• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

To preface, I don't support racist harassment. With that said, I do support the ship; it gave this trilogy some badly-needed personality.
gxqWW7z.gif

I thank Reylo for introducing millions of boomers to concepts like shipping
That's nothing to be thankful for. LOL.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been talking about how awesome Reylos are for forever now. When alt-right nuts were harassing KMT off Twitter and instagram, Reylos were sending nothing but love and support to the cast.

Like Cross-Section said, the racism that some Reylos sent John was awful and that shit should never happen to Kelly, John or anyone else. With that said, not all the hate John got from Reylos was racist but rather annoyment that he was going after them after years of being a fandom that got shit on.

Honestly, what was gained from just adding to the shit those fans have gotten for years now? And just because they shipped two characters that were, you know, being paired up together for the past 2 movies.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'll never appreciate the pairing in all honesty. I think that while it may have injected some good fandom, I think it may have also contributed to a lesser Kylo.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
People going for Reylos honestly doesn't even make sense within this story. Okay, maybe during TFA but after TLJ? It'd be like getting mad at people for shipping a will they won't do relienship in a sitcom. At that point it's just part of the story.

I won't lie, I've taken my javs at shipping culture in the past but it seems like some people actually have real hatred for shipping.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I've been talking about how awesome Reylos are for forever now. When alt-right nuts were harassing KMT off Twitter and instagram, Reylos were sending nothing but love and support to the cast.

Like Cross-Section said, the racism that some Reylos sent John was awful and that shit should never happen to Kelly, John or anyone else. With that said, not all the hate John got from Reylos was racist but rather annoyment that he was going after them after years of being a fandom that got shit on.

I'm not comfortable with trying to equate having your fandom shat on with years of racist harassment. While I understand how much that must suck - it just isn't the same.

That image of BB8 being a cuckball is not something that's going to be easily forgotten it erased.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, what was gained from just adding to the shit those fans have gotten for years now? And just because they shipped two characters that were, you know, being paired up together for the past 2 movies.
Nah. Reylos are just as toxic. And there's no justification for going after John. Especially this one.

" With that said, not all the hate John got from Reylos was racist but rather annoyment that he was going after them after years of being a fandom that got shit on."
That image of BB8 being a cuckball is not something that's going to be easily forgotten it erased.
Fuck me i love that pic so much. 🤣
OqVi2yi.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not comfortable with trying to equate having your fandom shat on with years of racist harassment. While I understand how much that must suck - it just isn't the same.

A lot of people seemed ready to drop all of that racist harassment on the Reylos' doorstep for some reason. Even on ERA you saw a ton of people trying to paint those BB8 cuckball images as something Reylos did, when that happened before TFA even came out.

And the issue is that a lot of Reylos got harassed for years, too. You guys know that I'd randomly post a bunch of funny Reylo images over the years in this thread cus I was browsing the Reylo hashtag and while doing that, I also saw a lot of Reylos posting their harassment. People wishing death on them and saying they approved assault and all kinds of crazy shit. So I must once again stress that any racism against John was fucked up but that doesn't mean that everyone criticizing him was sending him racist messages.

Were people not allowed to be critical of John because others were being racist assholes?

Nah. Reylos are just as toxic. And there's no justification for going after John. Especially this one.

Reylos are just as toxic as alt-right assholes who have been going after the actors of this film, and anyone who works on them, since before TFA even came out? All of this because there were some Reylos who were racist towards John after TROS came out?

It's like nuance cannot possibly exist.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
There's also that common refrain in pop culture that shipping = bad, which doesn't particularly help in engendering sympathy for harassed Reylos from the typical online person who doesn't know better

they just surprise dropped TROS on digital...

Time to relive this I guess

Oh bless, we're about to get some good ass gifs

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were people not allowed to be critical of John because others were being racist assholes?
Critical of John for what, exactly ?

