• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People love to nitpick the ST trilogy yet ignore the glaring silliness of the OT.

I mean, why in the hell would the Lars keep Luke's last name when they know Obi Wan gave them the kid to hide and protect? Leia's last name is changed so why did they keep the Skywalker name?

Hell, Lucas had to be reminded that C3P0 must have his memory wiped at the end of Sith for his actions and reactions to key characters in the OT to make any sense.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People love to nitpick the ST trilogy yet ignore the glaring silliness of the OT.

I mean, why in the hell would the Lars keep Luke's last name when they know Obi Wan gave them the kid to hide and protect? Leia's last name is changed so why did they keep the Skywalker name?

Hell, Lucas had to be reminded that C3P0 must have his memory wiped at the end of Sith for his actions and reactions to key characters in the OT to make any sense.
How do people ignore that? You literally cited the most frequently mentioned plotholes of the OT (along with Vader not sensing his own daughter in ANH).

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

And Luke has to live on a desert planet as a moisture farmer but Leia gets to live as a princess in space Switzerland and she meets Vader and he doesn't recognize her in any way?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And Luke has to live on a desert planet as a moisture farmer but Leia gets to live as a princess in space Switzerland?

Yeah, he really got screwed in that deal.

Then again, why even split them up? Why not have the royal family of Alderan take them both in? Seems like a far safer environment than a backwater planet that allows slavery and is largely controlled by nomadic raiders and gangsters. :)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Luke has to live on a desert planet as a moisture farmer but Leia gets to live as a princess in space Switzerland and she meets Vader and he doesn't recognize her in any way?
In Lucas's original ideas for the ST it made more sense: Luke has to live on a desert planet as a moisture farmer but Nellith was sent to another fucking galaxy

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's one from ESB, how does Vader beat Han and the gang to Bespin? He was pursuing them in person in a Star Destroyer yet he not only arrives before Han and Leia but already has a trap in place and an agreement with Lando. Even if you subscribe to the notion that the Destroyer could have made it there quicker because the Falcon's hyperdrive was busted, how did Boba Fett know where they were going so as to alert Vader and the Imperials? All we ever see is Fett following behind them.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's one from ESB, how does Vader beat Han and the gang to Bespin? He was pursuing them in person in a Star Destroyer yet he not only arrives before Han and Leia but already has a trap in place and an agreement with Lando. Even if you subscribe to the notion that the Destroyer could have made it there quicker because the Falcon's hyperdrive was busted, how did Boba Fett know where they were going so as to alert Vader and the Imperials? All we ever see is Fett following behind them.
Maybe they arrived after Han and the gang, but struck a deal with Lando while Han the gang were in their quarters?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they arrived after Han and the gang, but struck a deal with Lando while Han the gang were in their quarters?
LANDO: I had no choice. They arrived right before you did.

If I had to come up with an explanation, Boba estimated where the route was leading to and told the Empire. Not many systems nearby easy to reach without a hyperdrive so it's not too implausible.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Something that's only rarely discussed in Star Wars is that it's possible to predict a ship's travel based on its trajectory:

Vader said:
Alert all commands. Calculate every possible destination along their last known trajectory.

Boba can probably do the same thing and also is likely familiar with Han and therefore guesses Bespin is their most likely target.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My point is you can pretty much poke holes in most any sci-fi or fantasy work.

I'm still tying to figure out how Tony Stark managed to create his own Infinity Gauntlet when the prior version was made by an interstellar blacksmith whose forge was a literal star.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something that's only rarely discussed in Star Wars is that it's possible to predict a ship's travel based on its trajectory:

Maybe but that's no less tenuous than Holdo ramming the pursuing fleet using the hyperdive, which some fans claimed was some massive plot hole because nobody had done it before.

Then again, many of these same people insist that Luke going into exile was some unforgivable transgression for the character despite the fact that both Yoda and Obi Wan do the very same things despite being two of the most power Jedi in the galaxy.

I think the Rebellion could have used these two Jedi, both of whom essentially opt out of the conflict for thirty years.

