• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
It irks the crap out of me that the films ignore all the good stuff from the shows. Ahsoka is one of the best characters ever. She should have been a main character of Rogue One. Her backstory with Anakin (and absence from II and III) is easily explained in a quick flashback. Hopefully in whatever new stuff Disney has on TV will carry on from Rebels/Clone Wars.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2 episodes of nothing.

SPOILERS!

You could tell Kanan was going to die the second he appeared on screen and the double death when he cut his hair and the triple death when Hera finally said "I love you".

The only thing that could out trope Kanan's death would be if he lived (no body no death!)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
2 episodes of nothing.

SPOILERS!

You could tell Kanan was going to die the second he appeared on screen and the double death when he cut his hair and the triple death when Hera finally said "I love you".

The only thing that could out trope Kanan's death would be if he lived (no body no death!)

Agreed. And, Hera even managed to get over Kana's death in the span of a single episode. Rebels truly is just a massive step down from CW.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
When a Saturday Morning Cartoon does adult emotions and character arcs better than the Last Jedi...

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
That was a great and surprisingly emotional pair of episodes. Kanan's death and the subsequent fallout were handled beautifully. He was such a great character. The set-up for the final episodes is exceedingly promising.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Season 2 and 3 of Rebels is legitimately some of the best Star Wars entertainment I've ever watched, and that says a lot given how good most of Clone Wars was.

I feel like Season 4 hasn't been as exciting as the last two, but it's still good. Still all this stuff with the force wolves is weird as hell, it feels so unlike Star Wars. All these wolves constantly talking to the heroes, feels like I'm watching some anime or something

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 and 3 of Rebels is legitimately some of the best Star Wars entertainment I've ever watched, and that says a lot given how good most of Clone Wars was.

I feel like Season 4 hasn't been as exciting as the last two, but it's still good. Still all this stuff with the force wolves is weird as hell, it feels so unlike Star Wars. All these wolves constantly talking to the heroes, feels like I'm watching some anime or something

Loth-Rat Loth-Cat Loth-Wolf Run...

These new characters are some of my favorite they've done.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
It irks the crap out of me that the films ignore all the good stuff from the shows. Ahsoka is one of the best characters ever. She should have been a main character of Rogue One. Her backstory with Anakin (and absence from II and III) is easily explained in a quick flashback. Hopefully in whatever new stuff Disney has on TV will carry on from Rebels/Clone Wars.

Because most people view the cartoons as "kiddie cartoons" and won't take a second glance at them. Disney knows most people won't watch anything outside the movies, so they don't or rarely reference stuff from the cartoons.

We know this is untrue and how the cartoons are dark and have more depth than the movies at times, but that's how it is. I think the art style of the shows did more harm than good, it makes it look like its for children even though its not.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because most people view the cartoons as "kiddie cartoons" and won't take a second glance at them. Disney knows most people won't watch anything outside the movies, so they don't or rarely reference stuff from the cartoons.

We know this is untrue and how the cartoons are dark and have more depth than the movies at times, but that's how it is. I think the art style of the shows did more harm than good, it makes it look like its for children even though its not.

Yet look at the commercials during the episodes. Straight kid stuff.

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
Damn it, Filoni, that was really good. I knew it was coming throughout the whole episode (no spoilers, I just knew in my heart he would do it) and it still hurt when it happened.

So what do we think about Kanan's eyes at the end? Was it just a metaphor? Or did the Force grant him sight one last time as a reward for his valor?

Last edited:

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
One aspect of Rebels that you probably shouldn't think about too much is what the characters say and the amount of people they kill.

Sabine and Zeb not killing Rukh because "it's not their way" seems a little hollow when they left an IED behind to kill three stormtroopers just moments ago.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
One aspect of Rebels that you probably shouldn't think about too much is what the characters say and the amount of people they kill.

Sabine and Zeb not killing Rukh because "it's not their way" seems a little hollow when they left an IED behind to kill three stormtroopers just moments ago.
Haven't watched the episode yet but doesn't chopper murder people as well

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Tons of Storm Troopers die in this show, some shot right in the chest, others thrown off ships/buildings falling to their death. It's not as violent as Clone Wars though, that show literally showed people impaled by lightsabers. This show generally shows lightsaber kills off-screen.

