• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The cynic in me reading that quote about collaborating is reminded of Microsoft and Tomb Raider...
It does. Though the difference here is that the wording is clear; it's a "console launch exclusive". With Rise, Microsoft spent a whole month doing their best to avoid being clear about the exclusivity deal. It wasn't until July that Square Enix finally confirmed a PS4 version would be released a year later, and I'm pretty sure that only happened because of the uproar from the fan base.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Can't reallly complain about money hats in this case since it's releasing on pc also.

The argument that microsoft gets exclusives or buys studios but release their games on xbox and pc, pretty much applies here as well

Microsoft is putting all of its in house games on PC and Xbox, not sure what you're getting at here. It's up to Sony where they want to release their studio games as well. This is a timed third party deal to make sure it comes out later on other consoles, most likely a year when interest dies down and most people don't care any longer. It's a strategy that works best for market leaders to the point where they become the dominant force in peoples purchases because they are accustomed to getting most of the games. Do this enough times and when a third party game doesn't come, then it becomes a big deal to that userbase.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Microsoft is putting all of its in house games on PC and Xbox, not sure what you're getting at here. It's up to Sony where they want to release their studio games as well. This is a timed third party deal to make sure it comes out later on other consoles, most likely a year when interest dies down and most people don't care any longer. It's a strategy that works best for market leaders to the point where they become the dominant force in peoples purchases because they are accustomed to getting most of the games. Do this enough times and when a third party game doesn't come, then it becomes a big deal to that userbase.

Because i tend to hear the argument of "well at least they aren't making it xbox exclusive because you can play it on pc versus sony who makes games exclusive to PlayStation", then the same should apply in this situation.

It's available to enough people right off the bat, and will eventually go to other platforms.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Because i tend to hear the argument of "well at least they aren't making it xbox exclusive because you can play it on pc versus sony who makes games exclusive to PlayStation", then the same should apply in this situation.

It's available to enough people right off the bat, and will eventually go to other platforms.
Sony isn't making it though...

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does. Though the difference here is that the wording is clear; it's a "console launch exclusive". With Rise, Microsoft spent a whole month doing their best to avoid being clear about the exclusivity deal. It wasn't until July that Square Enix finally confirmed a PS4 version would be released a year later, and I'm pretty sure that only happened because of the uproar from the fan base.

? Phil Spencer said it was timed the next day.

www.eurogamer.net

Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb …

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They clarified the exclusivity at Gamescom, as that article says. The exclusivity was announced at E3.

You're right, I guess I misremembered. Oddly though, the article I linked, also notes they made they announcement at gamescom

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox.

edit: oh, no, it's because you're looking at E3 2015 and they announced it at Gamescom 2014

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Nice! I'm in day one, the original KOTOR is one of the greatest games ever. I hope they do it proper justice.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Wait is this actually a timed exclusive? Based on what Im reading, it looks like Sony is publishing it and possibly co developing it?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, I guess I misremembered. Oddly though, the article I linked, also notes they made they announcement at gamescom

edit: oh, no, it's because you're looking at E3 2015 and they announced it at Gamescom 2014
Yeah, sorry, I got the years mixed up. But I remember the specifics of when the game would launch on other platforms remained hazy for a long time. It wasn't until close to launch that they announced the PC version would come three months later, and the PS4 version was only officially confirmed in July 2016.

It's common nowadays that exclusivity deals last up to a year tops, but back then we had no idea.

Apr 25, 2020
Am I the only one that thinks KOTOR's gameplay isn't really that dated? Like sure times have changed and slow, rigid gameplay like that will probably be frowned upon, but there's a part of me (probably the nostalgia goggles) that liked pausing the battle and queuing up my actions. I think the combat in this game needs to retain some sort of tactical edge similar to what the first game had, just more modernized.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Can they stop including remake and remaster in the official goddamn title? They straight up ruined the KOTOR logo.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
wow, this is just wacky. I feel like it will be very popular on PC but Im not sure about PS5 maybe it will do well but oh the big KOTOR fans I would expect them mostly playing on PC and Xbox.
Its pretty wacky actually like if the FF7 remake had been timed xbox exclusive.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
So the rumor has finally lead to an announcement. I am going to wait for gameplay footage before getting excited.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be interested to see if they revamp the combat in this game. Since, let's be honest, that was not the draw in the original. Being able to role play in a Star Wars game was more than enough to overlook that the combat was basically just spam power or flurry attack, depending on your build, heal when needed. It was extremely basic. But if we're going to create a meaningful remake, that's the number one thing I'd want to see revamped.

Also, I'm curious if 95% of the voiced dialog is still going to be mushu shaka paka.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
t4im2yn0bjm71.png

Essa imagem é PESSADÍSSIMA.

I pictured this very scene so many times in my mind. And it's finally real.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks KOTOR's gameplay isn't really that dated? Like sure times have changed and slow, rigid gameplay like that will probably be frowned upon, but there's a part of me (probably the nostalgia goggles) that liked pausing the battle and queuing up my actions. I think the combat in this game needs to retain some sort of tactical edge similar to what the first game had, just more modernized.
Its the nostalgia goggles. i don't think the major issue is the pause system, it's the action selection system. Especially on consoles where you had to fumble with dpad commands.

That shit was awkward at launch and will be even more out of place now without a revamp.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, at least they let people know, with some of Sony's deals we never find out their future plans for titles.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
There is ZERO way they do it like a CRPG on consoles.

We got CRPGs for that. It's going to be real-time combat with pausing to select abilities, a la Dragon Age Inquisition or the most modern version: FF7 Remake. That game set the standard.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up the original on XSX recently. It'll be fun to quick resume between the two (after the exclusivity deal expires).

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
We want this game to be funded and nurtured like AAA game right? Yeah SIE ain't gonna let this game be dog water.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While the original was amazing, it was really formulaic(go to a hub, finish quests, go to next hub), and the quests were few, so I am hoping that they'll add more stuff to do and sights to see.