes even close to approaching R-rated stuff. It's basically the same tone as the movies, the same tone the franchise in general should honestly have.

Rebels was explicitly for kids, and it was designed around that (barring the random "fanservice" for TCW Fans with the Ahsoka/Vader stuff -- which I think most would agree ended up being the best part of the show precisely because it wasn't the normal part and tone of the show). And Resistance panders to even younger kids even harder. That direction is the big mistake both of these shows made. It's not about being "Dark" or "Visceral. It's just about being able to tell meaningful stories with adult themes, especially set in a franchise about being at war.