Oct 28, 2017
England
New YA novel about Poe's spice-runnin' days

Ugh, this just serves to remind me how badly TROS handled Poe. Not only did he get a factory reset back into the hot-headed pilot he was before TLJ, rather than the leader Rian set him up to be, his back story was needlessly changed too. Instead of being a model graduate and rising star in the New Republic's navy who only left to join the fledgling Resistance, JJ and Terrio turned one of the few Latino characters in Star Wars into a former drug smuggler. Rather than having had Leia be a maternal figure for him following his mothers early death (thereby giving her a second surrogate child to be proud of) Poe will now forever have spent his formative years being moulded by a space cartel.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Poe having been a spice smuggler just continues the ST theme of characters not being defined by their past/origins. I thought it made him a lot more interesting in TROS. And we still get the scene of him talking to Leia after she's died looking to Leia for guidance of how to lead.

Oct 28, 2017
England
Poe having been a spice smuggler just continues the ST theme of characters not being defined by their past/origins. I thought it made him a lot more interesting in TROS. And we still get the scene of him talking to Leia after she's died looking to Leia for guidance of how to lead.

But Poe already demonstrated that with his origins through his contrasts with Ben Solo. Both were children of the alliance, born to Rebel heroes of renown, but whilst one fell to the darkside despite their privilege and family, one remained steadfast in his devotion to making the galaxy a better place, despite the lose he endured like losing his mother at age 8. Poe was the antithesis of Ben, showing how despite two similar origins, neither was defined or ordained by those origins. For me personally, that makes Poe as a character more interesting than a sudden revelation of dark criminal past.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
But Poe already demonstrated that with his origins through his contrasts with Ben Solo. Both were children of the alliance, born to Rebel heroes of renown, but whilst one fell to the darkside despite their privilege and family, one remained steadfast in his devotion to making the galaxy a better place, despite the lose he endured like losing his mother at age 8. Poe was the antithesis of Ben, showing how despite two similar origins, neither was defined or ordained by those origins. For me personally, that makes Poe as a character more interesting than a sudden revelation of dark criminal past.
It's a stretch to frame Poe as the antithesis of Ben, especially when that is quite literally Rey's job. You've have to ignore a lot of context to boil the comparison down to simply having parents that were rebels heroes. You might have something framing Poe as a surrogate son to Leia, but you've have to do a little legwork keeping up with the canon outside the films to even scrape that.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Jedi Fallen Order bonus videos and it sounds likes Lucasfilm are a nightmare to work with, they seem to want approval on everything.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Caught TROS a second time before it left my local cinema. Hated the film the first time around but going in knowing the dumb story beats helps. Finished Mandalorian as well and oh man those last two episodes are exactly what I wanted that show to be, hope they keep up that momentum in S2.

Oct 28, 2017
England
It's a stretch to frame Poe as the antithesis of Ben, especially when that is quite literally Rey's job. You've have to ignore a lot of context to boil the comparison down to simply having parents that were rebels heroes. You might have something framing Poe as a surrogate son to Leia, but you've have to do a little legwork keeping up with the canon outside the films to even scrape that.

Rey is absolutely Ben's polar opposite it terms of the overall story, but when contrasting their origins with their respective life journeys, I think Poe and Ben make for great comparisons (although I concede I used antithesis for want of a more succinct word). No other ST characters come close to coming from such similar circumstances of birth, yet winding up taking such radically divergent paths through life.
  • Rey waited on Jakku from childhood into being a young adult for her parents to return, ignorant both of her heritage and the wider world.
  • Finn and Jannah were both raised from childhood to be soldiers for an oppressive regime.
  • Rose and her sister were born into extreme poverty before being enslaved by the First Order.
  • Hux was the son of a prominent Imperial general, spenting his entire life on the fringes of the galaxy hiding with the remnants of fascistic military.
I personally don't feel you need to read other material to get a sense of the familial relationship between Poe and Leia, especially in TLJ. Leia conceded that Ben was lost to her in the caves of Crait, and it was Poe she told others to turn towards in leading them to safety, the heir apparent to the Resistance. Leia obviously never stopped loving Ben nor hoping for his return from the darkside, but two films in and Poe was the child Leia chose when things looked their darkest. To quote Carrie herself, "it's about family, and that's whats so powerful about it".

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, this just serves to remind me how badly TROS handled Poe. Not only did he get a factory reset back into the hot-headed pilot he was before TLJ, rather than the leader Rian set him up to be, his back story was needlessly changed too. Instead of being a model graduate and rising star in the New Republic's navy who only left to join the fledgling Resistance, JJ and Terrio turned one of the few Latino characters in Star Wars into a former drug smuggler. Rather than having had Leia be a maternal figure for him following his mothers early death (thereby giving her a second surrogate child to be proud of) Poe will now forever have spent his formative years being moulded by a space cartel.