And the way Reylos went after him went far beyond just criticising him

Thankfully, he treated them with the contempt they deserved.
Reylos are just as toxic as alt-right assholes who have been going after the actors of this film, and anyone who works on them, since before TFA even came out?
let me clarify a bit. A different flavour of toxic.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Critical of John for what, exactly ?

And the way Reylos went after him went far beyond just criticising him

Thankfully, he treated them with the contempt they deserved.
When you've got a fandom that has gotten nothing but harassment and contempt since 2015 for the heinous act of shipping. When while you had alt-right trolls sending RJ death threats every second, when you had them chasing off Daisy Ridley and KMT off Instagram. Then when TROS comes out and they're upset with how it came out, you've got John sending them even more contempt and negativity, then why aren't people allowed to be critical of that? You can be critical and not racist, many were. People inherently go after shippers so they all just latched on to the ones who were being racist and tried to make it seem like all of Reylo is toxic.

When the truth is that Reylos have been the least toxic side of Star Wars fandom during the entirety of the ST trilogy.

let me clarify a bit. A different flavour of toxic.

What's toxic is saying they deserve contempt because they shipped two space wizards in a kids movie.

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
A lot of people seemed ready to drop all of that racist harassment on the Reylos' doorstep for some reason. Even on ERA you saw a ton of people trying to paint those BB8 cuckball images as something Reylos did, when that happened before TFA even came out.

And the issue is that a lot of Reylos got harassed for years, too. You guys know that I'd randomly post a bunch of funny Reylo images over the years in this thread cus I was browsing the Reylo hashtag and while doing that, I also saw a lot of Reylos posting their harassment. People wishing death on them and saying they approved assault and all kinds of crazy shit. So I must once again stress that any racism against John was fucked up but that doesn't mean that everyone criticizing him was sending him racist messages.

Reylos are just as toxic as alt-right assholes who have been going after the actors of this film, and anyone who works on them, since before TFA even came out? All of this because there were some Reylos who were racist towards John after TROS came out?

It's like nuance cannot possibly exist.

I was not one of those people then and I'm not even trying to do that now.

I'm simply pointing out that trying to make these two situations equivalent is not particularly helpful and in a way it's kind of harmful. In affording some of those Reylos leeway (the not racist ones) in their attacks on Boyega, we should be doing the same to Boyega. By not doing so it erases his victim-hood here. The fact that he was also under a ton of pressure and constantly being attacked even before TFA came out was something that I was trying to get at.

On this very board his own honest thoughts on the treatment of this character was met with people saying that he was "disrespectful" and that he deserved to have his career ended. People attacked him for daring to suggest that he wished his character was treated differently. When he misspoke or was misquoted on the KMT situation he wasn't allowed a moment of "maybe he meant it differently" it was immediate disapproval and hate despite his actions in the past (his support of KMT).

Reylos adding onto the harassment, whether it is racist and not, is toxic behavior - excusing any of it is pretty shitty. There is nuance here in that a group of people were treated badly for how they express their fandom - and nothing can excuse that even if I don't support it, people should be able to express that fandom however they'd like. Unfortunately, some members of that fandom took out their frustrations on one singular cast member in particular and he lashed out. It was a sucky situation all around.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was not one of those people then and I'm not even trying to do that now.

I'm simply pointing out that trying to make these two situations equivalent is not particularly helpful and in a way it's kind of harmful. In affording some of those Reylos leeway (the not racist ones) in their attacks on Boyega, we should be doing the same to Boyega. By not doing so it erases his victim-hood here. The fact that he was also under a ton of pressure and constantly being attacked even before TFA came out was something that I was trying to get at.

On this very board his own honest thoughts on the treatment of this character was met with people saying that he was "disrespectful" and that he deserved to have his career ended. People attacked him for daring to suggest that he wished his character was treated differently. When he misspoke or was misquoted on the KMT situation he wasn't allowed a moment of "maybe he meant it differently" it was immediate disapproval and hate despite his actions in the past (his support of KMT).

