• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Hey buddy I posted about this:

It seems you are underestimating the PS4 Pro.

I don't mean to sound harsh (and I'd love for it to be true), but I think it's more likely that you aren't sensitive enough to the framerate to be aware of drops below 60. I'm partly basing this on the 1X version seeming to run between 40-55. In the sense that I don't doubt the Pro could run slightly better than that with lower settings, but the "lock" you're describing would be an anomaly.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for the video, I don't care much for the xbox versions myself but it's nice to see tech reviews nonetheless, it's still fascinating to listen to the info.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mean to sound harsh (and I'd love for it to be true), but I think it's more likely that you aren't sensitive enough to the framerate to be aware of drops below 60. I'm partly basing this on the 1X version seeming to run between 40-55. In the sense that I don't doubt the Pro could run slightly better than that with lower settings, but the "lock" you're describing would be an anomaly.

I can sense FPS drops even beyond 60 FPS ans I am allergic to such drops. I was just posting an article talking about PS4 Pro. That is all. I didn't test the game.
I will wait DF or other analysers of renown.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Performance is just a no go on X. There is no way it's locked 60fps on Pro, that would just be ridiculous to be honest.

I do wonder what resolution Pro runs at quality mode, because if that's 1440p as well, that would be weird. That would mean they didn't take full advantage of the X at all.

Oct 28, 2017
First off, to all DF people on here; thanks for the hard work. Grabbed the XBX version last night at midnight, but looking forward to seeing your thoughts on how the 2 consoles compare (getting the game for a PS4 friend for Xmas).

Second.....Jesus H Chirst. Some of the rest of you need to grow up. These people providing a free service to you is not something you have a Burger King "Have It Your Way!" style right to. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all and move on to another thread.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The game has the most quality assets I've seen this generation. I can see why it's pretty heavy on the consoles. They are out of their league with this game. You guys can always wait on next-gen to play the game.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
In the course of an hour I've gone from considering buying that $199 Fallen Order XBOS bundle to play this to realizing that may not be the best idea if the performance is a bit dodgy.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Xbox One S looks atrocious in nearly every DF video. Next gen will be such a massive leap for those still using that ancient thing.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure why Frostbite is brought up early in the thread as Respawn has never worked with it. Titanfall and its sequel and Apex are all built on Valve's Source engine (a way modified version) so it would have been much more likely for this game to be on that, but the guys in charge said UE4 and Zampella agreed. Respawn are about as far from mainstream EA as it gets, which they've earned IMO.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
X1S has not aged well but let's face it even at launch it was under powered.
X1X however is at the other end of the scale, after fully watching the video it hardly ever drops frames and when it does its very minor.
If the game has good HDR then I'm buying it on X rather than pc due to no RTX perks.

Oct 27, 2017
Weird since XBox had the marketing in the US. Wonder what's preventing smooth running at times on XBO. Hopefully they'll figure it out. Witcher 3 on PS4 was broken for months before getting resolved, and even GTA V on PS4 was broken at one point but got fixed. So this isn't the first time this kind of thing has existed.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Performance is just a no go on X. There is no way it's locked 60fps on Pro, that would just be ridiculous to be honest.

I do wonder what resolution Pro runs at quality mode, because if that's 1440p as well, that would be weird. That would mean they didn't take full advantage of the X at all.

We don't know that yet. I'll take near locked 1440p on X over 1800p and a 25-30 frame rate.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Exactly. That's the way things go on YouTube - it sucks. I've long wished I could spend more time on videos and do larger productions but...that's just not the way things work. We have to survive as best as we can.

I think you do a pretty damn fine job, all things considered. Keep up the good work, Jon.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Thanks for the summary OP.

Looks like I'll be playing quality mode but perhaps after a patch. Hopefully Death Stranding & remaining levels of Hitman 2 will see me through.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Hey Dark1x, I may have missed it in the video, but what patch was this analysis done on? If it is still on a version that was not supposed to have improved performance (and if that patch has even been released yet, I don't know), do you have any general impressions on if the patch actual improved the small performance blips seen on xbox one x in quality mode (if it has been released)?

Also, thanks for the great work. I know what a slog it can be for all of you at digital foundry and really appreciate all the work you guys put in. It really helps me make purchasing decisions.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Dark1x, I may have missed it in the video, but what patch was this analysis done on? If it is still on a version that was not supposed to have improved performance (and if that patch has even been released yet, I don't know), do you have any general impressions on if the patch actual improved the small performance blips seen on xbox one x in quality mode (if it has been released)?

Also, thanks for the great work. I know what a slog it can be for all of you at digital foundry and really appreciate all the work you guys put in. It really helps me make purchasing decisions.
Is the patch live? This was all captured mostly yesterday.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Is a patch definitively being prepared for launch (or thereabouts)?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oooph poor Xbox One users, feel bad for them. PS4 Pro version ain't looking hot either, going by Giant Bomb's QL.