I'm honestly surprised they let these cartoons get so violent. Disney XD is a kiddie show channel, Cartoon Network also toned down their action shows on their regular blocks in the last few years....yet Star Wars allows brutal violence and deaths. And suicides! Imagine my shock in Clone Wars when some characters willingly commit suicide by jumping off a cliff to their death. Hell the first Inquisitor in Rebels committed suicide.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

There's a bit of difference between impersonally blowing up a few troopers and beating an incapacitated enemy to death with your bare hands while yelling about how this. IS. FOR. KANAN.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
So what do we think about Kanan's eyes at the end? Was it just a metaphor? Or did the Force grant him sight one last time as a reward for his valor?

I'd prefer to think it was the force in some way. Filoni talked a bit about that moment:

https://nerdist.com/star-wars-rebels-death-dave-filoni-kanan-jarrus/
In Kanan's final heartbreaking moment, the Jedi regained his sight. That was with purpose. "In that moment he's not bound as this material thing that the physicality of sight would be a limitation to him," Filoni said. "He tells Hera at one point before they go to Malachor, 'We'll see each other again.' I felt that this was a follow through. And it happened because when I was drawing the storyboards for that scene at my desk–a lot of those scenes I'll sit there and personally pick all the shots and how I want it–I was drawing Kanan and I had drawn his eyes in. I was looking at it and thought, 'Yeah, he should look at her.' It happened that way. You have to seize the moment when you're telling stories, and it was just a fluid thing."

Whatever the reasoning, Kanan being allowed to see Hera one last time was a very effective touch.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone else planning to do a re-watch of the Mortis arc from The Clone Wars before the new episodes? It's been a while since I last watched them and obviously it's going to play some part in the final episodes.

om5ldfaqe2b01.png

Last edited:

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Decent episodes so far, but I still can't believe they just dropped the whole Ezra dark side subplot.

(First post on Era, yay!)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Decent episodes so far, but I still can't believe they just dropped the whole Ezra dark side subplot.

(First post on Era, yay!)

Nice of you to join us here. :)

Yeah, it's unfortunate they dropped that plot. It had a lot of potential. Still, from the trailers, we see Ezra is going to...

...meet with Palpatine soon. Without his master's guidance, I wonder how he'll be affected.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching the new episodes.

Jedi Night
What a great episode. Sure, they couldn't have made the death flags more obvious if they literally gave him a flag with a skull, but the interaction between drugged Hera and Kanan was so sweet and melancholy it gripped my heart and, despite knowing it was coming, made his death punch that much harder. Kanan getting his last real view of Hera was a beautiful scene.

DUME
Comparatively, this was a let down. The beginning started well, but after that the emotion seemed to disappear. Even Zeb almost killing Rukh didn't feel like there was much to it, I think because it didn't take any effort to stop him, like he was going to kill Rukh because he thought that was what they had agreed to do, not because he felt any rage over Kanan's death. Hera getting back to normal in 20 minutes felt especially wrong.

I guess I was hoping for something reflective and emotional, like a tribute to Kanan, and instead we got a palate cleanser because they didn't want our standards to be too high.

Not going to hold that against the rest of the season though, hopefully they can stick the landing.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hera getting back to normal in 20 minutes felt especially wrong.

I guess I was hoping for something reflective and emotional, like a tribute to Kanan, and instead we got a palate cleanser because they didn't want our standards to be too high.

Not going to hold that against the rest of the season though, hopefully they can stick the landing.
I'm not sure she's back to 'normal' really. She spends the majority of the episode away from the others. Star Wars has never been a series for characters to dwell on another's death. It was refreshing to have the characters have to face their grief and deal with it in different ways and that was more than I expected given the show is aimed at kids. Obviously the news that they'd successfully halted TIE Defender production gave her a boost, but I got the impression she and the rest of the Ghost crew are trying to focus on something else to distract them. Ezra's mission to get to the Jedi Temple is exactly that.

