• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What's interesting is that Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order on PS4 Pro doesn't drop below 60 FPS even during heavy combat sections. The only time I noticed a drop in the frames per second was when I entered a new area in the game.

That seems really odd if that's the case on Pro vs X. Unless the Pro's performance mode runs at a much lower resolution.
I beg to differ on this (that's from those impressions, right?) - the frame-rate is almost never 60fps. Will have a video soon.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the game, but the strange phasing of NPCs in cut scenes really does take you out of the moment.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah playing it on base PS4 the game is ...very unpolished. So much pop ins during cutscenes like shadows etc it's weird. Kinda expected more from a" AAA" game tbh..

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
How's the resolution? Worried after reading Xbox resolution being 720p.

I'm playing it on a 4k tv with HDR on so it looks fine, I think it's 1080p though since again im playing it on base. But there's some framerate issues when you enter new areas and glitching, not to mention a lot of weird pop insssss

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
It feels like I'm getting far too much slowdown on X. It gets surprisingly bad at times in resolution mode. I hope they do a next gen enhancement for this game at 4K60.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
How did they let that running/walking animation cycle get into the final product? They look terrible, no average person runs or walks like that. For starters, one doesn't keep their arms separated from their body by such a wide margin, it's not a normal position and it's actually more exhausting because you're actively keeping your arm away from your body. That shit is going to annoy me a lot when I play this game, as well as the "I crapped my pants but I'm in a hurry" running animation.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I know people shit on unlocked frame rates. But I didn't mind in GOW I switched to the performance mode whenever I had a tough battle and although it was obviously not 60fps it felt better than the 30fps lock.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know people shit on unlocked frame rates. But I didn't mind in GOW I switched to the performance mode whenever I had a tough battle and although it was obviously not 60fps it felt better than the 30fps lock.
I can't stand it, to be honest. I am really debating with myself to wait until next gen console to play this game. By then it will most likely have received enough patches to resolve the current bugs, too, and will be much cheaper.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Hey buddy I posted about this:

It seems you are underestimating the PS4 Pro.
Well, that`s BS. The game on PS4 Pro is far from running at stable 60 FPS in performance-mode. It feels more like hovering between 40 and 50 FPS.
To me it feels even worse to play this in performance-mode than playing Sekiro on Pro/X.
In quality-mode it runs fine most of the time, but there are severe framerate drops and split second freezes that oddly enough are not always reproducible.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Well, that`s BS. The game on PS4 Pro is far from running at stable 60 FPS in performance-mode. It feels more like hovering between 40 and 50 FPS.
To me it feels even worse to play this in performance-mode than playing Sekiro on Pro/X.
In quality-mode it runs fine most of the time, but there are severe framerate drops and split second freezes that oddly enough are not always reproducible.

there is a video above that proves is not 60 FPS and missing some effects

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
the Giantbomb quick look was done with a Pro and it didn't look good at all in terms of performance, and he even mentioned he had the screen freezes kind of like the ones the xbox one S has on the DF test.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order frame rate comparison testing the framerate on PS4 Pro vs PS4. Subscribe for more gaming tech analysis: http://bit.ly/VGTechSubscribe The version tested was 1.02. The default video options were used for performance testing.

PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1280x720 and the highest native resolution found being 1600x900. PS4 uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080.

PS4 Pro in the performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1344x756 and the highest native resolution found being 1600x900. PS4 Pro in the performance mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 1920x1080.

PS4 Pro in the resolution mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1728x972 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 2136x1201. PS4 Pro in the resolution mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction that can increase the pixel count up to 2560x1440.

1vyks4.png

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wow. I mean, I like DF but vgtech is really it if you are interested in raw numbers.
So base PS4 is 720p to 900p? Damn. I mean, the taa probably helps a lot, reconstruction, too.
And Pro also reaching 1440p is interesting, to say the least. But we already know that is has many settings dialed back in comparison to the X.
I hope they test the Xbox versions, too.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
It's good to use since you get more responsive controls, so really I only used it in difficult battles or when nothing was happening on screen.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess the verdict is "if you don't have a Pro console, don't get it"? This sounds really rough on base hardware.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess the verdict is "if you don't have a Pro console, don't get it"? This sounds really rough on base hardware.

Unfortunately yes. I have to imagine most of the games coming out in the final stretches of these consoles (and any cross-gen games that come next year onward) will be kinda trash on the base consoles and just passable on the mid-gens. Especially multi-platform games. Exclusives like TLoU 2 will still be good on the base.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately yes. I have to imagine most of the games coming out in the final stretches of these consoles (and any cross-gen games that come next year onward) will be kinda trash on the base consoles and just passable on the mid-gens. Especially multi-platform games. Exclusives like TLoU 2 will still be good on the base.

Sigh. I have a friend who worked on the game so I have to support it, but I was really hoping it would at least run decently.

