• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
X1S has not aged well but let's face it even at launch it was under powered.
That's true. It was a bad decision to rely on 32 MB ESRAM instead of 8 GB GDDR5-RAM.

Just bought a new gaming PC after 20 years (the ones between were only for university stuff). So I guess 1080p + 60 fps shouldn't be a problem with a Ryzen 3700X and RTX 2060 Super.

I really liked the performance mode of God of War, even if it couldn't deliver 60 fps. Still felt more fluid and responsive than 30 fps.

Feb 10, 2018
What ways? I see things missing in 1313 than in Fallen Order which is very very important visually (i.e. dynamic AO is missing, no good skin shader in the cutscenes and low polys also)

Agreed about DF doing a comparison. That would be awesome!
Note I said "in some ways" I'm sure fallen order has some visuals better then 1313, which is why a DF comparison would be cool.

To me the smoke effects and level of detail look better in 1313.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That's true. It was a bad decision to rely on 32 MB ESRAM instead of 8 GB GDDR5-RAM.

Just bought a new gaming PC after 20 years (the ones between were only for university stuff). So I guess 1080p + 60 fps shouldn't be a problem with a Ryzen 3700X and RTX 2060 Super.

I really liked the performance mode of God of War, even if it couldn't deliver 60 fps. Still felt more fluid and responsive than 30 fps.

It was just unfortunate for them. They decided on ESRAM to counter not having GGDR5 available. But them and Sony. Then suddenly it was and Sony could "easy" upgrade because they had normal RAM and no ESRAM and Xbox was already stuck in the ESRAM route and was to late to change all of that.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
i didn't get the impression from earlier trailers that the visuals would be anything special, but honestly taken aback how good the footage looks here

looks almost on par with uc4 to me

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why are you guys all surprised. Xbox S is having subpar performance for most third party games for last 2-3 years. It seems it not a priority for most developers.

This game doesn't even look super good to justify such low resolution and performance

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I would prefer it if the original Xbox was used instead of the S for these comparisons. More people should own it, as me, you would see the gap between the base 2013 hardware and 2017´s X even more. It would have been nice to see the PS4 Pro tech too, as that will be my version but I´ll just trust Respawn.

Good work out course and the tech/game looks great. Better late than never EA. I finally got my Jedi Knight 4.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox x in game is more detailed than its cutscenes. I image the cutscenes were made to mimic the base consoles.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Going to buy the PS4 base version, and upgrade to PS5 next year. With backwards compatibility I will get to enjoy a great Star Wars game twice ... Buying the 1X at this point would be monumentally dumb given that I don't care about gamepass

Last edited:

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Note I said "in some ways" I'm sure fallen order has some visuals better then 1313, which is why a DF comparison would be cool.

To me the smoke effects and level of detail look better in 1313.

I don't understand this. The demo level in 1313 and the first level on JFO pretty much have the same details and even the same color palette.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i didn't get the impression from earlier trailers that the visuals would be anything special, but honestly taken aback how good the footage looks here

looks almost on par with uc4 to me

ND is good but not ILM good. :) And that's my subjective opinion. Only The Order 1866 rivals this game in overall presentation. And the Order had film industry artists on it which explains the high quality assets.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The base Xbox has literally been since 2013, it just takes constant sub 900p and constant sub 30fps until people start really complaining.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Performance wise is worse that Gears 5 but graphics wise (Detail, textures etc) is it close? Gears 5 also has some of the best HDR this gen. Unreal 4 in the hands of the right developer can be a stunner. After I watch the 2nd episode of Mandalorian I'll start Fallen Order.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sure it does

It "might" look better, but that's easier when you don't give a shit about the actual game itself

there isnt a sliding scale correlation between visuals and a game being good/bad. battlefront looks better because its on a far more performant engine. the problems with the game are all down to the game designers decisions. it has nothing to do with the visuals.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
GOW5 4K 60fps to this. More destructive physics perhaps? Epic have more knowledge of UE4?
I think God of War was 1080p and didn't run that well either on performance mode.