Reylos adding onto the harassment, whether it is racist and not, is toxic behavior - excusing any of it is pretty shitty. There is nuance here in that a group of people were treated badly for how they express their fandom - and nothing can excuse that even if I don't support it, people should be able to express that fandom however they'd like. Unfortunately, some members of that fandom took out their frustrations on one singular cast member in particular and he lashed out. It was a sucky situation all around.
I'm not equating both situation but rather making it clear that both situations actually exist.

When you've got people saying Reylos are as toxic as alt-right trolls or no better than Phantom Menace, then I think the full picture should be explained. Like you said, it's a sucky situation all around but it's made even more sucky when some people are scapegoated or made to be the same as literally nazi trolls.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

" With that said, not all the hate John got from Reylos was racist but rather annoyment that he was going after them after years of being a fandom that got shit on."

Fuck me i love that pic so much. 🤣
OqVi2yi.jpg

this was posted as anti-"SJW" propaganda targeted at the diverse casting of TFA and originated on 4chan in December 2015 by a user who felt there was no white male hero for him to 'relate' to. yes it's idiotic. hopefully Boyega didn't see it. it did not however, originate with shippers of any kind and has nothing to do with that section of fandom.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What you're seeing is just a garden variety ship war but filtered through the lens of 2020s zoomer politics. Instead of the traditional shipper arguments where it's two sides angrily debating the merits of the work itself, it's instead two groups accusing each other of being widespread bigots in hopes of attracting wider public sympathy. If you like Reylo you're a racist who hates John Boyega and if you hate Reylo you're a sexist who hates women. The actual answer is that some Reylo shippers are racist and some anti-Reylos are sexist, but attempting to paint any broader conclusion is dumb.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Talking about The Rise of Planatine can´t be good for my health. The 2nd viewing killed me dead DiipuSurotu but you could cobble together about 10 good minutes out of it in a super-cut of random scenes for a few shorts. I suggest 66% Palps, 33% Kylo pre Ben-demption and one shot of Billy Dee. Then exchange the live-action/CG mix to this rather impressive animation and call it a job well done. Like the amputation of a rotten limb but its the full body that needs to go this time. I´ll watch that any day of the week. Is this how you make gobshit entries to famous still going franchises work for me? I take the wannabe Shounen Jump youtube cuts of Alien 4 and AVP(R), Batman 3/4, Roboflop 3, Terminator 4/5 or any of the 6 RE films for my first round. Like this but with actual trash as the source:
79600290_2643402562556328_4546550651499668368_n.jpg

Art by Ahriman. Are Highlander and Starship Troopers still ongoing? Oh wait, we already went anime. Ok then. He did an anime-inspired SW short btw:
Subarashii. I can somewhat swallow TPM and CW 2008 (the film) despite being barely better but TROS is the death of art. Another Holiday Special or Ewok tv-movie situation but with ALL the budget.

Vander Vol 3 is good btw. That new Bounty Hunter comic though. Eh/10 for now. I don´t expect to stick around. The fake Terminator (he predates that franchise but Cameron "borrowed" from Harlan Ellison) simply doesn´t work for me in any of his appearances. Still. A 70s comic Legends character who even got a rare post-Disney story that is both non-canon and also uses old canon:
starwars.fandom.com

Star Wars (1977) 108

Thanks to the good people at Lucasfilm, we were given the opportunity to take an unprecedented trip down memory lane in celebration of Marvel's 80th anniversary and the special relationship Marvel has had with the epic space fantasy that started over four decades ago.Mark Paniccia Star Wars 108...
See? Legends still limps on though more that Kotor Online and... TROS. A line of degrading Palps clone bodies is now canon again? Which year is this, 1991/92? An even more convoluted version of Tricops now for real fathered Rey? I will never start mining salt myself, too much good Disney-era SW released to do that, BUT I get the lads. I really do.