I find Poe's drug smuggling thing so weird because, like, doesn't everyone smuggle drugs in this universe? The impression I got from the old EU was that everyone in Star Wars is basically smuggling spice 24/7 and there isn't necessarily that much of a stigma to it. I mean, Han definitely smuggled spice, right? 100%. It's like driving an Uber in Star Wars.

But the worst bit is when they do the "You were a spice runner?" "Weren't you a Stormtrooper?" "You were a spice runner?" "Weren't you a scavenger?" bit. Like, Stormtrooper, OK, but Poe trying to make equivalencies about Rey scavenging? Bro she would have died if she hadn't scavenged. Employment opportunities were not rich on Jakku. You scavenged or Unkar Plutt's goons beat you to death. Scavenging isn't Rey's dirty secret from her past that she doesn't want people to know about, Poe. She had to do it to survive, Poe. Poe. God, Poe.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I really liked the spice runner bit in TROS but i think the story group is going to have a hard time fitting that into his timeline

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
"No one's ever really gone" aren't just pretty words, it's an important line that was explicitly about Ben Solo. This notion of Leia replacing her son for another, gooder 'purer' man being a natural conclusion of events or even what was going through her mind is lowkey creepy to me. You can't just discard your own child like a broken toy. Unless the view is that Leia was a shitty parent to the end, I guess. Poe's arc was never about needing or wanting a new mother figure, either. Growing into the role Leia held as Resistance leader = becoming her so to speak, not becoming her son (are women just mothers or something...) The Resistance itself was just as much Leia's baby as her actual kid (and ended up being the 'kid' she spent more time on.)
And if we're bringing ancillary material into it with the Shara Bey stuff, as a child Ben wanted to be a pilot of the Falcon like his dad, so if things were different and he got his way he was never truly in line to inherit Leia's role as Resistance leader anyway lol

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of her critical analysis is usually pretty spot-on, but I am getting tired of seeing her drag everything Star Wars lately.

I understand hating TROS, but spreading this bullshit around is dumb.
Well, not everything Star Wars. I think I saw say she's not into episodic content (or TV in general) as I think she hasn't see the Mandalorian yet.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Why did no one tell me that two guys from Collider had also gotten their hands on the December Connolly/Trevorrow draft and did a rundown of it? There are a bunch of new details here (the leader of the Knights of Ren has the Darksaber!).

At least one writer for The Playlist has also read the script. What I'm saying is somebody leak this thing already. I'm dying here.

On a related note, the concept art leak includes captions for the pieces and one has some information that I've haven't seen elsewhere. The one for the wide shot of Bonadan says "The crew flies to Bonadan, where Poe lived with his grandfather," but I can't find any mention of the grandfather bit anywhere else and I've spent the last couple of days going through Robert Meyer Burnett's videos about the draft.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On season 4 of Clone Wars.

Damn, the Umbara arc was so fucking good. I loved the whole aspect being about the Clones.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Why did no one tell me that two guys from Collider had also gotten their hands on the December Connolly/Trevorrow draft and did a rundown of it? There are a bunch of new details here (the leader of the Knights of Ren has the Darksaber!).

At least one writer for The Playlist has also read the script. What I'm saying is somebody leak this thing already. I'm dying here.

I'm honestly finding this too depressing to listen to. I got through like ten minutes of them talking about how much they loved Rose, and the way the opening scene with the kids shouting out "JEDI! JEDI!" when they see Rey, showing the way Luke's final stand spread across the galaxy ala TLJ's Broom Kid epilogue... it's too much, I can't do it :P

Someone please leak this script so I can torture myself even worse. Really just sink right down into that inky blackness.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested in a 1/1 life size Baby Yoda, Sideshow just put theirs up for pre-order. Probably the most accurate sculpt I've seen for it. Price is honestly not that bad too for a 1/1 scale. $350.

Their site crashed when they put this up up for pre-order 30 minutes ago so it still might be down.

www.sideshow.com

The Child Life-Size Figure

The Child Life-Size Figure by Sideshow Collectibles is available at Sideshow.com for fans of The Mandalorian.