Maybe I'll just leave it in the packaging and never play it. Or just buy it and then immediately trade it in for something else so I'm not just throwing $60 in a hole.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I had no issues with Sekiro on Pro but the hiccups on X for this are just constant. Games still fun but maybe a 1080/30 option should have been included. Is there a way to force this on Pro?

edit: by no issues I mean the drop in sekiro didn't seems as prevalent as they do here. They do seem to be focused more on transition areas but Ididnt think those transitions would be constant and not just going from one larger area to another (like say Link's Awakening)

Last edited:

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Man that sucks for regular Xbone owners, what's it like on a regular PS4?

Also what's up with the S seemingly having richer colours all around compared to the X? Just the nature of different capture cards?

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
What's interesting is that Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order on PS4 Pro doesn't drop below 60 FPS even during heavy combat sections. The only time I noticed a drop in the frames per second was when I entered a new area in the game.

That seems really odd if that's the case on Pro vs X. Unless the Pro's performance mode runs at a much lower resolution.

Sadly this is not the case, no version holds close to 60fps on consoles.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thanks for the VG and NXG vids and stats (saves me from watching them and getting spoiled). Feels like the game could do with a performance patch.

Mar 29, 2018
Sigh. I have a friend who worked on the game so I have to support it, but I was really hoping it would at least run decently.

Maybe I'll just leave it in the packaging and never play it. Or just buy it and then immediately trade it in for something else so I'm not just throwing $60 in a hole.
I mean... Imperfect performance doesn't immediately = a 100% trash and not worthwhile experience

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Clean looking game on X

c39b0ba5-b26b-4ffe-b6vujqm.png
Yeah it looks really clean on the "X". But once you switch to performance mode it looks incredibly blurry. Even in the menu when you see a big image of Cal, when switching between resolution and performance is a BIG difference. I played a lot of 1080p game, but something about this game when in performance mode it just seems way too blurry. I just been on resolution mode and while not perfect it is really good. Respawn needs to contact the Coalition and get some tips from them because Gears 5 runs at much higher resolution and at a pretty rock solid 60fps. They know Unreal where Respawn seem to struggle with it a bit.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Edit your first post 😂

I only saw this once in about 10 hours of play. Bummer you're getting it a lot

some of them do have weird phrasing because they're aliens though lol

Playing on Xbox One X, off of an external HD. It isn't something that ruins the game for me, I just definitely see it at times. Usually during the cut scenes.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

exactly my experience too, except that resolution mode also stutters a lot, Kashyyyk being the worst but it is also obvious on the first planet. the technical aspects of the game are in general not great (framerate, glitches, janky animations, hitboxes, washed out HDR)

performance mode is a complete mess

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The game seems to stutter a lot on Performance mode on Pro after like 20-30 minutes of gameplay. The game overall feels quite clunky to play at lower framerate. I usually don't play on consoles but I just finished playing Death Stranding so I'm sort of adjusted to 30FPS, yet the 30FPS here does not feel as nice. Must be something to do with the animations and the game's genre itself.

lol
You have to be pretty oblivious to framerates to not see that this game is almost never hitting 60. It often stays in low 40s, not even 50s. If it was in 50s most of the time then I could see how people may mistake it for stable 60FPS.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I tip my hat to The Coalition. First party, I know, but what they did with UE4...even on base Xbox One. It's absolutely nuts.
Well tbf, Gears is pretty much UE flagship. From what I understand TC and Epic collaborated to some extent on the engine as well or atleast did in the past.
But yea the disparity is rather large when you see the base Xbox is running at 720P/30, and the game is smaller in scale compared to Gears.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry putting in some serious weekend hours to bring us this so soon given the earlier comments, thank you!

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I can't stand it, to be honest. I am really debating with myself to wait until next gen console to play this game. By then it will most likely have received enough patches to resolve the current bugs, too, and will be much cheaper.

Patching is only going to take you so far. The game is really a next-gen game. We are at the end of a generation cycle, so a lot of the games coming out will barely run on base console hardware (i.e. Cyberpunk for example). At the start of next-gen, you'll see a lot of games like this one.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll find out for myself at some point soon, but Dark1x I am curious if you tried an SSD at any point on either of the consoles? I suppose not or you'd have said so.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
As DF has said, while the 'performance' modes are disappointing in reaching 60fps, I'm glad they're there as an option - largely for the (very likely) possibility of being able to play at a locked 60 at the highest reconstructed res on the next gen of consoles, hopefully without a patch. I would hope the vast majority of newer games would have this option for that very reason.

Would have thought though in the latest DF tests if they believe I/O is the bottleneck (and it seems to be) they test with an external SSD rather than another slightly-slower external HD, that would draw more stark comparisons I believe. From what I hear of the PC version it also gets these stutters too, but they're just that - stutters, not several-second pauses.