Unless you're talking about Gears 5 then disregard my post. ;p

edit: wow it's late, forgot there is no God of War 5. Time to sleep.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Wow that's pretty rough all the way around. Going to see if I can get it smooth on 5.1Ghz 9900KS and 2080ti AMP for 3440x1440 Gysnc. Hopefully ~100fps with mix of high/ultra. Any similar experiences for high refresh users out there so far?

Nov 8, 2017
The main technical flaw I'm noticing all the time is how unstable the lightsaber is with camera motion or when it occludes anything fast moving. Any fast camera pans or holding it up against a moving skyline (during the train section for example) or fast moving object (like a spinning fan) and the effect immediately breaks down. It looks like a dreadful smear.

In most games I'd not be bothered but this is Lightsaber: The Game, it's your only weapon and you use it constantly for offense, defense and illumination. You're going to notice these artefacts even as a casual player imo.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. GOW 5 lol.

microsoft 1st party have a completely custom branch of UE4 they have been working on the entire generation. its probably entirely rewritten on the rendering side.

Interesting. It's weird because many of the UE4 games, open world likes Fortnite, PUBG, Days Gone all have severe, or well noticeably a lot of pop up, so maybe MS have re-written the rendering side of it.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
I think God of War was 1080p and didn't run that well either on performance mode.

Unless you're talking about Gears 5 then disregard my post. ;p

edit: wow it's late, forgot there is now no God of War 5. Time to sleep.
GOW on Pro. visually was spectacular and features the most impressive use of HDR I've seen. It was like I was playing a next gen game in a way on my 4K TV. I played in resolution mode? 4K CBR.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Performance wise is worse that Gears 5 but graphics wise (Detail, textures etc) is it close? Gears 5 also has some of the best HDR this gen. Unreal 4 in the hands of the right developer can be a stunner. After I watch the 2nd episode of Mandalorian I'll start Fallen Order.

I can't speak for the console users, but on PC it has better artistic assets and the materials are much better. This is the best implementation of UE4 this gen.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Disagree. Battlefront had excellent textures using the photogrammetry. I'll give it that. But it was a FPS with little to no variety. I can't endorse that as being superior at all.

just compare the desert level in battlefront to the desert level here. the difference is rather stark. the grassy level in the video also looks dramatically worse than endor in battlefront.

Oct 27, 2017
An update, the load stuttering on base ps4 on the first planet turned out to be not as frequent as it seemed it might be. Was able to get on ok. Game is more filmic than BF games, even with film grain and chromatic aberration turned off. Endor in BF 2015 was something special, I'm not expecting that out of this game. Still, things look very nice in this game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, has there been an update yet in regards to the PS4 and PS4 Pro versions?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's way too inconsistent to look as good as UC4 overall. For example, the night rainy level looks better than UC4's marooned level (the one with the rain) but the grassland level shown in this video looks terrible, like it belongs in Just Cause 3 or Watch Dogs 1.
The grassland area looks awesome, what are you talking about?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The first area immediately after the introduction level is the low point of the game visually.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Despite the issues in the game i hope more devs start doing this - next gen it will run at a locked 60 and i will be very happy they included this mode
I don't know why not every game offers such a mode. And also a dynamic resolution. It makes your game future proof come next gen with free upgrades and lets people have more incentive to buy your "old"game.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Intro mission was a lot of fun but really surprised at how rough it feels on X. Combat is fun though.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't a lot of users saying the PS4 Pro version doesn't hold 60FPS?
its not even close. you have hickups everytime a new area loads (which happens way to often) and those hickups can stay for up to 30 seconds. and there are the classic performance issues. when fighting more than 2 enemies, the framerate takes a dive with every lightsaber swing. - ps4 pro, performance mode.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Is there a consensus on brightness and hdr on/off for ps4 pro?
I find the game to look a tad washed out and my lightsaber looks more like in the reveal and does not have the "white core" look from the newer trailers.