Edit: You know what? Jim also stole from SW. No question! He is was literally the Terminator back in the late 70s. Then and now:
latest
latest

WTF? I love Beilert Valance now? Get Arnie to the chopper. We have a new D+ show to shoot!
starwars.fandom.com

Beilert Valance

Beilert Valance, also known as Valance the Hunter, was a human male bounty hunter. Born into slavery on Chorin, Valance became a miner like his father before him. He grew up idealizing the Galactic Empire, which he would later leave his homeworld to join, under designation Cadet 404-913. Valance...
Honestly yeah this is kind of where I'm at as well. Maybe make palpatine 90% at least for me. He's the only scenes I rewatch

Deleted member 56306

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
this was posted as anti-"SJW" propaganda targeted at the diverse casting of TFA and originated on 4chan in December 2015 by a user who felt there was no white male hero for him to 'relate' to. yes it's idiotic. hopefully Boyega didn't see it. it did not however, originate with shippers of any kind and has nothing to do with that section of fandom.

Well aware of that and that's not at all what I was saying.

Please read the rest of what I posted in the thread.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Page from the new Kylo Ren comic with huge implications on Snoke:

anqekx3wa3m41.jpg

Looks like Snoke really was Palpatine's puppet with Palpatine speaking through Snoke.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

They haven't drawn Kylo's nose anywhere near big enough, but I will be magnanimous and forgive them because this is still really cool. Chills every time I hear that unhinged scream.

Tips for any aspiring Kylo Ren fan artists: make that nose big. If it doesn't HONK, you've drawn it too small. If you think you've made it big enough, size that bad boy up a little bit more just to be safe.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I will say that Richard E. Grant´s replacement Nazi was this close to working after Riefenstahl Jr was shot to shit in the last one. General Pryde retaking his command under Palps whatever point 0, a damn fine scene.
ergeofgreat.jpg

A ST villain that almost worked from start to finish. He´ll go a long way in the EU.

Guess what Era. I noticed an hour ago that TROS and a certain... controversial David Fincher trilogy conclusion got a LOT in common. You know? The one that is more famous for what went wrong at every stage of production than the film itself. I have to sleep on an "Assembly Cut" of my very own to make my 1000 word behemoth work but I had fun and only slog the studios. Fox at least admitted failure a decade later and legitimately reached out to the fans but stumbled even though that on the first try in 2003. The "joy" of franchise filmmaking if both the studio and the producers put you in a losing battle:
the-opening-sequence-of-alien-iii-just-what-the-hell-is-going-on-here-44.jpg
fincher-alien-3.jpg

"I hope someone goes to see this movie" David Fincher on the set... and probably JJ.

"They look at these movies like a franchise. There are people, who shall remain nameless, that I was bumping into as I was trying to put this thing together who were putting the experience into a really interesting kind of perspective. They were saying 'Look, you could have somebody piss against the wall for two hours and call it Alien 3 and it's going to do $30 million worth of business, you can't keep people away. They're going to go the first night to see what it is.'" David Fincher
mossfilm.wordpress.com

Alien 3 – Fincher Talks!

How David Fincher really felt about Alien 3. Director David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac) began his career in the movie business as a matte photographer, working for George Lucas’ Industrial …
Only in Hollywood. (And in AAA gaming, lol.)

PS: JJ´s new and constantly delayed Spidey Jr comic he wrote with his son that both promoted during TROS´s press tour is a mess btw.

Last edited:

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Alphabet Squadron and Vector Prime today.