Then PC version ain't looking hot either, from the PC performance thread. Wait a while until more patches.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the devs really struggled to get the Xbox One S version working.
It fact I'm surprised it made it through certification with that level of bugs.
Guess Microsoft don't care.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
That would be some voodoo magic if the pro can do 60fps @ 1080p and the X can't.

No kidding. I really want to hear more about the PS4 Pro doing 60fps. Because I already have a Pro, and this Xmas I was toying between upgrading to an Xbox One X and a GPU upgrade (probably the 5700). The selling point was that I'm sitting on some Best Buy gift certificates and I'd be able to bring the X/Jedi bundle down to around $300. But if it indeed can't lock 1080p/60 on the X, maybe I look at just getting this for the Pro and saving on either upgrade.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I've played a couple of hours on my X and it looks fabulous. Such a gorgeous game.

My son has just been playing on his S and you know what? It looked really good. Yeah I know what the resolution raw numbers are. But still, the game is gorgeous on the S thanks to the HDR, design and lighting.

Could it run better? Of course it could. But honestly if you let raw numbers put you off one of the best games of the year you're daft.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
I have tried performance mode while VRR was enabled and it didn't change much at all, if at all. Still plenty of microstutters when rotating the camera. Sadly it isn't like KH3 where VRR helped greatly.

Also, 1440p is rather disappointing, surely the X can do more.

Damn, That's disappointing. thanks for testing that out.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is the patch live? This was all captured mostly yesterday.

I just booted my copy again and it prompted me for a 1.02 update on PS4. That definitely wasn't available late last night.

Edit: not suggesting anything here, it's incredible you got the video out as fast as you did. Just wanted to check to see if there had been any update since I last saw.

Oct 27, 2017
Base ps4 full install after full database rebuild, then patch 1.02.

I'm only at the point where you get control for the first time. Game does look great. One minor stutter during the opening fly-through (please SSD save us next gen). Input lag seems minimal enough.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Even if the performance mode isn't quite where folks want it, it's great they give the choice and I love that's become a trend in console games. Especially helps potentially future proof for backwards compat next gen :)

First off, to all DF people on here; thanks for the hard work. Grabbed the XBX version last night at midnight, but looking forward to seeing your thoughts on how the 2 consoles compare (getting the game for a PS4 friend for Xmas).

Second.....Jesus H Chirst. Some of the rest of you need to grow up. These people providing a free service to you is not something you have a Burger King "Have It Your Way!" style right to. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all and move on to another thread.

^ Cosigned

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with politely worded critique...but making needlessly snarky and rude comments, especially when folks from the channel post here, is so gross.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Word on the street is turning off user data sharing helps framerate

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Chiming in on the PC version, it's been great so far (@ 1440p). Mostly around 110-120 FPS with everything maxed out with occasional dips into the 90's when outdoors.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I played for 2 hours today and 99% of that were cutscenes. This game must be horrible to do any gameplay comparison on just because it takes so long from the start To get to normal gameplay.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
What is all this nonsense talk of the Pro running at 60fps in performance mode? I've played the first two hours of the game on version 1.02 and it's most definitely not a smooth 60fps.

I would say it's performance feels very similar to the X version shown in today's video from Dark1x

Also an important note. Giant Bomb mentioned during their quick look video that they were told the next patch will specifically address performance.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What is all this nonsense talk of the Pro running at 60fps in performance mode? I've played the first two hours of the game on version 1.02 and it's most definitely not a smooth 60fps.

I would say it's performance feels very similar to the X version shown in today's video from Dark1x

Also an important note. Giant Bomb mentioned during their quick look video that they were told the next patch will specifically address performance.

Yep played 3-4 hours last night on patch 1.02 and the Pro is definitely performing similar to how the X is shown in the DF video, it's far from smooth.

Really hope this new patch is real and helps make it far smoother.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Agree w/ Dark1x that resolution is the way to go on the X. I started w/ performance, and yeah, VRR w/ the Q9FN didn't do much. The game just spends too much time below the 48fps threshold.

Once I switched over to resolution, the game felt much more stable. The motion blur helps to mask the lower frame rate well, and input latency doesn't feel terrible with the change. Nothing like Borderlands 3 where dropping to 30fps felt terrible after playing in performance mode.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yet again I have to high five myself for trading my XB1 base model toward an X. It's been a beautiful investment for multiplatform games alone.

I watched an early stream of Fallen Order the other day. It was played on a base PS4, I think. The glitchy animations and jerky transitions greatly detracted from the game.

Combat still looks fun enough to justify a discounted purchase, but yeah, this one needed more time in the oven.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a shame this is yet another game released recently that just doesn't give a shit about base console users. And I say that as someone who doesn't even own a base system anymore. It should hold way more weight in a review then it currently does imo. Who cares if a game is good and runs well on half the console hardware it's available on of it runs like crap on the other half? This just feels like Control all over again.