• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I love this. And I like how they prominently credit the artist. I'm totally down with them staying permanently.

The home page and brand page banners are already up. I ripped them:

JRrz9Yv.jpg

5RmPLgX.jpg

And here's the little animation that appears when you go to the brand page:

Ha, kinda looks like Jyn's holding the saber there.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fair to say that there are MANY bad Star Wars opinions out there. We all know this. However, today I might have come across the worst SW take ever -

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I love this. And I like how they prominently credit the artist. I'm totally down with them staying permanently.

The home page and brand page banners are already up. I ripped them:

JRrz9Yv.jpg

5RmPLgX.jpg

And here's the little animation that appears when you go to the brand page:

Lol they traced over a Battlefront render rather than use an image from the film for Palpatine.

Battlefront_Palpatine.jpg

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That episode of CW. Fuck me, so good.
Why does Disney hate green lightsabers so much
Because having one colour of plastic is cheaper.
Ian Mcdiarmid is a literal vampire and cannot by photographed by mortal means

It's the only explanation
Well, he is the Senate after al.
That's pretty nifty.
Very pleasantly surprised to see Rose!
That's more then she showed up in ep9

JpiX0SR.gif

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No they didn't, those pictures don't even line up. That shot in the poster is from ROTJ

5dfdc73a954bda22ab627702
Also LF didn't make the poster. They had an artist make a mural for Celebration Chicago last year:

www.starwars.com

Lucasfilm Readies Massive Mural for Star Wars Celebration Chicago - Exclusive | StarWars.com

Lucasfilm’s Doug Chiang and artist Jason Palmer discuss their ultimate tribute to a galaxy far, far away.

Also when looking for this, the poster used for the Disney+ May the 4th promo isn't new either:
imperialholocron.com

Star Wars Celebration Chicago 2019 Key Art And Artist Alley Announcements - Imperial Holocron

Along with today’s guest announcements for Celebration Chicago, we also have our first look at the key art for the

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's fair to say that there are MANY bad Star Wars opinions out there. We all know this. However, today I might have come across the worst SW take ever -

I can respect the part about ANH being the best Star Wars movie, and how it's narrative whiplash going from the destruction of the Death Star to "Actually the Empire is still fine and the Rebels are on the run" at the start of ESB, but then he launches into this weird screed about how ESB taking things from the political to the personal is... a bad thing.

...they are no longer interested in wars in the stars. Despite its title, The Empire Strikes Back is rarely about the Alliance v the Empire, it's about who is related to whom and who is in love with whom (the two sometimes overlap). It twists the saga from the political to the personal, from space opera to soap opera. Is it possible to say whether the Empire is better or worse off at the end of the film, after all that supposed striking back? Not really. None of that matters, apparently, compared to the booming declaration: "I am your father!"

Imagine watching ESB and thinking "Ugh, all this character development and personal drama. When are we going to get back to the politics!?"

He then goes on to blame ESB for Rey Palpatine twist and every other bad evil family reveal in fiction, which gets points for galaxy brain contrarianism, but unfortunately he didn't manage to work in a jab against TLJ so tragically he just misses out on a perfect score in the Star Wars Hot Take event. Folks you hate to see it.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that 2 years later we still have no follow-up or resolution to this - be it a movie, TV show, comic or book

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I still wonder if they'd able to pull off Sam Witwer dubbing over Ray Park for an entire movie or show.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the music, definitely Blade Runner inspired to put it mildly. Reminds me of when the first two seasons had The Dark Knight and Wrath of Khan music.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
And then it crescendos in Anakin's Dark Deeds during the Order 66 sequence with bits of it peeking out later when the clones are searching for Ahsoka.

Kiner knows his stuff.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
07k2bUZ.jpg

And my 4K Sequel Duology is complete (I swapped the TFA box art from the 4K release with the one from the regular Blu Ray because I like it better and I'm a huge dork about box arts :P).

I mainly took this picture because I was looking at the ratings symbols and had to laugh: TLJ has 'science fiction violence' but TFA has science fiction THEMES and violence. Checkmate, losers who think TLJ has themes! JJ vindicated.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I love TLJ Hux. I am Era's number one Hux fan and will defend my crown from any challengers, but I think Hux was always a comic relief character, even in TFA. Domnhall Gleeson is so delightfully camp in that scene, rrrrrolling his 'r's and singing out all his vowels (my man is straight up doing vibrato on "bring an eeeend to the Senate"), and the comic timing on that beat before the Stormtroopers all Sieg Heil at the end is so pitch perfect that I can't believe it wasn't done intentionally. JJ and Larry Kasdan hadn't quite worked out who Hux needed to be yet, so he still has a few serious scenes in TFA, but Rian found him and made the character sing.

Hux is the classic conservative failson; everyone around him knows he's riding on his daddy's name and failing his way upwards into inherited power but he's convinced that he's actually working hard to get there. He'll fail over and over and over but it'll always be someone else's fault, and he'll rise through the ranks on the wings of unfounded self-confidence and a kind of slimy unpleasantness that could be mistaken for charisma if you squint. One of the things I really liked about the First Order is that it is such a perfect sendup of modern day US politics and the right-wing grifters who work the system, a group of prize idiots trying to emulate what they consider the golden age (the First Order is to the Empire what the Trump administration is to Reagan's), and Rian Johnson just nailed it so well. People complain about his Hux not being threatening or whatever, and of course they're right, he isn't. He's a huge dweeb who probably wore a suit and carried a briefcase in High School. But he's a dweeb who's in power and has his finger on the big red button all the same. People don't like that because it's not how the Empire's officers were portrayed in the Original Trilogy and they want 'proper' villains, but it's 100% true to the way things actually work in real life.