Gonna. Get caught up some canon stuff and delve more into Legends to hold me till Light of the Jedi.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
I feel like jj got lazy on TROS
I'm watching force awakens and the difference is pretty big. Just the way he filmed the destruction of the republic vs kijimi. For kijimi it was barely noticed just like a few seconds but republic had this beautiful score going over it when it was destroyed and very detailed.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
This whole pandemic thing is making things pretty hard on me to just relax and enjoy Star Wars these days. my mind can't seem to concentrate when reading or watching something. Maybe it's time to take a break

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Watchmen's Damon Lindelof Would Love To Work in the MCU and Star Wars Universe

"And, at some point," Lindelof added, "but certainly not in the immediate future, I feel like I would love to do something in the Star Wars universe. Maybe a decade from now when I would no longer be blamed for ruining it. That would be a hoot."

Oh wow!
Only this time I would advise him to listen to some of the fans that say that SW has already been ruined.

Gimme my D+ series now pls.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like jj got lazy on TROS
I'm watching force awakens and the difference is pretty big. Just the way he filmed the destruction of the republic vs kijimi. For kijimi it was barely noticed just like a few seconds but republic had this beautiful score going over it when it was destroyed and very detailed.
It's partly laziness/lack of imagination, but a lot of it was also just an extremely rushed production + making the massive story miscalculation to inject Palpatine back into the trilogy (which I guess goes back to the laziness).

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
It's partly laziness/lack of imagination, but a lot of it was also just an extremely rushed production + making the massive story miscalculation to inject Palpatine back into the trilogy (which I guess goes back to the laziness).
They really should had moved its opening date later to let production not feel rushed. I don't like force awakens as much as I use to particularly because of Skywalker but it's still a fine film and just really well made and rise doesn't not meet its standard

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I think JJ probably worked his fingers to the bone getting TROS done on time. They gave him a brutally short deadline to work with and apparently no wiggle room, so he just had to make it happen. Honestly it's pretty impressive that he managed to get it finished at all; you can't fault the work ethic.

Frankly I think TROS being, y'know, what it is, just comes down to really bad ideas and no time to fix them. JJ and Terrio got carried away writing this godawful script about chasing a dagger across multiple planets that turned out to be too long for one movie, but there just wasn't any time to re-write from scratch, so the entire production was a matter of chopping and changing and editing on the fly to try and wrestle it all together into something mostly coherent. Lose any given step of the dagger hunt and you lose the setup for some story beat that happens later in the movie, so you end up just having to trim all the little bits of connective tissue and ruin the pacing instead just to try and prune the runtime down.

Like, even if JJ had snapped into a brief moment of lucidity during shooting one day and said "Oh no, what have I done?", there was just no time to do anything else. The Disney machine waits for no one. I feel like the make-or-break moment for Episode IX was the day they fired Trevorrow. They had a choice between just cancelling the original release date and starting the entire production over from scratch to ensure they made something worthwhile, or shopping around for a director crazy enough to cobble something together on the same schedule to make sure they had something in theatres by the deadline. They chose poorly.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know some people hate the Rey Palpatine reveal, but I really like the line "your master Luke Skywalker was saved by his father.. the only family you have here is me."

Frankly, I wish Rey and Sheev could have interacted more prior to the climax. Maybe Plaps actually trys to act like a good grandpa and Rey feels conflicted.

Lots of missed opportunities.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there's even a consensus among Lucasfilm employees whether Snoke was his own person or whether Sheev was just driving him around the entire time.

Just from watching the movies (even if you didn't know that the whole Sheev thing was only written for Ep IX), they're obviously two different beings. Snoke knows things Sheev didn't know. Snoke definitely wanted to kill Rey 100% dead. Snoke is a better actor with a far larger vocabulary (sorry Sheev). Sheev obviously doesn't have Snoke's "I see your every intention" power. The Dyad stuff makes absolutely no sense when Snoke claims he bridged their minds but Sheev didn't even know about it.

But then you have Sheev saying he was every voice inside Ben's head, and that comic page which implies that Sheev was Snoke. Maybe Sheev just took control and drove Snoke around some of the time, and Snoke's consciousness just blanked out and didn't remember those moments? You know, something really satisfying and well thought out like that.

Last edited: