• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Don't take it out on me. This is on the publisher.

Waiting longer to include PS4 would damage the chances of success for this video. I'd have loved to get both versions in there but it wasn't possible. That video will come later.

im honestly not trying to take it out on you, I was eager to see how the comparison came out, and just knew you guys would have a video for both today. Im just disappointed its not. No issue with you guys there. Just wish EA would have gave both copies.

Ill just rent the game. doenst seem like a technical feet that i thought it would be.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
From playing this on the PS4 Pro, I expect the PS4 version to be a very similar outcome. It's far from smooth.

Shame Respawn hasn't got it locked to 60fps, hope they can make it better with a patch.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
To be blunt: I care less about how well a game looks or plays on a platform vs. platform basis and more about whether or not it runs well at all on the platform I own. Comparisons don't really matter to me, but I would prefer to be able to go into a game knowing it won't perform as badly as Control did on base PS4.
So what you're saying is - you don't care if we lose money and work ourselves to death as long as you get your information? Got it. I'll be sure to stop sleeping then.

im honestly not trying to take it out on you, I was eager to see how the comparison came out, and just knew you guys would have a video for both today. Im just disappointed its not. No issue with you guys there. Just wish EA would have gave both copies.

Ill just rent the game. doenst seem like a technical feet that i thought it would be.
The situation is even crazier than you'd think. We had a very very difficult time getting our hands on this game. So much so that it felt as if there was something wrong with it.

...and clearly, there are technical issues but the game is so good that it overcomes them (at least on X).

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to guess Day 1 culture among potential viewers, which would mean they would leave a lot of clicks on the table by not having their analysis up Day 1 alongside the game.
Exactly. That's the way things go on YouTube - it sucks. I've long wished I could spend more time on videos and do larger productions but...that's just not the way things work. We have to survive as best as we can.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So what you're saying is - you don't care if we lose money and work ourselves to death as long as you get your information? Got it. I'll be sure to stop sleeping then.

That's not what I mean. More just that the console wars part of an analysis is less important to me than making sure I buy a game that won't make me violently ill to play. Obviously this is more EA's fault than anyone else's.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
As always, thank you DF for the work you do. Got the video queued to watch later.

I'd suggest to people entering the thread that you don't demand video schedules from DF to fit your specific preferences. Watch the tech breakdown now and you'll get your platform breakdown in future as always.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
1440p is a surprise, honestly the visuals are not that incredible to demand 1440p. It looks great though but not quite RDR2.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Xbox One version sounds like a hot mess. I won't watch the video yet because I won't be able to dig into the game for a few hours still but I feel bad for anyone still buying titles on the base One/One S.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's not what I mean. More just that the console wars part of an analysis is less important to me than making sure I buy a game that won't make me violently ill to play. Obviously this is more EA's fault than anyone else's.
Ohhhh...apologies.

Yes, I understand. I didn't even know what the PS4 version looked like until two hours ago! It would have meant the video wouldn't arrive until like...Tuesday next week? Though I'll probably end up working all weekend in the end.

Did they comment on the HDR?
No...but it's really quite good!

Perhaps the king of HDR, Evilboris, will have something say?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Can people who derail Digital Foundry threads get warnings from here on out? It's honestly becoming tiring.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhh...apologies.

Yes, I understand. I didn't even know what the PS4 version looked like until two hours ago! It would have meant the video wouldn't arrive until like...Tuesday next week? Though I'll probably end up working all weekend in the end.

Yeah, that's scummy of EA for sure. I wish that publishers would just be honest with us so we wouldn't have to treat a new game purchase like stepping into a mine field. I was so excited to play a Remedy game again when Control came out and it became clear almost immediately that there is no reason to get that game if you have a base PS4...and that's all I've got right now. Basically went from day one to "wait for next gen".

Don't burn yourself out!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's scummy of EA for sure. I wish that publishers would just be honest with us so we wouldn't have to treat a new game purchase like stepping into a mine field. I was so excited to play a Remedy game again when Control came out and it became clear almost immediately that there is no reason to get that game if you have a base PS4...and that's all I've got right now. Basically went from day one to "wait for next gen".

Don't burn yourself out!
I can't remember - I think we tested the patch and Control is now a lot better on base PS4? I need to check. It was indeed horrible at launch.

Most of the U.S outlets reviewed the game on PS4.
Yeah, I noticed that. US outlets received PS4, UK/EU got Xbox - at least that's the way it's going.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I guess we're reaching the point where base consoles are a bit of an afterthought. I skipped Control for it and I guess I'll be skipping this one.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I now have a major quandary. Do I buy it on PS4, suffer through some performance issues now, and enjoy even more when PS5 comes out next year? Do I buy the 1X bundle for better performance, knowing that much, much better consoles are coming next year?

I would really like to see the PS4 performance to make a determination, but I'm thinking it will just be the PS4, with the knowledge that it will be a LOT better in backwards compatibility mode on the PS5. Disappointing

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought the game would be locked 60 due to the ads and the fact that it looks good but not "WOW good".

