• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One only coverage for now, as EA did not provide PS4 review code

Xbox One only coverage for now, as EA did not provide PS4 review code. This is a storming title from Respawn Entertainment, and a real showcase for Unreal Engine 4 - but let's just say that the quality of the experience varies dramatically between Xbox One X and Xbox One S. With that in mind, we'll try to bring you PS4 and Pro impressions as soon as we can.

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why even bother doing a DF video if you only have one platform to analyze on? This seems too early.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Performance mode is what I was going to play it on once I got around to getting it, so I'm disappointed to see it's not stable at all.

Summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Summary:

- Gap between XBO and XBX is more significant than usual.
- Running on Unreal 4 (instead of EA's staple Frostbite)

- XBX offers 2 modes: Quality: 1440p/30 FPS and Performance: 1080p/Unlocked.
- Base XBO runs at 720p

- Minor glitches noticed throughout gives the game an unpolished look
- XBO has a lot more issues compared to X.
- Texture pop-in can occur on X as well but much more prevalent on XBO.
- Game straight up freezes for a few seconds regularly on XBO (loading issue)
- XBO also fails to load world areas in time if moving quickly between places

- XBX "Quality Mode" is near-locked 30 FPS with dips in cut-scenes in opening levels.
- In later areas during combat, frame rate does dip a bit but mostly stable 30 FPS through out the game.
- XBX "Performance Mode" hovers around 45~50 FPS with some lighter areas closer to 60 (but never a stable 60)
- Average is low enough that even using VRR displays don't make the game feel stable.

- XBO has a lot more frequent dips in starting areas.
- In later areas the game feels more sluggish, frame rate is in mid 20's for long stretches and the above issues compound them.

- Summary: XBX Quality Mode best way to play the game. Performance Mode feels more like a future proof option.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Summary:

- Base XBO runs at 720p

- XBX "Quality Mode" is near-locked 30 FPS with dips in cut-scenes in opening levels.
- In later areas during combat, frame rate does dip a bit but mostly stable 30 FPS through out the game.
- XBX "Performance Mode" hovers around 45~50 FPS with some lighter areas closer to 60 (but never a stable 60)
- Average is low enough that even using VRR displays don't make the game feel stable.

- In later areas the game feels more sluggish, frame rate is in mid 20's for long stretches and the above issues compound them.

- Summary: XBX Quality Mode best way to play the game. Performance Mode feels more like a future proof option.

reading this...

im so glad i just bought an x LOL

even tho i would totally get used to the xbox one performance after a few hours

Why even bother doing a DF video if you only have one platform to analyze on? This seems too early.

because not everytin is fucking conzul warz, dude

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
A little disappointed to hear that VRR doesn't even make it feel stable?

That said 1440p/almost locked 30 is still good enough for me. Might have to pull the trigger despite everything releasing at once.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Summary:

- Base XBO runs at 720p

Oh boy. The sooner MS can sunset the XB1S, the better. With every new release the console performs worse and worse.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the resolution metrics on the Pro will be.

Will Pro's HQ mode be 1080p and Performance mode 900p ?

Dark1x wanna give us an early sneak peak please ?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Weird they couldn't get PS4 codes considering most of the big U.S outlets reviewed the game on PS4.

Also worth noting, in Giant Bomb's quick look video they said they were told the next patch would specifically focus on improving performance.

I knew it was far from 4k. Quite soft for advertised 4k. Going qualityb
The store page and the Xbox.com page for the game never mentioned 4K.

I wonder what the resolution metrics on the Pro will be.

Will Pro's HQ mode be 1080p and Performance mode 900p ?
The menus on Pro specifically mention the performance mode is 1080p.

Resolution mode looks like 1440p to me on Pro for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Man come on. if your not going to compare it to the ps4 versions, just wait until you are able too. thats the whole point of these videos to most. smh

I was looking forward to the comparison, to see if its even worth buying.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
yet again showing why Respawn are insanely smart at the decision they made. Guarantee not using frostbite made this such an easier job on the team and what they wanted to do.