(See the masturbating Nazi child, aka Ben Shapiro, aka Young Hux in Knives Out for another very subtle example of Rian Johnson's views on conservative politics :P)

One of my many (maaaany) disappointments with TROS is the idea that Hux had to be replaced with a 'real', competent Nazi in the form of General Pryde, because it drops the metaphor entirely. It wastes the perfect chance to actually say something relevant to our current time in favour of utterly subtext-free good guys vs. bad guys. Themes are for dorks. Pryde subs in for Hux and the First Order just kind of disappears from the movie when, again, we know from real life that the idiots in charge don't just go away because they're idiots. You still have to beat them. How cathartic would it have been to watch Hux's metaphorical Trump administration finally come crumbling down? Did we really gain anything from having Pryde take over and mean mug for a couple of scenes and still die pathetically at the end? What a waste. I'll never be happy again.

btw, I think Colin Trevorrow actually understood Hux, or at least stumbled into it accidentally. The "I studied the blade" Jedi-weeb Hux from Duel of the Fates was out of left field but it's such a great idea. It's like Steve Bannon making sure to quote Roman generals in every interview so everyone knows how super smart and profound he definitely is. Having Hux deify Jedi as great warriors while thinking "Yeah, that's what I'm like", while still getting clowned on in every character interaction, would have been an inspired take on the character.

I would've loved Hux as main villain in TROS. I don't think him having comic relief moments in any way undermines his viciousness or competence in causing ills in the world, like you said just look at real life politicians who are regarded as idiots but still wield massive amounts of power in terrible ways. Tilda Swinton talked about the idea of a dictator/clown regarding her approach to Snowpiercer - her character, Mason, was originally written as a kind of mild-mannered male politician until she brought more comedic elements in (timestamped, stop watching at 2:33 if sensitive to Snowpiercer spoilers)

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I would've loved Hux as main villain in TROS. I don't think him having comic relief moments in any way undermines his viciousness or competence in causing ills in the world, like you said just look at real life politicians who are regarded as idiots but still wield massive amounts of power in terrible ways. Tilda Swinton talked about the idea of a dictator/clown regarding her approach to Snowpiercer - her character, Mason, was originally written as a kind of mild-mannered male politician until she brought more comedic elements in (timestamped, stop watching at 2:33 if sensitive to Snowpiercer spoilers)

That's a great comparison! Tilda Swinton is flat out ridiculous in Snowpiercer and it doesn't detract from her menace or the power dynamics of her as a villain at all. I never felt that Hux's comedy relief moments took away from the scenes where he is a genuinely threatening player. The scene where he stands above Kylo's unconscious body quietly unholstering his blaster, for instance; Domnhall Gleeson can turn it on and off like a switch. I always love this moment, too, with the shadows turning his eyes into empty black hollows:

ZAX3lQ.gif

btw, this is little off-topic I guess but what a captivating presence Tilda Swinton is, even in a press interview. She's one of those rare actors where I just have to hear her name and I'm interested, no matter what the movie is.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
What they did with Hux may have been the laziest, most unimaginative thing about TROS and that's saying something
The funny thing is they replaced him with someone "intimidating"... in line with what some people thought Hux was in TFA.

I just can't appreciate TROS man, seems like such a reactive movie.

Oct 28, 2017
The funny thing is they replaced him with someone "intimidating"... in line with what some people thought Hux was in TFA.

I just can't appreciate TROS man, seems like such a reactive movie.
The sequence where they roll through Kylo's ship might be the worst sequence in SW history. The way they just blast their way through the troopers without even looking... no tension, nothing. I don't even understand what that sequence even was

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
If it appeared in a movie, for even one frame, it also has a backstory on Wookieepedia. :)

Low-key one of my favorite things about Star Wars.

Fuck yes. As much as I adore Richard E Grant, that was a stupid, shitty rushed decision.

Also them:

Me:

4muG.gif

Honestly, this is part of the trouble they have in making these movies and shows. I think the ST might have faired better if the last movie tried to be its own thing instead of fan-service.

Hopefully, they continue to diversify stuff with TV until they find the right fit for the movies.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I see that Jason Ward has been cancelled. I don't know what he's alleged to have done. Probably best not to look into it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean canceled? Care to elaborate?
Being a creep. Apparently DM'ing underage girls. At first seemed innocent but then he was being overly nice to them like giving them leaked screens of TROS (the Ben and Rey both with blue sabers against Palpatine is one). Apparently creeping on their Instagram and liking a bunch of pictures. He tried to throw a friend (Corey who has posted a lot of exclusives about the new animated shows) under the bus for that but the friend came out and basically called him out for lying.

Bunch of other shit. Honestly you can go to his twitter and look at his replies and piece it together.

Good on people like Corey and Steele for getting out of that friendship.

Oct 28, 2017
Being a creep. Apparently DM'ing underage girls. At first seemed innocent but then he was being overly nice to them like giving them leaked screens of TROS (the Ben and Rey both with blue sabers against Palpatine is one). Apparently creeping on their Instagram and liking a bunch of pictures. He tried to throw a friend (Corey who has posted a lot of exclusives about the new animated shows) under the bus for that but the friend came out and basically called him out for lying.

Bunch of other shit. Honestly you can go to his twitter and look at his replies and piece it together.

Good on people like Corey and Steele for getting out of that friendship.
Gotcha. Something about that dude always rubbed me the wrong way now that I think on it