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember - I think we tested the patch and Control is now a lot better on base PS4? I need to check. It was indeed horrible at launch.

I think the improvement was largely for PS4 Pro. I played most of the second half of the game and sidequests post patch and it still dropped like a rock the moment any of the shield guys came into the picture. It might have been slightly more stable elsewhere, but it might also have been the placebo effect.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Ohhhh...apologies.

No...but it's really quite good!

Perhaps the king of HDR, Evilboris, will have something say?

Ah ok it looked a bit washed out to me, shows what I know :)

Thanks for all the work you lot do at digital foundry though!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The S version looking prettay, prettay poor. Hopefully next-gen consoles can deal with UE4 better.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

At this point I'm probably going to wait for next gen to try Control, even if the patch DOES improve the experience a lot. My PS4 sounds like a dying farm animal right now and I'd rather not push it over the edge until I absolutely have to. I'm legitimately amazed RDR2 didn't kill the damn thing.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Don't take it out on me. This is on the publisher.

Waiting longer to include PS4 would damage the chances of success for this video. I'd have loved to get both versions in there but it wasn't possible. That video will come later.
There are 2 platforms in this video.
We can then put out multiple videos - get information out early, not lose the huge amount of views we would otherwise miss, not overly burden the person making the video with too many platforms. Just because a video does not cover the platforms or the cross platform comparisons you want, does not make it "too early".

Sometimes I literally just cover a PC version. Does that make it "too early?"

The fact that you guys have to constantly come on here and explain yourselves pains me. Please keep up the good work and i would happily take more videos hearing your dulcet tones.

Thanks for the videos guys, looking forward to the PC & PS4 comparisons. I think i'm going to go with the PC version at some point.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
To be blunt: I care less about how well a game looks or plays on a platform vs. platform basis and more about whether or not it runs well at all on the platform I own. Comparisons don't really matter to me, but I would prefer to be able to go into a game knowing it won't perform as badly as Control did on base PS4.

to be blunt, Digital Foundry makes decisions on the videos they make with the goal in mind being the success of their platform. Not to cater specifically to you.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow at those freezes. Ugh. I've read elsewhere that the Pro version has a lot of problems too, so I might just wait a bit and see what this game gets in terms of performance patch support... or in an extreme case, wait until next gen and play via what I hope is enhanced BC.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Interesting. Hopefully doing VRR can smooth out some of the performance mode on the X.
Yes I'm really curious about this, hoping the video gets into it a bit once I can watch. I remember them saying it helped with Sekiro.

I have tried performance mode while VRR was enabled and it didn't change much at all, if at all. Still plenty of microstutters when rotating the camera. Sadly it isn't like KH3 where VRR helped greatly.

Also, 1440p is rather disappointing, surely the X can do more.

Numador

Oct 28, 2018
Someone currently playing the PC version? I am debating between purchasing it for PC or for the X.

I have a GTX 1080 and a 7700K, but depending on the quality of the PC version, I sometimes prefer a slight downgrade and hassle free HDR settings than to mess with the alternative; my idea was to play at 4k 30fps locked or 1440p 60fps locked, so unless the PC version is a disaster and after checking the DF video, I think I'm not going with the console this time.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the resolution metrics on the Pro will be.

Will Pro's HQ mode be 1080p and Performance mode 900p ?

Dark1x wanna give us an early sneak peak please ?

Hey buddy I posted about this:

It seems you are underestimating the PS4 Pro.

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order has two modes like most PS4 Pro games, performance and resolution. The resolution mode locks the game at 30 FPS with a higher resolution. The game holds 30 FPS quite easily with occasional single frame drops.
The performance mode drops Jedi Fallen Order's resolution to 1080p with 60 FPS. As I mentioned above, the game holds a solid 60 FPS. What's interesting is that Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order on PS4 Pro doesn't drop below 60 FPS even during heavy combat sections. The only time I noticed a drop in the frames per second was when I entered a new area in the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

What's interesting is that Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order on PS4 Pro doesn't drop below 60 FPS even during heavy combat sections. The only time I noticed a drop in the frames per second was when I entered a new area in the game.

That seems really odd if that's the case on Pro vs X. Unless the Pro's performance mode runs at a much lower resolution.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Most definitely. Usually the PC vdei

What's interesting is that Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order on PS4 Pro doesn't drop below 60 FPS even during heavy combat sections. The only time I noticed a drop in the frames per second was when I entered a new area in the game.

That seems really odd if that's the case on Pro vs X. Unless the Pro's performance mode runs at a much lower resolution.

Didn't you read the part performance mode runs at 1080p?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I tip my hat to The Coalition. First party, I know, but what they did with UE4...even on base Xbox One. It's absolutely nuts.

I just finished full co-op playthrough in what was basically a LAN setting, and it was fantastic seeing how close and how relatively well the base Xbox played compared to both high-end PC and 1X.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are games where the performance mode is better on PS4 version. Evil within 2 comes to mind.

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
It's a bit annoying as a base PS4 owner that I feel disregarded. Really hard to fully enjoy a game knowing the game was designed with the pro/X in mind