DarthGoomba

Oct 30, 2017
Jedi Night
What a great episode. Sure, they couldn't have made the death flags more obvious if they literally gave him a flag with a skull, but the interaction between drugged Hera and Kanan was so sweet and melancholy it gripped my heart and, despite knowing it was coming, made his death punch that much harder. Kanan getting his last real view of Hera was a beautiful scene.

EI6SOqN.gif

Sayers

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure she's back to 'normal' really. She spends the majority of the episode away from the others. Star Wars has never been a series for characters to dwell on another's death. It was refreshing to have the characters have to face their grief and deal with it in different ways and that was more than I expected given the show is aimed at kids. Obviously the news that they'd successfully halted TIE Defender production gave her a boost, but I got the impression she and the rest of the Ghost crew are trying to focus on something else to distract them. Ezra's mission to get to the Jedi Temple is exactly that.

To add to that, it may have only been 20 minutes of show time but the episode appears to take place over about a two day period: Kanan dies at night. Ezra, Sabine, and Hera meet up with Zeb and Chopper at what looks to be dawn. They arrive back at the rebel base during the day. Zeb and Sabine leave and encounter Rukh that night. Ezra encounters the lothwolves at night as well. Sabine and Zeb and then Ezra return to the rebel base again during the day. Seems to me we are talking at least 36-48 hours here.

They spent as much time on the grief as they could. The story has to keep moving.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They definitely upped their FX/CGI quality game.

The electrified door / forcefield and the gas explosion from the first ep was insane. Characters have more detail too compared to the rest of the season.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I must be in the minority because I found the episode to just be poor. First, Kanan's death reminds me a lot like Rogue One, in that it's drawn out and just happens with complete acceptance. You know Kana is going to die in the episode from his first scene, then every other scene with him is just clearly communicating to you that he's going to die, they just can't not drag it out. He even manages to get Hera a present before he dies, a present that will specifically help her come to terms with his death. Like, come on. How about a death we weren't expecting, some surprise? How about Kanan not marching towards his death in a solemn manner with complete acceptance?

After his death the characters all separate to basically do a bunch of nothing, oh the show makes it looks like they are using this time for character moments as each have to come to terms with Kanan's death, but that doesn't really happen. Sabine and Dumdumb go off to blow some stuff up and later capture the bounty hunter. But then they decide not to kill him for no real reason. They just decide to be good, there is no real debate or lead up to this moment. They just nod, smile, and agree. And thus, they send the bounty hunter back with a new makeup job, all good laughs. I mean, it's not like our best friend and leader was just brutally killed. Ezra continues to be a waste of space and spends the episode being chased by Force Wolves spouting cryptic message nonsense. Eventually he learns that the Jedi Temple is in danger, big whoopty do. Let's just forget him having to deal with his Master has just died leaving him alone without a mentor. And, of course, Hera spends the whole episode sitting in a cave talking to herself. It's somewhat better than the rest of the crew, but then she's "over" Kanan by the end of the episode.

The show is just pure kiddy kid through and through. It doesn't actually want to spend time developing any of these characters or have them actually deal with the consequences of actions. Everything has to return to smiles and jokes by the end of every episode.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that was dumb as hell.

Welp, one down, three to go! Hope I'm not disappointed.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
***cross-posting from the Star Wars thread***

I talked to David Glen Russell on Twitter (he works with Kevin Kiner on the Rebels - and Clone Wars - musical scores). He told me that they sprang for a 70 piece orchestra for the finale and that the music coming up will be amazing.

*audible gasp*
Don't tease me bro...

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Filoni is a mad man.

It's funny though because doesn't the...thing that happened...directly contradict the message of the episode?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really.

She isn't at her "moment" yet.

I meant more that Filoni has trouble parting with his creations, haha.

Although if she's now back in the real world where the hell is she during the war? Unless she comes back in the finale to fight Sheev and dies or gets locked away again or something.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant more that Filoni has trouble parting with his creations, haha.

Although if she's now back in the real world where the hell is she during the war? Unless she comes back in the finale to fight Sheev and dies or gets locked away again or something.
Or she comes back and trains Rey.

http://www./forum/Smileys/default/rejoice.png