EA needs to stop forcing Frostbite down everyones throat

I can only imagine how much better bioware would have been off for Andromeda and Anthem using UE4 instead of needing to overhaul the frostbite engine just to get what they wanted it to do to a reasonable standard.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
Summary:

- Base XBO runs at 720p

I dont mean to ignite a console war but the one s running at 720p in 2019 is downright embarrassing, I know most games dont run at this res but we've seen several big titles running sub 1080p on XO this gen! Glad MS got their act together with the X..can you imagine how think would have looked like if mid gen consoles hadn't been introduced this gen...

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The menus on Pro specifically mention the performance mode is 1080p.

Resolution mode looks like 1440p to me on Pro for what it's worth.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Guessing Pro will generally be worse performing in both modes compared to XBX (unless there are other visual settings which have been reduced to compensate)

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Man come on. if your not going to compare it to the ps4 versions, just wait until you are able too. thats the whole point of these videos to most. smh

You couldn't act more childishly entitled if you tried. They can put out as many videos as they want. They didn't have PS4 code, so they went Xbox only for the first video.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the confirmation.

Guessing Pro will generally be worse performing in both modes compared to XBX (unless there are other visual settings which have been reduced to compensate)

yes, we have seen some devs scale a few things back where the Pro ends up with a higher framerate at launch, usually X gets a patch down the line that puts it above where it should be.

Either way, most likely the refreshed consoles both will perform solid, especially since we know the very next patch is all performance

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Don't take it out on me. This is on the publisher.

Waiting longer to include PS4 would damage the chances of success for this video. I'd have loved to get both versions in there but it wasn't possible. That video will come later.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
There are 2 platforms in this video.
We can then put out multiple videos - get information out early, not lose the huge amount of views we would otherwise miss, not overly burden the person making the video with too many platforms. Just because a video does not cover the platforms or the cross platform comparisons you want, does not make it "too early".

Sometimes I literally just cover a PC version. Does that make it "too early?"

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
You couldn't act more childishly entitled if you tried. They can put out as many videos as they want. They didn't have PS4 code, so they went Xbox only for the first video.
Seriously, it's incredibly helpful to still have one set of consoles analyzed since almost no other publication touches on these things.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
looks like the findings match up with impressions Mike Mahardy gave on the beastcast this morning about popin and textures and sometimes platforms failing to load. Maybe I am better off holding off until more patches clean up some of these issues

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 platforms in this video.
We can then put out multiple videos - get information out early, not lose the huge amount of views we would otherwise miss, not overly burden the person making the video with too many platforms. Just because a video does not cover the platforms or the cross platform comparisons you want, does not make it "too early".

To be blunt: I care less about how well a game looks or plays on a platform vs. platform basis and more about whether or not it runs well at all on the platform I own. Comparisons don't really matter to me, but I would prefer to be able to go into a game knowing it won't perform as badly as Control did on base PS4.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Hopefully doing VRR can smooth out some of the performance mode on the X.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be blunt: I care less about how well a game looks or plays on a platform vs. platform basis and more about whether or not it runs well at all on the platform I own. Comparisons don't really matter to me, but I would prefer to be able to go into a game knowing it won't perform as badly as Control did on base PS4.
And again, that was completely out of their hands. They can't provide impressions of a game if it wasn't made available to them by the publisher.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit disappointing that it's only 1440p on Xbox One X, but at least it's at a rock solid 30fps.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I played the game to completion on the X. Then I started the PC version and it was a far better experience. I didn't have any odd hiccups or missing textures.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

ltnba96kbn.jpg

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
looks like the findings match up with impressions Mike Mahardy gave on the beastcast this morning about popin and textures and sometimes platforms failing to load. Maybe I am better off holding off until more patches clean up some of these issues

Unreal Engine doing its thing, haha.

I chuckle when playing The Outer Worlds (playing on PC and X1X) as textures/polys pop-in. It must be a bear to work with even with highly successful studios.

Can't wait to play this on my One X. Do they mention HDR in the video? (can't watch right now)

Told my wife this is what I want for my Birthday. 😁

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And again, that was completely out of their hands. They can't provide impressions of a game if it wasn't made available to them by the publisher.

Then I guess EA is hoping people will just buy it on PS4 sight unseen. If a publisher refuses to release code for a platform, that's almost never a good sign.