ABOUT THIS LIFE-SIZE FIGURE
"I would like to see the baby."

Sideshow presents The Child Life-Size Figure, created in partnership with Legacy Effects to bring you the galaxy's most sought-after bounty.

Lovingly referred to by audiences as "Baby Yoda", the mysterious alien known as The Child has quickly become the breakout fan-favorite of Star Wars': The Mandalorian on Disney+. Now eager collectors can become a clan of two and bring home the asset as an incredible 1:1 scale Star Wars collectible, no tracking fob needed.

The Child Life-Size Figure measures 16.5 tall, standing on a simple black podium base that lets this adorable alien steal all of the focus- along with the Mandalorian's ship parts. Inspired by its unique onscreen appearance, this mixed media statue features a tan fabric coat swaddling The Child as it gazes up with charming wide eyes, hiding the silver shift knob from the Razor Crest in its right hand.

Every inch of this incredibly lifelike figure has been meticulously detailed to recreate everything that Star Wars fans love about the young alien, from the fuzz on its wrinkled head to its irresistible pout, all the way down to its tiny, toddling feet. Fans looking to bring home The Mandalorian collectibles need look no further- bounty hunting is a complicated profession but collecting the galaxy's cutest alien has never been easier!

Secure the asset for your Star Wars figures collection and bring home The Child Life-Size Figure today.

Artists
Legacy Effects (Sculpt) (Mold and Cast) (Paint) (Cut and Sew) (Development) (Design)
The Sideshow Design and Development Team (Development) (Design)

ADDITIONAL DETAILS & DIMENSIONS:
Materials: Fabric , Plastic , Resin
Product Size: Height: 16.5" (419.1 mm) | Width: 13" (330.2 mm) | Depth: 9" (228.6 mm) |

$350

the-child_star-wars_gallery_5e3204bdad395.jpg

the-child_star-wars_gallery_5e3204be02fcb.jpg

the-child_star-wars_gallery_5e3204be4f668.jpg

the-child_star-wars_gallery_5e3204beaa316.jpg

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that makes sense. I looked at the leaks after the movie came out, and it seems like the most recent known outlines of the film had Palpatine explaining to Kylo in the beginning that he and Rey were a dyad. It sounds like that entire beginning on Exegol was completely changed in reshoots, including Palpatine's knowledge of Rey and Kylo's connection.

I also think Palpatine's broadcast message offscreen was a last minute addition, because for the longest time the Jedi Paxis leaks were about how the film opened with Kylo searching "for the mysterious power behind Snoke."

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh lol so that's why I couldn't access the Sideshow site. I was trying to find the price of the Obi Mythos figure that was posted earlier. Which in case anyone is wondering it's $260. My college self doesn't have that kind of cash on me though. :< I just want a fairly decent figure that won't make my wallet cry.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is interested in a 1/1 life size Baby Yoda, Sideshow just put theirs up for pre-order. Probably the most accurate sculpt I've seen for it. Price is honestly not that bad too for a 1/1 scale. $350.

Their site crashed when they put this up up for pre-order 30 minutes ago so it still might be down.

www.sideshow.com

The Child Life-Size Figure by Sideshow Collectibles is available at Sideshow.com for fans of The Mandalorian.

tenor.gif

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

www.sideshow.com

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

www.sideshow.com

giphy.gif

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Knights of Ren should've been the dudes that Rey and Kylo fought in Snoke's throneroom in TLJ

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The Knights of Ren should've been the dudes that Rey and Kylo fought in Snoke's throneroom in TLJ

Rian Johnson was asked about this on the Empire podcast at the time:
"We have a very full movie already there literally was just not room for another element," Johnson explained. "I guess I could've used them in place of the Praetorian guards but then it would feel like wasting them because all those guards had to die. And if Kylo had some kind of connection to them it would've added a complication that wouldn't have helped the scene… Truth is, I just didn't see a place for them in the movie."

Trevorrow's movie seems like it would have used the Knights pretty extensively, but that was back in Timeline #1 and we don't live there any more :P

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Just a heads up: Rogue One will be getting a 4K release https://yes.b2bwave.com/products/view/43591 / https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=324689

It's probably the prettiest ST film, so I'll be getting it for sure

Missed this news. Happy days!

www.sideshow.com

This is wonderful! I'm hoping (and keeping my pennies) for a Hot Toys 1/6 scale with Mando DX set